Is there a grad transfer right under our noses? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Is there a grad transfer right under our noses?

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Didn't Oregon just have three kids enter the portal? What's going on out there?
Being discussed on the General board:

Reaction Score
Being discussed on the General board:

Kelly Graves is a great coach. But I was surprised that he blamed his players when they lost to #12 seed Belmont. He criticized their toughness & inability to overcome adversity. I wonder if the players resented his insults & don't want to play for him.

Reaction Score
Kelly Graves is a great coach. But I was surprised that he blamed his players when they lost to #12 seed Belmont. He criticized their toughness & inability to overcome adversity. I wonder if the players resented his insults & don't want to play for him.
NIL and wanting to do your nails and hair over basketball will do that for yah.

Reaction Score
Lou Lopez Senechal, the MAAC Player of the Year from Fairfield, is a 6'1" guard/forward from France. She averages 19 ppg and 40% shooting from the arc. She's reportedly in the portal, looking for a 5th season.

Didn’t we try this with Evelyn Adebayo from Murray State where she averaged 18 points a game. I’m just not sure it’s the same level of competition.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Didn’t we try this with Evelyn Adebayo from Murray State where she averaged 18 points a game. I’m just not sure it’s the same level of competition.
Fair question but I think it's not a fair comparison. Evelyn was never a 1st team all conference till her senior year, and she was not the POY of the conference. At 6'1", she was undersized in the post and could not match her success against bigger, stronger, better players at UCONN and in our conference.

Lopez was 1st team all conference 3X and POY for the conference her senior year. She led her team to the NCAA's and in the 1st round loss to Texas, scored 17 points, had 5 boards, and 2 steals in 5-10 shooting including 2-2 from 3 (also 5-6 from the FT line).

I'm not saying she's THE answer, but for a team who needs guard depth, she could be a good piece. It's not like we are asking her to be a starter.

Reaction Score
Little sister Hana Mühl, 5'9" point guard, decommitted from Illinois because of a coaching change. It could be cool to have them both on the team.

It would be cool but then why didn't Hana come to UConn in the first place? Seems like she wanted/wants to chart her own path & not follow big sister???

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think it depends. UConn has 4 talented G/W’s, and perhaps 5 if Aubrey is healthy. What the Huskies need is a role player who can learn UConn’s system quickly and contribute as part of the regular rotation.

For some players who are used to having the ball in their hands all the time, like Evelyn, that’s a hard transition to make. For others, like Evina, the transition is seamless.

Lopez appears to be a versatile G/W that can do a lot of different things. The question then becomes, “Is she willing to come to UConn and accept a reduced role in order to play for the greatest program in the history of WBB?”

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It would be cool but then why didn't Hana come to UConn in the first place? Seems like she wanted/wants to chart her own path & not follow big sister???
I don’t think Geno recruited Hana Muhl.

Reaction Score
Fair question but I think it's not a fair comparison. Evelyn was never a 1st team all conference till her senior year, and she was not the POY of the conference. At 6'1", she was undersized in the post and could not match her success against bigger, stronger, better players at UCONN and in our conference.

Lopez was 1st team all conference 3X and POY for the conference her senior year. She led her team to the NCAA's and in the 1st round loss to Texas, scored 17 points, had 5 boards, and 2 steals in 5-10 shooting including 2-2 from 3 (also 5-6 from the FT line).

I'm not saying she's THE answer, but for a team who needs guard depth, she could be a good piece. It's not like we are asking her to be a starter.
If you had a choice would you choose Abbey Myers or Lopez?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
If you had a choice would you choose Abbey Myers or Lopez?
Good question. Meyers had 29 points against Kentucky in Princeton's big win in the NCAA's, and then only 11 on a poor shooting night in a very close loss to Indiana.

Myers was a starter her senior year but not before that. had great numbers her last year...

1649968228052.png

Lopez - did she play in a lesser league, or did Fairfield have an easier schedule? her numbers are better;

1649968451335.png

Similar numbers their senior seasons, but Lopez had a better more consistent career. Averaged more points, but also played more minutes this past y ear, was a better 3-point shooter and better FT shooter as well. But apparently Myers is likely headed to Maryland or UNC. So it's not about who would we prefer, but who can we get? :)

Reaction Score
Good question. Meyers had 29 points against Kentucky in Princeton's big win in the NCAA's, and then only 11 on a poor shooting night in a very close loss to Indiana.

Myers was a starter her senior year but not before that. had great numbers her last year...

View attachment 75598

Lopez - did she play in a lesser league, or did Fairfield have an easier schedule? her numbers are better;

View attachment 75599

Similar numbers their senior seasons, but Lopez had a better more consistent career. Averaged more points, but also played more minutes this past y ear, was a better 3-point shooter and better FT shooter as well. But apparently Myers is likely headed to Maryland or UNC. So it's not about who would we prefer, but who can we get? :)
I was hoping Berube might have a little influence with Myers.

D895FFB1-A440-4C0E-BF82-FD1174F23936.jpeg

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

View attachment 75598

View attachment 75599

I am a lot more familiar with Meyers, having watched several Princeton games this past season. But today, I scoured the internet for video on Lopez-Senechal to familiarize myself with her game. To me it’s 6 of one and a half dozen of the other. Both players are big guards/wings, active, multidimensional and they can light it up from the arc. I’d be happy with either one at UConn.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I am a lot more familiar with Meyers, having watched several Princeton games this past season. But today, I scoured the internet for video on Lopez-Senechal to familiarize myself with her game. To me it’s 6 of one and a half dozen of the other. Both players are big guards/wings, active, multidimensional and they can light it up from the arc. I’d be happy with either one at UConn.
I largely agree. I think Meyers looks a little bigger/more solid, but Lopez-Senechal may be a slightly better shooter. I think Meyers may be leaning to UNC or UMD. I might have a slight preference for Meyers, but Lou may be more attainable. I like European kids. Lou has a very nice jump shot. If the defense focuses on Paige and Azzi, Lou could get very hot from the arc.

Reaction Score
There’s a player from Oregon Kyle Watson is in the transfer portal, 6’4” forward from New Jersey maybe she’s in our radar … we can use another forward/post…
Is Angel Reese a possibility?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom