Is there a “nice” restaurant in Storrs? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Is there a “nice” restaurant in Storrs?

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
There’s nothing nice in walking distance which is what people are telling him.

Peak Boneyard is some dumb ass bumbling into the conversation with some inane comment. That would be you.
False Summit Boneyard

Reaction Score
There’s nothing nice in walking distance which is what people are telling him.

Peak Boneyard is some dumb ass bumbling into the conversation with some inane comment. That would be you.
I provided the guy with helpful advice in an earlier post. The people telling him there's nothing likely go to campus rarely nor have they actually checked out the offerings in downtown Storrs. Nor did they closely read his OP to see what he was looking for

I work at UConn. Have for 20+ years.

Yes there are no "gourmet, hoity-toity overpriced restaurants" in Storrs center.

But the restaurants I recommended are "nice"...a very good meal, nothing extravagant, and within walking distance. Which seemed to be what he was asking for. But WTF do I know?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The # of replies that just totally ignore the "nice" and "prefer something walkable" in the OP and go on to recommend places 30+ minutes away is peak Boneyard!!!
Well I think the initial answer made clear that there is nothing "nice" and "walkable". Unless you think Ted's is "nice".

Reaction Score
What happened to Spiro's in Eagleville, across the street from Ali John's Eagleville Package Store and Lou's Diner, home of the famous C B G B?
Shut down in 70’s. You must be an old timer.

Reaction Score
I loved the Depot. So freaking good. Altnaveigh was a nice place in its time. I remember a place called Roos that was off 44 that was surprisingly good for a bit. Is Paul's Pizza still there? I remember going to the sit down Chinese place near DP Dough, too. Long story short, I haven't really paid attention to what has happened to the campus since leaving 20 years ago.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
will someone please define what 'nice' means for the likes of me, cuz my standards for it begin and end at clean washroom and no recent reports of ptomaine poisoning.
other than that, i ain't concerned. i mean, we don't live in Mexico. u could get shot there as 'collateral damage.'
and that other poster mentioning 'if the gf has an issue, put her on a rocketship out?' tru dat.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
As a recent grad, I have to admit that Storrs is simply one of the most underwhelming college towns in existence. The campus and surrounding area is good enough for underclassmen and that's it. A place like amherst just so much more to offer than storrs, and i hope the state of connecticut and uconn do something about it.
Things move slowly up there. It was a big deal when they finally added a weekend meal plan.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Cow Patty's. Great burgers.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Does the Student Union still make a good Jalapeño Bacon Mac & Cheese? I don't recall them having it when I was there but I hear it was once worth getting expelled over.

Google Maps indicates that Chucks & Margaritas is still open and there is Red Rocks Cafe down on 44. However both probably require a car. I was unfamiliar with the bus routes in 1999, let alone now. In terms of walking distance from The Graduate, it doesn't look like there is a lot of options within the campus footprint.

This doesn't help the OP, as it is not within walking distance...plus it's closed...but when I was there in the late 90s, my parents always took me to Angelino's in Mansfield for a decent non-college meal, which is now the Fenton River Grill.

Reaction Score
Spent one year in Eagleville as a kid. It was a tough little section of town. Especially those row of factory houses
Lived in the red house behind the red school on the NE Corner of Rte 32 and S Eagleville Rd from 1970 to May' 75

Reaction Score
Take a look at the Lakeview restaurant in Coventry. Less than a 10 minute drive from The Graduate. They have a pretty good menu and
Lived in the red house behind the red school on the NE Corner of Rte 32 and S Eagleville Rd from 1970 to May' 75
I don’t remember the house but do remember the ball field behind the school.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
if this is a serious reply, it's not like UConn was just founded 20 years ago it's been there for over 100 years. What's the point of appeasing suburban families over students in a college town? That's simply policy failure.

appeasing both groups (and maybe university employees as well) would seem like the smart play, but based on results they didn’t even try. How is it even possible to create a downtown and end up with even fewer restaurants than when there was no town.

Reaction Score
Most residents were against the creation of the downtown, because they know the university botches everything that has the potential to improve the town.
Yeah I remember how long that took

Reaction Score
will someone please define what 'nice' means for the likes of me, cuz my standards for it begin and end at clean washroom and no recent reports of ptomaine poisoning.
other than that, i ain't concerned. i mean, we don't live in Mexico. u could get shot there as 'collateral damage.'
and that other poster mentioning 'if the gf has an issue, put her on a rocketship out?' tru dat.
In the 60's, the only dining (let alone "Fine") in Storrs were Ted's, Huskies, & Kathy John's. The Altnaveigh was indeed fine home country dining for the visiting parents down the road.

But Woody's converted bus, located in what is now the North Parking structure, was "fine" enough for us Northwest Zoners.

One late night, after playing hooky, Risk, & hitting the bong for days, we stumbled down to Woody's Bus & placed our orders at the window.

Woody took the orders, & we waited & waited, shaking in the 0 degree night air. And we waited, & waited some more..... After about 30 minutes, we finally knocked on Woody's window & asked him WTF were our orders.

Woody replied, "What Orders?" and, in the haze of our short-attention-span, we said, "Oh", & stumbled back up the stairs to Northwest's Rogers B - the sole "drug dorm" in a sea of violent drunks (often using lounge furniture to create huge bonfires in the quads up there).

Woody then quickly turned off his sign & bailed from the lot. We were so out of it that it took quite awhile til we finally asked each other - still hungry - what happened.

So Woody's was not so "fine" that night. He often used that ploy at NW. Usually his grinders & pizza's were fine enough for our late night munchies runs.

When we wanted some good food, we'ed pile into Alky Al's beat up Saab & race down 195 to the Willi Bowl. Ha! LOL at those hazy memories. But the food was pretty decent.

I went to 12 classes that semester. Got a 4.0 gpa.

Storrs has more choices now than ever out there amongst the quiet Eastern Connecticut Woods & Dairy Farms.

Of course, the ONLY reason for splurging on a fine restaurant back then was the parents visiting or for some chick who might "respond" to such largess coming her way.

So I completely agree with ClifSpliffy on that.

Sixty years since then & Storrs is still a work in progress with zero "fine food" restaurants. As it should be!

When I wanted fine food in Storrs, I'd talk some gf into hitching down to NYC for lunch at Nathans. Ha!

Father Demo

PS: What ever happened to Woody?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
too funny - you should have seen it 40 years ago
There was a place in the mid-70s across 195 from South Campus/Von Der Mehden, which I think was called Campus Restaurant or something simple. Had lunch there one weekend with a friend. The main attraction was the bussers cart, with two levels of bins for collecting dirty dishes. And as the busser was walking from table to table, his dog, which was leashed to the cart, was busy cleaning the plates in the bottom bin.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I provided the guy with helpful advice in an earlier post. The people telling him there's nothing likely go to campus rarely nor have they actually checked out the offerings in downtown Storrs. Nor did they closely read his OP to see what he was looking for

I work at UConn. Have for 20+ years.

Yes there are no "gourmet, hoity-toity overpriced restaurants" in Storrs center.

But the restaurants I recommended are "nice"...a very good meal, nothing extravagant, and within walking distance. Which seemed to be what he was asking for. But WTF do I know?
You know enough to not get bitchy and attach the "past-peak" label to the guy who gave the mic drop response in #2, approved of a complimentary comment at #4, then chose against hanging the 'Mission Accomplished' banner & closing the thread, and instead hung around to pop up a bit later and call you a .

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
What ever happened to Chuck and Augie's? That place was all class.
Never didn’t get diarrhea from Chuck and Augie’s but that’s the price you pay to enjoy the finer things

Reaction Score
Take a look at the Lakeview restaurant in Coventry. Less than a 10 minute drive from The Graduate. They have a pretty good menu and it won’t be crowded. Nice view of the lake also.
I think this place is closed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom