Is there a “nice” restaurant in Storrs? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Is there a “nice” restaurant in Storrs?

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
If the desired experience should include a jager bomb, it really opens up the options

Reaction Score
Rightfully so, no one wants to live in and/or raise a family in a strictly college town. And if you do you’ll end up like Tyler Olander with more rings than Jim Boeheim.

Are there any legitimate jobs in the Storrs area that aren’t UConn-related?
All I know of is people who work (and now with remote work, used to work) in Hartford, and then live in a lower cost of living town around UConn. That entire part of the state doesn't have much going for it, in my 4 years at UConn only met maybe two people who were from the area, and fairly certain their families worked at UConn or something Hartford related.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Rightfully so, no one wants to live in and/or raise a family in a strictly college town. And if you do you’ll end up like Tyler Olander with more rings than Jim Boeheim.

Are there any legitimate jobs in the Storrs area that aren’t UConn-related?
College towns are booming, especially with work from home being viable. Mansfield has utterly botched this going back many decades.

There are few places that are more appealing than a midsized college town with a larger than average number of bars, restaurants, live music offerings, plays, sporting events, etc. Mansfield just had and has no vision. It has wasted an opportunity and holds UConn back as well. A lot of UConn employees end up living farther away because Mansfield is so lame.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
College towns are booming, especially with work from home being viable. Mansfield has utterly botched this going back many decades.

There are few places that are more appealing than a midsized college town with a larger than average number of bars, restaurants, live music offerings, plays, sporting events, etc. Mansfield just had and has no vision. It has wasted an opportunity and holds UConn back as well. A lot of UConn employees end up living farther away because Mansfield is so lame.
Agree with this. And it’s the conclusion of this thread.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

Athens GA is maybe the quintessential version of this. And something Storrs should aspire to be.

45 mins from Atlanta. AWESOME food/music scene. It’s more or less turned into a nice Atlanta suburb. In turn- it’s a huge boon for the university.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Athens GA is maybe the quintessential version of this. And something Storrs should aspire to be.

45 mins from Atlanta. AWESOME food/music scene. It’s more or less turned into a nice Atlanta suburb. In turn- it’s a huge boon for the university.
Athens, Lawrence KS, Boulder CO, Chapel Hill, NC there are a lot of examples. When I was at KU Lawrence was about 40-45k population. Now it's grown to 85k because so many grads just don't want to leave. Stellar music scene there too.

Reaction Score
In the 60's, the only dining (let alone "Fine") in Storrs were Ted's, Huskies, & Kathy John's. The Altnaveigh was indeed fine home country dining for the visiting parents down the road.

But Woody's converted bus, located in what is now the North Parking structure, was "fine" enough for us Northwest Zoners.

One late night, after playing hooky, Risk, & hitting the bong for days, we stumbled down to Woody's Bus & placed our orders at the window.

Woody took the orders, & we waited & waited, shaking in the 0 degree night air. And we waited, & waited some more..... After about 30 minutes, we finally knocked on Woody's window & asked him WTF were our orders.

Woody replied, "What Orders?" and, in the haze of our short-attention-span, we said, "Oh", & stumbled back up the stairs to Northwest's Rogers B - the sole "drug dorm" in a sea of violent drunks (often using lounge furniture to create huge bonfires in the quads up there).

Woody then quickly turned off his sign & bailed from the lot. We were so out of it that it took quite awhile til we finally asked each other - still hungry - what happened.

So Woody's was not so "fine" that night. He often used that ploy at NW. Usually his grinders & pizza's were fine enough for our late night munchies runs.

When we wanted some good food, we'ed pile into Alky Al's beat up Saab & race down 195 to the Willi Bowl. Ha! LOL at those hazy memories. But the food was pretty decent.

I went to 12 classes that semester. Got a 4.0 gpa.

Storrs has more choices now than ever out there amongst the quiet Eastern Connecticut Woods & Dairy Farms.

Of course, the ONLY reason for splurging on a fine restaurant back then was the parents visiting or for some chick who might "respond" to such largess coming her way.

So I completely agree with ClifSpliffy on that.

Sixty years since then & Storrs is still a work in progress with zero "fine food" restaurants. As it should be!

When I wanted fine food in Storrs, I'd talk some gf into hitching down to NYC for lunch at Nathans. Ha!

Father Demo

PS: What ever happened to Woody?
Being at Wright B in the Northwest quad in the late 70's, we often took time out from our late night festivities to head down to Woody's. Fortunately, we always got our orders. For a change of pace on the weekend, we would go to Bonanza's in the ShopRite plaza on Route 32.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
this is a good thread.
somebody asks a legit question, and pages later, it appears to me that there are adequate reasonable answers.

still waiting for someone to tell us mouthbreathers what does 'nice' mean?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The # of replies that just totally ignore the "nice" and "prefer something walkable" in the OP and go on to recommend places 30+ minutes away is peak Boneyard!!!

I thought it was peak Boneyard as well.

The best ones are when an opposing football fan travels to the Rent and asks for dinner recommendations or places of interest nearby.

"Have you ever been to Cape code!?" Lol

Reaction Score
Athens, Lawrence KS, Boulder CO, Chapel Hill, NC there are a lot of examples. When I was at KU Lawrence was about 40-45k population. Now it's grown to 85k because so many grads just don't want to leave. Stellar music scene there too.

my sister went to University of Delaware and even that college town was surprisingly way better than what Uconn has. Seems like its going to take many years if ever for UConn to have that.

Reaction Score
How's the food at Huskies Tavern? Obviously it's no Arby's but probably a decent place to grab a burger or wings on a Saturday afternoon and is on campus. Its website sucks though.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Remember Kathy John’s ; that place was.. interesting.
You could always tell who went to Kathy John’s for breakfast by the lingering food smell on their clothes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom