Is the Squeak's issue like Breanna’s? | The Boneyard

Is the Squeak's issue like Breanna’s?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Does anyone see a parallel between Squeak's continued underperformance
and Breanna's mid-frosh crisis in the midst of her freshman year.

In both cases (most notably this season), he continued to play them, though
consistently stayed on their case.

I'm just wondering if puppet-master Geno has a solution to her issues
in the back of his mind (like he surely had with Bri)
and is saving the big opening for a game that really matters.

I realize that this is an extremely rose-tinted concept,
totally devoid of evidence.

But one has to ask oneself; why so many minutes w/o contributing much.
Of course, the alternatives are't so great either

But imagine the difference a productive Christyn would make.

Reaction Score
At the end of the day Auriemma can push buttons but the player has to drive the car. But one would think there is a concrete reason her minutes have not diminished.

Reaction Score
The reason is there is no one better to put in!!!! Aubrey hasn't yet proved she can work within the offense even though she is super athletic and is a future star. Now next year, I predict Chrystin will start but have a really short leash each game if she continues her antics... there will be Evina, Anna, Nika, Mir, and Aubrey fighting for the 2 and 3 position minutes.... I'd even put Megan in there because Edwards will be fighting for minutes at the 4 and can let Megan move to her natural 3 position. Paige gets all the hype and deservedly so but I think a true 4 like Edwards if she can learn the offense can make the difference in getting a championship.

Bottom line. Chrystin needs to get it together or she will be sitting the bench next year a lot with the 6 new players that will be in the mix.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
At the end of the day Auriemma can push buttons but the player has to drive the car. But one would think there is a concrete reason her minutes have not diminished.
I think that the explanation is simple: the lack of plausible alternatives. Who would you suggest to get her minutes -- Molly?

Another factor is that Christyn has, in most games but curiously not against UCF, played with great energy and contributed in ways other than scoring, especially rebounding.

Reaction Score
Whats worrisome is that with all her minutes she has done nothing particular well. Her outside shooting, drives off the dribble, mid-range jumper, defense, energy level - have all been subpar or inconsistent at best. Its not like Geno can focus on a particular part of her game to improve. Granted she was thrown into a starting role this year and expected to score, with so few options. So, maybe with more depth next year, she can relax and be more effective. But now, its painful to watch.

Reaction Score
The reason is there is no one better to put in!!!! Aubrey hasn't yet proved she can work within the offense even though she is super athletic and is a future star. Now next year, I predict Chrystin will start but have a really short leash each game if she continues her antics... there will be Evina, Anna, Nika, Mir, and Aubrey fighting for the 2 and 3 position minutes.... I'd even put Megan in there because Edwards will be fighting for minutes at the 4 and can let Megan move to her natural 3 position. Paige gets all the hype and deservedly so but I think a true 4 like Edwards if she can learn the offense can make the difference in getting a championship.

Bottom line. Chrystin needs to get it together or she will be sitting the bench next year a lot with the 6 new players that will be in the mix.
I think Liv will be the one getting the biggest benefit with Edwards playing beside her.

Reaction Score
I have been watching Christin closely lately out of concern. She is very active, especially with the ball, but when she starts dribbling everywhere, that seems to stall the offense. That’s when everyone else just stands and watches. Their not sure what she will do or where she is going. Its like everyone else does pass, pass, pass then watch her drive or shoot. I do think her defense has improved.

Reaction Score
Totally agree! Liv and Megan I am sure are jumping for joy! Meg can play her natural 3 and Liv has a real partner down low! We haven't really had that since Stewie and Tuck. Azure didn't stick around long enough to learn how to play down low.

Reaction Score
I think that the explanation is simple: the lack of plausible alternatives. Who would you suggest to get her minutes -- Molly?

Another factor is that Christyn has, in most games but curiously not against UCF, played with great energy and contributed in ways other than scoring, especially rebounding.

I’m not suggesting anything, I am just making conversation. There is no one to “put in” for Ono but she has seen the pine. And please don’t tell me Griffin is an adequate replacement for her, she replaces Ono because there is no one else, including when Auriemma wanted to send Ono a message. Make all the rationalizations you want but for the record Molly Bent plays with great energy if that is your criteria for minutes.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
To me, this is different a little bit more worrying than Stewart's mid-frosh slump. For one thing, many top recruits have come to UConn and had a freshman year swoon. Probably most of them. There's lots to learn, it takes a while to get "UConn fit," and you're suddenly not only not the best player in your state, you're not even the best player at your position on your team.

I'm not really sure what to think about Squeaks's issues, but I feel like lately she has not seemed to be playing with as much joy. It's possible the Burden of Greatness is feeling heavier this year without Phee and Lou?

I also agree that she played a LOT of summer ball. If you think about it, the other players who also played a lot this summer, among them Aleah Goodman at OSU and Bella Alarie at Princeton, have also seen their productivity decline. Kiana Williams at Stanford also played a lot this past summer and she took until mid-conference play to really get her mojo back. Maybe Squeaks just needs a break?

TBH, at this time last year I would have predicted that Squeaks would be the emerging team leader, especially with CD set to graduate and MW having a quieter, lead by example style. Hopefully she turns the corner soon, because there will definitely be a leadership gap next year unless and until Bueckers earns the gravitas to take charge of the team.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
So nice to log on to the board and see a thread asking if a current UConn player is a "head job" like a former UConn great (Bri?) was a "head job" during her freshman year. Is today no-filter Sunday? Anything goes? Can we refer to other posters as "head jobs?"

Struggles with confidence = head job? I suspect the poster who started this thread really meant "head case" but perhaps best to leave that distinction alone.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Now next year, I predict Chrystin will start but have a really short leash each game if she continues her antics.
Antics?

In any event I will make a prediction too. I predict Chrystin will come back for her junior year much the same way Megan came back for her junior year, fitter and more focused. She’s a bright kid and I’m sure she realizes that at this level of basketball she can’t get by on her athleticism alone.

Reaction Score
Eventually, Christyn will break out of this. Right now, she probably feels a level of frustration and disappointment that she has rarely faced, if ever.. I hope she uses this experience as a learning and growing moment, a lesson in how to persevere. This is a chance for her to strengtthen her resolve and mindset, a chance to better prepare herself for any obstacles that may find her in the future. She jusr has to stay the course long enough to give herself the chance to play out of it.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Really shallow bench.

Reaction Score
I think Liv will be the one getting the biggest benefit with Edwards playing beside her.
Maybe when Edwards is a sophomore. Next year she will be needed as Ono’s backup, unless one thinks that Gabriel will be ready for that role. Megan might still play the three, but the four could be Griffin. They are destined to have an undersized team for one more year, at least IMO.

Reaction Score
Maybe when Edwards is a sophomore. Next year she will be needed as Ono’s backup, unless one thinks that Gabriel will be ready for that role. Megan might still play the three, but the four could be Griffin. They are destined to have an undersized team for one more year, at least IMO.
Well we know they'll get a half foot taller at PG at least....

Reaction Score
I think she burnt herself out during the summer and it just caught up with her. I hope she goes nowhere near USA basketball this year.
I agree she played 3 on 3 for four months in USA.
She could not work on weights etc or change her diet to be leaner. Hopefully summer off and new program will help as she has great spirit and is positive.

Reaction Score
Some very bright coaches should figure CW out. Watch Geno pull a rabbit out of hat....if he can't...few others cannot...she should be a better contributer soon.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I guess you knew Alexa was writing on this very subject today??

"Nearly everyone had dispersed from UConn’s Friday afternoon practice, the day before the Huskies took on UCF in one of their final home matchups of the regular season, but Christyn Williams wasn’t done just yet. The sophomore guard stayed behind at Gampel Pavilion to get up some extra shots, with coach Geno Auriemma watching on."

"Obviously, [Williams’ shooting] is not where it needs to be right now for us to be an elite team,” Auriemma said after UConn’s win over USF. “We need her to be an elite scorer.”

Last edited by a moderator:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
So nice to log on to the board and see a thread asking if a current UConn player is a "head job" like a former UConn great (Bri?) was a "head job" during her freshman year. Is today no-filter Sunday? Anything goes? Can we refer to other posters as "head jobs?"

Struggles with confidence = head job? I suspect the poster who started this thread really meant "head case" but perhaps best to leave that distinction alone.
I believe the OP meant that Geno was doing a head job (therapy-type) on Christyn.

Regardless, I edited the subject line for clarity

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Am I the only one who wishes the nickname "Squeaks" would just quietly disappear. I suppose if she were playing like an AA, it does not matter but with her current struggles, it just feels so 'cartoony'. I know it was used in the very beginning with her teammates but I doubt kit is used anymore. I understand abbreviations and nicknames used by the players and coaches but maybe she can graduate from "Squeaks".

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Am I the only one who wishes the nickname "Squeaks" would just quietly disappear. I suppose if she were playing like an AA, it does not matter but with her current struggles, it just feels so 'cartoony'. I know it was used in the very beginning with her teammates but I doubt kit is used anymore. I understand abbreviations and nicknames used by the players and coaches but maybe she can graduate from "Squeaks".

Nope. Let's hope.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom