Is the Squeak's issue like Breanna’s? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is the Squeak's issue like Breanna’s?

Reaction Score
Really shallow bench.

First, let me say, I have absolutely no issue with the minutes Williams is getting, none, nada, nil. The point I was making (trying to make) was that as poorly as she has played at times, she gets those minutes which means to me the coaches are “satisfied” with her performance. Not thrilled or accepting but Auriemma is well known as a coach who uses the bench as a “learning“ tool and since he has not gone there with Williams I assume he sees no value in sitting her. Certainly he and his staff know best. But I don’t buy the idea that she COULDN’T sit for a couple of minutes because of a shallow bench.
Again, I am not advocating that in the least, I just find it interesting and frankly positive that it hasn’t happened. Speculating from very afar, it means to me her issue is not physical, but mental, a loss of confidence. Further that she is working hard in practice and the coaches know the only way to get over it is to play through it. Here’s hoping she does, it would obviously (duh!!) make them a MUCH more formidable team.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Does anyone see a parallel between Squeak's continued underperformance
and Breanna's mid-frosh crisis in the midst of her freshman year.

In both cases (most notably this season), he continued to play them, though
consistently stayed on their case.

I'm just wondering if puppet-master Geno has a solution to her issues
in the back of his mind (like he surely had with Bri)
and is saving the big opening for a game that really matters.

I realize that this is an extremely rose-tinted concept,
totally devoid of evidence.

But one has to ask oneself; why so many minutes w/o contributing much.
Of course, the alternatives are't so great either

But imagine the difference a productive Christyn would make.

This dynamic is why I’m suggesting that unlike Megan and Olivia, Christyn is not necessarily a lock to be a starter next year because Geno will have options he didn’t have this year or last. Westbrook, Bueckers, Mukurat, Griffin, Edwards and Muhl will all be vying for a starter’s spot. That’s 6 players for 3 spots. We’ll (the boneyard) figure it out over the summer, we always do. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would be surprise if an elite basketball (or another) player can suddenly lose their skills. Stewart's situation was radically different. She was unproven and lacked a number of things, and was a freshman. CW is a soph who has shown that she can perform on the big stage. I cannot imagine that she has suddenly become de-skilled. I'm not knowledgeable enough to see what the coaches cannot see. But, she is on the floor, not only bec there are no others, because other things are being done to help the team: rebounding, commanding attention, etc. Plus, all it takes is one game and things are back in place. I believe she is also playing a different position where rebounding and defending are premiums. If this is true, she might be finding it difficult to start her offensive game or getting into flow from around the basketball. This is a double edge sword for a lot of players. They may play all positions in H.S., another one or two in college, and the latter they cannot possibly play in the WNBA. Gabby is a good example. So is Lou (maybe?), and Pheesa (and others) had to learn another position.

I like what Geno keeps saying: 'It's really harder than you think.' But there is no reason why we shouldn't blame them; after all, they made it looked easy.

Reaction Score
Might this just be her sophomore slump? After being a starter as a freshman and having a fraction of the pressure placed on her that she has this year it's really tough to say what the root cause is. Maybe it was all that play over the summer, maybe it's the added attention she gets from opposing defenses, maybe it's school, family, friends, a bird she saw, or nothing at all. If I remember right, Tiffany Hayes went through similar ups and downs even through her senior season. I wouldn't be surprised if Williams is similar in that when she is on, she's unstoppable, but when she's not, she can't buy a basket, but still does other things to help her team.

Reaction Score
This dynamic is why I’m suggesting that unlike Megan and Olivia, Christyn is not necessarily a lock to be a starter next year because Geno will have options he didn’t have this year or last. Westbrook, Bueckers, Mukurat, Griffin, Edwards and Muhl will all be vying for a starter’s spot. That’s 6 players for 3 spots. We’ll figure it out over the summer, we always do. ;)
Having watched Geno for 20+ years, I hestitate using "starter" and "freshman" in the same sentence.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Having watched Geno for 20+ years, I hestitate using "starter" and "freshman" in the same sentence.

I agree to a certain extent. Times, circumstances, and philosophy can change over that amount of time. Players today can make coaches reassess long standing philosophical postures and beliefs. Geno is older and wiser today than 20 years ago. If Sebrina Ionescu had come to UConn, do you have any doubt she would have started? I remember watching her play towards the end of her freshman year.

I vividly remember seeing her giving instructions to her teammates during huddles between whistles during games. What impressed me was that besides the fact that she had the least amount of experience in the group, she stepped up as a leader, told them what to do, and they were listening to her. Usually freshmen in their first year are seen and not heard, e.g., eyes and ears open and mouth shut.

I think Paige is cut from that same cloth. I’ll bet my turban and cape that I’m right. I'll also bet that she becomes the face of the program before the end of her sophomore year. The 3 starting freshmen (Aliyah Boston, Brea Beal and Zia Cooke) at South Carolina are proof positive that times are changing. Does anyone here think they could also start for UConn? They don't shrink in BIG games, and they've only lost one so far. I’d like to think that Geno is not so stubborn and close minded that he can’t change with them.

Last edited:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Another complete myth. Don't you remember Renee Montgomery, Stef Dolson, Kia Nurse, Katie Lou Samuelson, and Christyn Williams (just an abbreviated list of freshman starters from approximately the last decade)? Renee beat out Ketia Swanier, who had tried the PG position in the previous year but was not entirely satisfactory in that role.

Reaction Score
I think she burnt herself out during the summer and it just caught up with her. I hope she goes nowhere near USA basketball this year.
I think playing 3x3 is a different type of game and a different skill set then UConn plays. When I watch CW play 3 x3 she drove a lot for her points because the floor was more open. That is the strong point of her game. Crystal often gets the ball to CW on fast breaks and semi-fast breaks so she can attack the basket. Against really top teams they get back really well on the break against Uconn because they are well coached. This turns CW into a jump shooter from the 3 point line which is not her strong point. She attempted I believe 2 of them from the far right corner aginst USF and didn't connect. She then looked to Liv on the block or pass it back out to the wing or center of the court for the rest of the game. When I watched her in high school she was always in center court probing drives against the defense or shooting stepback jumpers. Geno would like to get Cyrstal out of the center for more shooting opportunities and he should since her and Megan are shooting over .425 on 3's. Cyrstal is very effective from the corner as well as Megan and Annia.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Might this just be her sophomore slump? After being a starter as a freshman and having a fraction of the pressure placed on her that she has this year it's really tough to say what the root cause is. Maybe it was all that play over the summer, maybe it's the added attention she gets from opposing defenses, maybe it's school, family, friends, a bird she saw, or nothing at all. If I remember right, Tiffany Hayes went through similar ups and downs even through her senior season. I wouldn't be surprised if Williams is similar in that when she is on, she's unstoppable, but when she's not, she can't buy a basket, but still does other things to help her team.

That is exactly what Geno said. Teams are focusing on her and Megan now that Lou and Napheesa are gone.

Reaction Score
Another complete myth. Don't you remember Renee Montgomery, Stef Dolson, Kia Nurse, Katie Lou Samuelson, and Christyn Williams (just an abbreviated list of freshman starters from approximately the last decade)? Renee beat out Ketia Swanier, who had tried the PG position in the previous year but was not entirely satisfactory in that role.
As @diggerfoot pointed out the other day, just for point guards Jennifer Rizzotti, Sue Bird, Rita Williams, Renee Montgomery, and Bria Hartley started as freshmen from day 1. As much the rule as the exception.

Other than point guards, other UConn guards have started as freshmen, recently including Kia Nurse and our current sophomore Christyn Williams.

Reaction Score
Does anyone see a parallel between Squeak's continued underperformance
and Breanna's mid-frosh crisis in the midst of her freshman year.

In both cases (most notably this season), he continued to play them, though
consistently stayed on their case.

I'm just wondering if puppet-master Geno has a solution to her issues
in the back of his mind (like he surely had with Bri)
and is saving the big opening for a game that really matters.

I realize that this is an extremely rose-tinted concept,
totally devoid of evidence.

But one has to ask oneself; why so many minutes w/o contributing much.
Of course, the alternatives are't so great either

But imagine the difference a productive Christyn would make.
Good question: why so many minutes w/o contribution--certainly we have a short bench but I'd soon as diminish CW's time and use that time for developmental time for the two frosh... I don't understand why at the slightest dissatisfaction of ONO, Geno would pull her in a punitive manner and let her sit, sometimes for an entire quarter. And here's CW contributing zilch and she plays the entire game...

As was pointed out, CW is much better at 3x3 with the open court--she was better last year as a frosh because she was a secondary/tertiary scoring option, and could sneak in largely unnoticed....It's easy to see what's wrong with CW: through HS and all, her one-on-one skill was all she needed against loose defense and she didn't learn real offense--she still hasn't learned offense--she stands around with out-reached hands awaiting the ball. She simply doesn't know what to do. And contrary to what most might think, CW isn't especially good of an outside shooter--she's a slasher, she's height-challenged inside, and ultimately, she's easily defended if she's closely guarded. Let's face it, CW's largely a one-dimensional player--to use old school verbiage, a "one-armed bandit.".... I agree--next year, if CW does not step it up, she very well could be challenged for playing time by the likes of EW and all the talented incoming frosh...

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Good question: why so many minutes w/o contribution ... And here's CW contributing zilch and she plays the entire game...
It is completely inaccurate and unfair to say that Christyn is "contributing zilch". It's true that she is not scoring at the level that the position requires for UConn to be a Top 5 team. But remember, as Geno always says, that there is a difference between shooting well and playing well.

Christyn is contributing a lot in other aspects of the game, most notably rebounding. I haven't looked at stats, but I am almost certain that she is the top rebounding guard on the team, and I would expect that to be true on a per-minute basis as well. Can anyone confirm or refute that?

She has also been playing good defense without being in foul trouble in most games. I'm guessing that her A/TO ratio is greater than 1 -- again, can someone confirm or refute?

Reaction Score
It is completely inaccurate and unfair to say that Christyn is "contributing zilch". It's true that she is not scoring at the level that the position requires for UConn to be a Top 5 team. But remember, as Geno always says, that there is a difference between shooting well and playing well.

Christyn is contributing a lot in other aspects of the game, most notably rebounding. I haven't looked at stats, but I am almost certain that she is the top rebounding guard on the team, and I would expect that to be true on a per-minute basis as well. Can anyone confirm or refute that?

She has also been playing good defense without being in foul trouble in most games. I'm guessing that her A/TO ratio is greater than 1 -- again, can someone confirm or refute?
Well OK, so maybe "zilch" is too strong, but c'mon, is this satisfactory for someone with her accolades? So I won't say "zilch"--how about she's marginally mediocre or marginally adequate? ")

Reaction Score
Well OK, so maybe "zilch" is too strong, but c'mon, is this satisfactory for someone with her accolades? So I won't say "zilch"--how about she's marginally mediocre or marginally adequate? ")
G Give Aubrey those minutes and she'll get more rebounds and play better defense than CW and score abou the same amount of points...

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
It is completely inaccurate and unfair to say that Christyn is "contributing zilch".

Christyn is contributing a lot in other aspects of the game, most notably rebounding.

In the last game (UCF), she had zero rebounds, zero steals, zero blocks....
Perhaps "zilch" is not completely inappropriate. :)

Reaction Score
So who starts in her place? CD, MW, Liv, and Anna are set. Aubrey is not the scorer CW can be. Molly? Not her position. Same for Kyla. Geno gives CW the minutes because there is no one left with the skill set she has.

Reaction Score
So who starts in her place? CD, MW, Liv, and Anna are set. Aubrey is not the scorer CW can be. Molly? Not her position. Same for Kyla. Geno gives CW the minutes because there is no one left with the skill set she has.
I'm not saying to bench CW--I just feel that she should have diminished minutes in the games where she does not contribute, and give more minutes to Aubrey et al...

Reaction Score
I'm not saying to bench CW--I just feel that she should have diminished minutes in the games where she does not contribute, and give more minutes to Aubrey et al...
And to your statement: "Aubrey is not the scorer CW can be"--I'm not big on potential: my old football coach scoffed at a player's potential and used to say 'that boulder at the top of the hill has the potential to roll down that hill and it's been sitting there for 25,000 years'....

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
One of my concerns with CW's summer was not only the amount of time playing with USA, but the traveling she did all across the world to play in, how many, 3 or 4 tournaments. The summer must have been exhausting. I've been worried about her and was thinking a couple of days away from the gym might be a help.

A couple of points when discussing minutes for next year;
1)Remember when the starters were only averaging between 20 to 25 minutes. In an optimistic view of the freshmen contributing, I do not know when we have had such potential depth. There will be minutes to make 8 players very happy and give 10 players significant opportunities.

2) The missing piece to a Natty or 2 in the last couple years is actually on the bench. Imagine what a healthy Batouly would have meant. A real power 4 that bangs on the boards, plays strong defence and gets around 10 garbage points a game. She would let Meg play the 3 where no other 3 I've seen can stop her. We don't know how any injuries will affect next years team.

Aubrey will never be in contention for minutes at the 1. She may guard another teams 1, but she won't play the 1 on offence.

Anna may get some minutes at 2, but most likely she will be spending her time in the 3/4 rotation.

The 1/2 rotation will be split between CW, EW, PB, and NM. Evina should start the year at the 1 and CW at 2, but by conference play, I expect a very fluid 1/2 rotation of players with everyone staying fresh.

By January, Aaliyah will be getting max minutes in the 4 slot and occasional 5 if Piath cannot rest Liv.

Meg will be the top 3 in the country as I have not seen a 3 that can stop her.

As you all know Geno's predilection to shrink the roster for the conference tourney and again for the dance, all the minutes begin to be concentrated into the core 7 players

And knowing Geno, my wonderful scheme will all go to pieces when he plays 4 guards and Aubrey
.:confused:

Reaction Score
If Williams problem is "burn out" or being "tired" from too much summer, wouldn't it be logical that the coaches would rest her to recharge for the tournament? That's not happening so I can't buy it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom