Is the real Bria back? | The Boneyard

Is the real Bria back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The past two games have been extremely encouraging. Encouraging for Bria, to be sure, and encouraging for UConn as well.

I don't know what it was, but after an appalling performance against St John's (not trying to bash the kid- just calling a spade a spade) that was the capstone of an injury-plagued and very disappoint first two-thirds of her regular season, Bria is all of a sudden playing like she was expected to. That is absolutely huge news. UConn has two more games and eight days to get ready for Baylor, and UConn only wins that game firing on all cylinders. KML is locked in, Stef is locked in (please don't let her eat anything exotic between now and 2/18), Kelly is locked in, Breanna, Mo, and Kiah seem to be playing a bit better...but if Bria can play like an All-American, that really changes things. All of a sudden, you have three big-time scorers (Stef, KML, Bria), another player who's capable of providing some offensive punch when needed (Kelly), and a host of other kids who are more developed defensively than offensively but can contribute as well.

Griner is going to make things very tough on Stef, who may well have to score from the outside in. If Bria and KML are both playing at a high level, however, UConn is going to have a chance.

I am fascinated to see how UConn shows up against Baylor and at ND to wrap up this regular season. They will end up as either clear #1, #2, or #3 team in the land.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Bria's reemergence is huge. Especially with Banks out, Uconn really needs Bria to make shots, start the break and be disruptive on defense. She is such a competitor, it was probably so hard for her to not be at 100% at the beginning of the season. She was definitely forcing things and her shot looked flat.

I thought for a while that redshirting her might have been a better idea. But if she can keep up her shooting and defense, then she will be critical for UConn to make the Final Four (and break the ND spell).

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
One of 2 things usually happens after an injury (in this case the one to Banks). A team either falls apart, or the other players pick up the slack knowing there is no one else who can come in and do it for them. The last few games the team has looked more like the team most thought would be head and shoulders above the rest of WCBB not named Baylor this year.

I'm one of the fans who doesn't expect us to beat Baylor, but if we bring our A game, we surely can. I DO expect this team to go to South Bend and beat the stuffing out of ND. But as Alex said, it's encouraging to see Kiah, Moriah and Morgan all showing signs of life. They all bring something unique and important to the table, and combined with Bree, still make the best bench in WCBB in my opinion.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Last 2 games - 14-23 from the field, 8-13 on 3's. 39 points, 11 rebounds, 7 assists.

Reaction Score
I hope so.

I think we'll see against Baylor. If Bria's back, she'll show up to the big games.

I'm pretty sure she's close to Brianna. The injury might have lit a fire under her (similar to Charde and Mel.) and gotten her out of her funk.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
With regard Baylor, it really depends on which UConn team shows up.

I've been rolling around in my mind, was today's effort good enough to beat Baylor?
And the answer I've come up with is perhaps not.

The outside shooting was not as amazing as last game's and it will have to be because the slashing in will not always be there against Brittney; similarly the pick and roll.

On the other hand, Geno obviously saw something on the tapes that suggested the open middle today, perhaps he'll have a similar revelation on how to score against Baylor. Certainly, firing on all cylinders, these Husky's have a lot of weapons.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Griner is going to make things very tough on Stef, who may well have to score from the outside in.

Let's try it this way: "Stef is going to make things very tough on Griner, who may well have to defend from the outside in."

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Bria missed 1 or 2 shots badly, but overall shot very well. She seemed to be active and played and shot with confidence. As with Renee and even Sue, I think Bria is best when she mixes it up: knifing into the lane and to the hoop, pulling up for a jumper, and shooting from the arc. The balance makes her most effective.

I think she is back or close. Another cog for the big games.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I really like our chances againest Baylor. We are much more improved then Baylor this season and we have added more height. Our height will make it tuff for Baylor inside. My feeling on defending Stef. I dont think Griner will be defending her alone. I think another player will come up and defend Stef leaving Griner back a bit as an intimadator. I see Stef doing what Tina did againest Griner on offense. That may leave someone open other then KML. So perhaps UConn will have to set screens and picks to get her open. KML is no secret this season. Bria imo is key. Kiah and Breanna can not be intimadated underneath and must go up strong. We may have a few bumps early on but when the game gets tight we will see a different UConn team. I like UConn 68 Baylor 53. We will have 4 players in double figures in this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom