Is Tennessee v LSU Threadworthy | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is Tennessee v LSU Threadworthy

Reaction Score
I'm not impressed by LSU. Hardly anyone showed up for them other than Morris and Reese and Angel didn't play that well except for her trademark rebounding.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I'm not impressed by LSU. Hardly anyone showed up for them other than Morris and Reese and Angel didn't play that well except for her trademark rebounding.
smirk drinking GIF

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Good win for LSU but I agree with others, I don't see them as a top 3 team. I think more realistically they're probably in the 6-10 range, but honestly they're hard to gauge since the SEC is so weak this year and they didn't play anyone non-conference. Tournament time will be interesting if they are a 2 loss team with 2 bad losses to South Carolina. I can't think of too many other examples of a P5 team that will have played exclusively unranked teams, plus the #1 team twice.

That said, with Morris stepping up her play, they have a very talented and athletic trio in her, Flaujae Johnson, and Angel Reese that could give any top team fits. Angel didn't have a great night for her and still wound up with 18/17. The intensity was missing in the first half but she brought it in the second. For someone with as big of numbers as she has, she really isn't the most polished player but she gets those numbers based on sheer will and effort on the glass--I enjoy players that are high motor like her even if she is quite cocky on the court. Morris was great tonight, I love her story of being kicked off by Kim, bouncing around colleges and finding her footing the last 2 years under Mulkey. Off night for Johnson but she's been consistent all year for them. She's one of the top 2-3 freshmen in the country (after Latson and debatably Van Slooten).

I think they're a solid team, but I'd definitely bet on SC/Stanford/Indiana/UCONN if they met up with LSU in the tournament based on what I've seen this year. I think it's more of a toss up if they matched up with any of the squads ranked 6-10.

Reaction Score
Good win for LSU but I agree with others, I don't see them as a top 3 team. I think more realistically they're probably in the 6-10 range, but honestly they're hard to gauge since the SEC is so weak this year and they didn't play anyone non-conference. Tournament time will be interesting if they are a 2 loss team with 2 bad losses to South Carolina. I can't think of too many other examples of a P5 team that will have played exclusively unranked teams, plus the #1 team twice.

That said, with Morris stepping up her play, they have a very talented and athletic trio in her, Flaujae Johnson, and Angel Reese that could give any top team fits. Angel didn't have a great night for her and still wound up with 18/17. The intensity was missing in the first half but she brought it in the second. For someone with as big of numbers as she has, she really isn't the most polished player but she gets those numbers based on sheer will and effort on the glass--I enjoy players that are high motor like her even if she is quite cocky on the court. Morris was great tonight, I love her story of being kicked off by Kim, bouncing around colleges and finding her footing the last 2 years under Mulkey. Off night for Johnson but she's been consistent all year for them. She's one of the top 2-3 freshmen in the country (after Latson and debatably Van Slooten).

I think they're a solid team, but I'd definitely bet on SC/Stanford/Indiana/UCONN if they met up with LSU in the tournament based on what I've seen this year. I think it's more of a toss up if they matched up with any of the squads ranked 6-10.
It is strange that 21 games in and nobody really knows if LSU is legit. Kim has acknowledged this in several pressers and alluded to it again tonight. In addition to the 3 players you mentioned, you have a really reliable and steady L. Williams who quietly goes about her business every game and a really streaky Carson as a 3 point shooter. On any given night, this starting five can compete with any team in the country but they can be streaky and after them, there is little depth. So they will struggle to hang with a team like s Carolina with a string bench. Poa, Poole and Smith come off the bench to give good defense but it's never certain what they will give you offensively.

Reaction Score
It is strange that 21 games in and nobody really knows if LSU is legit. Kim has acknowledged this in several pressers and alluded to it again tonight. In addition to the 3 players you mentioned, you have a really reliable and steady L. Williams who quietly goes about her business every game and a really streaky Carson as a 3 point shooter. On any given night, this starting five can compete with any team in the country but they can be streaky and after them, there is little depth. So they will struggle to hang with a team like s Carolina with a string bench. Poa, Poole and Smith come off the bench to give good defense but it's never certain what they will give you offensively.
Let's see what happens in the South Carolina games.

Reaction Score

I saw this differently. Tenessee's bigs frustrated her and she went into a shell. She wanted to make this a show, per the LSU theme for the season. Towards the end of the first half you could see her trying to create something and had those two wild drives to the hoop.

What I didn't understand is how she wasn't called for a tech in the second half. Poa got called for clapping towards Puckett. Reese licks her fingers and dances after getting a foul and not a peep. When you compare them, they both seemed minor, so I'm confused why Poa got hit with the technical from a consistency perspective.

Reaction Score
Despite their weak OOC, LSU is "good enough" to win a title, but more than likely not "consistent" enough to make it happen. One thing is obvious....if they don't solidly win the rebound battle, then they probably couldn't take down teams 1-15 on most nights. All those rebounds make up for inconsistent shooting.

TN. At this point, I almost feel sorry for them. They could be more competitive, but that offense they run is DOA. I couldn't even identify it at times. Is it a 4 out 1 in? Very little movement except for the player dribbling the ball nonstop. Horrific spacing. Screens. Remember those? Weak to no cuts on most half-court possessions. Players are stuck on the 3-point line. Passes are late. Just a hot mess to be honest. A team doesn't have to be uber-athletic to run offense. They don't need to be speed demons. They do need to be composed and on the same page.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Having watched UConn-Nova on Sunday, I was struck by a major contrast with the TN-LSU game. Player and ball movement in half court sets was crisp and consistent in the UConn-Nova game.

In the TN-LSU game, not so much. A lot more dribbling and one on one basketball, particularly from TN. A number of great athletes, to be sure, but both teams will be vulnerable in the Big Dance to any team that knows how to run offense.

Reaction Score
I know this is not a UConn thread and I apologize but one can say the same for UConn, if they're legit or not. Both teams have different reasons as to why this might be the case. For UConn it must be of who is playing versus who's not playing and the fact only 5...ok 7 players are playing and winning but somehow the AP voters still have them at #5 after having the #1 OOC schedule and then some.

In LSU's case it's the opposite, yes they keep on winning but their OOC SOS get's in their way. I will say Carolyn Peck tried her best to defend LSU's OOC SOS rank last night, when ESPN put up an image of their NET rank along with their lofty OOC rank.

Bottom line, all this will come out in the wash, until then we both have our cross to carry. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I'm expecting a low-scoring, high-foul affair. Oh...and a lot of rebounds.
As long as the fouls are called both ways….Generally speaking, when there has been a big game at home, SC takes care of business with this group of Seniors. It’s already a sell-out, so there will be 18,000 screaming fans in the building. The story of the game will be who wins the rebounding game. You better believe that’s going to be both team’s focus because that’s the strength of SC and LSU. But I digress….we have Kentucky and UConn this week. We will know a lot more about our teams, respectively, after this week.

Reaction Score
I saw this differently. Tenessee's bigs frustrated her and she went into a shell. She wanted to make this a show, per the LSU theme for the season. Towards the end of the first half you could see her trying to create something and had those two wild drives to the hoop.

What I didn't understand is how she wasn't called for a tech in the second half. Poa got called for clapping towards Puckett. Reese licks her fingers and dances after getting a foul and not a peep. When you compare them, they both seemed minor, so I'm confused why Poa got hit with the technical from a consistency perspective.
I think the difference is that poa's clap was directed at the opposing player whereas Reese's was a celebration with her own team. So poa's was more taunting as opposed to celebrating. Taunting is what got Reese in trouble last week so hopefully she learned and now Poa will as well.

Reaction Score
I think the difference is that poa's clap was directed at the opposing player whereas Reese's was a celebration with her own team. So poa's was more taunting as opposed to celebrating. Taunting is what got Reese in trouble last week so hopefully she learned and now Poa will as well.
TBH...I didn't think Poa did all that much. Did she say something as well?

Reaction Score
I know this is not a UConn thread and I apologize but one can say the same for UConn, if they're legit or not. Both teams have different reasons as to why this might be the case. For UConn it must be of who is playing versus who's not playing and the fact only 5...ok 7 players are playing and winning but somehow the AP voters still have them at #5 after having the #1 OOC schedule and then some.

In LSU's case it's the opposite, yes they keep on winning but their OOC SOS get's in their way. I will say Carolyn Peck tried her best to defend LSU's OOC SOS rank last night, when ESPN put up an image of their NET rank along with their lofty OOC rank.

Bottom line, all this will come out in the wash, until then we both have our cross to carry. :rolleyes:

UConn has multiple ranked wins against ranked opponents and their roster has not even been complete all year. I'm not really understanding the comparison.

Reaction Score
UConn has multiple ranked wins against ranked opponents and their roster has not even been complete all year. I'm not really understanding the comparison.
Neither do I. From what I've noticed majority of the teams ranked higher than UConn are/were undefeated (e.g. OSU, LSU and South Carolina). And their ranking has improved steadily the past few weeks. The cross bearing analogy seems like a stretch.

Reaction Score
Indeed, that's part of my comparison, I mentioned by saying UConn has the #1 OOC SOS (which implies they have multiple ranked wins and against ranked opponents if they go look at it) and also playing with 5-7 players but yet the AP/Coaches Poll voters still have UConn at #5...IMO, voters must not know whether UConn is legit as well. Let me ask you, do you feel UConn is getting their fair shake from the voters?

I was simply replying to the poster who said, "It is strange that 21 games in and nobody really knows if LSU is legit". I gave my reasons suggesting as to why that may be the case for LSU.

Neither do I. From what I've noticed majority of the teams ranked higher than UConn are/were undefeated (e.g. OSU, LSU and South Carolina). And their ranking has improved steadily the past few weeks. The cross bearing analogy seems like a stretch.
You didn't like the reference to the cross? :D I added for extra drama effect.

Reaction Score
Ignore the polls. Charlie has UConn projected as a 1 seed and LSU a 2 seed in his two most recent Bracketologies.

Coaches poll has UConn ranked 2nd. My bad, coaches have UConn ranked 4th. Must of been looking at Net, not coaches poll.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Indeed, that's part of my comparison, I mentioned by saying UConn has the #1 OOC SOS (which implies they have multiple ranked wins and against ranked opponents if they go look at it) and also playing with 5-7 players but yet the AP/Coaches Poll voters still have UConn at #5...IMO, voters must not know whether UConn is legit as well. Let me ask you, do you feel UConn is getting their fair shake from the voters?

I was simply replying to the poster who said, "It is strange that 21 games in and nobody really knows if LSU is legit". I gave my reasons suggesting as to why that may be the case for LSU.

You didn't like the reference to the cross? :D I added for extra drama effect.

Ahhh okay, I see. I think the voters have just been going by record. Until recently, there were 3 undefeated teams so I understood OSU being ahead of UConn even though I didn't think they were necessarily better. Looking at the current rankings, the only team above with the same amount of losses is Stanford. The Pac-12's strength helps Stanford's case when justifying the ranking. So, I think voters are just going by record even though I am not sure LSU is better than Indiana for instance.

Regarding UConn getting a fair shake, I just think it is difficult simply because of the injuries. I believe if UConn had everyone, they would firmly be a top 2 team. Maybe even the best team. In UConn's case, I think they are currently projected to be a 1 seed still. Even if they lose to SC, I think they will manage to stay on that line barring an expected loss along the way. LSU's case is a little murkier. How would a bad loss at SC impact their seeding and rank? Or what if they happen to lose one to someone we don't expect? At this point, some of these top teams can afford an unexpected loss (Stanford just had one) because of the strong schedules beforehand or in conference. LSU may not have this same luxury.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom