Is Sunday's UConn-Tennessee game a must-win for the Huskies? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Is Sunday's UConn-Tennessee game a must-win for the Huskies?

Reaction Score
If we get a 16 seed and we beat a #1, suddenly after day 1 of the tournament, we are essentially a #1 seed.
Of course UConn is not a 16 seed, but hopefully you get the idea. Do the math.
As far as staying home, I don't think they deserve it. Maybe going away will be good for them. Less pressure. Chance for more bonding.
They, along with some crappy luck, made their own bed. No they have to lie in it. They're gunna have to beat a couple of #1's to win the NC.

Reaction Score
A win is needed to secure a 2 seed and increase the chances to being sent to the closest regional. The teams need this win to remind themselves of how good they are as well. They have not been playing well against decent or lackluster teams recently.
And most importantly, the team needs to win because a loss would close the BY for a few days
A win secures a #2 seed?
Secures?
Doubtful.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
This is a big game for UConn for many reasons which have been mentioned in various posts. This will be a big win for the Paigeless Huskies. Now think how much it will raise their confidence and over all physic-ee. No to mention when Paige gets back how much of a different team this will be. I think we will have more balance and more attention to each individual player to score and not defer. One thing the NCAA Committee looks at is what teams are playing good in the second half of the season. A long win streak will help UConn alot with the NCAA Committee.

Reaction Score
Must win no doubt as much as some posters want to downplay it . If we don’t win we won’t get home court advantage in the NCAA this the game the committee will use as the eye test judgement. Quality opponent !

Reaction Score
The only must win games will be in March. A win against the Vols would be a good win. We will have to play like we did against Criegton from the 2nd quarter on to beat them. The match-ups and adjustments will be the difference. We have been finding some bench scoring which will continue to allow Geno to find a rotation which will work. In other words who hot and playing well and who is not. Got my Popcorn ready. Go Huskies!!!!!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
A win secures a #2 seed?
Secures?
Doubtful.
I think the assumption behind Hayven's post is that UConn will run the table with the Big East games (regular season and tournament) that remain on its shedule after tomorrow. If UConn wins tomorrow and is a four-loss team at the time of the NCAA selections, then I think UConn will be a #2 seed, or at worst a high #3 seed which would presumably put UConn in Bridgeport. That would be the most favorable outcome that UConn can expect at this point.

If UConn loses to TN, on the other hand, then a #3 seed (anywhere) would be the best that could be hoped for. A #4 seed would be nasty, since it would probably mean facing a #1 seed in the Sweet 16.

Reaction Score
VERY IMPRESSIVE coach and individual. Very well spoken. Tennessee is going to be a force to reckon with from here on out.
I think she has done well in steadying the program, but it's not "back" just yet. She fired folks to get better recruits and the results are still out. They have one in '22, the daughter of a TN alum. Next year will be a struggle for TN with the departures. I was just thinking the other day if there was ever a time when a coach fired their spouse. Anyone?

Reaction Score
I don't think that it's as much of a "Must win", as it is a "Must Play".

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
In terms of NCAA regional placement, UConn's chances of landing in Bridgeport might actually be better as a high 3 seed than as a low 2 — or, for that matter, as a high 4 vs. a low 3. Not that there's any way to know exactly where a win or loss in this one game would put them exactly.

Reaction Score
In terms of NCAA regional placement, UConn's chances of landing in Bridgeport might actually be better as a high 3 seed than as a low 2 — or, for that matter, as a high 4 vs. a low 3. Not that there's any way to know exactly where a win or loss in this one game would put them exactly.
Uh, Uh, Uh,...
Whaaaa?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Uh, Uh, Uh,...
Whaaaa?
Teams are placed in the bracket in the order of the S-curve. So, out of the 4 teams on each respective seed line, the 1st team is more likely to be placed near home than the 4th team, notwithstanding any necessary deviations from the S-curve due to conference affiliation, bracket balance, etc.

If you look at the committee's reveal of Jan. 27, UConn was #11 overall, i.e. the third 3 seed, and they were bumped to a more distant regional because another 3 seed was ahead of them on the S-curve. Which wouldn't have happened if UConn were, say, #9 (the first 3 seed).

Reaction Score
Teams are placed in the bracket in the order of the S-curve. So, out of the 4 teams on each respective seed line, the 1st team is more likely to be placed near home than the 4th team, notwithstanding any necessary deviations from the S-curve due to conference affiliation, bracket balance, etc.

If you look at the committee's reveal of Jan. 27, UConn was #11 overall, i.e. the third 3 seed, and they were bumped to a more distant regional because another 3 seed was ahead of them on the S-curve. Which wouldn't have happened if UConn were, say, #9 (the first 3 seed).
Agree completely.

For background information for the S-curve ("S" stands for snake; last year was in one location, so geography was NOT a factor - "grain of salt" addition needed):

Principle document (pdf) [not sure if this document helps much....]:

This WILL BE an excellent WIN vs. UT, whether one point or 20+ points. Running the table through the BE Champioship should push UCONN to #8 or #9 overall prior to Placement into the Championship Brackets [bottom 2 or Top #3].

Go Huskies!!!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The only “must” for UConn is getting Paige back and her being at a high level.
This team has no shot of going far without her, and almost anything is possible with her (at 90+ %).
Depends what you mean by far. Regional finals is possible without her. FF maybe not so much.

Reaction Score
What an amazing/great win for the team. Very impressive. I guess at this point it does not matter if it is a "MUST" win game or not. Then again, as a fan of the team... I never would have vocally questioned their ability to win a game... Looks like a 2 seed in Bridgeport is not that hard of thing to imagine now...

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
You could see it in the faces of our team after the game. It was a much-needed win and they knew it. The game was most obviously a must win for the Husky fans on the BY. Almost a hour after the game and the posters are still giddy and besides ourselves. The players are going to be just fine, there are still likely ups and downs coming while winning out from here. I was more worried about my friends on this forum. Like me most of you wear your Husky emotions on your sleeves, we can now relax, cancel our shrink appointments breathe easier for a least a few days. :cool:

Reaction Score

That is the on the men's side... the womens side focuses on Geography and money making. But thanks for trying to explain to us how you think it works.

Reaction Score
Still waiting to find out for the Basketball gurus on this site if todays game was really a "MUST WIN" game. Did we ever come to a conclusion on that?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom