Is Sunday's UConn-Tennessee game a must-win for the Huskies? | The Boneyard

Is Sunday's UConn-Tennessee game a must-win for the Huskies?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I agree with this:

"UConn's best chance of staying closer to home in the tournament rests with being better than the No. 3 seed where it was slotted in the reveal. That is why, in contrast to what nearly anyone would have predicted at the start of the season, Sunday's game means more to UConn than it does Tennessee."

Thoughts

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I would not say anything is “must win” until the final week of the season. We do not know what happens to other teams (or us) that might change the equation until then. But if we switch to “important” ….

Important for staying in Bridgeport? Yes, but it depends on what happens to all teams moving forward.

Important for our chances in the tournament? Hardly. That depends much more on who is healthy to play than seedings. We could be seeded seventh out west with Bueckers and stand a better chance than seeded second in Bridgeport without Bueckers. In that regards it is more important for Tennessee, for whom health is currently less of a question mark.

Important for the “rivalry?” Much, much, more important for Tennessee. They have yet to prove they can beat us in the post-Summit era and only within the past couple of years have made the games competitive. If they can’t beat us without Bueckers that’s a far greater stigma for them.

Reaction Score
Nope. Would be nice to get a win, but probably makes no difference. TN has not played well last couple of games. Not sure what's going on. They got blown out the other night.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I know I was thinking what might happen to seedings if we lost to either the Providence team or the Creighton team? Now that this has passed, maybe some speculation?

Reaction Score
In this crazy environment...my conclusion is, and this applies to ANY TEAM because they have all shown unexpected vulnerabilities, is that the 6 games in the tournament are the only must-haves. Even if a team gets a preferable placement/seeding, chances are something out of their control is bound to happen. That's just the current reality. Prepare mentally for the worst circumstance(s). I was watching part of the UCLA game last night and their bench looked like an ICU. Crazy.

Reaction Score
March madness isn't far away. Tennessee hasn't played well lately. Yes, it is very important to win this game for both seeding and making a statement that Uconn isn't a 10th seed.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
We really don't have any quality wins this year. A win over the LVs, even though they are not playing well now, would be a very confidence builder for the players. They will still be a top 10 team when we play them, so this will help us when the tournament brackets are announced. If we lose, our chances to play in Bridgeport will take a hit, especially since we are already slated for Spokane in the last reveal. Yes, I know, Charlie Creme takes are not those of the committee, but we still need a quality win to show that we deserve to stay in the east. If we can win this game, I believe all the tickets UConn fans have already purchased for the regional will be well spent.

Reaction Score
IF...big IF...Creme is right...and there's no movement in the rankings (the BIG PART) he has Tenn as the 2 in Spokane and Uconn as the 3...meaning they could potentially meet in the tourney. UCONN might have to beat IOWA and I don't like that matchup. But, in reality, by next week the whole regional bracket could take a hit.

Reaction Score
Tennessee has taken such a hit recently that beating them is not the same as it would have been a few weeks ago. It sure would be great to get off to a strong start and get the crowd behind the team. Tennessee must be reeling from the punches some right now.

Reaction Score
yes. it is a must win. If TN wins after losing to Auberon and Florida it will reflect real bad on UConn and the seeding that UConn will get. UConn winning will enhance the argument that UConn is a 2 seed and should be placed at the Bridgeport region.

Reaction Score
I agree with this:

"UConn's best chance of staying closer to home in the tournament rests with being better than the No. 3 seed where it was slotted in the reveal. That is why, in contrast to what nearly anyone would have predicted at the start of the season, Sunday's game means more to UConn than it does Tennessee."

Thoughts
It is hardly a must win. It is simply another game, and our last one this year, against an out of conference quality team. It is another test of where we are. Win or lose doesn't matter. As to where we are in the NCAA Tournament, that will evolve as it will.

Reaction Score
The only “must” for UConn is getting Paige back and her being at a high level.
This team has no shot of going far without her, and almost anything is possible with her (at 90+ %).
I disagree. If by "going far" you mean winning the championship, yes it would be difficult without Paige. But our team without Paige is developing cohesiveness and new players (Fudd, Ducharme, Juhacz) are contributing so much more now than when season began. To me it certainly seems that we could get to final four. Two more players are also coming around again- I like how Aaliyah is staying hungry and aggressive, and I was impressed by Evina's rebound against Creighton. Except for 1st quarter when Creighton shot lights out and UConn was figuring things out, that was a great performance by everyone (and Liv was huge!)- we really dominated Creighton in their gym for 3 of the 4 quarters and won by close to 20 points.

I think UConn, even without Paige, can indeed advance far. Most teams in the tournament would prefer not to play UConn- a wounded animal can be dangerous.

Reaction Score
Tennessee has taken such a hit recently that beating them is not the same as it would have been a few weeks ago. It sure would be great to get off to a strong start and get the crowd behind the team. Tennessee must be reeling from the punches some right now.
On the backhand they may come out extra motivated but i doubt it .

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
we really dominated Creighton in their gym for 3 of the 4 quarters and won by close to 20 points.
We lost the first 17 minutes by 12, won the last 23 minutes by 32....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom