Is Saniya Chong a Pro Prospect? | The Boneyard

Is Saniya Chong a Pro Prospect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Will Saniya be like Kiah Stokes, and surprise at the pro level? Can she get drafted? And can she stick with a WNBA team and produce?

She certainly has a great assist/turnover ratio, and against the #4 team in the nation, had five assists and no turnovers. She has more offensive talent than Kelly Faris had.

Can she make a career at the pro level?

Reaction Score
That's a very good question. Does she even have designs on a career in the WNBA?

If I had to wager a guess right now, I would unfortunately say no to at least the second part of your question (i.e. sticking with a team and producing). Saniya lacks the physical gifts of a Kiah Stokes, and unlike Kiah at the same point in her development/career, Saniya is probably much closer to the upper limit of her realizable playing ability. And I just think there's so much more talent available to the WNBA now than even five years ago when Kelly entered. Heck, look at how challenging it has been even for a player the caliber of KML to become a reliable contributor at that level.

Hope I'm eventually proven wrong, though. Right now I am reveling in Saniya what she's bringing to our team day in and day out in her senior year!

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If Saniya plays like she did against Maryland for the rest of the season, couple with a few more 3s, she will be drafted.

In the WNBA, getting drafted in the later rounds is not a guarantee you will make it. Therefore, it is similar to being invited
to training camp and if Saniya can play like she did last night consistently, I think she would be invited to a camp.

Reaction Score
I don't know if she will be drafted but I think she would be drafted if she played anywhere other than UConn. She would have been a 4 year starter at virtually any other school and would have put up huge offensive numbers and had more visibility. Geno's focus on defense and his tight leash on her have made her a better all around player, but have hurt her draft outlook IMO. She was a starter at the beginning of her sophomore year on a great team and scored 20 against Stanford 87 games ago and then rarely got another chance to start until this year. She seemed to lack confidence and assertiveness at times, traits that she exuded in HS, where she was one of the most prolific scorers in NYS history. What she showed this year against FSU in the season opener and against MD last night are how she is capable of playing every game. In fact, she can exceed that, but as a true team player (like almost everyone that Geno recruits) she will continue to play whatever role the Coach wants (or allows) her to.

On a different note, her high school team, lost to a public school team on Wednesday for the first time in 85 games. The last time they lost to a public HS was in the NYS state championship tournament 5 years ago to Cicero North and Stewie. Thank goodness the end of that streak wasn't an omen last night for another streak:)

Reaction Score
Is Saniya Chong a Pro Prospect?
EVERY young woman who plays for Geno at UConn is a pro prospect; the WNBA and beyond. Seriously.

To wit: "Coming from UConn, we understand [Geno Auriemma's] players have already learned quite a bit and are detail-oriented," NY Liberty Asst. Coach Katie Smith said. "They understand the game and catch on very quick. If they've played for four years and done their part for that program, there is a built-in professionalism that comes to the WNBA with them. It shows, they catch on; they understand some of the nuances. So as a coach, you understand right from the start that they can handle it.”

I have no idea if Saniya will make it in the W or not. But she has what it takes, on a lot of fronts.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yes Saniya is a WNBA prospect. Saniya is comparable to Bre Moseley who was largely a role player at MD. Saniya is a better shooter/scorer. Bre was drafted in the second round by Indy of WNBA, actually made the team before being waived in June of the WNBA season.

Reaction Score
EVERY young woman who plays for Geno at UConn is a pro prospect; the WNBA and beyond. Seriously.
Most young women who play for Geno go pro in something other than basketball. Think of how many UConn professionals there have been. Now consider how many kids have played for Geno over the 32 years.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Most young women who play for Geno go pro in something other than basketball. Think of how many UConn professionals there have been. Now consider how many kids have played for Geno over the 32 years.

Times are changing. More money and opportunities (overseas) for the best players. The real world is becoming a fall back position
for many.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Will Saniya be like Kiah Stokes, and surprise at the pro level? Can she get drafted? And can she stick with a WNBA team and produce?

She certainly has a great assist/turnover ratio, and against the #4 team in the nation, had five assists and no turnovers. She has more offensive talent than Kelly Faris had.

Saniya Chong most definitely has WNBA potential, will she ever be a star at the level, no she won't but it's because of her personality and mental make-up. Chong is a pure scorer and she can do it in a variety of ways, she has just enough size at 5'8" to be effective. She's not the fastest, quickest or most athletic, but she's athletic enough, she's smart and tough, did I mention she's a pure scorer? If you're looking for a WNBA comparison for her, the Chicago Sky's Allie Quigley would be the best I can think of. If a WNBA team gives Saniya a shot, I guarantee they'll be happy. One thing she has that no player coming out has is a championship pedigree and she comes from a winning culture and that matters....

Reaction Score
I think she'll make it if she wants to whether she is drafted or not.

She has that "intestinal fortitude" and will to succeed from her years on the national championship teams.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I don't know if she will be drafted but I think she would be drafted if she played anywhere other than UConn. She would have been a 4 year starter at virtually any other school and would have put up huge offensive numbers and had more visibility. Geno's focus on defense and his tight leash on her have made her a better all around player, but have hurt her draft outlook IMO. She was a starter at the beginning of her sophomore year on a great team and scored 20 against Stanford 87 games ago and then rarely got another chance to start until this year. She seemed to lack confidence and assertiveness at times, traits that she exuded in HS, where she was one of the most prolific scorers in NYS history. What she showed this year against FSU in the season opener and against MD last night are how she is capable of playing every game. In fact, she can exceed that, but as a true team player (like almost everyone that Geno recruits) she will continue to play whatever role the Coach wants (or allows) her to.

On a different note, her high school team, lost to a public school team on Wednesday for the first time in 85 games. The last time they lost to a public HS was in the NYS state championship tournament 5 years ago to Cicero North and Stewie. Thank goodness the end of that streak wasn't an omen last night for another streak:)
Welcome to the board!

Regarding Saniya's not playing much in her sophomore year, she was suffering from IT Band Syndrome and played in a lot of pain. Her lateral movement was severely affected, making her a liability on defense, which limited her playing time. I think it bothered her at times last year too. It's fun to watch Saniya play when she's pain free since she can make some electrifying moves to the basket. She's another one I wish had been 100% healthy for her entire four years (along with Heather, Kalana, and Morgan Valley).

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
If she wants to pursue it I think she could well latch on with a team for a few years - Swanier (5) and Battle (6) are examples of less than star quality guards out of Uconn that had surprisingly long WNBA careers - never starting or contributing much on the floor but being great teammates and giving a few minutes rest to the starters.

Reaction Score

Not in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
Agree with the comments that she won't be drafted based on one game, or a couple of games. And I don't know how her IT band is holding up. Is it chronic? Or is it a thing of the past? Haven't heard anything recent on it.

Just a hunch that she will be better as a pro than she has been on UConn. She is a pure scorer, based on what she did in high school. She seems to be "fitting in" at UConn, and her scoring really haven't been needed.

Wonder.....

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I hope we revisit this when Saniya is drafted and plays well for a WNBA team. She won't ever be a star. May come off the bench, but as someone wisely pointed out, if Simmons can make a team, Saniya surely can.

Reaction Score
She's shown flashes, and the ability to get to the rim anytime she chooses is a good sign. But, consistency has been her main issue from way I've seen. She's had great games in her career against top teams (Stanford, FSU, Maryland), but that may not be enough. Of course in the later rounds it shouldn't be too difficult, especially with this being a weaker class, but time will tell. She'd have to get taken by a team that needs shooting/scoring and get in that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom