Is Saniya Chong a Pro Prospect? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Is Saniya Chong a Pro Prospect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have pondered this question for some time. As of now, I don't see her having a WNBA career. I think her size and shooting style work against her, as well as her lack of an effective mid-range game. She's quick but not really, really quick, so even though some players her size do make it, the size/quickness issue works against her.

As with others, and especially @Kaizen, I have thought that she might well hook up with a foreign team, especially a Chinese team. Given her lineage, some franchise might find that appealing.

The wildcard aspect, as others have pointed out, is that there is a long line of UConn players who were not stars in school but went on to have success in the WNBA. If she wants it, I hope she is able to join that line.
Well said Gus ...

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Players I never thought would have a WNBA career: Kara Lawson, Allie Quigley.

S.C. has been hampered in her growth by her mind and body. That doesn't mean she hasn't absorbed a ton while at UConn. Can she continue to grow on both fronts post-UConn? To be seen. But neither we, nor WNBA coaches (remember the praise heaped on Kelly?) know what happens in the pro world.

Reaction Score
The presumption that she is a scorer, pure or otherwise, is not accurate, at all. I had expectations when she came to Storrs that she would be and there's nothing that she's done here to suggest she actually is. I wish I was wrong but when has she ever lit up the scoreboard or created her own shot? She is about as far away from KML as there is because her shot is nowhere near as pure or quick and she shoots from her chest. With the quickness of athletes you find in the WNBA, she'd never have the spacing or time to get off her shot without it being stuffed. She's a "nice" college player and that's where it ends. I think some Boneyarders want all "their girls" to succeed and move on to the WNBA in some capacity but I'm not inclined to think she will, IMHO!

I agree with everything you said- like everything except - I do believe she is a socrer. She scored vs Stanford when she started. She scored vs FSU. The thing is - I don't believe she can be a scorer for a top tier team that must win a lot of games because of the things you cite. There are games in the past when UCONN plays the pretty good team but not real good teams and the shut down the other team's top scorer. IMO Saniya would be similar to that.

She won't make the WNBA. Teh injury issue also adds up. But as you say -- I love her. Love how she is contributing. Love how she has so far persevered.

The examples of Charde and Kiah and Farris that others give - imo are bad examples. Not all 5th/6th or 7th players that either start or come off the bench are equal.

Reaction Score
I have pondered this question for some time. As of now, I don't see her having a WNBA career. I think her size and shooting style work against her, as well as her lack of an effective mid-range game. She's quick but not really, really quick, so even though some players her size do make it, the size/quickness issue works against her.

As with others, and especially @Kaizen, I have thought that she might well hook up with a foreign team, especially a Chinese team. Given her lineage, some franchise might find that appealing.

The wildcard aspect, as others have pointed out, is that there is a long line of UConn players who were not stars in school but went on to have success in the WNBA. If she wants it, I hope she is able to join that line.

I agree. Love your points.

Others have cited Stokes. But Stokes was one of the greatest defenders ever in UCONN history. Charde- she was a terrific one-on-one player with very good size for a WNBA small forward. Farris was an elite defender. I don't believe Saniya's offense with her athleticism and injury issues translates well tot the WNBA in which there aren't many teams and they are the elite of the elite.

And the talk of "if she went to another school . . ." All it means was that she would have scored more points. It wouldn't have made her "better."

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
There will need to be amazing changes in Chongs game to go in the first round. That won't happen. But she could get picked up. The AAC games and the NCAA's are Chong last chances to "make a difference'.
Kelly's assets were she was fundamentally sound and worked hard. She has been on the edge of being dropped by the pros for a few years now--few knew how or where to use her. The Australian team dropped her.
Yes, and she is also very strong.

Reaction Score
Comparing her and Saniya is so, so very silly! These comparisons are totally out of wack. With each level of competition you move to, things are extraordinarily more difficult. Saniya was apparently a great high school player in a rural area but if you strictly go by numbers, how many great high school players (compared to their peers) are there every year???
1. People have different opinions. But call other people or acts "silly" or "out of wack" are not nice. I don't know what are your definitions of "silly" or "out of wack".
2. What's wrong with a girl in a "rural area"?

Reaction Score
I do hate topics like this coming up because it forces people to be yay or nay about a kid who is part of a team that we all love. I don't like the idea of questioning someone's abilities or contributions to this team but conversely I don't live in Fantasyland and I try to be honest and candid. Just because someone is a quality kid and a decent basketball player in Storrs doesn't automatically qualify them as a professional athlete. I see all these proud Moms and Dads and Grandmas and Grandpas with stickers on their cars about their "pride and joy" kids who were honors in middle school or high school and does that automatically make them a nuclear physicist or suggest that they'll cure cancer. Some of these kids eventually get a job at Walmart (if they're lucky) so let's try and be real and just enjoy what they're doing now and how they've contributed to the team in their own way. Threads like this are poison, to me because as mentioned, I don't want to bash anyone or hurt anyone's feeling but I do like to be honest.
You hit upon an American philosophy that has little fact in the real world. Everyone cannot be a CEO, Top Manager, or even a straw boss. Many in colleges belong in Technical schools, some don't belong in Tech Schools--yet they are all pushed into college.
But everyone is entitled to a chance to live comfortably and happy= not rich. Everyone's Grand papa isn't Bill Gates. Society offers expectations for some beyond the mental and/or financial ability to compete.
Back to Chong---She deserves the opportunity to compete--then it is all up to her.

Reaction Score
How is Kelly Faris doing in professional basketball? Comparing her and Saniya, she is a lot more physical, much better defensively, a far better rebounder and her shooting numbers by her senior year were very comparable to the numbers that Saniya is presently putting up. Kelly has struggled to get many minutes (from what I understand) and her long term prospects in staying on a WNBA roster is questionable, at best. What would that suggest for Saniya???? I suppose anything can happen but even first round WNBA draftees often don't play or stay and is she anyone's first round pick????

Kelly like Saniya were/are Emotional favorites for UConn Fans. Kelly, in my opinion, was more than lucky to make any Wnba team.
But as a fan and a lover of College kids who work their tails off to entertain me--and allow me to run around the world saying--We are Number ONE--. We are number one and I didn't do any thing to help that happen. Bragging rights due to the hard work and dedication of (now) 12 young women who give up much of the College life and social life to give me the pleasure of watching them play at a level never before seen in WBB. They both (Kelly and Chong) deserve a shot at anything their hearts desire--goes too for the 300 or more women who played for Uconn as I have been a fan.

Reaction Score
You hit upon an American philosophy that has little fact in the real world. Everyone cannot be a CEO, Top Manager, or even a straw boss. Many in colleges belong in Technical schools, some don't belong in Tech Schools--yet they are all pushed into college.
But everyone is entitled to a chance to live comfortably and happy= not rich. Everyone's Grand papa isn't Bill Gates. Society offers expectations for some beyond the mental and/or financial ability to compete.
Back to Chong---She deserves the opportunity to compete--then it is all up to her.
Thank you for your posts ...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

I think that the Chinese league allows 1 foreigner per team. Is it possible that Saniya could make a roster and be considered a Chinese player and not THE foreigner? That could give her a huge advantage.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I think that the Chinese league allows 1 foreigner per team. Is it possible that Saniya could make a roster and be considered a Chinese player and not THE foreigner? That could give her a huge advantage.
Interesting idea.

She'll probably end up in France or some such. :p

Reaction Score
She'd have to give up her American citizenship.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Absolutely....if that Simmons girl from Tennessee can make, there's no doubt in my mind that Saniya won't make it!
Saniya has nowhere near the energy Simmons has... bad comparison

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Not necessarily. Sue and DT are both dual citizens - Sue Israel, DT Italy - it made their employment in Euro leagues even more attractive because they didn't count as non-euro players.

Rewatched the Maryland game and was very impressed with Saniya's defensive effort throughout the game - she was the perimeter defender least likely to be driven on throughout the game - she and Kia had great defensive games.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

If you mean she has to renounce her US citizenship to gain Chinese citizenship, that's not correct. I know many people who are dual US/Chinese citizens, and if her father is a Chinese citizen, she may already be a dual citizen. Or does the league require that one can't have citizenship in any other country?

Reaction Score
Will Saniya be like Kiah Stokes, and surprise at the pro level? Can she get drafted? And can she stick with a WNBA team and produce?

She certainly has a great assist/turnover ratio, and against the #4 team in the nation, had five assists and no turnovers. She has more offensive talent than Kelly Faris had.

Can she make a career at the pro level?

Yes. I can see Saniya being a decent pro. She has solid handles, great point guard decision making skills, great shot, and decent court vision. She might not start but she would be a solid back up point guard and make a decent career in the WNBA and overseas

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
She is starting point guard for Geno with v. good shooting skill, so yes she is a pro prospect.

So was Maria Conlon, and she was not.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Will Saniya be like Kiah Stokes, and surprise at the pro level? Can she get drafted? And can she stick with a WNBA team and produce?

She certainly has a great assist/turnover ratio, and against the #4 team in the nation, had five assists and no turnovers. She has more offensive talent than Kelly Faris had.

Can she make a career at the pro level?
She has all the skills, but she must be more aggressive, and shoot when she is open.

Reaction Score
She needs to be able to pass much better. That first move to the basket today was brilliant, but the passing left much to be desired.

Reaction Score
Kia Stokes is a monster rebounder and shot blocker and her only issue was expanding her offensive game. Her shot blocking per minutes played is very close to an NCAA record. She is an amazing physical specimen! Comparing her and Saniya is so, so very silly! Charde has athletic skills that far exceed Saniya and it's only her willingness to play in the system and stay under control that limited how much she played for the Huskies. These comparisons are totally out of wack. If Saniya were trying to penetrate and get a shot off against Kia, she would get eaten alive time after time after time. She wouldn't stand a chance. With each level of competition you move to, things are extraordinarily more difficult. Saniya was apparently a great high school player in a rural area but if you strictly go by numbers, how many great high school players (compared to their peers) are there every year??? When you go to college, the level of play (and athleticism) is radically improved and the jump to the WNBA is the best of the best. Saniya is just a solid college player, a part-time player and yet there's an expectaon by some she'll be able to graduate to the next level? Let's enjoy what she does do, okay?
Hey Buzzyboy, first Saniya did not play in a rural area. If Ossining is a rural area then all of CT is Hooterville. Second she planned in NYS Class AA against schools that at times have up to 3,000+ students.
Get your fact straight.
That said, this kid was a fantastic scorer in high school. At Uconn she has shown a few flurries of this ability. However, she has not been praised at Uconn for these flurries and thus her confidence is lacking most of the time. When she has had a great offensive performance it has either gone unmentioned by Geno or she has been ridiculed by him for some other offense like weak defense. Let no one forget the off color comment Geno made last season concerning a women going into cardiac arrest in the stands because she saw Saniya play defense. That comment was hurtful and uncalled for and was especially so to the woman who had the medical emergency and her family. To date I don't believe he ever apologized to anyone for that comment.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So was Maria Conlon, and she was not.
She was a prospect, being in training camp for WNBA teams two or three years and playing I believe in Ireland professionally until she decided to end the dream.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
She was a prospect, being in training camp for WNBA teams two or three years and playing I believe in Ireland professionally until she decided to end the dream.

Yes, but she was never going to stick in the WNBA.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Hey Buzzyboy, first Saniya did not play in a rural area. If Ossining is a rural area then all of CT is Hooterville. Second she planned in NYS Class AA against schools that at times have up to 3,000+ students.
Get your fact straight.
That said, this kid was a fantastic scorer in high school. At Uconn she has shown a few flurries of this ability. However, she has not been praised at Uconn for these flurries and thus her confidence is lacking most of the time. When she has had a great offensive performance it has either gone unmentioned by Geno or she has been ridiculed by him for some other offense like weak defense. Let no one forget the off color comment Geno made last season concerning a women going into cardiac arrest in the stands because she saw Saniya play defense. That comment was hurtful and uncalled for and was especially so to the woman who had the medical emergency and her family. To date I don't believe he ever apologized to anyone for that comment.
This year, she became a starter and coach Geno Auriemma has spoken highly of her. Chong was playing with the starting unit in practice Tuesday, the second day of practice after the team returned from the holiday break.

Saniya Chong, UConn Women Face Another Challenge In No. 4 Maryland

As a senior, Chong would seem to be the answer. She started in the first preseason game Tuesday and coach Geno Auriemma has been raving about her practice play.

"Right now, there haven't been too many people better than her," [Auriemma] said.

For Chong, The Time Is Now At UConn

Took me two minutes to find these.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member