Is next season "our" time? | The Boneyard

Is next season "our" time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Taking a break from the negativity and hand-wringing surrounding the program and its future home (pulling a HFD rain dance, praying for the B1G) to look towards what this program can do to assert itself as worthy of moving forward from the Big East and join our brother programs Pitt, Syracuse, Rutgers, West Virginia, Louisville and join a new conference. The answer is solving your problems by winning (I forget whose handle I am lifting this from, so I want to give them credit, because the message is absolutely on point).
Watching the news of the program from the last few weeks, it appears that as much as we love to rip Warde and Susan that at the very least they understand that the program must move forward. Hiring T.J. Weist over from Cincy is a huge coup (I love his credentials). This is step one in positioning this program for the future. All of the Huskies major problems last year really stemmed from two things. The most critical of which, was an inability to call effective plays and adjust the game plan when things were going wrong. With a new OC in charge, this frustration will change, and Uconn will make halftime adjustments when needed. Overlooked, though mentioned frequently on this board and in the media, was the poor performance of the offensive line.
The debate raged on the Boneyard as to whether Chandler is a good QB, and why McCombs suddenly lost his productivity in the offense. Fundamentally, the problems stemmed from the offensive line. Play after play, they were beaten and overpowered at the point of attack. This prevented them from opening holes for McCombs to run through, and prevented Chandler from having the time to make good decisions and deliver the ball. A quarterback who runs for their lives for four quarters is going to look bad regularly when he cannot go through the progressions and find the open man. He settled for short check-downs and passes to the TE rather than take more shots down the field. With the additions to the OL and inserting DeLeone as the line coach (I think he will do a good job in this role), the play of the offensive line will pick up and improve this upcoming season.
The program seems to be placing a higher premium in facilitating in-game communication between the position groups. That this is necessary is unacceptable, but making a change to fix the problem is nonetheless better than nothing, and a sign that the Huskies are moving in a better direction.
As painful as last season was for all of us to behold, let’s try and drag out and highlight some of the positives that we did see. First and foremost, Chandler is the best QB to wear a Connecticut uniform since Orlovsky. On this point, there is no debate. It did not always look good at times, far too many turnovers at bad times, but trailing late in games, with a porous offensive line; it just is inevitable that these mistakes will occur. I loved what I saw from him overall. I think he has a good arm, pretty accurate throwing the football, and most importantly, I like his demeanor. He did not get frustrated with himself, and still had the confidence to try and make plays even though he made errors earlier in the game. He appears to be a good leader of the team, and quite frankly, he handled the poor offensive play-calling well. Taking him out, throwing in Wildcat plays which never seemed to work, were not conducive to his gaining any forward momentum, and if I were the QB, I would not be happy with it. However, we did not hear a peep or hint of a complaint about the situation from Chandler. I like this kid, and his room to grow.
Lyle McCombs showed the flashes of star player as a freshman. He did not lose this ability, and I expect a bounce back season from him, with an improved line. The line play can only improve from here, considering how poor it was last year. A stronger offensive line, an OC who likes to throw the ball, superior receivers than we have ever had at Uconn prior to this season, and the talented players we have at the critical skill positions suggest a better offense is coming to Uconn. It is only a matter of time.
With a number of returning starters on defense, one of the best in the conference, I do not think this is a problem area for the Huskies. I will miss Don Brown, but I think with the talent there, the performance will not slip too far from the prior year. Linebackers seem to step up year after year, and while we will miss Yawin, Sio, and Blidi-Wreh Wilson, this unit is poised to continue Uconn’s tradition of stout, fundamental defense.
In the interest of time (no one wants to read an essay), I am going to conclude by highlighting one facet of running a college program which is without a doubt superior to when Edsall was coaching: Recruiting. I am a person who loved HCRE’s ability to take vastly underrated recruits and mold them into successful college players. However, his teams never seemed to have the skill, speed, and talent to seriously contend for greatness. To this day, few people have done more with less than HCRE. To get to the next level however, you flat out need talent. There is no getting around it. Bear in mind that between 2009-2011 (according to rivals.com), Uconn brought in one 4* recruit (Dwanye Difton), and twenty-one 3* players. In the two years that PP has been in charge, UConn has nineteen 3* players, with several more still possible to make decisions and sign LOI’s for Uconn. In less than two full recruiting classes, PP has brought in more talent than HCRE did in his final 3 seasons. I am going to defer to HFD, and hope that he can further break down some of the kids that we have, and who are still out there, because he is far my intellectual superior in this field, and will have better info.
Look at the changes that are going on right before our eyes. This team brought in a successful OC with a dynamic offensive philosophy, is upgrading its talent pound for pound, and position by position, and gets to show that we belong against the backdrop of low expectations, and negativity. Nothing turns around a fan base and perception than success when the odds are long. I am excited for this upcoming year, and it is up to us to support them, and show the world we belong. Jim Calhoun took the “us against the world” mentality to build its men’s basketball program, and our place in college basketball is undeniable because of it. We have done it before, and we can do it again. This is Uconn’s time, and the light at the end of the tunnel is not as dim as we fear.

Reaction Score
standingovation.jpg

Reaction Score
Good post. Stars don't necessarily mean talent, Blidi, Sio, and Trevardo were all two stars coming out of HS, Trevardo was bumped to three after attending prep. Not telling you nothing you didn't already know. We do seem to be competing for more kids with offers. This state is ready to embrace this football program, but we need a breakout season in the worst way. We haven't had that to date.

Reaction Score
Good post. Stars don't necessarily mean talent, Blidi, Sio, and Trevardo were all two stars coming out of HS, Trevardo was bumped to three after attending prep. Not telling you nothing you didn't already know. We do seem to be competing for more kids with offers. This state is ready to embrace this football program, but we need a breakout season in the worst way. We haven't had that to date.

You are absolutely right, and I don't ascribe to the stars=greatness idea. I do think, that they are a good predictor of beginning baseline talent overall. Having more highly regarded kids at the beginning of their careers does suggest a higher ceiling overall for a team, and I think that is what we will see moving forward. The point about Blidi, Sio, Trevardo is a great one. You can further that by mentioning Darius Butler, Lawerence Wilson, amognst others. I'm excited that the players we seem to be targeting and bringing in have the size and speed that Uconn lacked in the growing years. This can only increase the ability to go toe to toe with teams that we couldn't really do this against in the prior years.

Reaction Score
Nice job bringing out relative points...

We don't lose Yawin next year... He'll be back as a RS Junior. Think you may have been thinking about Gratz?

Would rather look ahead as well since we sure as hell can't change the past.

Reaction Score
Nice job bringing out relative points...

We don't lose Yawin next year... He'll be back as a RS Junior. Think you may have been thinking about Gratz?

Would rather look ahead as well since we sure as hell can't change the past.

I thought Yawin was graduating for some reason, my mistake.

Reaction Score
The key is still the most basic in football. Win the war on the line. It doesn't matter who's behind them if the O-line can't win that fight. McCombs can be a nice slash and dash runner but we need someone that can break a tackle and get that extra 3 yards. If they can't bring in some road graders to move the pile forward a yard or two we'll be right where we were last year. The defense was great but the defense isn't supposed to win the game for you..they are supposed to preserve the lead.

Reaction Score
Despite losing several standouts on the defense, including the coach, I still think we will be fine there.

It will be the same as last year. The difference between winning and losing will be the offense. And a ton of question marks remain. The hope is that a new O Coordinator, coupled with another year experience for the players (especially the O Line), will bring a bowl game. The line never played well together as a unit. And while Whitmer showed flashes, he made some pretty poor decisions with the football, which cannot be blamed on the O Coordinator at all. We desparately need a second running back to emerge to compliment McCombs. Again, people say it was the O Coordinator being stubborn, but I believe that the staff simply wasn't confident in the backup choices. As with other positions, we need to hope another year to get stronger, acclimated to the 1-A game has helped the backups.

Reaction Score
Damn right! Down here it's our time! It's all over the second we ride up Troy's bucket.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
DeLeone is going to do a good job as O-Line coach now that he has been inserted in this role? Um. OK.

It's a nice sentiment. The problem is now they have a bad roster and a tough schedule. They were lucky to swap out SDSU for Memphis - at least it gives them a prayer at 6 wins.

If they win 7 games they should cast Weist in bronze.

The wake up call will come early. Towson is not a gimme. Which is frightening.

Reaction Score
I agree with most of what you said. Except GDL doing ok at the OL. What in the past 2 years during GDL's time here gives you that hope? (I'm asking you this in all seriousness, not trying reign negativity on the parade). I really do think this team can surprise many next year, IF the offense opens up and is consistent week to week. At this point, I'm cautiously optimistic that this will be the case.

Reaction Score
DeLeone is going to do a good job as O-Line coach now that he has been inserted in this role? Um. OK.

It's a nice sentiment. The problem is now they have a bad roster and a tough schedule. They were lucky to swap out SDSU for Memphis - at least it gives them a prayer at 6 wins.

If they win 7 games they should cast Weist in bronze.

The wake up call will come early. Towson is not a gimme. Which is frightening.

I think 7 wins is definitely possible. The O has a long way to go, but the D will still be solid.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think 7 wins is definitely possible. The O has a long way to go, but the D will still be solid.

Anything is possible. If you think they are winning 7 games you can make a lot of money because the over/under in Vegas is going to be either 4.5 or 5.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I honestly can't believe we are 10 posts into a thread that discusses GDL as an offensive line coach... as if it's something new.

Reaction Score
I agree with most of what you said. Except GDL doing ok at the OL. What in the past 2 years during GDL's time here gives you that hope? (I'm asking you this in all seriousness, not trying reign negativity on the parade). I really do think this team can surprise many next year, IF the offense opens up and is consistent week to week. At this point, I'm cautiously optimistic that this will be the case.

I figured that this would be a major sticking point for all who post afterwards. I was not going to write a post with the intention of throwing DeLeone under the bus again. That has happened enough times without me reiterating my feelings on how he performed as an OC. His job description has changed, and he is now working with a group of players much more closely than he could as a coordinator. With the addition of new players to the offensive line with good size, and a coach who will be working closely with them in and out of games, I expect their performance to improve next season. Do I think there he is a coach who can achieve Harbaugh-esque greatness? No, but I do think that he maintained a coaching career for this long a period of time because he does actually know something about the game of football.

Feel free to castigate my opinions if he is a disaster there as well, which even with my optimism for the future, I am not going to rule out as possible. Until we see this actually play out, we are only basing our opinion of him for his poor performance as an OC, and assuming he cannot improve with a less substantial role. I'm not willing to presume that until I see it actually happen.

Reaction Score
I honestly can't believe we are 10 posts into a thread that discusses GDL as an offensive line coach... as if it's something new.

Well, no one mentioned GDL as a real topic of discussion until you brought it up...:cool:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well, no one mentioned GDL as a real topic of discussion until you brought it up...:cool:

Well your original post seems to infer that GDL coaching the offensive line would be a change....

Reaction Score
Well your original post seems to infer that GDL coaching the offensive line would be a change....

Certainly a change from focusing on play-calling which is a relief to us all. His responsibilities are now solely on coaching.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Certainly a change from focusing on play-calling which is a relief to us all. His responsibilities are now solely on coaching.

Yeah it can't get worse but he coached the offensive line in 2012 and we saw how that went.

Reaction Score
Whaler I don't think everyone who started on O-line last year are going to get their jobs back. This could lead to improvement alone.

Reaction Score
Yeah it can't get worse but he coached the offensive line in 2012 and we saw how that went.

It's possible, but I remember the line couldn't open holes against Umass, a glorified FCS team. If they can't do that just by sheer talent alone, no amount of coaching is going to fix that problem. New players presents the possibility that the OL, a traditional Uconn football strength, will find its footing again.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Maybe it will help the OL having him on the field instead of in the booth.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Maybe it will help the OL having him on the field instead of in the booth.

I'm pretty sure it would help the offensive line if we launched him on a rocket into outer space. But maybe it will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom