Is KO About to Land a Fab Group of Recruits? | The Boneyard

Is KO About to Land a Fab Group of Recruits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've had this feeling since May that KO could be the one coach that goes head-to-head with Calipari for the top recruits. These players definitely see the NBA in their near future, and no other coach has the education and NBA credentials that KO has. If you're a one-and-done, he's the guy you might want to tutor you for a year. He's also got charisma and the ability to relate to today's players.

This is just a gut feeling on my part, but I think this week is going to an eye opener for the college basketball recruiting world. The quiet has become deafening. That's about to change, I just feel it.

Reaction Score
I've had this feeling since May that KO could be the one coach that goes head-to-head with Calipari for the top recruits. These players definitely see the NBA in their near future, and no other coach has the education and NBA credentials that KO has. If you're a one-and-done, he's the guy you might want to tutor you for a year. He's also got charisma and the ability to relate to today's players.

This is just a gut feeling on my part, but I think this week is going to an eye opener for the college basketball recruiting world. The quiet has become deafening. That's about to change, I just feel it.
So, are you thinking Stone and Briscoe? Stone and Newman?

Also, as good a class as Stone, Briscoe, Enoch, and Adams would be, it still wouldn't be Fab 5 worthy. Nor would it be out of the realm of what UK has been consistently doing.

Reaction Score
I keep thinking a trifecta. I feel you need three for a Fab-type of class. I Kevin is positioning himself to land a slew of top recruits and to provide an alternative to KY, or more precisely, to Calipari.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I keep thinking a trifecta. I feel you need three for a Fab-type of class. I Kevin is positioning himself to land a slew of top recruits and to provide an alternative to KY, or more precisely, to Calipari.
So, you have this feeling. Adams, Enoch, Stone, Briscoe (?), and ????

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I hope he is established as a big time recruiter but even with great news over the coming week, we won't have a Duke or KY class.
But we don't need that.

Reaction Score
My concern; Briscoe goes to SJ as expected, Mack goes eslewhere, which is probably likely, and Stone choses Wisconsin. Then what? Seems the only player left on the radar at all is Jones and the early signing period will likely be just getting underway.

I know, in KO we trust, but it does seem a little strange that they seem to have stopped recruiting any other players for the 2015 class completely (and it's still very early).

pj

Reaction Score
My concern; Briscoe goes to SJ as expected, Mack goes eslewhere, which is probably likely, and Stone choses Wisconsin. Then what? Seems the only player left on the radar at all is Jones and the early signing period will likely be just getting underway.

I know, in KO we trust, but it does seem a little strange that they seem to have stopped recruiting any other players for the 2015 class completely (and it's still very early).

Maybe they feel confident about 2016 and 2017 and don't mind playing in 2015-6 with 10-11 scholarship players.

Reaction Score

Larry Brown.

H

huskymagic

If we can't get any of those guys that's not a good sign that KO is going to be a great recruiter. We need to get Stone to come to UCONN that alone will help a lot with publicity for recruiting. KO is a good recruiter but our class for 2015 consists of a Norwalk big man and a point guard from Roxbury Mass which are guys that we expect to get being they're from our backyard.
Stone signing will seal it for me.

Reaction Score
If we can't get any of those guys that's not a good sign that KO is going to be a great recruiter. We need to get Stone to come to UCONN that alone will help a lot with publicity for recruiting. KO is a good recruiter but our class for 2015 consists of a Norwalk big man and a point guard from Roxbury Mass which are guys that we expect to get being they're from our backyard.
Stone signing will seal it for me.

If your point is correct about our "back yard" then if Stone goes to UW it's a guy they expect to get too huh?

H

huskymagic

If your point is correct about our "back yard" then if Stone goes to UW it's a guy they expect to get too huh?

Good point mauconn but these guys we got grew up UCONN fans and we have won 4 titles in their lifetime. I am very skeptical that Stone grew up a Wisconsin basketball fan and he has expressed interest in playing away from home unlike a Drummond who either was going straight to the NBA from high school or was going to play only for UCONN.
--Wisconsin doesn't expect to retain their best in state guys like UCONN does because they haven't been as successful.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
In the late 1980's (until he was unceremoniously dismissed for things a man like KO would never be involved with) Barry Switzer always said "I tell a recruit: 'If you come to Oklahoma we'll go to major bowl games and compete for the national title. If you go somewhere else, we'll go to major bowl games and compete for the national title.'.".

We aren't going to pull any of the crap that OU pulled under Switzer but we are clearly in a position where no one recruit will be make or break to the program.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wisconsin doesn't expect to retain their best in state guys like UCONN does because they haven't been as successful.
I mean they did get Dekker and after him they've only lost two top 100 recruits from WI they've offered. Marquette is the school really swooping up recruits. Kind of odd how few in-state players Wisconsin goes after.

In my research I've also found Wisconsin has only got one two 100 recruits (from Minnesota and Ohio) since Dekker.

I have to say I used ESPN to research so this may be off.

Reaction Score

That isn't really strange at all. With the early signing period approaching, we've been all-in on the guys we think we have a chance of getting. Once these guys sign (or don't sign), then the staff will reevaluate where the 2015 class stands. If we still need a wing, you'll hear about Uconn reaching out to wings, etc.

Reaction Score

I will have whatever you're having.

Reaction Score
Just amazes me that Wisky has no players in the NBA. I mean they are good pretty much every year. You would think that some of their guys would stick? The list includes Devin Harris (backup pg) John Leuer (10th - 11th man on the bench) and The Steamer (Last man on the bench) Just don't get it.

H

huskymagic

Just amazes me that Wisky has no players in the NBA. I mean they are good pretty much every year. You would think that some of their guys would stick? The list includes Devin Harris (backup pg) John Leuer (10th - 11th man on the bench) and The Steamer (Last man on the bench) Just don't get it.

Gonzaga is "good" every year how many recruits do they have in the NBA? Sacre from the Lakers?

H

huskymagic

Kelly Olynyk and Austin Daye come to mind.

Adam Morrison has two rings!

lol that just brightened my day Adam Morrison. Basically the same as Wisconsin then like husky999 said.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Ollie is one Diamond Stone away from an excellent class.

If he goes 0-5 on Clarke/Mack/Briscoe/Jones/Stone, he's underachieved coming off a title, the new practice facility, etc.

If he goes 1-5 and the one is Stone, great.

If he goes 1-5 and the one is Mack or Jones, all right.

If he goes 2-5 and one of those is Stone, he's crushed it.

Briscoe and Clarke have sailed. I'm not holding my breath with Mack, but Stone is 50/50 and we have time to let the current UNLV infatuation settle with Jones.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Worse Case 2015:
Everyone goes pro. Nolan at center. TSam at point. Cassel at shooting guard. Facey at power forward. Calhoun at small forward.
Like this year Calhoun needs his jumper back.
Junior and Senior dominated team
Enuch, Adams, Lubin coming off bench.
Still NCAA team.
This means no transfers(unlikely). No recruits(unlikely)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom