Is it to early to look Forward | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is it to early to look Forward

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
30 years from now we'll all be cyborgs. You know, computer chips embedded in our brains, maybe we'll be able to communicate telepathically via a wireless network we're all jacked into.

Pretty rosy picture. I am thinking mutated zombies :rolleyes:

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
This is an Internet message board, not English class. Quickie thumb typing/swiping is fine with me. I’m a UConn fan, so I know perfectly well who CD is, and CD2, and it took about 1/100th of a second to figure out who Crystal Dangerfield was 4 years ago when she was a recruit. Who doesn’t know who “D“ is? That’s what GA called her for .

(Is “SP” gonna be so hard? How may times you wanna type out S-a-y-l-o-r P-o-f-f-e-n-b-a-r-g-e-r??? YOU can do it if you want, but I’m afraid you’re gonna lose this one.)
so it's more important to be quick than to be understood. i'm a looonngtime fan too, but it take me too many seconds to decode all these letters. i'm losing cognitve skills since a stroke and i'm sure other BYers have similar issues. so have heart. is it that much quicker to type SP instead of "Say," for example? Or "Meg" instead of MW? Really?

Reaction Score
30 years from now we'll all be cyborgs. You know, computer chips embedded in our brains, maybe we'll be able to communicate telepathically via a wireless network we're all jacked into.
30 years from now? I bet in <10 years you'll be able to plug the latest Nvidia "brain" video card into a slot in your temple. It's coming. Geez, for the last several years getting a pacemaker battery replaced is about like replacing an ink cartridge in your printer (except they replace the whole pacemaker because the pacemaker technology has advanced so much since the last battery was installed).

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yeah, I don't see the NCAA letting the Notre Dame case stand as precedent for anything involving another school and another year. And didn't I just read somewhere that they've tightened their requirements for playing immediately after transfer? If so, they can hide behind these changes if they want to. So it doesn't look to me as though there's any way to know until right before the season begins, because what we know for sure is the NCAA will not show any consideration and let UConn know in advance.
Since the Jessica Shepard waiver decision (November of 2017) the NCAA has twice "revised" the waiver guidelines for immediate eligibility. The first time was April of 2018 and then again in June 2019. Any precedent that might have been set in the Shepard decision is long gone and has been replaced by additional confusing guidelines and ~ 25 inconsistent decisions across 3 different NCAA sports.
This is the NCAA, expect the unexpected, just as Jessica Shepard & T'ea Cooper parents did.

Reaction Score
I vote for miniCD for Dangerfield... If you are a Huskie fan...how could you not be excited by the potential that this team presents. They are screaming "potential" 1. ONO will emerge as a force under the basket...blocking shots, grabbing rebounds and using that beautiful footworks around the basket to score. 2. Crystal Dangerfield is the best guard in WCBB not named Sabrina Ionescu. 3. Megan Walker has been busting at the seams to break out and live up to her high school hype. She was the best player in high school for a reason...I think this season Huskie fans will see why. 4. Christyn Williams is one of the most exciting players in college basketball...think how she exploded last year during the regular season against ND. She played 3 on 3 this summer...kept her competitive edge. I am looking forward to seeing how she above all others shows the sophomore bounce. 5. Evina Westbrook...I am on the "she gets approved for the waiver" team. She left a team voluntarily after the coach got let go. There is usually some leniency when that happens. She is not playing in the same league with Tenn. The new coach at Tenn has no relationship with Evina. And, while ND more enjoy more favored status than UConn...I think the optics would be terrible for the NCAA if they denied the waiver after fast-tracking Shepherd through the waiver process. As the number two player coming out of high school along-side of Megan Walker...when has that not worked out well for UConn? 6. Extra rebounding help from Evelyn Adebayo is a huge plus as ONO does have a tendency to get into foul trouble. 7. Hopefully a healthier Batouly Camara would give us three deep in the post 8. Kyla Irwin is another big who can shoot the three. 9. Name a UConn fan who isn't pulling for Molly Bent...she is a hard working, throw-back kind of point guard that can give our starting guards a break if needed. 10 and 11. Our newbies are exciting from a point of view of "potential". Aubrey Griffin, daughter of a professional athlete who has size, talent and just may end up being a steal from her class. With great coaching and with her being surrounded with great talent and players...who knows what Aubrey is capable of and how fast she is capable of delivering it. Our foreign player Anna Makurat is an experience professional having played in the Euro-leagues...she is a tall guard, who can see the floor and deliver pin point passes...she can shoot and if that isn't exciting she is a good rebounding point guard. That's 11 deep....great depth and hopefully the recipe for an oppressive man to man defense.

As I said in the beginning of this thread... How could you be a UConn fan and not be excited for this season?
I like the way you think!

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Too early to look forward to this season? I'm already looking forward to Bueckers and Poffenbarger getting to UConn in 2020!

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but Saylor will still be in high school in 2020. But Bueckers is plenty exciting enough to keep the excitement alive for 2020.

Reaction Score
Crystal's name has often been abbreviated Crystal Dangerfield over the last few years. CD2 was suggested, but someone pointed out that might be confused with Caroline even though no one had ever referred to her that way. That's the story of how Crystal Dangerfield got her abbreviation during the summer of 2016 as I remember it.

Reaction Score
Its a little early to look forward without knowing what to expect this season. Some question marks much like we had when KLS and Collier were sophs and we lost Stewie MoJeff and Tuck and went undefeated during the regular season. Those question marks this season are who will step up, who will be the 5th starter, how will ONO play, who will be our 6&7 players and will they make an impact and of course will Westbrook be granted a wavier and how will she fit into the UConn lineup? With that said we have a 3 starters who were ranked 1 and 2 out of HS and who pretty much deferred to KLS and Collier last season. Now its there turn. Makurat has proven she can play above her age but that is European ball and how does it compare to USA WCBB. Adebayo can play WCBB but hasnt played enough at the UConn level. Griffin is a very good scorer but needs experience and development in the UConn system. Is Camara healthy and can she contribute. Will Molly and Kayla make the leap and contribute.

So Im going to speculate without Westbrook in the lineup and see where we are. From what Ive heard ONO has improved imensly. Shes not perfect or the next Tina Charles but she is going to be, and shes special from what Ive been told. We know we have CD and CW maybe the best guard duo in the nation and their presence will open things up in the middle. Meg is going to be very very good this season. The 5th starter will be Makurat or Adebayo and they may split time as Makurat develops. Adebayo is here for one season and will contribute but it is more important to get Makurat ready for the post season and beyond.

Remember UConn is a team not dependent on one player. We dont have a Diana or Stewie this season and either does any other team. We are a team with defense first. How good we will be will depend on how fast we develop and our question marks answered. We have some tuff games early on and we have some big games after Christmas. These will exploit are weaknesses as well as our opponents weaknesses. Can we over come them I say yes we will.

If Westbrook is granted a wavier we will be even better. IMO and I have no inside information, I believe she will only because NDs Shepard was granted a wavier and if she isnt well it looks like ND was given a favor.

So now we wait and see. Having good guards is very important, add to that a big in the middle who is a shot blocker and intimidator and a wing who was a starter last season and has proven she can score and I like our chances alot. The ace in the hole is Westbrooks wavier. A starter at Tenn and a number 2 out of HS. Hey UConn is gonna be better then good if Westbrook can play. Mak and Adebayo are going to be very good.
Your first paragraph was superb. I liked the rest too. Good stuff.
C
Since the Jessica Shepard waiver decision (November of 2017) the NCAA has twice "revised" the waiver guidelines for immediate eligibility. The first time was April of 2018 and then again in June 2019. Any precedent that might have been set in the Shepard decision is long gone and has been replaced by additional confusing guidelines and ~ 25 inconsistent decisions across 3 different NCAA sports.
This is the NCAA, expect the unexpected, just as Jessica Shepard & T'ea Cooper parents did.
If argued by an attorney: A preference ever given is likely a preference to be given again. Coco---I refuse to argue against you I respect your postings that much. However, the NCAA does not appear to respond to logic or what is in the best interest of the player/person maybe the will to legal logic (oximoronic).
Yet I hope they sometime soon make a decision waiting for the player, coach, teammates, fans, anti-fans is dragging on much too long.

Reaction Score
Pretty rosy picture. I am thinking mutated zombies :rolleyes:
No Cyborg for me in 30 years I'll be dust so when you wipe dust from you shoes, be kind.

Reaction Score
You do not stand alone. I don't like it when they add numbers. Who is XX3, etc. Our language has degenerated into a bunch of grunts. From be right back, to brb, to b, to a head nod and a grunt. Don't get me started when they take two people and come up with some name combo. I hope I live long enough to see what communication will be like in thirty years. O2
Agreed!!! Who in the heck is Crystal Dangerfield, or 2, we all know CD (the orginal) adding numbers stink. Dangerfield is: Danger or Dangerfield and all know who that is. KLS is distinctive as is ONO, or Liv, Olivia,. CW too is distinctive for THIS team and all know whom that refers to or to whom that refers.

Reaction Score
Personally, I don't think the Westbrook waver is going to be granted. Tonyc thinks the NCAA really cares about being unfair by doing a "favor" for ND. They (NCAA) couldn't possibly care less. They are above the law and they thrive by showing it to all. Their decision process has nothing to do with fairness across the "peasant" base.
I truly and hopefully find that I am wrong. Time will tell.

Silly comment. The NCAA is run by the schools and does exactly what the schools tell it to do. All of its rules are voted on and passed by the member schools. None of us knows what the issues were with Shepard and whether some bad things happened that haven't been publicly released. Nor will we ever know.

Reaction Score
This is an Internet message board, not English class. Quickie thumb typing/swiping is fine with me. I’m a UConn fan, so I know perfectly well who CD is, and CD2, and it took about 1/100th of a second to figure out who Crystal Dangerfield was 4 years ago when she was a recruit. Who doesn’t know who “D“ is? That’s what GA called her for .

(Is “SP” gonna be so hard? How may times you wanna type out S-a-y-l-o-r P-o-f-f-e-n-b-a-r-g-e-r??? YOU can do it if you want, but I’m afraid you’re gonna lose this one.)
Few are NOW correcting your or that of anyone else. However, I've been reading the BY for many years and Uconn Women for more than 30 years yet i HAVE NO IDEA OF WHO CD2 MAY BE OR I GUESS Crystal Dangerfield MAY BE DANGERFIELD, WHOM I ALWAYS REFER TO BY HER DANGERFIELD OR DANGER. TO KEEP TRACK OF ALL THE SHOT CUTS IN WRITING TAKES AN INVENTORY i DON'T CARE TO KEEP. I HAVE TO DO A DOUBLE TAKE WHEN GA IS TYPED AND i'VE BEEN TYPING GENO SINCE THE DAY HE ARRIVED ON CAMPUS.
Old bill Clinton said it most effectively----keep it simple stupid. (just using a term not insult to you or implication towards you intended)

Reaction Score
Silly comment. The NCAA is run by the schools and does exactly what the schools tell it to do. All of its rules are voted on and passed by the member schools. None of us knows what the issues were with Shepard and whether some bad things happened that haven't been publicly released. Nor will we ever know.
I;ll believe the NCAA is fair and does as the schools tell it to do WHEN Stanford doesn't allow rich to buy their way in to that school. Of course we all know that doesn't happen!!

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
Very interesting. "The NCAA does exactly what the schools tell it to do." I'll take that under advisement and visualize "the schools" telling the committee (aka NCAA) "what to do" in all future decisions. Don't get me wrong, I understand the rule making. It's rule application that is in question. We all know there is serious disparity in fairness across all institutions under the rule of the NCAA. Answers to waver requests, disciplinary action decisions, etc etc are all meted out fairly? Not quite!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Even sillier that you seem to be straying far away form the subject. First I'm not aware of any "rules" regarding immediate eligibility just NCAA "guidelines". Second, if the NCAA was really run by the schools and did exactly as the schools wish, why should the schools need to submit a waiver request?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom