Is it to early to look Forward | The Boneyard

Is it to early to look Forward

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Its a little early to look forward without knowing what to expect this season. Some question marks much like we had when KLS and Collier were sophs and we lost Stewie MoJeff and Tuck and went undefeated during the regular season. Those question marks this season are who will step up, who will be the 5th starter, how will ONO play, who will be our 6&7 players and will they make an impact and of course will Westbrook be granted a wavier and how will she fit into the UConn lineup? With that said we have a 3 starters who were ranked 1 and 2 out of HS and who pretty much deferred to KLS and Collier last season. Now its there turn. Makurat has proven she can play above her age but that is European ball and how does it compare to USA WCBB. Adebayo can play WCBB but hasnt played enough at the UConn level. Griffin is a very good scorer but needs experience and development in the UConn system. Is Camara healthy and can she contribute. Will Molly and Kayla make the leap and contribute.

So Im going to speculate without Westbrook in the lineup and see where we are. From what Ive heard ONO has improved imensly. Shes not perfect or the next Tina Charles but she is going to be, and shes special from what Ive been told. We know we have CD and CW maybe the best guard duo in the nation and their presence will open things up in the middle. Meg is going to be very very good this season. The 5th starter will be Makurat or Adebayo and they may split time as Makurat develops. Adebayo is here for one season and will contribute but it is more important to get Makurat ready for the post season and beyond.

Remember UConn is a team not dependent on one player. We dont have a Diana or Stewie this season and either does any other team. We are a team with defense first. How good we will be will depend on how fast we develop and our question marks answered. We have some tuff games early on and we have some big games after Christmas. These will exploit are weaknesses as well as our opponents weaknesses. Can we over come them I say yes we will.

If Westbrook is granted a wavier we will be even better. IMO and I have no inside information, I believe she will only because NDs Shepard was granted a wavier and if she isnt well it looks like ND was given a favor.

So now we wait and see. Having good guards is very important, add to that a big in the middle who is a shot blocker and intimidator and a wing who was a starter last season and has proven she can score and I like our chances alot. The ace in the hole is Westbrooks wavier. A starter at Tenn and a number 2 out of HS. Hey UConn is gonna be better then good if Westbrook can play. Mak and Adebayo are going to be very good.

Reaction Score
So we wait and see. Nothing wrong with that. I think that you will have all of your answers somewhere between 7 to 10 games into the season. We probably will see some experimentation. And the coaches will find the ones they can trust for difficult situation. Can they shoot? Yes. Can they score? TBD. What kind of game will they play vis a vis strategy? TBD All of this makes the season very interesting and probably fun to watch.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
Personally, I don't think the Westbrook waver is going to be granted. Tonyc thinks the NCAA really cares about being unfair by doing a "favor" for ND. They (NCAA) couldn't possibly care less. They are above the law and they thrive by showing it to all. Their decision process has nothing to do with fairness across the "peasant" base.
I truly and hopefully find that I am wrong. Time will tell.

Reaction Score
Some comments on this good thread thus far: TONY: you never fail to talk sense and raise spirits.
ALL OF YOU: Do I stand alone in wishing that we would stop with the use of initials? I am not one of the modern folks who finds everything "offensive" by any means; bur, for one example, when I see "CD" my first thought is always "Chris Dailey" and might be a smoother ride for some of us old crocks if we used at least a first name or a last name or both instead of initials.
VERY OLD DOG: never noticed you using the USMC before. Are you a leatherneck?? If so, thank you and Gob Bless You.

Reaction Score
Personally, I don't think the Westbrook waver is going to be granted. Tonyc thinks the NCAA really cares about being unfair by doing a "favor" for ND. They (NCAA) couldn't possibly care less. and they thrive by showing it to all. Their decision process has nothing to do with fairness across the "peasant" base.
I truly and hopefully find that I am wrong. Time will tell.

MAINE: Could not agree with you more on two points: 1. ND gets plenty of breaks in many sports 2. The NCAA could care less about "fairness" and such.

Reaction Score
I imagine CW could become the go-to player this year. Her ability to score in every conceivable way makes her unique. Walker will likely slide between the 4 and the 3 (which seems like a more natural position for her), but might be asked to play the 5 if foul trouble or depth becomes an issue (mainly if Camara/Adebayo aren’t up to standard). Her ability to confidently hit the midrange and 3 could prove crucial for this team. Camara could be an x-factor if she plays like she did for Guinea. She proved she could shoot with range, bang inside, rebound, block, and make plays in tough situations. Given how physical Adebayo and Camara can be I think they could be either interchangeable (subbing each other out) or could play together against tougher, more physical teams UConn might come across.

The main thing I want to know is how well this team can stay out of foul trouble. ONO in particular will be key on both ends of the floor, so she will need to be a post defender and a rim protector without fouling. Camara tended to foul often, too, so I’m hoping she’s healthy and can play physical without fouling.

The other thing is who will be the primary perimeter defender. Will it go to Walker if she’s asked to play the 3 given her size, strength, and speed at that position? Or will Dangerfield have to guard the opposing team’s best guard? Will Griffin or Makurat with their speed and experience (respectively) get the nod as the defensive stopper(s) even though they’re only freshmen?

My finally question is how will Kyla and Molly play this season? Will they continue to be the bench players they’ve been or will they finally make meaningful contributions—even if only as role players?

Needless to say I’m excited for this season to start!

Reaction Score
Yeah, I don't see the NCAA letting the Notre Dame case stand as precedent for anything involving another school and another year. And didn't I just read somewhere that they've tightened their requirements for playing immediately after transfer? If so, they can hide behind these changes if they want to. So it doesn't look to me as though there's any way to know until right before the season begins, because what we know for sure is the NCAA will not show any consideration and let UConn know in advance.

Reaction Score
Some comments on this good thread thus far: TONY: you never fail to talk sense and raise spirits.
ALL OF YOU: Do I stand alone in wishing that we would stop with the use of initials? I am not one of the modern folks who finds everything "offensive" by any means; bur, for one example, when I see "CD" my first thought is always "Chris Dailey" and might be a smoother ride for some of us old crocks if we used at least a first name or a last name or both instead of initials.
VERY OLD DOG: never noticed you using the USMC before. Are you a leatherneck?? If so, thank you and Gob Bless You.

Can we "grandfather in" ONO and not let us spell out Olivia Nelson-Ododa? :D

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Tony...
This season, I have no sense at all what the teams going to look like, play like...
So many new faces, combinations, unknowns...
But looking forward...
Geno and the staff will certainly earn their salary this year...

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Too early to look forward to this season? I'm already looking forward to Bueckers and Poffenbarger getting to UConn in 2020!

This season will be fine, likely Final Four, doubtful championship.

My (not too far) out-on-a-limb prediction is that Walker will have a memorable season on the boards, be close to averaging a double-double (something like 17/9), and be a true inside-outside threat.

Reaction Score
I don't think Uconn has ever won a National Title without a least one first team all american. I do not see one on this team but I do think the team will be in the top 5 at the end. Regarding initials I think ONO will have to apply for a waiver to be grandfathered in..we will know by the first game..

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Winlots, I understand your dilemma. I've also been the victim of initials used in a post that I had no idea of who they were referring to. When I construct a post, I want everyone that reads it to follow along. I don't want to lose anyone by substituting initials for a name, especially for players on other teams.

Whenever I refer to players on other teams, I always use their whole name the first time I refer to them, then their last name only after that. When referring to our girls, I usually use their last name, unless I'm referring to Olivia Nelson-Ododa. I (and most of the other yarders) simply use "ONO", or "Liv", assuming that everyone knows who those names belong to. Admittedly, A person not familiar with our roster, or new to thew yard could be confused. Resident BY'ers know who CW, CD, ONO, EA, EW, and BC, etc. are.

We must remember that we get new visitors to the Boneyard EVERYDAY!! When they read our comments, we always want them to know who we're referring to. I will try and remember to limit the use of initials, and not assume that everyone that reads our posts knows who we are referring to. I for one will try and do better. ;)

Thanks for the heads up. It's the squeaky wheel that gets the oil. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
CARNAC: Thanks for the understanding and support. And as for the wheels, mine seem to get a little more squeaky everyday.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Yeah, I don't see the NCAA letting the Notre Dame case stand as precedent for anything involving another school and another year. And didn't I just read somewhere that they've tightened their requirements for playing immediately after transfer? If so, they can hide behind these changes if they want to. So it doesn't look to me as though there's any way to know until right before the season begins, because what we know for sure is the NCAA will not show any consideration and let UConn know in advance.

Tomcat, you've got a witness. It never entered my mind that the NCAA would do UConn any favors, or show them any consideration what so ever. I was elated when the news of Westbrook coming to UConn broke.
But I never thought for one minute that she would be granted a waiver, even though the circumstances involving her departure from Tennessee was similar to those of other players whose waiver was granted.
I've said all summer in previous comments that I'm NOT counting on her being part of this year's team.

UConn is not a "fair haired" favorite of the NCAA, and I don't expect any favors or even an unbiased review of her petition. We're not Notre Dame. I'm still trying to figure out how Jessica Shepard's waiver was granted. She left the Nebraska Cornhusker program voluntarily.

Until I hear otherwise, I'm assuming that Westbrook will sit this year. Needless to say I hope I'm wrong, and for once the NCAA throws UConn a bone. The program could really use her skill-set and leadership this season. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Winlots, I understand your dilemma. I've also been the victim of initials used in a post that I had no idea of who they were referring to. When I construct a post, I want everyone that reads it to follow along. I don't want to lose anyone by substituting initials for a name, especially for players on other teams.

Whenever I refer to players on other teams, I always use their whole name the first time I refer to them, then their last name only after that. When referring to our girls, I usually use their last name, unless I'm referring to Olivia Nelson-Ododa. I (and most of the other yarders) simply use "ONO", assuming that everyone knows who ONO is. Admittidly, A persom not familiar with our roster could be confused by CW, CD, ONO, EA, EV, etc.

We must remember that the get new visitors to the Boneyard EVERYDAY!! When they read our comments, we always want them to know who we are referring to. I will try and remember to limit the use of initials, and not assume that everyone that reads our posts know who we are referring to. I for one will try and do better. ;)

Thanks for the heads up. It's the squeaky wheel that gets the oil. :)

I'm familiar with our roster but I'm still confused by this player....I think you want EW?

I'm attaching a quick chart for those that want to print out and place next to their monitor. :rolleyes:

Carnac

Reaction Score
I'm familiar with our roster but I'm still confused by this player....I think you want EW?

I'm attaching a quick chart for those that want to print out and place next to their monitor. :rolleyes:

View attachment 46185

Thanks. A typo for sure (corrected). Your chart will eliminate a lot of confusion. :)

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I vote for miniCD for Dangerfield... If you are a Huskie fan...how could you not be excited by the potential that this team presents. They are screaming "potential" 1. ONO will emerge as a force under the basket...blocking shots, grabbing rebounds and using that beautiful footworks around the basket to score. 2. Crystal Dangerfield is the best guard in WCBB not named Sabrina Ionescu. 3. Megan Walker has been busting at the seams to break out and live up to her high school hype. She was the best player in high school for a reason...I think this season Huskie fans will see why. 4. Christyn Williams is one of the most exciting players in college basketball...think how she exploded last year during the regular season against ND. She played 3 on 3 this summer...kept her competitive edge. I am looking forward to seeing how she above all others shows the sophomore bounce. 5. Evina Westbrook...I am on the "she gets approved for the waiver" team. She left a team voluntarily after the coach got let go. There is usually some leniency when that happens. She is not playing in the same league with Tenn. The new coach at Tenn has no relationship with Evina. And, while ND more enjoy more favored status than UConn...I think the optics would be terrible for the NCAA if they denied the waiver after fast-tracking Shepherd through the waiver process. As the number two player coming out of high school along-side of Megan Walker...when has that not worked out well for UConn? 6. Extra rebounding help from Evelyn Adebayo is a huge plus as ONO does have a tendency to get into foul trouble. 7. Hopefully a healthier Batouly Camara would give us three deep in the post 8. Kyla Irwin is another big who can shoot the three. 9. Name a UConn fan who isn't pulling for Molly Bent...she is a hard working, throw-back kind of point guard that can give our starting guards a break if needed. 10 and 11. Our newbies are exciting from a point of view of "potential". Aubrey Griffin, daughter of a professional athlete who has size, talent and just may end up being a steal from her class. With great coaching and with her being surrounded with great talent and players...who knows what Aubrey is capable of and how fast she is capable of delivering it. Our foreign player Anna Makurat is an experience professional having played in the Euro-leagues...she is a tall guard, who can see the floor and deliver pin point passes...she can shoot and if that isn't exciting she is a good rebounding point guard. That's 11 deep....great depth and hopefully the recipe for an oppressive man to man defense.

As I said in the beginning of this thread... How could you be a UConn fan and not be excited for this season?

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I vote for miniCD for Dangerfield... If you are a Huskie fan...how could you not be excited by the potential that this team presents. They are screaming "potential" 1. ONO will emerge as a force under the basket...blocking shots, grabbing rebounds and using that beautiful footworks around the basket to score. 2. Crystal Dangerfield is the best guard in WCBB not named Sabrina Ionescu. 3. Megan Walker has been busting at the seams to break out and live up to her high school hype. She was the best player in high school for a reason...I think this season Huskie fans will see why. 4. Christyn Williams is one of the most exciting players in college basketball...think how she exploded last year during the regular season against ND. She played 3 on 3 this summer...kept her competitive edge. I am looking forward to seeing how she above all others shows the sophomore bounce. 5. Evina Westbrook...I am on the "she gets approved for the waiver" team. She left a team voluntarily after the coach got let go. There is usually some leniency when that happens. She is not playing in the same league with Tenn. The new coach at Tenn has no relationship with Evina. And, while ND more enjoy more favored status than UConn...I think the optics would be terrible for the NCAA if they denied the waiver after fast-tracking Shepherd through the waiver process. As the number two player coming out of high school along-side of Megan Walker...when has that not worked out well for UConn? 6. Extra rebounding help from Evelyn Adebayo is a huge plus as ONO does have a tendency to get into foul trouble. 7. Hopefully a healthier Batouly Camara would give us three deep in the post 8. Kyla Irwin is another big who can shoot the three. 9. Name a UConn fan who isn't pulling for Molly Bent...she is a hard working, throw-back kind of point guard that can give our starting guards a break if needed. 10 and 11. Our newbies are exciting from a point of view of "potential". Aubrey Griffin, daughter of a professional athlete who has size, talent and just may end up being a steal from her class. With great coaching and with her being surrounded with great talent and players...who knows what Aubrey is capable of and how fast she is capable of delivering it. Our foreign player Anna Makurat is an experience professional having played in the Euro-leagues...she is a tall guard, who can see the floor and deliver pin point passes...she can shoot and if that isn't exciting she is a good rebounding point guard. That's 11 deep....great depth and hopefully the recipe for an oppressive man to man defense.

As I said in the beginning of this thread... How could you be a UConn fan and not be excited for this season?

Reaction Score
ALL OF YOU: Do I stand alone in wishing that we would stop with the use of initials? I am not one of the modern folks who finds everything "offensive" by any means; bur, for one example, when I see "CD" my first thought is always "Chris Dailey" and might be a smoother ride for some of us old crocks if we used at least a
You do not stand alone. I don't like it when they add numbers. Who is XX3, etc. Our language has degenerated into a bunch of grunts. From be right back, to brb, to b, to a head nod and a grunt. Don't get me started when they take two people and come up with some name combo. I hope I live long enough to see what communication will be like in thirty years. O2

Reaction Score
This is an Internet message board, not English class. Quickie thumb typing/swiping is fine with me. I’m a UConn fan, so I know perfectly well who CD is, and CD2, and it took about 1/100th of a second to figure out who Crystal Dangerfield was 4 years ago when she was a recruit. Who doesn’t know who “D“ is? That’s what GA called her for .

(Is “SP” gonna be so hard? How may times you wanna type out S-a-y-l-o-r P-o-f-f-e-n-b-a-r-g-e-r??? YOU can do it if you want, but I’m afraid you’re gonna lose this one.)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I hope I live long enough to see what communication will be like in thirty years.

30 years from now we'll all be cyborgs. You know, computer chips embedded in our brains, maybe we'll be able to communicate telepathically via a wireless network we're all jacked into.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom