Is it possible that UConn is #1 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Is it possible that UConn is #1

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
For everyone who said Stanford and SC looked "underwhelming"... These are the 2 best teams in the nation early on in the season. A low scoring game in regulation (neither team scored over 70). Testament to tough defense making it hard for the other team to score.

UCONN put up bunches of points against teams they beat last season, then scored under 60 in losses. It's expected when you play a really good team you won't score as much. How about the NC game 53-47 over Stanford back in the day?

UCONN did not look great against Texas. We had the lead up to 17 or so, and let them back in the game. A Texas team, who BTW, also lost to Marquette by the same MOV. So 3 games in, this is the first game against a preseason top 10 team who we looked great against. Let's see how we do in the next few games.

And BTW this was basically with playing just 5 players. Ayanna gave some minutes and had a little production, Caroline gave us some minutes and had no production, and Ines and Amari got 1 minute each. We have a tremendous starting 5. We need more. We HAVE more - it's just they are injured (Ducharme and Juhaz). There is no way Caroline can be 100%. She's a shell of the player who came on gangbusters last season.

The morons who put this team at 6 or lower totally discounted the talent that we have that is NOT named Paige Bueckers. Frankly it was insulting. A 3-seed? Good lawd. Loving this team! Go HUSKIES!!

Reaction Score
Numbers are tricky things. Last season UConn lost 6 games, making that team the possessor of one of the worst records in recent history. Stewie's teams lost only 5 games in 4 years. Yet last season the Huskies appeared in the NC game with a run of outstanding wins over very good teams. 6 loses, yikes! And yet . . .

Reaction Score
Yes that defense on the free throw in regulation was so tight.
I was referring to her defense on Haley Jones smart ***. She missed those FTs but we don’t go to OT without her three. She’s elite at what she does!

Reaction Score
Still a 3. Haven't proven anything more than that... yet.

But The Stanford-SC game shows how we can beat both teams. Guard play, not frontcourt dominance. That's how Stanford built that early lead, and we can outplay the guards on either team. Of course, if they improve their guard play, it will be a battle. And that's why we play the games.

Reaction Score
It's possible they're the best team, maybe.

It's not possible that they'll be (or deserve to be) #1 in the polls tomorrow. They'll be #3. With a big gap between them and whoever #4 is.

Reaction Score
Too early to have that target on their back. The Gamecocks are. And should be, number 1. For now...

Reaction Score
How can you credit and discredit Beal in the same sentence. Lol she was facing tough defense the second half!
Perhaps you should read with more comprehension than spending time LOL.

Please explain to me how I discredited Beal (BTW, I was only responding to a previous post claiming Boston and Beal won the game for SC)? Jones is supposed to be the great AA yet she missed critical shots that were open, lost the ball on a TO, and couldn't get the ball inbound when Stanford had a chance to win. Boston and Beal were a significant contribution to the SC victory but the Stanford AA had the opportunity to keep SC from being victorious.

Reaction Score
Perhaps you should read with more comprehension than spending time LOL.

Please explain to me how I discredited Beal (BTW, I was only responding to a previous post claiming Boston and Beal won the game for SC)? Jones is supposed to be the great AA yet she missed critical shots that were open, lost the ball on a TO, and couldn't get the ball inbound when Stanford had a chance to win. Boston and Beal were a significant contribution to the SC victory but the Stanford AA had the opportunity to keep SC from being victorious.

Again. It was defense. That’s it that’s all.

Reaction Score
Still a 3. Haven't proven anything more than that... yet.

But The Stanford-SC game shows how we can beat both teams. Guard play, not frontcourt dominance. That's how Stanford built that early lead, and we can outplay the guards on either team. Of course, if they improve their guard play, it will be a battle. And that's why we play the games.

Stanford built an early lead because Haley Jones and Brink were playing extremely well and they kept SC off the boards.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
South Carolina is the big dog in women’s basketball right now. They are the number one team in the country until someone proves they are not on the court. We will get our shot.

Reaction Score
I think we should be #2. We beat the #3 and #10 teams consecutively and Stanford lost on their home court and did not look good in the process.

Reaction Score
I disagree that either of them, Stanford or SC, didn’t look good yesterday. They looked exactly like truly excellent teams look when they play each other. The two games UConn had against SC didn’t look like this because those weren’t truly even matchups. But the game two years ago, looked like this — tons of mistakes, kids really felt the pressure, and a few transcendent plays on offense and defense.

Reaction Score
The various experts who cast weekly ballots may not agree
or haven't come to the inevitable conclusion yet...

But on the basis of this afternoon's (late eve in the Med...near Barcelona) matchups,
UConn seems most the impressive team by far.

And can only get better with the addition of a healthy Caroline and Dorka
and of course CD.
No.

South Carolina won a close one over Stanford. They'll stay #1

Reaction Score
I disagree that either of them, Stanford or SC, didn’t look good yesterday. They looked exactly like truly excellent teams look when they play each other. The two games UConn had against SC didn’t look like this because those weren’t truly even matchups. But the game two years ago, looked like this — tons of mistakes, kids really felt the pressure, and a few transcendent plays on offense and defense.
Looking good refers to coach and player decisions as well. Not getting the ball inbounds and calling time out when you don't have one is not looking good to me. Both mistakes were critical and gave away chances at winning. Missing a critical free throw in regulation is not looking good to me either. If Jones makes that free throw they force SC to make a 3 with time running out. A lot different than getting the ball to Boston for a standard 8-10 foot shot.

Reaction Score
Looking good refers to coach and player decisions as well. Not getting the ball inbounds and calling time out when you don't have one is not looking good to me. Both mistakes were critical and gave away chances at winning. Missing a critical free throw in regulation is not looking good to me either. If Jones makes that free throw they force SC to make a 3 with time running out. A lot different than getting the ball to Boston for a standard 8-10 foot shot.
That’s certainly fair. But it’s also what I meant by kids feeling the pressure, which is just much higher in games like this. I remember the mistakes UConn made in the Stanford game last year, including a blown inbounds play. And Stanford had a few too. Folks rushed to make excuses for their defeat — they just didn’t shoot well was a common one — but none were needed. Two great teams met and this is what it often looks like.

Reaction Score
To be honest, I didn’t think Stanford was going to be great this year. But this loss changed my mind. Even with Jones playing poorly, they managed to force an overtime — maybe stumble into one is more accurate, but the fact is they played a great team to a draw in regulation even if they faltered toward the end. Also, Lepolo had a good game at pg, which has been a hole in their lineup. I’m much more favorably impressed by them than I was before. An awkward, mistake filled game, but you can see what they might become in February and March much more clearly now. And of course SC also is going to be tremendous then too. UConn is going to have to beat both of them to win the NC, I expect. And I like our chances.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
When Stanford needed a basket they went to Jones. She was defended and shouldve passed the ball instead of forcing up a shot and a couple were fade aways. With Boston out of the game in foul trouble Stanford looked good. IMO Jones and Brink were the only two scorers who could create for Stanford. When Brink got in foul trouble it limited her play. Stanford made to many mistakes when SC mounted their come back. UConn will be 3 and could very well be a close 2.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I know some will disagree, and that's fine. I don't think ANY TEAM should drop in the rankings if they lose to a team that is ranked ABOVE them. Even if they lose like Stanford did. I watched that whole game from start to finish. THAT game (to me) was much more exciting than ours. Stanford had their foot on SC's neck most of the game. Boston picked her 2nd foul in the 1st quarter and sat out the entire 2nd quarter. Stanford went ice cold in the 3rd quarter allowing SC to close the gap.

"The Gamecocks walked away from their 76-71 overtime road victory with an increased belief in their bench (outscored the Cardinal 34-9), their superstar (Aliyah Boston had her struggles yet still finished with a double-double and never got rattled) and their resilience (down after the first, second and third quarters, they outscored Stanford 32-17 over the fourth period and OT)."

SC kept their poise and caught them late in the 4th, but Stanford still could have won. Except for two mistakes late in the game and in overtime, Stanford played well enough to win. SC made some BIG clutch plays at the end of the game and in overtime. As another poster said, until somebody knocks them off, South Carolina should remain ranked the number one team in the country. Stanford (IMO) is still the number 2 team in the country. They showed they CAN go toe to toe with SC and win. They didn't yesterday, but they have the POTENTIAL to. They should have won that game. UConn can make their case to be the number one or two team in the country on February 5, when they host South Carolina at the XL Center.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom