Is FSU blocking UConn? | The Boneyard

Is FSU blocking UConn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/20...18_1_acc-schools-acc-basketball-acc-additions

Among the schools whose names have come up in ACC talks as possible entries is Big East member Connecticut.
But officials from two ACC schools cautioned Sunday that the conference was not close to being ready to approve Connecticut — not all members are on board with that move — or any other school as a 15th or 16th member. The officials, who declined to be named while the matter was ongoing, declined to put a timetable on the next possible expansion.
One of the officials said there remained concerns about striking the proper balance between football and basketball. One member school, Florida State, has indicated its interest in making sure whatever conference it is in — including a reformulated ACC — has a high enough football profile. Florida State has formed a committee to examine its options.

Reaction Score
I guess I would be concerned if I was FSU too. They are football school and Pitt and Cuse didn't exactly increase the quality of that side of the athletic conference (and Uconn would be in the same boat). This seems like it will take some time to filter out.

Reaction Score
FSU is probably seriously considering a switch to the SEC.
That's my thought, too. In football a conference is important. Who you play, even if it is only the name on the jersey, is important for perception. In basketball, the confernece is pretty much irrelevent and at the highest levels of play only serves a scheduling funtion.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
compared to teams like duke/bc and wake. any of uconn cuse pitt would in fact help the fball side on the acc.....the real problem is that by cuse and pitt jumping to the acc, the acc already has a couple unworthy players, so spots become tougher. if wake or duke was in the b12, they would be .

Reaction Score
I have to believe that if the SEC would have them it would help FSU big time. Might not be a bad move at all.

Reaction Score
Exactly- FSU hasn't been a powerhouse for almost 10 years.

I also really don't see a logical reason for this if true. FSU dominated the ACC when the rest of the conference stunk, yet they had no problem gaining national acceptance.

The same can be said for Miami in the big east in the early 2000s, USC in the Pacten in the mid-2000s, and OSU in the big ten from 2002-till last year.

FSU will still get their games against UF and Miami, as well as some quality opponents in Vatech, Clemson. Uconn is arguably better than Duke, perhaps even Wake now, and almost at the same level as NC state, Maryland, and BC (definitely this year!).

Clemson always seemed like the best fit for the SEC out of all the ACC teams, but FSU would be good as well.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Its certainly plausible. The ACC appears to have unity by the way events have played out so far. But once any association develops between more than one party, differences arise regarding what is the best course of action. Even one party occasionally struggles in defining its direction but it gets very complicated between two or more parties. FSU is the ACC member most in control of its destiny regarding sports. It has a very good viable option with the SEC if it doesn't like the way things are going in the ACC. None of the other ACC schools have this luxury. For better or worse they are married to one another. So FSU and any other ACC school that agrees with FSU's concept of a sixteen team conference is the driver of this conference currently. On the other hand Duke, North Carolina, Maryland and probably the Virginia schools are not going to roll over by any FSU proposal. So I wouldn't be surprise to see FSU going to the SEC and BE schools filling the gaps. The problem is are there three BE schools who qualify academically?

Reaction Score
The problem as I see it is the 20M buyout, somewhat recently agree on by acc members. that's still quite a chunk of change and remains s reasonable deterrent. sec is nice but 20M nice. BE is a cheap date by comparison @ 5M. This one for you Fleu....hhhemmmmmm (clearing my throat) did you ever have to make up your mind? did you ever have to finally decide? to say yes to one and leave the other behind. it's not often easy not often kind................did you ever have to make up your mind?

Reaction Score
Not understanding why FSU would want to leave the ACC. The ACC stands to be one of the remaining super power conferences and it would be much easier to win and come out unscathed in that league than in the SEC.

Reaction Score
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/20...18_1_acc-schools-acc-basketball-acc-additions

Among the schools whose names have come up in ACC talks as possible entries is Big East member Connecticut.
But officials from two ACC schools cautioned Sunday that the conference was not close to being ready to approve Connecticut — not all members are on board with that move — or any other school as a 15th or 16th member. The officials, who declined to be named while the matter was ongoing, declined to put a timetable on the next possible expansion.
One of the officials said there remained concerns about striking the proper balance between football and basketball. One member school, Florida State, has indicated its interest in making sure whatever conference it is in — including a reformulated ACC — has a high enough football profile. Florida State has formed a committee to examine its options.
FSU to the SEC may be a problem because of Florida. Florida sees themselves as far superior to FSU particularly academicly and they are. Not that academics are all that important in the SEC. Maybe FSU is trying to figure out how to get out of the $20.MM ACC exit fee.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
FSU to the SEC may be a problem because of Florida. Florida sees themselves as far superior to FSU particularly academicly and they are. Not that academics are all that important in the SEC. Maybe FSU is trying to figure out how to get out of the $20.MM ACC exit fee.
"We'll let UCONN and RU in if you waive our exit fee"?

Reaction Score
The problem as I see it is the 20M buyout, somewhat recently agree on by acc members. that's still quite a chunk of change and remains s reasonable deterrent. sec is nice but 20M nice. BE is a cheap date by comparison @ 5M. This one for you Fleu....hhhemmmmmm (clearing my throat) did you ever have to make up your mind? did you ever have to finally decide? to say yes to one and leave the other behind. it's not often easy not often kind................did you ever have to make up your mind?
What a perfect accompianment for these poor University presidents and chancellors as they attempt to make these decisions!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
What a perffect accompianment for these poor University presidnets and chancellors as they attempt to mmake these decisions!

Good one Suzy! And you thought you had problems when the electricity went out.

Reaction Score
$20 mill is what, a little less than one years payout for SEC tv rights? I think it's a slight deterrent, but nothing that would become more than a slight inconvenience for FSU if they were to gain acceptance.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
$20 mill is what, a little less than one years payout for SEC tv rights? I think it's a slight deterrent, but nothing that would become more than a slight inconvenience for FSU if they were to gain acceptance.
Why would any team contemplating leaving agree to to an increase in the exit fees? Maybe for stability in the short term. Maybe if there was a collateral agreement that indicated that the league and other members wouldn't oppose any departure if the higher exit fee were agreed to.

Reaction Score
What a perffect accompianment for these poor University presidnets and chancellors as they attempt to mmake these decisions!

Tanks suzyq that john s song is good for every occasion :)

Reaction Score
BTW just heard on WFAN Missou has offer from SEC. Errs got turned down by both ACC and SEC.

Reaction Score

Maybe taking ND in addition to UConn would strike a good balance in FSU's mind. I still don't see ND giving up football independence but they have said if they did they prefer the ACC.

Reaction Score
Its certainly plausible. The ACC appears to have unity by the way events have played out so far. But once any association develops between more than one party, differences arise regarding what is the best course of action. Even one party occasionally struggles in defining its direction but it gets very complicated between two or more parties. FSU is the ACC member most in control of its destiny regarding sports. It has a very good viable option with the SEC if it doesn't like the way things are going in the ACC. None of the other ACC schools have this luxury. For better or worse they are married to one another. So FSU and any other ACC school that agrees with FSU's concept of a sixteen team conference is the driver of this conference currently. On the other hand Duke, North Carolina, Maryland and probably the Virginia schools are not going to roll over by any FSU proposal. So I wouldn't be surprise to see FSU going to the SEC and BE schools filling the gaps. The problem is are there three BE schools who qualify academically?

Reaction Score
"qualify academically"??? U mean along with NC State, Florida State, Clemson, Maryland, ... C'mon, the ACC is hardly the citadel of academics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom