OT: - Is Dak Prescott out for the season? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Is Dak Prescott out for the season?

Reaction Score
Exactly, people can try and spin it any way they want but Dak asked for fair value and the Cowboys knew they had no reason to negotiate in good faith because of the franchise tag
Zeke was staring at the same tag, at a different price of course(plays different position obviously), but said "nope" pay me or I'm out. They paid him. He's set now. Betting on yourself sounds cool, and sometimes pays off, but it also leaves you wide open for the unimaginable. That unimaginable just came knocking on Daks door unfortunately. Crazy QB money has been flying last few years. Matt Stafford is rolling in it for the love of pete. Dak gets to look forward to the "prove your healthy" short term deal now. Maybe it works out, maybe it doesn't. For every success story there is also a Daunte Culpepper story as a counter argument.

Reaction Score
Zeke was staring at the same tag, at a different price of course(plays different position obviously), but said "nope" pay me or I'm out. They paid him. He's set now. Betting on yourself sounds cool, and sometimes pays off, but it also leaves you wide open for the unimaginable. That unimaginable just came knocking on Daks door unfortunately. Crazy QB money has been flying last few years. Matt Stafford is rolling in it for the love of pete. Dak gets to look forward to the "prove your healthy" short term deal now. Maybe it works out, maybe it doesn't. For every success story there is also a Daunte Culpepper story as a counter argument.
I get where you're coming from, but I can't even remote agree. Jerry and the Cowboys were cheap and wouldn't pay Dak while simultaneously forcing him into 1 year deals. While yes it's technically allowed, doesn't make it incredibly slimy

Reaction Score
I get where you're coming from, but I can't even remote agree. Jerry and the Cowboys were cheap and wouldn't pay Dak while simultaneously forcing him into 1 year deals. While yes it's technically allowed, doesn't make it incredibly slimy
What do u think Zeke would have been forced into? Franchise tag 2 years in a row and then free agency when he was all used up. He knew this, he threatened to withold services, he got paid. I get all the differences between RBs and QBs but while Jones slow played it, paid everyone else, perhaps Dak should have used the only leverage he had. It's hindsight of course but every semi average QB in the league is making bank. I can think of one that even got benched today. This isnt baseball. One play can erase future earnings like burning the winning powerball ticket. Dak also could be kicking himself for not accepting a lucrative deal in the hopes of having a great year and squeezing ownership for even more cash. Cuts both ways and unfortunately, ownership has most of the power and leverage in negotiations due to what has been collectively bargained with the NFLPA.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Anyone saying Jerry Jones is happy today is nuts. It's really hard to find a good QB in this league, and the Cowboys lost theirs for at least the rest of the year, and there's no guarantee he comes back the same.

Reaction Score
I think you'll see the Cowboys sign Dak to a 2 year deal that's fair. Allow him to rehab in peace and come back to prove he can play at MVP caliber levels again. I also think you'll see Dalton get an extension seeing he's on a one year deal right now.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
He should have had signed for the $35 million/year and guaranteed money...got too greedy
I was thinking the same (that he should have taken the contract, not necessarily that he was greedy...he just thought he could do better)

Reaction Score
The cowboys offered him 35m/yr he wanted 40m/yr how is that not close. Reports are they were very close to signing a deal (yearly money wise) but the cowboys wanted a longer deal and Dak only wanted a 3-4 year deal cause he wanted to get another larger deal after the tv contract got negotiated

Reaction Score
Now everyone gets to see what Andy Dalton can do with talent around him.
The cowboys line sucks. Lost 2 of their best lineman for the year. It's arguably worse than the line he struggled with in Cincinnati

Reaction Score
The only good story out of this terrible incident is that Dak got his contract executed. This is an example why athletes need to protect their future earnings because it can all go in an instant. I will never again complain about athletes being overpaid (especially NFL'ers), if they can get serious bag then the overpayment issue is on the owner, not the player. Good for them (player) will be my reply.

On another note Alex Smith completed his first pass yesterday after years out of the league for a gruesome leg injury. That pass completion earned him Comeback Player of the Year!

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Daks season as well as my fantasy teams season are now over.
When I saw the replay of Daks injury the first thing I thought about was your fantasy team. I'm sending positive thoughts to you and your team.

Reaction Score
Yup, and there's still multiple people in this thread calling him greedy for wanting to get paid...

He was being greedy not taking 35 million a year guaranteed. Also he's in a no state income tax state. Football is brutal, injuries are frequent. Take the huge money and go. He makes great money off the field too.
He gambled and lost (so far).
He is still much wealthier than I ever will be from his salary this year alone. He'll be alright and set for life unless he does stupid like too many athletes are.

Reaction Score
The only good story out of this terrible incident is that Dak got his contract executed. This is an example why athletes need to protect their future earnings because it can all go in an instant. I will never again complain about athletes being overpaid (especially NFL'ers), if they can get serious bag then the overpayment issue is on the owner, not the player. Good for them (player) will be my reply.

On another note Alex Smith completed his first pass yesterday after years out of the league for a gruesome leg injury. That pass completion earned him Comeback Player of the Year!
Alex Smith is the feel-good story of the NFL this year. I watched the ESPN special on Alex and I am surprised that he can walk let alone play in the NFL. Iron stones for sure.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
According to Romo it was just a cramp. He’ll be back for the next drive.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Horrific injury. Looked a lot like Gordon Hayward's. I suspect Dak is down for a year+, but we will see how he rehabs. Hoping for the best for him.

As for the contract stuff, he isn't and never was a top 5 QB in this league, maybe top 10 but even that is questionable. He overrated himself and should have taken the long term deal with Dallas.

Reaction Score
Exactly, people can try and spin it any way they want but Dak asked for fair value and the Cowboys knew they had no reason to negotiate in good faith because of the franchise tag

Really bad take (all 3 of your's in this thread are). There were absolutely negotiations with the main issue being the length of the contract. Dak wanted 3 years so he could hit the open market again at ~30 years old while the Cowboys wanted 6 or 7 as they do all of their extensions this way. Allows them to spread the bonus cap hit out more and allows for accelerating base bay as bonus. Bottom line it gives the team a lot more flexibility with the cap.

I can't remember if it was Jerry or his son who said it but when they "save" money on a contract it doesn't go into their pocket. It's spent on other players. There are teams that need the "savings" from their cap, the Raiders trading Mack rather than extending him b/c they couldn't come up with the bonus come to mind. That's not even remotely the Cowboys situation.

Reaction Score
Maybe I was a little harsh on Dallas and their negotiating, but the franchise tag system is broken especially for QBs. Sure Dak could have taken Dallas' offer and been rich, but it was a below market value offer. Dak bet on himself and lost, but I just don't like how long teams can control their QBs and hold the leverage of 1 year deals over them.

Reaction Score
The cowboys offered him 35m/yr he wanted 40m/yr how is that not close. Reports are they were very close to signing a deal (yearly money wise) but the cowboys wanted a longer deal and Dak only wanted a 3-4 year deal cause he wanted to get another larger deal after the tv contract got negotiated
Yeah that's fair, saying they weren't close wasn't really accurate. It just sucks the way teams hold all the leverage over QBs and can realistically franchise tag them 3 times unlike other positions where it gets expensive after 1 year to do it

Reaction Score
Maybe I was a little harsh on Dallas and their negotiating, but the franchise tag system is broken especially for QBs. Sure Dak could have taken Dallas' offer and been rich, but it was a below market value offer. Dak bet on himself and lost, but I just don't like how long teams can control their QBs and hold the leverage of 1 year deals over them.
have to think that the franchise tag system will have to be dramatically changed. Can't imagine any big time player playing under one after this

Reaction Score
Yeah that's fair, saying they weren't close wasn't really accurate. It just sucks the way teams hold all the leverage over QBs and can realistically franchise tag them 3 times unlike other positions where it gets expensive after 1 year to do it
worked out ok for Kirk Cousins....when they get franchided 3x, they get additional increases. Dak took a risk by not signing for 35M /year and that's why it's called a risk

Reaction Score

The reported final offer was b/n $33-$35M per with over $100M guaranteed. That is not in any way below market. Most people who were casual observers thought it was way too much.

Reaction Score
No one knows exactly what the numbers were of the contract negotiations but if he was offered Wentz/Wilson money $35 million a year, makes $10+ million off the field for Dallas qb , no income state tax plus you’re set after football in tv bc you were a Cowboy would be dumb not to sign. No one talks OBJ anymore bc he’s in Cleveland.

Reaction Score
The reported final offer was b/n $33-$35M per with over $100M guaranteed. That is not in any way below market. Most people who were casual observers thought it was way too much.
Deshaun Watson got $40M a year with $111M guaranteed, so to me that is below market. Can definitely argue whether he deserved it or not, but when a QB gets an extension you usually have to top the previous one (except Mahomes now because he's Mahomes)

Reaction Score
Deshaun Watson got $40M a year with $111M guaranteed, so to me that is below market. Can definitely argue whether he deserved it or not, but when a QB gets an extension you usually have to top the previous one (except Mahomes now because he's Mahomes)

Except that Watson just got that extension in September. It's wasn't there in March when the deadline existed with Prescott. Prescott's reported final offer was similar to what Wilson got (with a Super Bowl under his belt).

The Cowboys should have extended him the prior year similar to the Watson timing but that's another story.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom