Is Courtney Vandersloot the Greatest Point Guard of All Time? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is Courtney Vandersloot the Greatest Point Guard of All Time?

Reaction Score
With your reasoning, I'll also say; Assists it's close: 5.6 for Sue versus 6.2 for V. You asked a question I answered, No Vandersloot is not the greatest point guard of all time.

...and besides, I would think Ticha Penicheiro would also have something to say regarding this topic.

That's a point. I would also point out that the past three seasons, Vandersloot has recorded season assists per game marks of 8.1, 8.6, and 9.1. If I'm not mistaken, each of those was a WNBA record. I can't find any WNBA player who has achieved those marks.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Refresh my memory, how many Olympic teams has Vandersloot been part of?

Come on now, she had no chance of making any Olympic teams w/ Bird and Whalen firmly entrenched throughout her entire career.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Boy, this thread will be seen in a new light. :eek::eek::eek::oops::oops::oops:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Whalen made her first USA Basketball WNT when she was 28 years old. Courtney Vandersloot chose to become a Hungarian citizen when she was 28 years old. Might Sloot have been in Tenerife last year had she not chosen Hungary (for financial reasons)? I guess we’ll never know.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Are Olympic gold medals better than WNBA Championships in this discussion? Just curious. Olympic golds would favor Bird, but WNBA Championships are in Whalen's favor.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sloot made a nice play on defense late today and then made a really bad decision that set up incredible heroics by Dearica Hamby. Sloot had Stef open in the middle of the floor and tried to thread the pass down the crowded sidelines.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Are Olympic gold medals better than WNBA Championships in this discussion? Just curious. Olympic golds would favor Bird, but WNBA Championships are in Whalen's favor.
I believe the count is 4-3 in favor of Whalen. Lauren Jackson kept getting hurt, whereas Maya Moore did not.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Sue's accomplishments.

Last edited:

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Sue's accomplishments

Apparently that's all invalidated by Sue's 0.1 WNBA block per game average so.....

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Clearly Bird has accomplished more throughout her career than Vandersloot has. Just as clearly, Sue has had more overall talent around her during her career than Courtney has. Make of that whatever you will.

Just out of curiosity I took a look at turnovers for comparison. Seems like Sloot has a reputation of being more of a gambler and a bit careless with her passes. Stats are a bit surprising. Sue averages 2.5 TO/game during her career to Sloot's 2.7/game. I'd say that's pretty negligible.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
This thread is so depressing. Only one person here actually believes the answer to the thread's titular question could possibly be yes.

So it just serves as an opportunity for people to be negative about a great player.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
No, too many careless passes.

Seriously, look at the post directly above yours. Sloot has averaged 0.2 more TOs per game over her career than Bird has. All of those alleged careless passes have led to about the same number of TOs as Sue. So......

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sue's accomplishments

That's a very nice mix of individual AND team accomplishments. The 11 All-Star selections are a record. Sloot has 2.

In addition, Sue is the most decorated player in USA Basketball and FIBA history. (Her lanky teammate in Seattle is on pace to match or surpass Sue's FIBA totals, but she is more than a decade behind.)

That last item--freaking Bronze medal--still motivates Sue. Sue does not like Bronze!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom