Is Courtney Vandersloot the Greatest Point Guard of All Time? | The Boneyard

Is Courtney Vandersloot the Greatest Point Guard of All Time?

Reaction Score
She is already ranked 6th in total assists, and first in assists per game. She's recorded 6.2 assists per game, compared with 5.6 by Sue Bird. She's getting better with age, having put up 9.1 assists/game this past season, her best ever. Indeed, each of the past three years, she's set a new personal record. She's about to move up from sixth all-time to fifth all-time, as she only 23 assists behind the great Becky Hammon.

Is she better than Sue Bird was? I know it sounds like heresy to pose the question. But the numbers she's been putting up are astounding. Is she that good?

Reaction Score
Only if Ticha Penicheiro is the second greatest PG in WBB history.

Reaction Score
Not yet, let her play a few more seasons. Right now she only has the assists, what about the rest of the stats between these 3 players?

This question reminds me of what we just went through with the ROY award. One was a volume shooter with best pts/gm while other was a stat stuffer machine.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm surprised this is even a discussion. Sue has won NC's (2) in college, pro titles in the US (3) and Europe, and not only has 4 Olympic gold medals, but also numerous (4) World Championship titles. She's the greatest PG of all time, and it's not even close. If Vandersloot played 20 more years, no way does she come close to achieving what Sue has.

Having said that, Courtnely is having a terrific pro career. She deserves every accolade she earns, but there's no comparison to what Sue has accomplished.

Reaction Score
Not yet, let her play a few more seasons. Right now she only has the assists, what about the rest of the stats between these 3 players?

This question reminds me of what we just went through with the ROY award. One was a volume shooter with best pts/gm while other was a stat stuffer machine.

View attachment 46348

So regarding the other metrics, Sue scored just over 12 ppg, while Vandersloot is just under 10.

Steals it's close: 1.2 for V versus 1.3 for Sue.

Rebounds: 3.1 V versus 2.6 for Sue.

Blocks: 0.4 per game for V versus 0.1 for Sue

So on the other metrics the two appear pretty close.

Back to assists, Vandersloot has registered higher assists/game each of the past three seasons than Sue did in any year her career.

Reaction Score

View attachment 46348

Vandersloot has put in 11 pro seasons. Not as if she's a rookie or sophomore who might be considered a flash in the pan. And unlike the ROY debate, the other measures are very close. Too bad that Vandersloot didn't go to an established team in college, so didn't have the talent around her.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
:rolleyes: Yeah, I wouldn't expect that to get any traction here. Certainly Sloot has not gotten enough recognition or accolades as she deserves. I think this year finally it's starting to change somewhat.

Is it? Or does the championship metric have more to do with the players that happen to be put around the point guard?

That's a good point. Certainly Bird has made her teams better, but she's also been surrounded by a lot of talent throughout her career. Much more than Sloot by comparison. If Bird played at Gonzaga in college and with the Sky her entire WNBA career, she would have a lot less Championships.

Maybe a better question would be--is Vandersloot the best passer of all time? Bird obviously has the career numbers but has been playing professionally for almost twice as long--16 seasons compared to 9. Somebody above said 11 years for Sloot but that's not what I'm seeing.

Reaction Score
:rolleyes: Yeah, I wouldn't expect that to get any traction here. Certainly Sloot has not gotten enough recognition or accolades as she deserves. I think this year finally it's starting to change somewhat.

That's a good point. Certainly Bird has made her teams better, but she's also been surrounded by a lot of talent throughout her career. Much more than Sloot by comparison. If Bird played at Gonzaga in college and with the Sky her entire WNBA career, she would have a lot less Championships.

Maybe a better question would be--is Vandersloot the best passer of all time? Bird obviously has the career numbers but has been playing professionally for almost twice as long--16 seasons compared to 9. Somebody above said 11 years for Sloot but that's not what I'm seeing.

You are correct. Bad miss: 9 years, not 11.

But if Vandersloot leads Sue in not only assists per game, but rebounds, steals, and blocks, and is just 2 ppg behind in scoring, I mean, is it Husky loyalty talking? The numbers- except for championships- are going toward Vandersloot. And Gonzaga might as well be western Mongolia in terms of championships.

I'm as big a fan of UConn as anyone, but just wonder whether V and Sue might be closer than we emotionally want to admit.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
She’s definitely has a huge trajectory towards that title with plenty of time to achieve it if she wants.

I saw something in the last couple of weeks indicating Sloot was ranked somewhere in the 60's coming out of high school. That IS quite a trajectory.

Reaction Score
So regarding the other metrics, Sue scored just over 12 ppg, while Vandersloot is just under 10.

Steals it's close: 1.2 for V versus 1.3 for Sue.

Rebounds: 3.1 V versus 2.6 for Sue.

Blocks: 0.4 per game for V versus 0.1 for Sue

So on the other metrics the two appear pretty close.

Back to assists, Vandersloot has registered higher assists/game each of the past three seasons than Sue did in any year her career.

With your reasoning, I'll also say; Assists it's close: 5.6 for Sue versus 6.2 for V. You asked a question I answered, No Vandersloot is not the greatest point guard of all time.

...and besides, I would think Ticha Penicheiro would also have something to say regarding this topic.

Last edited:

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I remember when Sloot was a junior in college and I mentioned on the forum, in some topic, that Sloot was the best pg in college at the time. Many of the Boneyarders never heard of her.
Is she the best of all time, not yet, and I don't think when she retires she will be, but she is a great player to watch or play with.

Reaction Score
She is already ranked 6th in total assists, and first in assists per game. She's recorded 6.2 assists per game, compared with 5.6 by Sue Bird. She's getting better with age, having put up 9.1 assists/game this past season, her best ever. Indeed, each of the past three years, she's set a new personal record. She's about to move up from sixth all-time to fifth all-time, as she only 23 assists behind the great Becky Hammon.

Is she better than Sue Bird was? I know it sounds like heresy to pose the question. But the numbers she's been putting up are astounding. Is she that good?
This Uconn's hone site. Expect push back. For most Uconn fans there is ONLY ONE PG--Sue Bird.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom