Is Cobb hurt? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is Cobb hurt?

Reaction Score
I’m not saying playing cobb wud of mattered enough for us to win but I can’t for the life of me understand why hurley is not playing him as our season slips away. This was a near must win situation. I understand trying to send a message but what cud Cobb have done in practice that was so bad after he already got “benched” for Drexel game? I don’t get it. He knows we are short big men. Carlton is a ghost in big games and yakwe is doing his best but he’s just a better version of DW. We have nothing else. Smh

Reaction Score
Hurley has said on multiple occssions that game playing time is earned in practice. He’s not playimg so one can only assume he is bot practicing at the level he needs to.

Reaction Score
Cobb obviously pissed off Hurley in some way, and I feel like Hurley is playing the whole "building a culture" card at the expense of this year's team. This was probably the one game that Hurley should have dialed back and said that we need a W more than he needed to set his example. It irritates the hell out of me. Bench Cobb vs ECU or Tulane, not one of the games that matters the most for our fan-base and post-season hopes.

For those who disagree, I don't give a F. It's my opinion as a lifelong fan.

Reaction Score
I understand 100% but cobb has played extremely well in these big ooc games. He must be a complete slug in practice Fir him to get benched with our huge need for big a big man down low. So weird because I was at Tuesdays Game and Cobb was cheering up a storm on sidelines. Didn’t seem bitter or upset at all. Not trying to be dramatic, but team does seem like it’s regressing. Lot of weird dynamics developing. Jalen, Cobb, etc.

Reaction Score
My post was in response to jaybird 65. I agree wholeheartedly with the above post and not trying to send a message to cobb in this nova game. This was the one game that trumps culture. Bench him against ecu or USF. Not nova in garden in a must win game, national tv, recruits watching and fan base showing up to garden in droves to watch uconn show up and compete. Any other Game this year I’m with hurley. But not this one.

Reaction Score
I don't like benching Cobb in big games really but honestly we are not a legit tourney team. Hurley sees this season establishing a culture with the players that will contribute next year.....which are honestly probably just AG, CV, Sid, Polley, Carlton, B Adams. If they learn & play well the rest of the year then maybe we have a chance to be good next year with the new blood coming in.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
In the mean time Alterique is learning to play like Jalen and CV

Reaction Score
Addressed @ 8:35

Answer seems to be: Matchup / Yakwe’s superior practice effort (not necessarily implying Cobb showed weak effort)

Reaction Score

Answer seems to be: Matchup / Yakwe’s superior practice effort (not necessarily implying Cobb showed weak effort)

If thats it, then Hurley should be benched the next game for his performance. Carlton and Polley were 6 & 3 over 44 mins. Give the guy a freakin chance. Just horrendous coaching.

Cobb won us Syracuse and kept us in Arizona. Most other games he's seen less than 10 mins. He was the revelation of the frontcourt, our only chance, and then you don't even put him in the biggest game of the season? I'm verklempt. What is Hurley's major malfunction?

After watching tape of Cuse, Iowa and Arizona, Jay Wright is probably laughing right now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Let’s be honest here we don’t know the full story no matter what he just said. Something happened for him to not get off the bench at all considering his ability to score the ball on occasion. He’s a defensive liability especially against smaller quicker guys but if he’s been a good boy he’d see minutes. We don’t know and it’s staying in house it would seem.

Reaction Score

This is infuriating. Cobb singlehandedly kept us in the Arizona game in the first half and after some defensive lapses has been completely in the doghouse. I get the idea of rewarding guys for practice effort but this is getting all too similar to KO playing Onourah way too many minutes at the expense of in game results. As a wise man once said, we’re talking about practice.

Reaction Score
Let’s be honest here we don’t know the full story no matter what he just said. Something happened for him to not get off the bench at all considering his ability to score the ball on occasion. He’s a defensive liability especially against smaller quicker guys but if he’s been a good boy he’d see minutes. We don’t know and it’s staying in house it would seem.

Ollie couldn't even mismanage an already disadvantaged front court this bad. Polley had 0 rebounds in 32 mins. And he's not even average at defense and is a statue on offense. I can't recall ever being this mad after a UConn game ever. I usually only get this mad on the cesspool.

Reaction Score
We don't beat Syracuse without Eric Cobb. Arizona is a blowout without Cobb.

No idea what is going on here but if Yawke should be taking minutes from anyone it's Carlton. There is no excuse to play Josh based on his number vs the 5 good teams we played.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Everyone saying Hurley should have played Cobb sure... but watching the game it’s clear that Cobb would have been put in the pnr every possession also how is Cobb going to guard his man if he is bringing the ball up the court?

Reaction Score
Everyone saying Hurley should have played Cobb sure... but watching the game it’s clear that Cobb would have been put in the pnr every possession also how is Cobb going to guard his man if he is bringing the ball up the court?

As if anyone (other than Yakwe) did better. So lets not even give him a chance. If we had to let him dribble the ball up the court, it would still be worth it than playing the much inferior post players we have.

Jalen and CV had 9 rebounds. Polley and Carlton had 3.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
This is infuriating. Cobb singlehandedly kept us in the Arizona game in the first half and after some defensive lapses has been completely in the doghouse. I get the idea of rewarding guys for practice effort but this is getting all too similar to KO playing Onourah way too many minutes at the expense of in game results. As a wise man once said, we’re talking about practice.
To be fair. Playing Yakwe forced Nova to completely abandon their game plan of getting in the paint for high % looks. Unfortunately for us they started draining 3s after the adjustment. But I agree that Cobb should have gotten a chance. We were giving up a bunch of points anyway.

Reaction Score
Seems like there may be non basketball issues going on here although we have no idea what happens in practice.

Reaction Score
I agree that Hurley needs to be pressed a lot harder by The Horde as to what’s going on with Cobb. His offensive production is such a dramatic upgrade over any other bigs we have that there has to be something serious going on. He was suspended last year and doesn’t play now. What’s the real story Danny?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
As if anyone (other than Yakwe) did better. So lets not even give him a chance. If we had to let him dribble the ball up the court, it would still be worth it than playing the much inferior post players we have.

Jalen and CV had 9 rebounds. Polley and Carlton had 3.

This is also true, I’m sure things are going on outside of basketball and it was a horrible match up. The two aren’t mutually exclusive

Reaction Score
Hurley is faced with the difficult challenge of changing a toxic culture. He is doing this by example. Whatever the reason is for Cobb's benching, so be it. Sit him. This is more about the future than the present. This is more about sending a message to the team and coaches expectations than it is losing to Villanova by 6 less points.

Reaction Score
Hurley is faced with the difficult challenge of changing a toxic culture. He is doing this by example. Whatever the reason is for Cobb's benching, so be it. Sit him. This is more about the future than the present. This is more about sending a message to the team and coaches expectations than it is losing to Villanova by 6 less points.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. But why no questions from at the press conference? Why has no one come out with why our best offensive big is even barely getting walk on minutes? Its just confusing.

Reaction Score
My post was in response to jaybird 65. I agree wholeheartedly with the above post and not trying to send a message to cobb in this nova game. This was the one game that trumps culture. Bench him against ecu or USF. Not nova in garden in a must win game, national tv, recruits watching and fan base showing up to garden in droves to watch uconn show up and compete. Any other Game this year I’m with hurley. But not this one.

This board was absolutely crazy about getting Hurley as our new head coach as was I. We got him so we get who he is. He has never shown to compromise his principles. I too think Cobb should be on the court more during games, but Hurley does not pick & choose games too implement his principles.

Reaction Score
For the record, I like Hurley... I know he's trying to set the tone and re-make the culture for the team.
His comments on Cobb were disappointing though.

If you're not playing Cobb because of effort, attitude, or some other behavior, then say that and let that be the message.

Hurley saying its effort and bringing it every day, then suggesting he'd have a tough time with Villanova's bigs rings hollow. They were down almost 30. Cobb has had some big games and Uconn certainly needed some offense in the 2nd half. If nothing else, give the kid a shot, maybe create a wrinkle for Villanova to solve and in the meantime maybe his energy sparks the team. To my earlier point, if he wasn't going to play, then why even suggest or make comment of the possible matchup issues... What's Cobb's takeaway from this?

Calhoun had his styles that were debated here as well (ie the quick hook)... Hurley will establish himself and the culture he wants. They've proven successful. I do think Cobb has proven valuable at times and you'll need him to be engaged. Not playing him down 25+ because of mismatch issues seems off.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom