Is anyone else concerned with....... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Is anyone else concerned with.......

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
If you are trying to insult me, you'll need a number, even my friends are currently insulting me and BOXING me in but --I'm sorry, I forgot to advise you of which part was the insult---Penultimate--Sir/Madam/other--I must advise you I am neither Pennult nor timate. I get annual shots to avoid that conditions or is it those conditions.

ROTFLMAO!!!

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Well, maybe Mercedes Russell ... come on...
Russell is a solid, if unspectacular, post player. She's averaging 17 and 9 and shooting 64% from the field. Her teammates stop giving her the ball in the 2nd half of games otherwise her stats would be better. She's good post defender, even though she doesn't block a lot of shots due to lack of athleticism and maybe because of her foot troubles of the past. I'm not a huge fan of hers, I believe Gustafsson is a much better player, but she's a better post player than Azura.....

Reaction Score
Russell is a solid, if unspectacular, post player. She's averaging 17 and 9 and shooting 64% from the field. Her teammates stop giving her the ball in the 2nd half of games otherwise her stats would be better. She's good post defender, even though she doesn't block a lot of shots due to lack of athleticism and maybe because of her foot troubles of the past. I'm not a huge fan of hers, I believe Gustafsson is a much better player, but she's a better post player than Azura.....

I like Russell and Nared---Obviously Russell is a better POST player than Azura who isn't a post--but stuck with trying to defend that position. Uconn FYI has no one that is a post unless you add a bench player Batouly, she is as close as they come at Uconn. Playing pretty good without a post aren't they.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
If you are trying to insult me, you'll need a number, even my friends are currently insulting me and BOXING me in but --I'm sorry, I forgot to advise you of which part was the insult---Penultimate--Sir/Madam/other--I must advise you I am neither Pennult nor timate. I get annual shots to avoid that conditions or is it those conditions.

It was an honest compliment. I put you in a class, second to, one of the world's great writers, based on your style. Or, did I miss a sly joke?

Reaction Score
You seem to have fallen into the same trap that everyone else does about Azura Stevens since she was in HS. Just because she's 6'6" everyone expects her to be a dominant post player, well she isn't and she never has been. Playing in the post isn't her game, she's a Wing and her game is more similar to KLS than Stef Dolson. She can post up smaller players and dominate them in the post but as you witnessed last night she doesn't defend the post well at all and most of her blocks are the result of weak-side help D or smaller players challenging her length with the dribble drive. If you're looking for her to defend the likes of Kalani Brown, Tiera McCowan, Megan Gustafsson, or Mercedes Russell, you'll be disappointed.
I think this is where I'm at with regards to my expectations for her college career. She's been in the college game for nearly four seasons now. She is what she is at this point.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Your right. She is the reason we beat ND.
Geno did tell me a few weeks ago he's planning and fully expects her to stay.

Next to the announcements that we got the two recruits we wanted, this is the best news I've heard all season. I'm smiling.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
UConn doesn't beat Notre Dame or Texas without Azura Stevens. But sure, she got some quick fouls last night and that was that. It happens.

Maybe she'll leave for the WNBA and fans here can be disappointed with her play in the WNBA. I hope she does.
I sure hope she does not leave early. And for some of the same reasons you mentioned in the first sentence.

Reaction Score
Next to the announcements that we got the two recruits we wanted, this is the best news I've heard all season. I'm smiling.

That is right from the horses mouth scoopy.
He doesn't think she's ready for the day to day pounding and rigors of the WNBA. Also he said with the money not being crazy high and no injury concerns he expects her back.

Reaction Score
You misunderstand I'm just fine with her. I was wondering what fellow boneyarders thought now 3/4 thru the season. My post was not intended to be I really critical it was just to see what others thought.

Your right. She is the reason we beat ND.
Geno did tell me a few weeks ago he's planning and fully expects her to stay.

OK JG, you have polled The Boneyard and spoken to Geno on this but Enquiring minds want to know....Have you discussed this with Justine??? :D

Reaction Score
Azura Stevens? Clearly Azura is very talented, but boneyarders were touting her as a can't miss all american. People on this very site were saying she was a lock starter, was going to dominate WCBB. You got the impression she may just be able to walk on water!! Is anyone else a bit disappointed in her minutes, production, contribution thus far? Again, clearly Azura is talented, can do so many things on the court(mostly on the offensive end) and IMHO was the main reason we won against ND at home earlier this year..

Concerned? Surprised?
More concerned about you use of the wacky tabcky

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
That is right from the horses mouth scoopy.
He doesn't think she's ready for the day to day pounding and rigors of the WNBA. Also he said with the money not being crazy high and no injury concerns he expects her back.

Music to my ears.

JS

Reaction Score
I meant no disrespect to the player, I was just posing a question that's been on my mind for awhile. After her game last night,her performance, etc I thought it was a good time to broach.
You needn't be as defensive as it seems you've had to be in this thread. I fail to see even a smidgen of disrespect in your post.

Hard to understand why those who just want to celebrate and be positive after a great victory can't carry on without getting all hung up over a few Boneyarders who aren't of the same inclination.

All kinds of people here. Live and let live.

Reaction Score
OK JG, you have polled The Boneyard and spoken to Geno on this but Enquiring minds want to know....Have you discussed this with Justine??? :D

I have not discussed Azuria Stevens with Justine yet, just Geno and my fellow friends on Boneyard.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm going to stay away from the contentiousness here and offer just a few thoughts.

Z is a very good player, but she is still a finesse player and not yet at the level Geno wants. She doesn't take full advantage of her height, nor is she a great defender. I think it shows Z and others that she has room to improve. I believe that she knows she can very much benefit from another year at UConn, being coached by Geno et al. and playing with Pheesa et al. I hope she stays and gets much closer to her potential. She is a great kid and overall is having fun, despite some criticism and frustration.

Last night's game was a tough situation. With a huge partisan crowd and the recent history of the Missouri game, the officials may have called the game more closely than otherwise. I also truly believe that A'ja Wilson gets the benefit of the doubt on many calls. To me, the only foul that UConn players were called for on Wilson in the first half that was merited was the one where she and Z had their arms tangled. I thought the others were bogus calls. (I should note that I saw 2 fouls called on S.C. that looked like phantom calls as well.) A'ja is the type of player who is difficult for Azura, and A'ja gets calls all the time. I'm not going to judge Z or Megan harshly for 4 fouls apiece last night. That was a unique situation.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
I like Russell and Nared---Obviously Russell is a better POST player than Azura who isn't a post--but stuck with trying to defend that position. Uconn FYI has no one that is a post unless you add a bench player Batouly, she is as close as they come at Uconn. Playing pretty good without a post aren't they.
Talk to me after the Baylor game!

Reaction Score
You seem to have fallen into the same trap that everyone else does about Azura Stevens since she was in HS. Just because she's 6'6" everyone expects her to be a dominant post player, well she isn't and she never has been. Playing in the post isn't her game, she's a Wing and her game is more similar to KLS than Stef Dolson. She can post up smaller players and dominate them in the post but as you witnessed last night she doesn't defend the post well at all and most of her blocks are the result of weak-side help D or smaller players challenging her length with the dribble drive. If you're looking for her to defend the likes of Kalani Brown, Tiera McCowan, Megan Gustafsson, or Mercedes Russell, you'll be disappointed.

Stevens is not a wing, she is a stretch 4! Just because she is not a great defender in the post doesn't mean she is a 3.

Reaction Score
So, am I disappointed? Yes, but probably not nearly as much as Z is herself. I feel sorry for her, but I'm still critical in her overall game from time to time. She has been unfairly hyped and as others have pointed out she is playing out of her natural position. She's doing the best she can under an extremely difficult situation. After all the pre-season hype (dating back to the entire last season), what might it have done to your psyche to not start?

Geno was touting her as a possible (or more like probable) NPOY for two consecutive years. Then, not only doesn't she start, she can't hit the broadside of a barn from outside, her defensive is definitely lacking, and she's prone to foul. She is a good rebounder, shot blocker, and her moves around the offensive basket are exceptional. It appears she can also be an outstanding passer. She's got many talents and should help us win a NC this year and next.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Remember CD last season and Stewie her first season. Look at their second seasons. A massive improvement. Z is being developed. Perhaps thinking a little to much instead of just letting it happen. It takes time to be developed. It takes time to make changes in your game to where they become reflexive. I remember was I was considering golf as a profession. I worked for a former tourning pro. I told him I wanted to go on tour just like he did. He played on tour for 9+ seasons. He said I would have to hit 500 balls a day, play 18-36 holes a day and maybe in 4 years I might make it. Thats what it took back in 1976. This gives you an idea on how long it can take for changes in your game to become reflexive. Now golf is alot harder then BB however you get the idea. Z has the skills. We all know that. She has the right coaches and we know that too. Now we need to be patient, and trust Z and her coaches and when she develops the skills the confidence will settle in and she will be a NPOY. Until then enjoy what shes doing, watch her improvement and dream what she will be in the near future. I only wish she had come to UConn as a freshman.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think Z has all the physical tools to be as good as Stewie. I do not think Stewie is intrinsically tougher than Z is. Z is willing and able to work inside. What Z is lacking imho is the incredible confidence Stewie had. It takes complete faith in your abilities to say she came to UConn to get 4 NC's. The main difference on the offensive side of the ball is that Stewie could hit shots in all three zones Inside, Mid range and 3 pt and she would move seamlessly across all three zones. Z is a great mover and once her confidence kicks in, I see the same potential on the offensive end. On the defensive end, Z is surely behind Stewie and probably will not be in Stewie's class in terms of shot blocking / intimidation but she will definitely get better. I also think it is hard to come off the bench since all your teammates are already humming and you are coming in cold. Starting in her senior year will definitely help.

Reaction Score
I think Z has all the physical tools to be as good as Stewie. I do not think Stewie is intrinsically tougher than Z is. Z is willing and able to work inside. What Z is lacking imho is the incredible confidence Stewie had. It takes complete faith in your abilities to say she came to UConn to get 4 NC's. The main difference on the offensive side of the ball is that Stewie could hit shots in all three zones Inside, Mid range and 3 pt and she would move seamlessly across all three zones. Z is a great mover and once her confidence kicks in, I see the same potential on the offensive end. On the defensive end, Z is surely behind Stewie and probably will not be in Stewie's class in terms of shot blocking / intimidation but she will definitely get better. I also think it is hard to come off the bench since all your teammates are already humming and you are coming in cold. Starting in her senior year will definitely help.

I'd say Stewie was a singular talent with all of the combined skills of a small/power forward in a 6'4" body...............Azura has some of those skills but is not nearly as fluid an athlete...........she is who she is and if she can develop to her highest potential she'll be a great player in her own right but not quite to Stewie's level..........

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom