Is anyone else concerned with....... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is anyone else concerned with.......

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Wow did this thread get bifurcated fast! I think what JG asked was fair and not critical. Z did not have a great game last night, neither did Meg. However, they also didn't need to have a great game as others were carrying the load long before either came in the game. They had their moments where they did what they were supposed to do. Scoring, as Geno says, it not the sole criteria.

All that said, Geno and many, many BYers were, as JG noted, touting Z for being a starter, being a lock AA and even under consideration as our foremost POY this year. So along those hyped expectations, asking where is that player is sort of fair.

I think Geno overhyped Z's overall skills in the fall, maybe to motivate the others or maybe because he is clouding what potential she has vs. where her development really is. All that said, just because she is not exhibiting this POY skill every second of every game does not mean we are "half full" people. We do wonder where is the consistency that our POY's have exhibitied starting with Bird, DT, Maya, Tina and Stewie. We are seeing more evolution and consistency out of KLS this year who is our leading POY candidate. Gabby is the leading DPOY so when compared to these two unbelievable talents, yes, Z looks a tad behind. That should not be inferred she is not good, nor not living up to her potential.

I also think Z knew she had areas to work on and knew that to get there she needed UConn. I am pretty confident that Z will not leave at the end of the year.

If she strings along 3 games like this, then our glass half full concerns would be warranted...until then let's watch and enjoy.

Reaction Score
The answer is no, but I think I understand why. We have become Geno, after listening to him so much. We don't focus on beating the defending champs, in their house, by 25 points. Rather, we assess who did what well and who did what poorly. Winning is nice but, in a way, secondary. Geno is like an artist, sculpting this team, for one purpose; to win the NCAA championship. To do that, some elements of the sculpture have to be re-done, rebuilt, criticized, modified and improved.

So we ( I ) do the same. I don't like the shot of Coombs ( sort of a two handed....almost underhand... flick at the basket ), because I don't think her eyes line up with the basket and the ball. I think it will never go in ( so far, it hasn't). So I comment on it. I want her to be a star. She can't be a star if her outside shot never has a chance. I want Meg walker to become Maya Moore. Okay, I'll take Meg Walker being Meg Walker. But she isn't there yet. So I comment. Geno has made us impatient and greedy.

You are right. We should be thrilled with yesterday's win. And, largely, we are. But Geno complains when things aren't as good as they should/could be, and we have learned from him.

It is all his fault. But at least I understand now, why we do it.

This was one of the most insightful posts I've read in awhile. Strangely enough I get the logic. I mean clearly I loved last nights game and enjoyed beating the champs in there house. But I do think it's ok to pose questions like this, like Geno would do. Good call.

Reaction Score
UConn doesn't beat Notre Dame or Texas without Azura Stevens. But sure, she got some quick fouls last night and that was that. It happens.

Maybe she'll leave for the WNBA and fans here can be disappointed with her play in the WNBA. I hope she does.

Your right. She is the reason we beat ND.
Geno did tell me a few weeks ago he's planning and fully expects her to stay.

Reaction Score
Azura Stevens? Clearly Azura is very talented, but boneyarders were touting her as a can't miss all american. People on this very site were saying she was a lock starter, was going to dominate WCBB. You got the impression she may just be able to walk on water!! Is anyone else a bit disappointed in her minutes, production, contribution thus far? Again, clearly Azura is talented, can do so many things on the court(mostly on the offensive end) and IMHO was the main reason we won against ND at home earlier this year..

Concerned? Surprised?

I'd hardly call her a bust...........her statistics are awfully impressive when considering her minutes played........ she has vast potential which is starting to be realized but I'm not surprised to see her struggle a bit this season.............I expect an even more well rounded Azura to emerge in her senior season.............

Reaction Score
I don't think that is a good read of @JustinesGuy . He's merely upholding a great tradition of Husky Fans A/K/A Spoilt Husky Fans! We, like Geno, are always pushing and many, me included, thought Z would start this year and that did not happen. Z will get what she came for; to be a much more complete player. But we won't see all she can be until next year. She's a very talented 6th instrument in a world class 5 instrument ensemble right now. If we tailored the offense to her she'd average in the 30s a night, but last night would not have happened as it did, though we'd still win.

Z, by any definition, was not doing it last night, but I agree with you about where Z is headed. In the words of Jackie Gleason : "To the moon, Alice!"

Thank u. Your post is dead on. I meant no disrespect to the player, I was just posing a question that's been on my mind for awhile. After her game last night,her performance, etc I thought it was a good time to broach.

Reaction Score
It's hard to be concerned with a player that is leading the team in pts, rbs, blks, and fg % per minute played. She is simply just not getting the same minutes as the starters.

I think that's twisting stats a bit.

Reaction Score
I am mildly disappointed, but I think she will be all that we hoped her to be next year. What has caused us to pause, I think, is her inability to convert her outside shots. Yesterday, for example, she passed up several mid-range shots after she had "clanked" her early attempt at a three. You could see SC players give her space and try to double up on the other UCONN players. She makes some decent defensive plays and is working fearlessly under the hoop for rebounds. He uniqueness, however, rests in a combination of size ( length ), athleticism and shooting ability. He size is, clearly, not that of a " banger." She will be throttled by the "bigs" of Baylor, Miss. St. and A'jai Wilson. A quick hip check, and she is moved about ten feet. But if she can hit outside shots, then those " bigs" have to come out and cover, which opens everything up for UCONN. So far, she is not a threat and that is causing all of us to question what she might become. I think she is also taking a personal blow to her confidence. And you can't hit shots if you aren't confident.

I would also like to pose this same question about Meg Walker. We have seen flashes of the kind of potential that " the top HS recruit" should demonstrate. But not the same kind of flashes we saw with Maya, Katy Lou, MKL and others. I thought Meg played a very tentative game yesterday, and she was given plenty of court time. I think she got two quick "phantom " fouls called on her ( the announcers were never very good reporting them ), and that is why she sat down pretty early. Her shots, even when wide open, were way off. We had all hoped that this " big game" might be a break out opportunity. A chance to continue a solid string of games, which build trust from Geno and her teammates. In what I saw, this did not happen. Not even close. Has Geno commented? He may have been pleased for reasons I did not see.

I agree mostly---you too have trouble with KML MLK, etc as I have done often.
Geno is Geno and his guess is better than mine---still as a fan--voicing Opinions--
If the choice was mine : In the 3 or 4 th qtr I would have, after giving her specific instruction--sent Azura back into the game and let her foul out if that's what it took to give her confidence. Those quick fouls all but took her mentally out of the game.
It was nice to see Geno giving Coombs , Molly, Irwin, Gordon etc a couple of big game/TV minutes and as far as I would suggest-they did well.
Geno was a near perfect Geno in that game--loosey goosey in attitude and happily handling his team.
I know it's the game and how much pressure he is getting --but this is a great side of Geno to see.
I don't think Maya or KML had as real talent in 5 positions as this team so Walker may be a bit more intimidated--just a bit more deferring to her elders.

Reaction Score
Wow did this thread get bifurcated fast! I think what JG asked was fair and not critical.

Thank u. That's because people are quick to pounce. They don't just read the post for what it's intended to be. That's human nature and magnified on social media or boards like this.

Reaction Score
I doubt half of the Z and Megan's fouls last night are not valid.
There was one Lou not even touched the ball but the ref ruled the ball belonged to South Carolina.
When a player pick up fouls as quickly as Z did--like lighting fast---I didn't know she was in the game until she had her second foul--it gets into her head--how do I not foul--when I didn't foul. All but too ker effectively out of the game. Pretty much the same but not as quick fouls on Megan.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I admit it. Now I don't announce AA's nor did I tout Z as a potential candidate. I often stated that she is the one player Uconn needs to make it to number 11. I strongly still believe she is a necessary cog in Geno's wheel going forward. I also stated she and Collier were foul prone against real bigs. ,
This U South Carolina game gave me pause to rethink Azura. She has been up against Aj'a as a Dukie, if memory is correct she lost that game by a last second layin by Aj'a.
Her defense against that South team was missing some elements. Her shooting wasn't good. A lot was asked of her to be dumped into a game COLD and expected to perform immediately---a whole new role for her--she has mostly played loads of clean up; as a comparison--Walker in the similar situation, a frosh, did no better. As I said to Oldude: I expect starting today Azura will be getting intense training on everything needed to be a better defensive post and more practice in pressured offense.

You know Broadway, this whole un-indented paragraph thing would be so much more visually pleasing with a line space between them.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Azura Stevens? Clearly Azura is very talented, but boneyarders were touting her as a can't miss all american. People on this very site were saying she was a lock starter, was going to dominate WCBB. You got the impression she may just be able to walk on water!! Is anyone else a bit disappointed in her minutes, production, contribution thus far? Again, clearly Azura is talented, can do so many things on the court(mostly on the offensive end) and IMHO was the main reason we won against ND at home earlier this year..

Concerned? Surprised?

Not concerned at all

Reaction Score
Z will always be more a 3 tending to 4 than a 5 and for 2 years at Duke she was what? a 2/3? Z is very valuable and growing, but if you are expecting her to body up heavy bigs that ain't happening.

While I don't know a 3 from a 7, I do know snake eyes. Geno has his hands full on the defense end. She as you say will never be a true post. But for this and next year she needs to fake it big time. Her talent is amazing. She has shown the 3 ball and with in 6 ft and in with minimal pressure she accurate.
I've said often--that Azura, with the 5 , is the key to another NC--without her I don't like our chances

Reaction Score
You know Broadway, this whole un-indented paragraph thing would be so much more visually pleasing with a line space between them.
Sorry my box paragraphs, acceptable composition, offends you ---it's a tough life when your editor says no spacing between the box paragraphs and one you respect says , in so many words, it's offensive.
I appears to be a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.
However to make it more pleasing I could-------use the color one letter at a time approach --making it more visibly pretty.7 Nah, too much work and I gave up work because it's very nature is offensive.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score

Concerned? Surprised?
You seem to have fallen into the same trap that everyone else does about Azura Stevens since she was in HS. Just because she's 6'6" everyone expects her to be a dominant post player, well she isn't and she never has been. Playing in the post isn't her game, she's a Wing and her game is more similar to KLS than Stef Dolson. She can post up smaller players and dominate them in the post but as you witnessed last night she doesn't defend the post well at all and most of her blocks are the result of weak-side help D or smaller players challenging her length with the dribble drive. If you're looking for her to defend the likes of Kalani Brown, Tiera McCowan, Megan Gustafsson, or Mercedes Russell, you'll be disappointed.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Sorry my box paragraphs, acceptable composition, offends you ---it's a tough life when your editor says no spacing between the box paragraphs and one you respect says , in so many words, it's offensive.
I appears to be a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.
However to make it more pleasing I could-------use the color one letter at a time approach --making it more visibly pretty.7 Nah, too much work and I gave up work because it's very nature is offensive.

Crap! You're too lazy to hit the enter - that big boxy thing - between thoughts? I ask one little thing and you feel picked on! Sheesh!! double sheesh!!@! It's fun after a big win isn't it Broadway? OBTW, did you see the down south article that said UConn made the game look like another night in the AAC? I liked that a lot. :)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
You seem to have fallen into the same trap that everyone else does about Azura Stevens since she was in HS. Just because she's 6'6" everyone expects her to be a dominant post player, well she isn't and she never has been. Playing in the post isn't her game, she's a Wing and her game is more similar to KLS than Stef Dolson. She can post up smaller players and dominate them in the post but as you witnessed last night she doesn't defend the post well at all and most of her blocks are the result of weak-side help D or smaller players challenging her length with the dribble drive. If you're looking for her to defend the likes of Kalani Brown, Tiera McCowan, Megan Gustafsson, or Mercedes Russell, you'll be disappointed.

Well, maybe Mercedes Russell ... come on...

Reaction Score
Crap! You're too lazy to hit the enter - that big boxy thing - between thoughts? I ask one little thing and you feel picked on! Sheesh!! double sheesh!!@! It's fun after a big win isn't it Broadway? OBTW, did you see the down south article that said UConn made the game look like another night in the AAC? I liked that a lot. :)
Paragraph ONE
AS offended as I am--I didn't see that article--but just the title cause me to giggle. \

Paragraph 2
If you didn't like my box paragraphs, wait a second like the weather, it tends to change.

Paragraph 3
If I have to change paragraph via my change in thoughts I'd be in either of two circumstance:
1. They would be rotating by the second

or 2: With my one track mind, you determine the track, they may remain as they ;boxed in.

Paragraph 4

I am an often visitor to Walmarts and they demand to be---BIG BOX--box comes naturally

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Paragraph ONE
AS offended as I am--I didn't see that article--but just the title cause me to giggle. \

Paragraph 2
If you didn't like my box paragraphs, wait a second like the weather, it tends to change.

Paragraph 3
If I have to change paragraph via my change in thoughts I'd be in either of two circumstance:

or 2: With my one track mind, you determine the track, they may remain as they ;boxed in.

Paragraph 4

I am an often visitor to Walmarts and they demand to be---BIG BOX--box comes naturally

There is no doubt sir, that you are the penultimate stream of thought writer in the world. :D

Reaction Score
There is no doubt sir, that you are the penultimate stream of thought writer in the world. :D
If you are trying to insult me, you'll need a number, even my friends are currently insulting me and BOXING me in but --I'm sorry, I forgot to advise you of which part was the insult---Penultimate--Sir/Madam/other--I must advise you I am neither Pennult nor timate. I get annual shots to avoid that conditions or is it those conditions.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Paragraph ONE

Paragraph 2

Paragraph 3

Paragraph 4

Oh God, forget I ever asked!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom