Is Andre ready to take a bigger role? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is Andre ready to take a bigger role?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I want to see him attack the rim in the halfcourt. When we play zone he has to get the ball at the free throw line. We could have picked the nova zone to shreds

Reaction Score
When Andre, is on the floor he brings hustle, strong defense and athleticism. But, at this point, he is a liability as a ball handler, and outside shooter. As a freshman, I love what he brings to the table and he will develop into a star. I just contemplate the number of minutes he's getting as except in isolated flashes, Andre, Sanogo, Polley, Whalley, and Gaffney are inconsistent at best offensively. That's a lot of minutes for guys who struggle at the offensive end.

Reaction Score
It’s just being a realist man.. sanogo will be a force but expecting him to average 15-17 a game next year far fetched.. doesn’t mean I don’t like the kid it’s just being objective.. you honestly think he can do that? NEXT year?
people thought we was gonna play pro ball after 2 years, which i'm a realist about (he's not) but he's still gotta make a big sophomore leap lest he be labeled a disappointment

playing alongside whaley for long stretches has really shackled him and he's been way too foul prone but he should be on the floor for 30+ mpg next year so i can realistically see 15+ ppg. we're gonna need it

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When Andre, is on the floor he brings hustle, strong defense and athleticism. But, at this point, he is a liability as a ball handler, and outside shooter. As a freshman, I love what he brings to the table and he will develop into a star. I just contemplate the number of minutes he's getting as except in isolated flashes, Andre, Sanogo, Polley, Whalley, and Gaffney are inconsistent at best offensively. That's a lot of minutes for guys who struggle at the offensive end.

This^^

I was watching the Michigan/Ohio ST game yesterday and was impressed with the guys they both have on the court, can all score if they need to. Various shooters, not just one like we have on occasion. Multiple guys who can create off the dribble, we need our team to get there to be a national player again. Too many lineups we throw out there are weak scoring the ball.

Reaction Score
I really am trying to see what others see, and I am too lazy to look up whatever metric would either prove or disprove this, but...
I think Jackson has the size to be a versatile defender, and he does have serious ups (blocked a jumper against Nova), but people seem to blow by him pretty easily and he picks up silly fouls. As such, I would not say he is a good defender right now. Happy to be proven wrong.

Reaction Score
We have had incredible athletes who have been great basketball players and incredible athletes who ended their careers at mid major programs. Jackson is hard to evaluate because he lost so much time to injury. But until he actually makes shots I’m going to wait on calling him a great player. I mean he has passed up pretty wide open shots an awful lot. Even bigs who have no outside shot would take some of them if left that wide open. We’ll see.
I agree totally with this. Sometimes when kids are athletic enough to do things that stand out and jump off the page, that player becomes a potential superstar in the minds of fans. I agree 100% with this post. The jury is still out on where this kid is heading. I've said it before, he has a very high ceiling, but sometimes those players never get out of the basement. He is scoring 1 hoop a game, and people are saying he will be a superstar and lottery pick next year. I think he can be a very good player, but like freescooter, I need to see more.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
sideshow bob smoking GIF

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If Hawkins doesn't start from day 1 I will be very surprised but I do know one thing, he will turn many heads by the end of the season - nationally

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
They need to stop looking at Bouk as a savior and more as a contributing team mate.
Maybe that is being drilled into their heads?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
if you disagree then you actually dont like him as much as anyone...but if not sanogo than who? he and cole are the only two conceivable possibilities and we'll be a better team if sanogo is our leading scorer as opposed to cole. sanogo shoots at a high percentage whereas cole is a volume scorer
so, if he feels that Sanogo wont/should be the leading scorer means he can't like Sanogo as much as anyone?
That's convoluted
If Cole is the leading scorer then the team is in trouble and unless a big is totally dominant they usually aren't the main scorer - Hawkins, Cole, Martin, Sanogo and Andre all will get their points - if all of them average in double figure the team will be lethal.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure that this is the thread for this, but what is up with Gaffney? Every time he gets on the court it just looks like he's trying not to make a mistake instead of just being Jalen Gaffney. I thought after that 15 point game recently that it was one of the first times where he just went out there and played. I'm not sure I've seen that since. For as supportive of a coach as Hurley is during games, it's really odd to see somebody playing scared. Just go play.

I'm really okay with Cole on offense and his shot selection as he's one of the only players who actually looks to score every trip down the court. Outside of him and Bouk, who takes it to the rim on a consistent basis? Martin can for sure do it but to me it seems like he hasn't been as aggressive recently. Not sure it that's true or not, just going off what I remember.

It kinda felt like Gaffney's shot was starting to come around after starting off slow, but he just doesn't look to score. He's had some great passes off the pick and roll that I'm not sure anyone else on the roster can make. If Cole actually is better off the bench, it would really make the team better if Gaffney could assert himself and allow Cole to come off the bench.

Gaff has had some great finishes over the course of his first two years here, and he's shooting the 3 at a decent clip, so it seems he has the ability.

Reaction Score
so, if he feels that Sanogo wont/should be the leading scorer means he can't like Sanogo as much as anyone?
That's convoluted
If Cole is the leading scorer then the team is in trouble and unless a big is totally dominant they usually aren't the main scorer - Hawkins, Cole, Martin, Sanogo and Andre all will get their points - if all of them average in double figure the team will be lethal.
Yes, it seems pretty straightforward actually. If one person says he'll score 15 and one person says he'll score 10, the person saying 15 likes him more

Reaction Score
Isn't this about as meaningful as saying, "If they can hold opponents to 30 or less they will be really hard to beat"?

Reaction Score
If Hawkins doesn't start from day 1 I will be very surprised but I do know one thing, he will turn many heads by the end of the season - nationally
i think we have a clear top 5 next season and it doesnt include any freshmen: cole/aj/martin/akok/sanogo.

if hawkins ends up starting at some point next year the team will be all the better for it but who is he sending to the bench? no chance it's aj or sanogo. i doubt it would be seniors cole or martin. so right now it would have to be akok just based on him not being 100% and no one wants that to be the case

Last edited:
Reaction Score
i think we have a clear top 5 next season and it doesnt include any freshmen: cole/aj/martin/akok/sanogo.

if hawkins ends up starting at some point next year the team will be all the better for it but who is he sending to the bench? no chance it's aj or sanogo. i doubt it would be seniors cole or martin. right now it would have to be akok just based on him not being 100%
Isn't Martin a junior next year?

Reaction Score
When Andre, is on the floor he brings hustle, strong defense and athleticism. But, at this point, he is a liability as a ball handler, and outside shooter. As a freshman, I love what he brings to the table and he will develop into a star. I just contemplate the number of minutes he's getting as except in isolated flashes, Andre, Sanogo, Polley, Whalley, and Gaffney are inconsistent at best offensively. That's a lot of minutes for guys who struggle at the offensive end.a shooter
Liability as a shooter? Yes
Liability as a ball handler? No, I disagree

I think AJ is a fantastic ball handler considering his size and everything else he can do. He seems extremely comfortable with the ball in his hands unless he’s taking a 3.

Reaction Score
I think we could still have Martin for 2 more years after this, considering that this year doesn't count towards eligibility. But I think the final year would depend on what Martin wants to do and what direction DH wants to go.

Reaction Score

I think AJ is a fantastic ball handler considering his size and everything else he can do. He seems extremely comfortable with the ball in his hands unless he’s taking a 3.

The point is more that there’s a multitude of guys getting minutes that can’t/don’t/won’t score. That’s the issue.

Reaction Score
I disagree and the point is, he

The point is more that there’s a multitude of guys getting minutes that can’t/don’t/won’t score. That’s the issue.
Eh, I think he will look to score more next year with Bouk gone. And I think he is capable to do so. Agree to disagree

Reaction Score
Eh, I think he will look to score more next year with Bouk gone. And I think he is capable to do so. Agree to disagree
I agree with that, he lost a lot coming off the injury and with all the COVID delay. He should develop more with a real off season and a full season under his belt. Plus the weight training.

Reaction Score
Andre is shooting 14% from three. Small sample, only 14 shots.

He needs to find ways to get on scoreboard. Put backs, fouls shots, leak outs. If he can score just a little bit, he becomes much more valuable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom