Is Andre ready to take a bigger role? | The Boneyard

Is Andre ready to take a bigger role?

Reaction Score
I love this kid, and I'm both surprised and impressed at how he tries hard to make his teammates better. However, this team needs one more assertive offensive player. We can't just put it all on Bouk.

I'm hoping that Coach Hurley is going to give him a greenlight, and a nudge, to become a bigger part of the offense. We need another scorer and If not him, then who?

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I love this kid, and I'm both surprised and impressed at how he tries hard to make his teammates better. However, this team needs one more assertive offensive player. We can't just put it all on Bouk.

I'm hoping that Coach Hurley is going to give him a greenlight, and a nudge, to become a bigger part of the offense. We need another scorer and If not him, then who?
He is already taking a bigger role defensively but he needs a lot of work on that shot

Reaction Score
He can't be afraid to shoot as a spot up shooter. The kid shot 45% from 3 point range as a high school senior I believe.
That can be said about several players out there with Bouk. Yes, Bouknight is the #1 option on offense, but the offense needs to run and guys have to ready to shoot. Cole, Gaffney, Polley.. etc. have to be ready and willling to shoot, including Jackson.

Reaction Score
He is playing like a freshman. He passes up shots or attempts at making plays because he doesn't want to make a mistake. At least that is what it looks like to me. Most often times, he'll get past it where he lets the game flow and trust his instincts. And you can't teach the athleticism he has which is off the charts.

Reaction Score
Need him to be able to get to the lane off the dribble... haven’t really seen it yet.
definitely needs to be the next step in his evolution. then once guys start playing off him in order to take away the drive he has to start hitting the open jumper. at that point he'll be ready for the association but that's a lot to put together next season. imo both aj and sanogo are lookin like 3 year players which is good for us.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
sanogo. he should be our leading scorer next year at 15-17 ppg
I like sanogo as much as anyone but even his mama ain’t gunna agree with you with that take

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
We’re going to need Andre to be that guy next year and play his way into a lottery pick then look for Hawkins to do the same. We should be a 2 and done program for NBA talents.

Reaction Score
I like sanogo as much as anyone but even his mama ain’t gunna agree with you with that take
if you disagree then you actually dont like him as much as anyone...but if not sanogo than who? he and cole are the only two conceivable possibilities and we'll be a better team if sanogo is our leading scorer as opposed to cole. sanogo shoots at a high percentage whereas cole is a volume scorer

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He is playing like a freshman. He passes up shots or attempts at making plays because he doesn't want to make a mistake. At least that is what it looks like to me. Most often times, he'll get past it where he lets the game flow and trust his instincts. And you can't teach the athleticism he has which is off the charts.
IMO. AJ is very coachable and is actually listening to the coach by doing what he's been asked to do. Play good D-pass the ball and keep the offense moving-take the open shot if its there.

Does he have the green light to break down a defender and take them to the hoop as a freshman? He certainly has the talent but I think his apparent hesitation is more about trying to be a good teammate(and be coachable) rather than his confidence in being able to "put a move" on the defense.

You know AJ can make the necessary adjustments with the ball in his hands when making his move to the hoop with his court vision and passing skills if needed.

With winnable games on the horizon it would be very timely for the staff to encourage him to use his natural instincts and put pressure on the defense when the opportunities present themselves. Would provide additional offensive options for BET and the Tournament --not as a primary threat(Bouk/Martin) but as a secondary option.

Reaction Score
He passed up several open 3's

Reaction Score
Jackson is going to be a player. Next year I bet he breaks out. But, his defense, rebounding and energy are terrific. He is literally the past passer on the team. The shot is brutal. But that is the one skill that can be worked on with coaching.

Reaction Score
Still looks like everyone is playing around Bouk and looking for him as the only option...Bouk hits the floor more than any player Ive seen...needs to watch Rip and his pull up before he ruins his career

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Andre needs to learn to defend without reaching in. He has a few silly fouls every game, which is unfortunate because he also seems to get a clean block every game that gets called a foul. Just by staying on the floor for 25-30 minutes he's going to make us a better team.

Reaction Score
He can't be afraid to shoot as a spot up shooter. The kid shot 45% from 3 point range as a high school senior I believe.
That can be said about several players out there with Bouk. Yes, Bouknight is the #1 option on offense, but the offense needs to run and guys have to ready to shoot. Cole, Gaffney, Polley.. etc. have to be ready and willling to shoot, including Jackson.
Much to much deferring on offense, slows us down with too many useless passes to set up Cole or Bouk. We need more offensive balance, it will open up more if we do and not allow Teams to double or triple team Bouk. We pass up too many open shots.

Reaction Score
if you disagree then you actually dont like him as much as anyone...but if not sanogo than who? he and cole are the only two conceivable possibilities and we'll be a better team if sanogo is our leading scorer as opposed to cole. sanogo shoots at a high percentage whereas cole is a volume scorer
It’s just being a realist man.. sanogo will be a force but expecting him to average 15-17 a game next year far fetched.. doesn’t mean I don’t like the kid it’s just being objective.. you honestly think he can do that? NEXT year?

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Andre needs to learn to defend without reaching in. He has a few silly fouls every game, which is unfortunate because he also seems to get a clean block every game that gets called a foul. Just by staying on the floor for 25-30 minutes he's going to make us a better team.
Three of his fouls were on attempted blocks. Where are our bigs?

Reaction Score
We have had incredible athletes who have been great basketball players and incredible athletes who ended their careers at mid major programs. Jackson is hard to evaluate because he lost so much time to injury. But until he actually makes shots I’m going to wait on calling him a great player. I mean he has passed up pretty wide open shots an awful lot. Even bigs who have no outside shot would take some of them if left that wide open. We’ll see.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom