Is a hot dog considered a sandwich? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Is a hot dog considered a sandwich?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Here's how that usually played out in our house:

1371597317761.jpeg
F53B9CC2-D92B-4A61-9518-521E3D5DF9B0.jpeg

I’m not proud of it.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
View attachment 78632
I’m not proud of it.
Honestly, I'm proud of using bread instead of hot dog buns. I actually had "Smart Dogs" (plant-based) three times this week at work, including today, and used a slice of wheat bread instead of a hot dog bun each time because I am not buying grocery store hot dog buns.

The only grocery store-bought hot dog buns that aren't crap are the Martin's potato rolls. The rest are enriched garbage that goes stale quickly. I rarely eat real hot dogs at home; when we have a cookout, we get the hot dog buns from a local bakery (RIP French's in Stratford).

I am not proud of having the plant-based dogs (three times in a week no less), but I wanted to be a bit healthier this week and it had been several months since I had them. They hit the spot for a quick, healthy lunch, especially when I have bigger dinners ahead (e.g., pizza tonight).

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Had a ham, egg and cheese sandwich on toasted chiabatta this morning. Spot on good. I put the deli ham slices in the air fryer to dry it out some and give it some bite and texture.
Now I know why you love the work from home deal.

CL82

Reaction Score
I actually had "Smart Dogs" (plant-based) three times this week at work,
What brand? My wife is interested in working non-meat-based food into our diets. From what I’ve seen, like the impossible burger, non-meat-based doesn’t necessarily mean “healthy.“

Reaction Score
What brand? My wife is interested in working non-meat-based food into our diets. From what I’ve seen, like the impossible burger, non-meat-based doesn’t necessarily mean “healthy.“

Reaction Score
Hey...I had lobster dogs for the first time when I toured Maine last summer....they called them rolls.

CL82

Reaction Score
75BD54F3-DA7F-4737-8A47-74056E63AF49.png
E05F9F67-6A83-46D0-A6E6-CC82C039FCAA.jpeg

Thanks! Half the calories and a little bit better on the sodium. It’s not really a healthy choice as a staple but as an alternative it’s not bad.

Reaction Score
We do have them lobster dogs down heah...

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
i can respect arguments against beef consumption due to the water use thing. it takes more per pound than even nutjob almond farming, which is around 1 gallon per nut. i ain't doing it tho, cuz im more interested in staying healthy by a balanced consumption of beef, as we are evolutionary predisposed to eating meat (incisors! wouldn't be there iffn no flesh tearing was required. ya got ur molars to grind grass, cereal grains and such). life is aboot choices, and i choose to give my machine the stuff it' been hardwired for, over eons of time.
most of this plant based protein poison, relies heavily on soy.
highly arguable and debateable, soy is ruining men, biochemically.
it's no accident that, since the 1960s, sperm counts in men have plummeted. inarguable. data an all that. the explosion in soy farming is easily explainable. it's really, really cheap protein to produce, and we feed it to pigs, and us, on epic levels. a while back, discussing this with someone, they said 'i use vegetable oil.' nice try, i sez. look closer cuz for good business reasons, they changed the labelling from 'soybean oil' to 'vegetable oil' since soy is a vegetable, and so it would not be untrue, as folks start to think harder on this soy thing.
toss in the now, this very moment, debate around certain pesticides
(a few hours ago) EPA atrazine ruling ignites farm-state backlash, taking no opinion on the subject other than the knowledge that it interacts with soy in very weird ways, and honest minds should have questions.
atrazine.
'There are many ways that atrazine effects our endocrine system, but the big concern for men is that Atrazine reduces luteinizing hormone.
Luteinizing hormone (LH) is released by the pituitary gland and ultimately stimulates a mans leydig cells which produce testosterone in the testes.
Long story short, when LH levels are low, so are your testosterone levels.'

i don't necessarily agree with all the stuff in here, but it is thought provoking
Atrazine: 7 Harmful Effects On Humans
soy.
'The active ingredient in soy, isoflavones, behaves like estrogen. Estrogen, erroneously connotated as a female-exclusive hormone, plays an important role is the male body’s hormone equilibrium (Thrane, Paulsen, Orcutt and Krieger 2016). However, elevated levels of estrogen stunts muscle development, lowers testosterone, increases cortisol levels, causes gynecomastia, decreases libido, and even reduces sperm production.
NEGATIVE EFFECTS OF SOY ON MEN | The Mas Clinic
i also don't necessarily agree with all the stuff in here, but it is thought provoking.

especially for males, soy is poison, and unfortunately, it is ghost included in soo many things today, including ur food from 'super fancy, and cheapo,' restaurants. check out their kitchens, 5 gal pails of soy oil all over that place, cuz it's inexpensive.
gee, 'manboobs' is such a 21st century thing. i wonder why?
no 'wondering' needed to understand the title on that half century old film.
Soylent Green. duh. it's business thing. logical, no?
sooooo, spray some atrazine on the soy crop, then head off to the dress shop. it's getting ugly. not blaming anyone, fert companies, farmers, eco-activists, the government, all of it, just interested in how it affects me.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Although beating out a hot dog is not the highest bar, these are undoubtedly healthy (as long as you are okay with soy). They are not going to make you think you are eating a hot dog, but they work for me in a pinch when I need a quick, healthy lunch or snack.

For burger substitutes, I really like the Beyond Meat brand, which absolutely could fool me. Not a huge caloric difference perhaps, but no cholesterol is definitely healthier for a lot of people who need to be concerned about that. I also really like their plant-based breakfast sausage links. Morningstar Farms also makes a good and healthy plant-based breakfast sausage link.

Not a meat substitute, but the Country Crock plant-based Avocado Butter is probably the best substitution we've made in recent years, for all purposes except cooking (i.e., when butter is an ingredient in a recipe).

And don't get me wrong: I still eat a few real hot dogs a year, and at least a half-dozen beef burgers. And turkey burgers at least twice a month (my wife makes great ones). And a handful of pork burgers, too.

As for the original question, I think we need to know by whom. Merriam-Webster may say yes, but no one I know refers to a hot dog (or a burger, or taco) as a sandwich. Look at menus where you eat. One local place puts sandwiches, hot dogs, burgers and wraps all in the "hand held" category, which works for me. But in common usage among people I hear speak, a hot dog is not considered a sandwich.

CL82

Reaction Score

Although beating out a hot dog is not the highest bar, these are undoubtedly healthy (as long as you are okay with soy). They are not going to make you think you are eating a hot dog, but they work for me in a pinch when I need a quick, healthy lunch or snack.

For burger substitutes, I really like the Beyond Meat brand, which absolutely could fool me. Not a huge caloric difference perhaps, but no cholesterol is definitely healthier for a lot of people who need to be concerned about that. I also really like their plant-based breakfast sausage links. Morningstar Farms also makes a good and healthy plant-based breakfast sausage link.

Not a meat substitute, but the Country Crock plant-based Avocado Butter is probably the best substitution we've made in recent years, for all purposes except cooking (i.e., when butter is an ingredient in a recipe).

And don't get me wrong: I still eat a few real hot dogs a year, and at least a half-dozen beef burgers. And turkey burgers at least twice a month (my wife makes great ones). And a handful of pork burgers, too.

As for the original question, I think we need to know by whom. Merriam-Webster may say yes, but no one I know refers to a hot dog (or a burger, or taco) as a sandwich. Look at menus where you eat. One local place puts sandwiches, hot dogs, burgers and wraps all in the "hand held" category, which works for me. But in common usage among people I hear speak, a hot dog is not considered a sandwich.
For what it’s worth, I think I’d rather just go all in on a meatless meal, rather than the processed veggie alternatives that are pretending to be meat. For instance, bowl of black bean soup and a salad works fine for me for dinner.

Like I said, the wife is thinking about it. Whether she pulls the trigger on it we will have to wait and see. It often takes her a while to warm up to a concept. I’m fine either way. To me working in one or two meatless meals a week works just from a variety perspective.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
For what it’s worth, I think I’d rather just go all in on a vegetable meal, rather than the processed veggie alternatives that are pretending to be meat. For instance, bowl of black bean soup and a salad works fine for me for dinner.

Like I said, the wife is thinking about it. Whether she pulls the trigger on it we will have to wait and see. It often takes her a while to warm up to a concept. I’m fine either way. To me working in one or two veggie meals a week works just from a variety perspective.
I was fully vegetarian for around two years in the early 90s and got used to a bunch of the substitutes then. There are much more and better available now, but I hear what you’re saying if you’ve never gotten accustomed to them before.

CL82

Reaction Score
I was fully vegetarian for around two years in the early 90s and got used to a bunch of the substitutes then. There are much more and better available now, but I hear what you’re saying if you’ve never gotten accustomed to them before.
Health reasons or morality reasons? I always wonder about that with people who are vegetarians. I guess a third option would be neither, just personal preference.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Health reasons or morality reasons? I always wonder about that with people who are vegetarians. I guess a third option would be neither, just personal preference.
Mostly health. I was also living in places with really good vegetarian options.

Then bacon found its way into a breakfast omelet one day and I never looked back.

Reaction Score
i can respect arguments against beef consumption due to the water use thing. it takes more per pound than even nutjob almond farming, which is around 1 gallon per nut. i ain't doing it tho, cuz im more interested in staying healthy by a balanced consumption of beef, as we are evolutionary predisposed to eating meat (incisors! wouldn't be there iffn no flesh tearing was required. ya got ur molars to grind grass, cereal grains and such). life is aboot choices, and i choose to give my machine the stuff it' been hardwired for, over eons of time.
most of this plant based protein poison, relies heavily on soy.
highly arguable and debateable, soy is ruining men, biochemically.
it's no accident that, since the 1960s, sperm counts in men have plummeted. inarguable. data an all that. the explosion in soy farming is easily explainable. it's really, really cheap protein to produce, and we feed it to pigs, and us, on epic levels. a while back, discussing this with someone, they said 'i use vegetable oil.' nice try, i sez. look closer cuz for good business reasons, they changed the labelling from 'soybean oil' to 'vegetable oil' since soy is a vegetable, and so it would not be untrue, as folks start to think harder on this soy thing.
toss in the now, this very moment, debate around certain pesticides
(a few hours ago) EPA atrazine ruling ignites farm-state backlash, taking no opinion on the subject other than the knowledge that it interacts with soy in very weird ways, and honest minds should have questions.
atrazine.
'There are many ways that atrazine effects our endocrine system, but the big concern for men is that Atrazine reduces luteinizing hormone.
Luteinizing hormone (LH) is released by the pituitary gland and ultimately stimulates a mans leydig cells which produce testosterone in the testes.
Long story short, when LH levels are low, so are your testosterone levels.'

i don't necessarily agree with all the stuff in here, but it is thought provoking
Atrazine: 7 Harmful Effects On Humans
soy.
'The active ingredient in soy, isoflavones, behaves like estrogen. Estrogen, erroneously connotated as a female-exclusive hormone, plays an important role is the male body’s hormone equilibrium (Thrane, Paulsen, Orcutt and Krieger 2016). However, elevated levels of estrogen stunts muscle development, lowers testosterone, increases cortisol levels, causes gynecomastia, decreases libido, and even reduces sperm production.
NEGATIVE EFFECTS OF SOY ON MEN | The Mas Clinic
i also don't necessarily agree with all the stuff in here, but it is thought provoking.

especially for males, soy is poison, and unfortunately, it is ghost included in soo many things today, including ur food from 'super fancy, and cheapo,' restaurants. check out their kitchens, 5 gal pails of soy oil all over that place, cuz it's inexpensive.
gee, 'manboobs' is such a 21st century thing. i wonder why?
no 'wondering' needed to understand the title on that half century old film.
Soylent Green. duh. it's business thing. logical, no?
sooooo, spray some atrazine on the soy crop, then head off to the dress shop. it's getting ugly. not blaming anyone, fert companies, farmers, eco-activists, the government, all of it, just interested in how it affects me.
I don't like soy for the simple reason that it upsets my stomach.

I look for it on the labels on salad dressings, and in the Japanese and Chinese restaurants, I look at the menu, and ask that it be cooked not with Teriyaki(soybeans), but with some other non-soy sauces and they do have them available, like brown sauce for example, or mushroom sauce.

You don't want soy? Then stick to quinoa or lentils and if prepackaged, find those without soy ingredients.

Yes, veggie burgers usually have soy in them, but if you buy them in a package, check out the ingredients. Maybe tempeh has soy, but I don't know.

Most menus have options for non-soy ingredients. If it says on the menu, teriyaki, just ask for another ingredient. Food can be cooked with avocado oil with its high heating point or the same with grapeseed oil.

If you don't trust vegetable oil, then ask specifically that it be cooked with olive oil.

Sounds like they wouldn't fool you if isoflavones was a listed ingredient.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom