Iowa vs. Iowa State | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Iowa vs. Iowa State

Reaction Score
Generally I'd agree with your point, but a few of those teammates looked pretty good tonight, and the Hawkeyes played decent defense.

Hawks did play decent defense in the 2nd half and ISU folded like a cheap suit. Gabby Marshall's defense on our PG was an unmentioned factor during the broadcast. Thought she really disrupted Ryan trying to get the team going in the 2nd half.

Had to chuckle, even as a Cyclone, at Clarks post game "Woo! That wasn't pretty!" I know as a Cyclone I am supposed to dislike her but she really is a good spokesperson for WBB and can see why she has the young gal following she does. It's just good for WBB in general.

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
Two quality teams both played rather poorly tonight. Luckily for Iowa, Iowa State played a little more poorly. I do think Iowa's recent string of tough non-conference opponents had them a bit more prepared for the level of competition tonight.

It's a shame Caitlin Clark didn't go somewhere that could put more than 1 good teammate around her.
Nah, Clark was making pretty awful decisions for the majority of the 1st half. Forcing a lot of things that weren't there and didn't trust her teammates enough. This was very different from the NC State game in which Clark was setting her teammates up for open looks (as well as being on fire herself), but no one else could make a damn shot until it was too late. To Clark's credit, she totally flipped a switch in the 2nd half tonight. Obviously it helped that her shot started falling, but she was also moving the ball more which opened everything up.

My impression after tonight was that Iowa State's Soares needs to work on her FT's a bit more (0-6 tonight) and her 3pt shot a bit less (2-5 tonight). But then I saw she was shooting 71% from the line coming into tonight so I guess it was just a verrry bad outing for her. Baffles my mind that a 6'6'' player attempted 5 threes but only 4 twos. Iowa's post defense is not good, and Czinano was even in foul trouble. Surprised ISU didn't attack the paint more like Kansas State did in making their successful fourth quarter comeback against Iowa.

I respect Joens's work ethic and she's a very nice college player, but watching her I just don't see WNBA potential. She'll be suffocated by WNBA defenses and would be a below average wing defender.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Good idea! I am sure Bluder would welcome Citron to the team.
Touche! I thought about the open-endedness of that comment a bit after I posted it, but credit to you for taking advantage of it! ;)
(Of course, Soni's not heading west on Route 80 and the fact is neither Clark or Verhulst are headed east to South Bend.)

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I respect Joens's work ethic and she's a very nice college player, but watching her I just don't see WNBA potential. She'll be suffocated by WNBA defenses and would be a below average wing defender.
I watched more than a few Aussie League games last year with Irish alums Lindsay Allen, Marina Mabrey and Jackie Young all playing down under last season. Joens reminds me of a few Australian players: hard-working, (pretty) good shooter (streaky) and good court presence. But not quite prime time. Agree with your analysis.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This question is for ISU fans who come to this board. What are the fans thoughts about post depth this year?

It seems like Coach Fennelly has dropped the Kane/Jordao combo entirely for Soares. I understand Jordao is coming back from being injured, but Kane played significant minutes last year and I thought she did a good job. The impression I got last night was that Coach Fennelly doesn't trust any of his posts with the exception of Soares based on the minutes distribution.

And there's a Canadian post I'm familiar with, Zingaro. Curious as to why she's not getting a shot. Maybe not during the Iowa game, but her minutes are minimal even in blow out non-conference games.

Reaction Score
This question is for ISU fans who come to this board. What are the fans thoughts about post depth this year?

It seems like Coach Fennelly has dropped the Kane/Jordao combo entirely for Soares. I understand Jordao is coming back from being injured, but Kane played significant minutes last year and I thought she did a good job. The impression I got last night was that Coach Fennelly doesn't trust any of his posts with the exception of Soares based on the minutes distribution.

And there's a Canadian post I'm familiar with, Zingaro. Curious as to why she's not getting a shot. Maybe not during the Iowa game, but her minutes are minimal even in blow out non-conference games.

Most ISU fans seem to always hate our posts and think we are only a top notch post away from being in the Final Four. They saw Soares as the 2nd coming of Brittney Griner. Our problems have never really stemmed from the post, we are a three shooting guard offense that plays passive defense and have been for 28 years. Our rotation of posts last year was serviceable, combined stats were decent. Post was not the issue when Creighton outed us from the tournament. Soares is certainly a shot blocking and shot impacting player we have not had before. She's got skills but playing versus this level is something entirely new. Against quality teams we've seen her have a terrific 1st half and than sort of disappear along with the rest of the team.

Coach Fennelly is all in or not with players, or so it seems. He has players he REALLY likes and they will play and start come hell or high water, or so it seems at times. Every year there seems to be someone on a crazy short leash and will get pulled immediately for any perceived mistake while gals with golden girl status play through mistakes. Kylie Feuerbach started almost every game as a freshman with underwhelming stats. She transferred to Iowa and was like 7th player last year (ACL this year). Rae Johnson, PG from a few years ago was always getting pulled. I was actually surprised she didn't transfer and was not at all surprised she passed up a 5th year along with fellow Minnesotan Kristen Scott.

Reaction Score
Year later and it's ISU/Iowa on ESPN2 6:00 again on Wednesday.

#4 Iowa will be favored by a bunch but it's a full house sellout** at Hilton so hopefully my gals don't get blown out. Everyone knows about Iowa but not this Cyclones team. They are way short on experience and depth. They have started three to four freshman. Team lost most their regulars starters to either graduation (Ashley Joens), transfer (Donarski, Fritz, Kane) or injury/medical (PG Ryan). Diew is the only returning player available with a start not counting transfer in post Isnelle Natabu. With senior PG out I've way tempered my expectations for the team. Was moderately optimistic that a senior PG might be able to glue the kids into an NCAA berth. They have done maybe better than expected without her but they have no true PG and are WAY thin with another post, Zingaro leaving the team.

For Big 12 outsiders, Cyclones to watch would be freshmen Addy Brown and Audi Crooks. Addy Brown has been as good as expected. Post Audi Crooks has looked better than I thought she would albeit against teams without much post presence. Fun matchups if Hawks Steulke is back will be Stuelke/Brown and Goodman versus Crooks. Kelsey Joens, another Joens sister at ISU, has looked better than her recruiting rank. Good defender, three point shooter and seems to have a nose for the ball and rebounds great for a lean looking guard.

** That Caitlin Clark effect. My hometown Gophers have also sold out the Iowa game. Gophers had 10,000 for the Paige Buecker "reunion" game but sold all 14,000 for Iowa.

Reaction Score
For all the chatter about other coaches and the hot seat, could Fennelly be considered one if the program struggles over the next few seasons? The team has seen a significant uptick in transfers the last few seasons.

And I wonder if the fanbase thinks the team underachieved with the rosters they've had. Or is he so beloved in Ames that he determines when it's time to retire?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I guess this is the last time we see Clark on a ESPN property until the NCAA tournament.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I guess this is the last time we see Clark on a ESPN property until the NCAA tournament.
If nothing in the regular season, ESPN usually shows at least the Big Ten tournament final.

Reaction Score
For all the chatter about other coaches and the hot seat, could Fennelly be considered one if the program struggles over the next few seasons? The team has seen a significant uptick in transfers the last few seasons.

And I wonder if the fanbase thinks the team underachieved with the rosters they've had. Or is he so beloved in Ames that he determines when it's time to retire?

Touchy subject, expressing any displeasure in the coach is tantamount to blaspheme among the majority of the fan base. He'll be the coach until he decides to retire. He'll be 70 in 2027 when this current freshman class are seniors. What happens after that will be interesting. He's been at ISU for 29 years and makes the NCAA 80% of the time. He's the only coach most of the fans have ever known. We never win the conference but get to the Sweet Sixteen once in awhile and that's good enough for the fan base. I gave up on expecting more around 15-20 years ago. He started out like a house afire and I thought he might build on that but it's been more just a sustained good program, not a great program.

Will be interesting to see how many of this current highly ranked class (ESPN #13) he retains. He had a really good class four years ago and only Ryan remains. Lot's of transfers out but who hasn't had them. More telling to me is how a number of players did not opt for a 5th year.

Reaction Score
ISU, I've heard Coach Fennely can be verbally abusive to players, and that is why some of the transfer issues.
Is this true at all, or are there other reasons?

Reaction Score
ISU, I've heard Coach Fennely can be verbally abusive to players, and that is why some of the transfer issues.
Is this true at all, or are there other reasons?

That's his reputation. He supposedly has toned it down but I am not so sure.

Reaction Score
If nothing in the regular season, ESPN usually shows at least the Big Ten tournament final.
Don't think that's the case anymore. The Big 10 will likely have this broadcasted by Fox this season with their new media deal in place.

Reaction Score
Don't think that's the case anymore. The Big 10 will likely have this broadcasted by Fox this season with their new media deal in place.

The comment made me look at other games and Iowa has a bunch of games on Peacock. Assuming as a Hawk fan you will now need Big Ten, Fox and Paramount to watch the games. At last the Big Ten network games are mostly on the big channel and not one their + subscription. If I want to watch my local Gopher I have to go to the game or do a Big Ten Plus since they don't get on the main channel. As a casual fan it wasn't worth it last year.

Everyone now, like the pro leagues, farms out a bunch of games to Apple, Paramount, Peacock, Amazon, whoever) so your team subscription has all sorts of holes in it requiring you to add more and more subscriptions. Boo that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The comment made me look at other games and Iowa has a bunch of games on Paramount+. Assuming as a Hawk fan you will now need Big Ten, Fox and Paramount to watch the games. At last the Big Ten network games are mostly on the big channel and not one their + subscription. If I want to watch my local Gopher I have to go to the game or do a Big Ten Plus since they don't get on the main channel. As a casual fan it wasn't worth it last year.

Everyone now, like the pro leagues, farms out a bunch of games to Apple, Paramount, Amazon, whoever) so your team subscription has all sorts of holes in it requiring you to add more and more subscriptions. Boo that.

I do and don't get your point.

Here's where I do:
1). Needing subscription services can be pain because of TV deals conferences have in place.
2) To make things worse, you sometimes need cable subscriptions to access certain streams (e.g. SEC+, ACCNX, etc.) even though you pay for the service.

Here's where I don't:
1) BIG10+ for both men's and women's basketball is a steal (to me), especially considering Canadians can subscribe. They're the only conference which does.
2) BIG10+ let's you subscribe based on what you want. I'd assume having Gophers WBB would be a fraction of the basketball subscription. I'm also guessing it would be less than buying season tickets for the season.

Reaction Score
I do and don't get your point.

Here's where I do:
1). Needing subscription services can be pain because of TV deals conferences have in place.
2) To make things worse, you sometimes need cable subscriptions to access certain streams (e.g. SEC+, ACCNX, etc.) even though you pay for the service.

Here's where I don't:
1) BIG10+ for both men's and women's basketball is a steal (to me), especially considering Canadians can subscribe. They're the only conference which does.
2) BIG10+ let's you subscribe based on what you want. I'd assume having Gophers WBB would be a fraction of the basketball subscription. I'm also guessing it would be less than buying season tickets for the season.

Yeah, don't disagree in the Big Ten streaming, just more that they are further diluting that but taking 7 Iowa games off of Big Ten and putting them on Peacock. I misspoke and said Paramount in my earlier post. Seven games is a lot of games to cherry pick away from the Big Ten subscribers.

To watch my Yanks this season I had to have my MLB subscription, access to Twins regional broadcast (blackout), Amazon, Apple TV, ESPN/ABC, Fox and TBS.

Reaction Score
Yeah, don't disagree in the Big Ten streaming, just more that they are further diluting that but taking 7 Iowa games off of Big Ten and putting them on Peacock. I misspoke and said Paramount in my earlier post. Seven games is a lot of games to cherry pick away from the Big Ten subscribers.

To watch my Yanks this season I had to have my MLB subscription, access to Twins regional broadcast (blackout), Amazon, Apple TV, ESPN/ABC, Fox and TBS.

That's fair. As a Canadian, I'm happy that one of the big conferences found a way to make streaming possible without having to go through back channels. Our version of ESPN+, TSN+ is relatively new (long story) and their NCAA WBB coverage is sorely lacking.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
FWIW...I am really enjoying the ESPN+ subscription I signed up for around Thanksgiving so I could watch NC State play at the Paradise Jam. Since then, I've been able to watch several games (men and women) I normally wouldn't get a chance to see without the subscription. I feel, in a way, I have already viewed enough to make the first month of subscription worth the price.

Reaction Score
FWIW...I am really enjoying the ESPN+ subscription I signed up for around Thanksgiving so I could watch NC State play at the Paradise Jam. Since then, I've been able to watch several games (men and women) I normally wouldn't get a chance to see without the subscription. I feel, in a way, I have already viewed enough to make the first month of subscription worth the price.

After tonight all of the ISU games are currently scheduled to be on ESPN+ so it works well for me and Big 12 fans. Except for the Texas game, that will be on their Longhorn Network which is an ongoing annoyance to other Big 12 schools that we won't have to deal with anymore next year.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Good crowd.

ISU started 3 freshmen, I had no idea they were so young this year.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I'm pretty surprised at how small of a role Natabou has with Iowa St. I thought she'd be a fairly impactful transfer. I'm also surprised she didn't follow Coach Campbell to TCU. Freshmen Crooks and Brown are good, I see why they start.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Have we seen a player score all of her team's points in 1 quarter before? I think Clark just did. She tried to get her teammates going but they just weren't delivering.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom