Iowa vs. Iowa State | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Iowa vs. Iowa State

Reaction Score
Welcome to the newbies and lurkers. Bring more with you.

There is nothing like an instate rivalry in small/medium sized states in ANY sport. Our rivalry with Clemson in baseball from 2000-2010 id something I will cherish and the names of my rivals players are etched in my brain. So, too should wbb hold a place in the memories of Iowans.

BTW Iowa, there was some harsh talk between some our zealots and your zealots this year about NPOY. Clark certainly deserves consideration. While a scorer, I admire her assist numbers too.

Iowa State fans: I have always felt that y'all are like us. We don't have a lot to cheer about, but give us something close to a winner and we'll show up.

Last edited:

Matthew1589

Iowa Hawkeye Grad and Fan
Reaction Score
Welcome to the newbies and lurkers. Bring more with you.

There is nothing like an instate rivalry in small/medium sized states in ANY sport. Our rivalry with Clemson in baseball from 2000-2010 id something I will cherish and the names of my rivals players are etched in my brain. So, too should wbb hold a place in the memories of Iowans.

BTW Iowa, there was some harsh talk between some our zealots and your zealots this year about NPOY. Clark certainly deserves consideration. While a scorer, I admire her assist numbers too.

Iowa State fans: I have always felt that y'all are like us. We don't have a lot to cheer about, but give us something close to a winner and we'll show up.
Don't forget about Caitlin's rebounding too, around 8 a game isn't bad for a PG.

Reaction Score
Interesting if true. No idea who she will pick. Maybe guessing Iowa but that solely based on post history. Can't imagine that Minnesota or Wisconsin are serious contenders. Sooners on the list is interesting and might be the darkhorse if they sold her on the Courtney Paris success there, plus new coach Jennie B. would have known/recruited her from Drake coaching days.

Reaction Score
Some crystal ball stuff saying ISU and from reporter that covers the Hawks not the Cyclones.

Reaction Score
Some crystal ball stuff saying ISU and from reporter that covers the Hawks not the Cyclones.

And it's ISU. Now with three 6'-3" gals in that class, all in the ESPN 2023 Elite 60, not exactly the norm for a guard school. And probably done for 2023 high school recruiting as that is five committed recruits. Will make for an interesting lineup some day. Whenever ISU has had someone that might be better suited for forward they end up being forced to play the post because we didn't have a true post. Seems the gals with Cooks will get a change to maybe actually play forward some. Seems at least one is probably better suited for forward and both are listed as such.

Matthew1589

Reaction Score
And it's ISU. Now with three 6'-3" gals in that class, all in the ESPN 2023 Elite 60, not exactly the norm for a guard school. And probably done for 2023 high school recruiting as that is five committed recruits. Will make for an interesting lineup some day. Whenever ISU has had someone that might be better suited for forward they end up being forced to play the post because we didn't have a true post. Seems the gals with Cooks will get a change to maybe actually play forward some. Seems at least one is probably better suited for forward and both are listed as such.
Audi Crooks isn't the type of player who will be able to handle heavy minutes. 20 or under will be her max unless she puts in the work to get in better shape. There will be plenty of minutes to go around for ISU's front court players. Good pickup for them though.

Reaction Score
ISU just signed this gal I'd never heard of. Was a ranked 2018 player by ESPN but went to a small NAIA religious school. If not for the earlier ranking I'd be pretty skeptical but if nothing else the shot blocking might transition to Div 1.

Anyone know anything about her?

Reaction Score
ISU just signed this gal I'd never heard of. Was a ranked 2018 player by ESPN but went to a small NAIA religious school. If not for the earlier ranking I'd be pretty skeptical but if nothing else the shot blocking might transition to Div 1.

The name kept ringing bells in my head bc I recognized the last name Soares from somewhere.

We have a player named Kamilla Cardoso who is from Brazil. I'm wondering if Stephanie played on Brazil's national team earlier this year with Kamilla. Might be a common last name in Brazil but Kamilla's mom's last name is also Soares which is why the name was ringing bells. Idk if they are somehow related or not.

Matthew1589

Reaction Score
The name kept ringing bells in my head bc I recognized the last name Soares from somewhere.

We have a player named Kamilla Cardoso who is from Brazil. I'm wondering if Stephanie played on Brazil's national team earlier this year with Kamilla. Might be a common last name in Brazil but Kamilla's mom's last name is also Soares which is why the name was ringing bells. Idk if they are somehow related or not.
Her father is Brazilian and mother is American, Susan Thompson, played for Jody Conradt at UT.

Reaction Score
Her father is Brazilian and mother is American, Susan Thompson, played for Jody Conradt at UT.
Stephanie's mom is Susan Thompson? Kamilla's mom is Janete Soares according to her bio.

Reaction Score
Seems like on paper an understated but solid pickup. There wasn't really another PG on the roster to backup Clark.
She’s really good. Her numbers this past season were deceiving as there wasn’t nearly as much talent around her in Micaela Kelly’s absence, which won’t be an issue at Iowa. Her first two seasons she averaged like 17.5 ppg on 50% shooting. There’s always a question of how well mid-major talent will fit into the big leagues, but this one makes me an Iowa fan.

Matthew1589

Reaction Score
Molly is exactly what Iowa needed in the backcourt another sharp shooting point guard who takes it strong to the basket for her size. Combine her with the incoming 3 Freshmen this is an important addition.

Reaction Score

Iowa State got a diamond! Whoever on Iowa State coaching staff found this talented lady, needs a raise! Stephanie is a solid player. Stephanie is long (6'6") and athletic. She can handle the ball, shoot from range, defend, and rebound. Saw some of her games (The Masters University) through their Livestream this past season.

Reaction Score
Probably only of interest to Hawkeye and Cyclone fans, so putting it in this thread, but former Cyclone and current Hawkeye Kylie Feuerbach is out with an ACL. :(

Reaction Score
Probably only of interest to Hawkeye and Cyclone fans, so putting it in this thread, but former Cyclone and current Hawkeye Kylie Feuerbach is out with an ACL. :(

Definitely a tough one for a seemingly great kid (and, as you noted, one with both Cyclone and Hawkeye playing experience). Coming on the heels of Paige's latest heartbreaking injury, I feel for Kylie.

For what it's worth to anyone, I'm a dedicated UConn fan and Connecticut resident with college roots from Wake Forest, but I've been an Iowa football and basketball fan since the Hawks' Rose Bowl wins in the '50s. I'm also a big fan of Joens... however, when they play this season, I'll be rooting for the Hawkeyes.

Reaction Score
Definitely a tough one for a seemingly great kid (and, as you noted, one with both Cyclone and Hawkeye playing experience). Coming on the heels of Paige's latest heartbreaking injury, I feel for Kylie.

For what it's worth to anyone, I'm a dedicated UConn fan and Connecticut resident with college roots from Wake Forest, but I've been an Iowa football and basketball fan since the Hawks' Rose Bowl wins in the '50s. I'm also a big fan of Joens... however, when they play this season, I'll be rooting for the Hawkeyes.

Think a lot of the more bitterly partisan fans in Iowa forget that if the chips had fallen a little differently you might have Clark and Joens teamed up. Clark/Joens at ISU if Clark had picked ISU when down to Iowa/ISU. Clark/Joens at Iowa if her dad hadn't set his fire on hair with the Iowa staff which killed any desire for Iowa to recruit his daughter(s).

Will be an interesting year for ISU. Pretty much best roster they've ever had. Joens looks noticeably leaner when watching her play this summer in the 2022 FIBA 3x3 World Cup games. Even though it benefits both Iowa and ISU to get starting seniors back with an extra "Covid" year it still doesn't seem right to me.

Reaction Score
Both of these teams are a tier below the title contenders but it wouldn’t surprise me to see the pair remain in the top 8-10 for most of the season. Their head-to-head should be a thriller. I wonder if ISU’s 6’6” pickup Soares can help slow down Czinano; ISU programmatically is known for playing thin in the post and living or dying by its guards.

Reaction Score
Big Ten and Big 12 pre-season picks are in for both leagues. Both Iowa State and Iowa are picked to win their leagues. Cyclones just eked out Texas for the pick (coaches vote poll). Iowa's Caitlin Clark and Iowa State's Ashley Jones are both picked as league POY.

Guessing with the nation following Clark has that the ESPNU matchup will draw some interest. Too bad it's not on one of the flagship channels. Won't be surprised if the game in Iowa City is a sellout.

Reaction Score
Big Ten and Big 12 pre-season picks are in for both leagues. Both Iowa State and Iowa are picked to win their leagues. Cyclones just eked out Texas for the pick (coaches vote poll). Iowa's Caitlin Clark and Iowa State's Ashley Jones are both picked as league POY.

Guessing with the nation following Clark has that the ESPNU matchup will draw some interest. Too bad it's not on one of the flagship channels. Won't be surprised if the game in Iowa City is a sellout.

"If"? Isn't this rivalry a hot ticket no matter who is playing?

Reaction Score

Came across this via Twitter. Wonder how this affects ISU play in the post position. Jordao played significant minutes. Vick played less than 150 minutes total last season but this give me the impression they see more playing time in her future this season.

Reaction Score
"If"? Isn't this rivalry a hot ticket no matter who is playing?

Not always. Last one I attended in person was in Ames 2019. Good crowd by WBB standards but 2nd level was mostly empty. Last game in IC was COVID year 2020 so mini crowd of like 300. Interest is always there for the regular WBB fans but I think it probably goes beyond that this year (and last year for Hawks with those sellouts).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom