Iowa vs. Iowa State | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Iowa vs. Iowa State

Reaction Score

Came across this via Twitter. Wonder how this affects ISU play in the post position. Jordao played significant minutes. Vick played less than 150 minutes total last season but this give me the impression they see more playing time in her future this season.

I think newcomer Stephanie Soares probably grabs a bunch of the post minutes (or at least I think they hope she is good enough to). Last year it was sort of split between Jordao and Morgan Kane, nothing fancy there but together their total stats were not bad at all for a guard lead team. Depending on who they are playing 6'-4" Canadian Izzi Zingarois is an option. She looks quite a bit leaner than when she showed up as a freshman. Other thing is the Big 12 is not loaded with top post talent, Texas and Baylor graduated theirs and, sadly, K-State's Ayoka Lee is out for the season with knee surgery.

Reaction Score
I think newcomer Stephanie Soares probably grabs a bunch of the post minutes (or at least I think they hope she is good enough to). Last year it was sort of split between Jordao and Morgan Kane, nothing fancy there but together their total stats were not bad at all for a guard lead team. Depending on who they are playing 6'-4" Canadian Izzi Zingarois is an option. She looks quite a bit leaner than when she showed up as a freshman. Other thing is the Big 12 is not loaded with top post talent, Texas and Baylor graduated theirs and, sadly, K-State's Ayoka Lee is out for the season with knee surgery.
I wouldn't overlook Texas' depth at the position this season even with players like Ebo and Lattimore transferring out. While Moore is considered undersized, she's like Morrow from DePaul. High motor and plays bigger than what's she's listed. Texas fans seem pretty high on the roster they have at the post position this season as well. I'll definitely be watching closely.

And ps - it's Zingaro ;) Although Zingarois has a nice French-Canadian vibe to it. Tres bien, mon amis. :D

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
If you aren't familiar with Texas' incoming transfer posts 6'5 Taylor Jones (Oregon State) and 6'4 Khadijah Faye (Texas Tech), you might want to see their video clips. Jones is very experienced having played in the PAC, and Faye had a couple of huge games going head to head against Ayoka Lee.

Reaction Score
Since the Cy-Hawk games is Wednesday in Iowa City I thought I'd bump the thread. Iowa's Clark is obviously okay after her ankle thingie with a triple-double in 29 minutes versus woeful Wisconsin. Czinano was 9-10 and after being missing in action for a couple for games.

Iowa State last played in a meaningless exhibition level game last Tuesday against some school with a bunch of initials. It's was such a mismatch I hardly paid attention.

Going to be an interesting rivals game with ranked teams and some intriguing matchups. Soares vs Czinano in the paint and Big 12's defensive player of the year Lexi Donarski guarding Clark. Not sure who Iowa has guarding Joens. Across the two teams the only player with any reputation for defense is Donarksi. Maybe include Soares with blocked shots on the defense but we'll know more about that come conference play. Might come down to whoever hits threes as it's sort of the bread and butter for both teams.

Question for any Hawks, what happened to Sharon Goodman? I thought she looked pretty good as a true freshman (for an unheralded recruit) in spot play backing up Czinano but doesn't seem to play much after coming back from ACL.

Reaction Score
Since the Cy-Hawk games is Wednesday in Iowa City I thought I'd bump the thread. Iowa's Clark is obviously okay after her ankle thingie with a triple-double in 29 minutes versus woeful Wisconsin. Czinano was 9-10 and after being missing in action for a couple for games.

Iowa State last played in a meaningless exhibition level game last Tuesday against some school with a bunch of initials. It's was such a mismatch I hardly paid attention.

Going to be an interesting rivals game with ranked teams and some intriguing matchups. Soares vs Czinano in the paint and Big 12's defensive player of the year Lexi Donarski guarding Clark. Not sure who Iowa has guarding Joens. Across the two teams the only player with any reputation for defense is Donarksi. Maybe include Soares with blocked shots on the defense but we'll know more about that come conference play. Might come down to whoever hits threes as it's sort of the bread and butter for both teams.

Question for any Hawks, what happened to Sharon Goodman? I thought she looked pretty good as a true freshman (for an unheralded recruit) in spot play backing up Czinano but doesn't seem to play much after coming back from ACL.
Good question regarding Goodman. I've been wondering the same.

My next question is who backs up Czinano during this game? From what I've watched, it doesn't seem like Coach Bluder trusts O'Grady as much as she did last year. They're going to need as much depth possible to keep Soares off the boards.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Wednesday early evening on ESPN2 at 6:00 (CT).

I'm rooting for the Land Grant institution. Might have to dig out my Iowa State sweatshirt (though I haven't seen in a couple of decades)

Reaction Score
I'm rooting for the Land Grant institution. Might have to dig out my Iowa State sweatshirt (though I haven't seen in a couple of decades)
I'm one of those who seemingly 'can't make up my mind' fans.

I'm an avid Huskies fan who also roots for Wake 'cause of my college experience there.

So, what's the point here? The Hawkeyes football team grabbed me in the late '50s with a couple of Rose Bowl wins and I've been an Iowa football fan ever since. Both Iowa basketball teams have been good to very good over the years so I increasingly followed those Hawkeyes teams. These days, with Paige out with injury, Caitlin is the best show in WCBB.

So, I'll be rooting for Iowa tomorrow evening but kind of think ISU might get the 'W.'

Reaction Score

To answer your question about Sharon Goodman, not a lot of people noticed when it happened but a couple of fans did see that I think in the second home game of the season during pre-game warmups she took a little bit of a tumble and it seemed to have affected her ACL knee. She only played 3 minutes that game and it was a blowout. Nothing official has been said about it but she already was not 100% back from her knee injury and I wonder if the tumble kind of set her back a little bit.

I'm interested in seeing how ISU handles Monika Czinano. As a Hawk fan myself I have noticed that teams are learning how to guard her better and take her out of the game. Clogging the paint is happening a lot more this season than it did last season. I'm also interested in the matchup with Stephanie Soares.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
  • Iowa is 5-3 vs Iowa State's 6-1
  • Caitlin Clark vs Ashley Joens for overall scoring punch
  • Monika Czinano vs. Stephanie Soares for inside the paint
  • McKenna Warnock (third and last Hawkeye in double figures) vs. Emily Ryan and Lexi Donarski (third and fourth Cyclones in double figures)
  • Clark family bringing cookies for the team vs. Mr. Joens bringing the rants for the Cyclones

The Iowa Corn Cy-Hawk Series is being held in Iowa City this year.
Should be intense.

However, that fourth point sticks with me: who else can bring it for the Hawkeyes? Will Caitlin/Monika run out of gas?
(Slight) Edge: Cyclones.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
  • McKenna Warnock (third and last Hawkeye in double figures) vs. Emily Ryan and Lexi Donarski (third and fourth Cyclones in double figures)
  • Clark family bringing cookies for the team vs. Mr. Joens bringing the rants for the Cyclones

Should be intense.

However, that third point sticks with me: who else can bring it for the Hawkeyes? Will Caitlin/Monika run out of gas?
Is he even allowed in their stadium? Heard he's been kicked out in the past.

Reaction Score
To answer your question about Sharon Goodman, not a lot of people noticed when it happened but a couple of fans did see that I think in the second home game of the season during pre-game warmups she took a little bit of a tumble and it seemed to have affected her ACL knee. She only played 3 minutes that game and it was a blowout. Nothing official has been said about it but she already was not 100% back from her knee injury and I wonder if the tumble kind of set her back a little bit.

I'm interested in seeing how ISU handles Monika Czinano. As a Hawk fan myself I have noticed that teams are learning how to guard her better and take her out of the game. Clogging the paint is happening a lot more this season than it did last season. I'm also interested in the matchup with Stephanie Soares.

That would have been my speculation. Thought as a freshman she got out and ran the court pretty well in her sub-minutes and if you're a big and run the court there's a good chance Clark will find you.

Reaction Score
On paper this will be the biggest ever matchup in the series and yet I am oddly not that anxious about the game itself. Maybe because, until a recent Iowa steak, the teams have basically swapped wins over the last 20 years with the home team usually winning. With ISU having a good a shot at winning the Big 12 and not being in the big shadow of Baylor I am way more wanting to (finally) win the Big 12. I don't think a win or loss at Iowa is going to bank much for ISU come March NCAA seedings. Or maybe I am just getting old and don't fret over the rivalry games as much as some.

Not that I don't want to win, it's a rivalry and Cy-Hawk series "points", but I am looking forward to it more as a potentially really good basketball game. The game two years ago sucked for Cyclones but the crazy 4th quarter comeback by the Hawks was really good TV for the WBB fans not affiliated with either school as fans.

Reaction Score
On paper this will be the biggest ever matchup in the series and yet I am oddly not that anxious about the game itself. Maybe because, until a recent Iowa steak, the teams have basically swapped wins over the last 20 years with the home team usually winning. With ISU having a good a shot at winning the Big 12 and not being in the big shadow of Baylor I am way more wanting to (finally) win the Big 12. I don't think a win or loss at Iowa is going to bank much for ISU come March NCAA seedings. Or maybe I am just getting old and don't fret over the rivalry games as much as some.

Not that I don't want to win, it's a rivalry and Cy-Hawk series "points", but I am looking forward to it more as a potentially really good basketball game. The game two years ago sucked for Cyclones but the crazy 4th quarter comeback by the Hawks was really good TV for the WBB fans not affiliated with either school as fans.
I think this game also gives ISU a chance to show how what they've learned from their loss to UNC. I didn't expect them to wilt the way they did when UNC made their comeback. If it happens again tonight, how will they respond.

On the flip side, can Iowa's defence keep Joens, Ryan and Donarski in front of them without getting into foul trouble? The Iowa board comments give me the impression defence is their Achilles heel.

Reaction Score
I think this game also gives ISU a chance to show how what they've learned from their loss to UNC. I didn't expect them to wilt the way they did when UNC made their comeback. If it happens again tonight, how will they respond.

On the flip side, can Iowa's defence keep Joens, Ryan and Donarski in front of them without getting into foul trouble? The Iowa board comments give me the impression defence is their Achilles heel.

Neither team is very good overall on defense. Iowa has been bad at it and Iowa State is mediocre at it. Lexi Donarski is the reigning Big 12 defensive player of the year and is the exception to the rule. ISU has always played a pretty passive defense predicated on not fouling. That can work but not so much when they play a physical and aggressive defense (Baylor, Texas etc) which Iowa is not. This is likely the sort of matchup each team likes. Iowa has been just about outscoring everyone, sort of Maryland light but without the athletes to play defense when they need to. Iowa is trying to play better defense but it's mostly just the smallest player on the court for them, Gabby Marshall that has any actual praise for defense. Both teams would prefer a nice game of H-O-R-S-E with fouls only called on the opponents. ;)

LOL, now watch the game turning into some sort of Wisconsin Badgers men's game with a score for both teams being in the 50's!

Best preview of the game is from the Hawks Rivals fan site. Actually, it is a really good preview.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

Should be intense.

However, that fourth point sticks with me: who else can bring it for the Hawkeyes? Will Caitlin/Monika run out of gas?
My question is when will Iowa learn how to play defense?

Reaction Score
Woof. National audience and both teams look like total crap. Guessing they will settle down in the 2nd quarter.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
It's a shame Caitlin Clark didn't go somewhere that could put more than 1 good teammate around her.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
It's a shame Caitlin Clark didn't go somewhere that could put more than 1 good teammate around her.

Maybe she should be texting her former teammate, Payton Verhulst.
On the other hand, maybe both CC and Payton should get in touch with Sonia Citron....;):rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maybe she should be texting her former teammate, Payton Verhulst.
On the other hand, maybe both CC and Payton should get in touch with Sonia Citron....;)
Don't you be starting something! :p

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom