Iowa State fan here | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Iowa State fan here

Status
Not open for further replies.

caw

Reaction Score
Things actually written about this UConn team on this board:

This is a heartless, gutless, soft team.

Napier either jacks too many bad shots or is too passive.

Giffey has zero plays run for him and he can't dribble.

Boatright is a ball hog and racist against Germans (Thus no plays for Giffey). He is also a bad defender with a bad attitude.

Daniels is soft, has been disappointing and against UL only scored in garbage time.

Brimah is a stick who has limited BBIQ bc he has only been playing for 3-4 years. Doris Burke also called him a walking foul machine. He was a complete reach at about the 250th ranked recruit. Many question why Ollie offered him a scholarship and many thought it showed Ollie couldn't recruit.

Samuel trash talks, plays dirty, has a suspect shot and plays like a deer in headlights when he dribbles the ball.

Kromah is Michael Jordan part two. Did you know he started ahead of Oliadipo back in AAU? (Hyper think has scared me into not saying anything bad about Kromah)

Facey has no concept of how to play defense.

Tolksdorf is a waste of a scholarship.

Olander is a drunk.

Nolan can't rebound and can't finish at all.

Omar Calhoun had summer surgery.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Yes our current roster is filled with terrible students. They'll be lucky to even know how to read the gameplan that KO writes on the whiteboard pre-game.

Reaction Score
Hope OP doesn't think we are being s to him. It's all in good fun! At least my post are lol.

Should be one for the ages!!

Reaction Score
Hope OP doesn't think we are being s to him. It's all in good fun! At least my post are lol.

I was serious about the Fred Hoiberg thing. :rolleyes:

I think he knows we're having fun. Nobody's been rude or unwelcoming.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Man, you guys are being mean. Honestly, if you want to give them a fair evaluation of the team, you'd tell them about our best lineup:

The three guard line-up of Watts, Guest, and Lenehan, with the down-low combo of Facey and Tolksdorf. If I were advising Hoiberg, that's where I'd invest his time. We've done a good job, though, of keeping video hard to find.
How could you leave our leading scorer Omar Calhoun out of the lineup? Have you even watched the team this season???

Reaction Score
Things actually written about this UConn team on this board:

This is a heartless, gutless, soft team.

Napier either jacks too many bad shots or is too passive.

Giffey has zero plays run for him and he can't dribble.

Boatright is a ball hog and racist against Germans (Thus no plays for Giffey). He is also a bad defender with a bad attitude.

Daniels is soft, has been disappointing and against UL only scored in garbage time.

Brimah is a stick who has limited BBIQ bc he has only been playing for 3-4 years. Doris Burke also called him a walking foul machine. He was a complete reach at about the 250th ranked recruit. Many question why Ollie offered him a scholarship and many thought it showed Ollie couldn't recruit.

Samuel trash talks, plays dirty, has a suspect shot and plays like a deer in headlights when he dribbles the ball.

Kromah is Michael Jordan part two. Did you know he started ahead of Oliadipo back in AAU? (Hyper think has scared me into not saying anything bad about Kromah)

Facey has no concept of how to play defense.

Tolksdorf is a waste of a scholarship.

Olander is a drunk.

Nolan can't rebound and can't finish at all.

Omar Calhoun had summer surgery.

You left out "They're a bunch of pu**ies"

Reaction Score
Since you've already heard the rumors about our star players I'll give you the scouting report on a few lesser knowns. Feel free to relay this info to your friends,family or an assistant coach.

Our bigs are 7 foot 300lb tanks that can post up or step back and take a j. Both are quick and strong but are also stretch 5s, think dirk but jacked. One of our bigs goes by the name of Tyler olander. He's mostly an emeka clone, not super skilled offensively but a real rim protector.

Tomorrow I'll give you the book on our up and coming pg/sg sensation, Omar Calhoun. People throw around The name Caron butler/Ben Gordon when talking about him but honestly he's more of a Ray Allen/Rip type gaurd. Great movement without the ball and shoots near 50% in shoot around. More on him later. Some teams double team Omar even when he's on the bench. I wouldn't recommend that but it may have some merit.

Our senior forward from Germany is Giffey who is really only on the team because of APR problems. Don't bother guarding him because he doesn't really do much. You may see him on the three point line but that's really just a distraction to keep our big from being doubled. Sometimes he plays center when we purposely try to lose lol. It's actually pretty cute to see.

Anyway that's all I have for now but as we get closer to game time I'll break down the 2-3 we run and refuse to come out of no matter what is going on in the game. Hint: think cuse but with less success, we didn't go 25-0 and havnt in some time.

Bazz and Boat literally can't stand each other. Try to throw a wedge up in there. Turn them against each other will rumors or flat out lies and they'll be at each other's throats and bazz will start fouling on purpose.

Excellent analysis. I wish you wouldn't give away all UCONN's strengths and secrets though as now the Cyclones know how to play us. You forgot to mention our horrendous free throw shooting this year.

Reaction Score
how is your bench? do you guys play zone :)
Well, we basically play two guards off the bench and that is it. Naz Long is a great 3 point shooter and a decent defender. Matt Thomas is a true freshman and it shows. He lacks confidence IMO, but he will still shoot it. Daniel Edozie was a roll player off the bench, basically getting a few minutes here and there to give Ejim and Niang a breather and to help keep them out of foul trouble. Edozie started against UNC, since they are a bit of a bigger team. I'm guessing Long will start against you guys. Edozie is not a threat on offense, but he is a good rebounder and not bad of a defender. We do not play zone. Just straight up man to man. We rarely ever press because our starters play so many minutes that we tend to not use up energy with pressing. Probably doesn't make sense, but that's how I see it.

Reaction Score
"Looks like it could be a fast paced high scoring game"

I think the key to this game is to avoid this scenario. UConn will guard on defense and unlike past teams will not try to out-run you, but instead play half court offense and selectively attack when numbers are at UConn's advantage. It will be a grind to the end but should be entertaining.

And more thing - don't think this UConn team forgot about 2012 NCAA loss to you guys - Bazz, Boat, Giffey, Daniels, Olander will want payback.[/quote]
That could be big for you guys, honestly. ISU only has Ejim on the team that was a part of that season. Well, Percy Gibson was a freshman that year, but he almost never plays so he doesn't count.

Reaction Score
J

just no that we want to win, bad. You beat us in 2012 and our guys(namely our star bazz) have not forgotten. Our bigs are week, but losing that kid really hurt you guys, he would have eaten us up.
Our guys want to win too. Ejim and Kane are two of the most mentally tough players in the country. They are seniors. They want this train to keep rolling. I'm not going to lie, losing Niang was a much bigger loss than people realize. We run our offense through him. He has such an odd game that he is a nightmare to go up against. He was on a huge hot streak when he went down. On the other hand, you guys only have one game (UNC) of film on us to watch that doesn't include Niang. Yes, a lot of us Cyclone fans believe we could have made a strong run at the National title this year with Niang. How far can we go without him? I really don't know. I didn't think we could beat UNC without him, so it is really hard to say. It was weird watching the team without him.

Reaction Score
You might also note that Uconn is one of the best free throw shooting teams you will ever see. It doesn't sound s e xy, but it wins games, especially down the stretch.
ISU will need to avoid fouls as much as possible then. We are pretty good at that for the most part. Ejim can get into foul trouble at times. I think our game plan will be to avoid that with Niang out and not having much depth at all.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Man, you guys are being mean. Honestly, if you want to give them a fair evaluation of the team, you'd tell them about our best lineup:

The three guard line-up of Watts, Guest, and Lenehan, with the down-low combo of Facey and Tolksdorf. If I were advising Hoiberg, that's where I'd invest his time. We've done a good job, though, of keeping video hard to find.
I can't believe you mentioned Lenehan! Darn you. Darn you to Heck!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
ISU will need to avoid fouls as much as possible then. We are pretty good at that for the most part. Ejim can get into foul trouble at times. I think our game plan will be to avoid that with Niang out and not having much depth at all.
Can you post a link to your board. I'd be interested in taking a look.

Reaction Score

Not at all! You should see the stuff I post over at cyclonefanatic. People there usually don't know if I'm serious, joking around or just plain crazy. My brother is a somewhat well known stand up comedian and I'm funnier than him, always pulling pranks and whatnot. Trust me, nothing you guys post could offend me or make me mad. I appreciate the conversation btw.

Reaction Score
Well, we basically play two guards off the bench and that is it. Naz Long is a great 3 point shooter and a decent defender. Matt Thomas is a true freshman and it shows. He lacks confidence IMO, but he will still shoot it. Daniel Edozie was a roll player off the bench, basically getting a few minutes here and there to give Ejim and Niang a breather and to help keep them out of foul trouble. Edozie started against UNC, since they are a bit of a bigger team. I'm guessing Long will start against you guys. Edozie is not a threat on offense, but he is a good rebounder and not bad of a defender. We do not play zone. Just straight up man to man. We rarely ever press because our starters play so many minutes that we tend to not use up energy with pressing. Probably doesn't make sense, but that's how I see it.

Hearing that Long will get the bulk of the minutes, rather than Edozie is actually a relief. I think our defense can match up better against a smaller lineup, with Shabazz Napier guarding Long and Niels Giffey or Lasan Kromah guarding Kane.

If Kane is effectively your 3, rather than your 2, that helps us immensely on defense, and doesn't lead to a mismatch either on him or on someone else.

I wouldn't mind a fast-paced, 3-point-shooting-oriented, "small" game. It should be entertaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom