Iowa beats South Carolina! | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Iowa beats South Carolina!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Dawn just said in the post game presser that if Boston asks her for advice regarding her decision to declare or not, Dawn will tell her to go…I don’t believe that
IMHO I can't see Boston returning anyway for a 5th year as her 6 senior teammates leave!
Except for Cardoso I don't think any powerhouse players return!
Here is SoCar's roster 2023:

South Carolina Gamecocks Roster​

Team Roster

NamePOSHTClassBirthplace
Laeticia Amihere15F6' 4"SRMississauga, AB
Brea Beal12G6' 1"SRRock Island, IL
Aliyah Boston4F6' 5"SRSt. Thomas, Virgin Islands
Kamilla Cardoso10C6' 7"JRMontes Claros, Brazil
Zia Cooke1G5' 9"SRToledo, OH
Talaysia Cooper11G6' 0"FRTurbeville, SC
Sania Feagin20F6' 3"SOEllenwood, GA
Kierra Fletcher41G5' 9"SRWarren, MI
Bree Hall23G6' 0"SODayton, OH
Raven Johnson25G5' 8"FRAtlanta, GA
Chloe Kitts21F6' 2"FR--
Victaria Saxton5F6' 2"SRRome, GA
Olivia Thompson0G5' 8"SRLexington, SC
Ashlyn Watkins2F6' 3"FRColumbia, SC

Reaction Score
I totally disagree about one of your opinions. Boston a generational talent? Don't see how 8 points in a National Semifinals game when she is in her senior year and her team desperately needs her qualifies her as that. What were her numbers this year? She is now better than everyone else in her generation? Clark? Bueckers? Sabrina by your own addition? Breanna? Wilson? How long is your generation anyway? I see her being good but not great in the WNBA and international play due to lack of foot speed and the fact that she will be going up against bigger more athletic bodies. Overrated and protected by the referees for years in my book. Sorry.

Reaction Score
If Boston wants to be the first person taken in the draft she better go this year. Clark is by far the best player right now in college basketball and she will be the first player taken next year unless she is not healthy. I'm amazed at how effortless she makes shooting 40 foot shots look and they all look like they have a chance to go in. She rebounds, she passes really good too. she is the person to build your pro team around.

Reaction Score
I'm not a Dawn fan but I'm not going to call her a liar.
I have no idea why Boston would want to stay. She already has a championship, she's probably #1 in the draft, the only thing she is missing is to be able to go out with a championship. Brittney Griner didn't even go to the final four her last season and she has had a stellar career. I doubt that she regrets anything (except for bringing hash oil into a foreign country).

Reaction Score
I have to agree with wingsfan055. With a team as deep as SC is, Dawn surely could have just sent waves of defenders at Clark to deny her the ball, trap her and make her give it up. Of course, there’s no guarantee Iowa might not have won anyway but knowing Clark had just scored a 40 point triple double, I would think you would make her the focus!
On the other hand, she may have (probably did) figured her team’s defense, arguably the best in the country, would never give up 41 points to anyone! Clark is truly a great player and great players do things that merely good players can’t. I’m pulling for her and her team to produce one more great effort on Sunday. What a performance!
Finally, I think a lot of people, coaches etc have said that, taking Boston out of the game and making the rest of the team beat you is probably the most likely way to beat SC. Some have even tried it but with little success. Either they were unable to shut Boston down, abandoned the strategy midway through, or the rest of the team was good enough to win anyway. I think Bluder showed a lot of guts to go with this strategy in the FF! She rolled the dice in the most important game of her career and won! (With a pretty big assist from one of the great players in history!)
They did those things and still couldn't keep her from getting the ball. Their choice was let her have a head of steam or defend her in the half court. Clark had a gear no one thought she had until last night.

Reaction Score
Cardoso avoided fouls but it appeared to me that the refs let her get away with a lot of traveling violations in the paint.
Although Boston was called for fouls she usually would get away with, no foul was called when she threw Clark to the floor on an apparent jump ball call late in the game. It looked like Clark got thrown to the ground after the whistle. Jump ball or not, in the NFL a competent ref would have called her for unnecessary roughness for throwing down an opponent after the whistle.
Clark is a flopper and she isn't going to get all of the calls even when there might be something to them. That is one part of her game she needs to throw away, she doesn't need carnival tricks to be great.

Reaction Score
refs called the game where South Carolina were not allowed to play their usual ramming game.

I think that was a real factor in the game. Certain teams play up to and over the line with aggressive fouling and it's a huge advantage when they can get away with it. This has been a consistent strategy for teams playing UConn and a means for less talented teams to compensate for that difference. LOVED when Geno shared an image of bruises on Lou's arm. It's also a persistent problem with WBB officiating.

MAJOR cheers for the refs in the semi-final game.
Could not agree more. That usual put your forearm up and into the back of your opponent on rebounds didn't help because the other fouls were called.

Reaction Score
They also had an off shooting night. Brea Beal was off all night, and usually has some pretty shots from the wing. Just not their night.
Iowa played 5 on 4 all night and that was designed to make someone else beat them and it worked. The inside game was bogged down by Iowa and it made it hard for SC to get their offense in rhythm. Pretty much every inside score for them was a result of an offensive rebound and took a lot of effort.

Reaction Score
Great individual game by Clark (most deservedly player of the year), the Iowa coaches and entire team. Thankfully, the refs called fouls on Boston/SC that have been noticeably left uncalled in many SC games. That allowed for a fair contest where Blunder's (?) game plan was allowed to play out effectively. Iowa's two best players exceeded their season averages while the rest of their squad did everything 'right' to create the perfect storm to topple SC.

As one of very few correct picks I had them getting this win ( more on hope than confidence they would do so). I must say I enjoyed this win more than any non-Uconn win that I can remember. The big downside is that I had them facing Uconn for the title - resulting of course in #12 for our guys. Even as well as Iowa run has been I still believe we could have come out of that one with the W. We'll have to see next season.

I'll be routing for Iowa to takedown LSU Tomorrow. Not a huge fan of Mulkey or Reese but potentially could be another good basketball game. Haven't ever really been a CC fan either but definitely have to give her her due, she is an excellent bb player, possibly among the best wcbb players ever. As long as she isn't lacing 'em up against Uconn I'll be routing for her and a very likable/talented iowa squad led by a very good coach!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The Bird and Taurasi show was terrific. Had Doris Burke on for the entire 4 quarter.

At one point:

Diana: It's tough because they're [South Carolina] going to have to do something they're not good at to win this game.

Doris: Which is?

Diana: Make a shot.

Reaction Score
I have admired DS for years, I have agreed with her politically and have admired the stances she has taken, as well as her coaching; but in her press conference, she should have talked about the game last night and not tried to sidestep the fact that her player, Boston, had no impact on the game. Truly great players have a way of putting their teams on their back and winning. Paige did it when she was healthy, Clark did it last night. Boston was MIA when she was in the game, and in fact, the team scored more points without her. DS should have said that Clark proved tonight she was the best player in the country...instead she made excuses and blamed everything and everyone except her team
Boston did not have a great game. But one game does not define a player. I remember Taurasi crying after a playoff game when she could not hit a shot—wanted to put the team on her back, but just not her night. It happens.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Boston did not have a great game. But one game does not define a player. I remember Taurasi crying after a playoff game when she could not hit a shot—wanted to put the team on her back, but just not her night. It happens.
Yeah, Boston is great.

Reaction Score
Thought it was a bit laughable Boston seemed to be complaining that the refs let a lot go because SC is always deemed the “aggressor.”

Boston is an EXCELLENT player, but I often felt she was a bit over hyped. I just don’t see how averaging 13 points and 9 rebounds gets you on the convo for NPOY when you have players like Clark, Seigrest, even Reese absolutely dominating. Granted I know she didn’t play a lot of minutes at times, but I just don’t see her as this dominating player she gets made out to be. She’s great on defense and I know she was often double teamed and I think she’ll do better in the WNBA with the 3 second rule and better shooters surrounding her.

I think Dawn should have had Johnson take more jumpers in the beginning, try to force Iowa to guard her. SC just didn’t really look that intense or focused. I thought Cardoso was really good and efficient and should have started the second half. It just didn’t seem like they really tried to make an adjustments to stop Clark. I thought LA was excellent when she was in, she rebounded well and disrupted Clark so was confused we didn’t see more of her. Even Clark seemed a bit confused why SC was guarding there posts closely outside the paint and not sagging off. I thought the girl (Marshall maybe?) who was guarding Cooke was excellent and should be getting some credit. Really fun game to watch, Clark is the whole show!

Reaction Score
IMHO I can't see Boston returning anyway for a 5th year as her 6 senior teammates leave!
Except for Cardoso I don't think any powerhouse players return!
Here is SoCar's roster 2023:

South Carolina Gamecocks Roster​

Team Roster

NamePOSHTClassBirthplace
Laeticia Amihere15F6' 4"SRMississauga, AB
Brea Beal12G6' 1"SRRock Island, IL
Aliyah Boston4F6' 5"SRSt. Thomas, Virgin Islands
Kamilla Cardoso10C6' 7"JRMontes Claros, Brazil
Zia Cooke1G5' 9"SRToledo, OH
Talaysia Cooper11G6' 0"FRTurbeville, SC
Sania Feagin20F6' 3"SOEllenwood, GA
Kierra Fletcher41G5' 9"SRWarren, MI
Bree Hall23G6' 0"SODayton, OH
Raven Johnson25G5' 8"FRAtlanta, GA
Chloe Kitts21F6' 2"FR--
Victaria Saxton5F6' 2"SRRome, GA
Olivia Thompson0G5' 8"SRLexington, SC
Ashlyn Watkins2F6' 3"FRColumbia, SC
They are still pretty talented, just going to be really young. Last night when they got off to a slow start, it was really Zia Cooke who was able to keep them in the game and she's done that so many times over the past couple years. So it will be tough without her. But I like Chloe Kitts and Ashlyn Watkins. Obviously Cardoso is very good. I agree she doesn't do all the things Boston does and lacks some of her intangibles, but she's very good.
I know the contrast of styles between SC and Iowa is so obvious but sheesh. Clark had all the space in the world when she would beat her initial defender as she is surrounded by shooters. Cardoso and Boston were constantly being double teamed as every perimeter player besides Cooke was almost treated like a non shooter. That's why I think having Kitts instead of Beal will help a lot offensively. If their 2 can shoot a bit, they'll really be in business

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Thought it was a bit laughable Boston seemed to be complaining that the refs let a lot go because SC is always deemed the “aggressor.”

Boston is an EXCELLENT player, but I often felt she was a bit over hyped. I just don’t see how averaging 13 points and 9 rebounds gets you on the convo for NPOY when you have players like Clark, Seigrest, even Reese absolutely dominating. Granted I know she didn’t play a lot of minutes at times, but I just don’t see her as this dominating player she gets made out to be. She’s great on defense and I know she was often double teamed and I think she’ll do better in the WNBA with the 3 second rule and better shooters surrounding her.

I think Dawn should have had Johnson take more jumpers in the beginning, try to force Iowa to guard her. SC just didn’t really look that intense or focused. I thought Cardoso was really good and efficient and should have started the second half. It just didn’t seem like they really tried to make an adjustments to stop Clark. I thought LA was excellent when she was in, she rebounded well and disrupted Clark so was confused we didn’t see more of her. Even Clark seemed a bit confused why SC was guarding there posts closely outside the paint and not sagging off. I thought the girl (Marshall maybe?) who was guarding Cooke was excellent and should be getting some credit. Really fun game to watch, Clark is the whole show!
Why do people use points as an indicator of excellence? Diana Taurasi averaged 15.0 points, 4.4 rebounds, and 4.5 assists, nice averages but hardly Maddy Siegrist numbers. And Diana is one of the best to play the game

Career stats:
Sue Bird averaged 11.3 ppg, 2.8 reb, 5.0 apg
Tina Charles 15.4 ppg, 9 reb
Aliyah Boston 14.1 ppg, 10.9 rpg

All incredible players

Reaction Score
Not a great coaching game by Staley. Her bigs could score at will against Iowa, but they didn't go to them enough. In the end, that, and too much Caitlin Clark was the difference. Very happy that South Carolina won't repeat. Pulling hard for Iowa to beat Mulkey, I mean LSU.....

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I thought one of the most important things about last night's game was what Clark said to Holly Rowe during the post-game interview. She said something like "the killed us on the glass but we never hung our heads. We just came back down next possession and got after it." That's so true. Getting killed on the offensive boards can completely demoralize and suck the life out of a team. South Carolina has done that to countless teams this season. Iowa never let it get them down. They continued to follow the game plan, muck up the lane and fight for every rebound. How ironic that the biggest offensive rebound in the game was by Iowa (Warnock) with less than a minute to go.

BTW, some may not remember this but Geno recruited McKenna Warnock when she was in high school. She's from Wisconsin and UConn was late getting involved with her. I don't think she ever visited as she was all but committed to Iowa by the time UConn expressed interest.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why do people use points as an indicator of excellence? Diana Taurasi averaged 15.0 points, 4.4 rebounds, and 4.5 assists, nice averages but hardly Maddy Siegrist numbers. And Diana is one of the best to play the game

Career stats:
Sue Bird averaged 11.3 ppg, 2.8 reb, 5.0 apg
Tina Charles 15.4 ppg, 9 reb
Aliyah Boston 14.1 ppg, 10.9 rpg
I mentioned a couple things, not just points. I just don’t find her to be as dominant as made out to be IMO. Not that she isn’t a dominant player, I’m more so saying she gets too much hype at times. And I stand by it, when you have Maddy, Reese and Clark doing what they’re doing I think they’re far and above better fits for NPOY than Boston. I’m not talking about old players, I’m talking about current players and what I’ve seen.

Reaction Score
They are still pretty talented, just going to be really young. Last night when they got off to a slow start, it was really Zia Cooke who was able to keep them in the game and she's done that so many times over the past couple years. So it will be tough without her. But I like Chloe Kitts and Ashlyn Watkins. Obviously Cardoso is very good. I agree she doesn't do all the things Boston does and lacks some of her intangibles, but she's very good.
I know the contrast of styles between SC and Iowa is so obvious but sheesh. Clark had all the space in the world when she would beat her initial defender as she is surrounded by shooters. Cardoso and Boston were constantly being double teamed as every perimeter player besides Cooke was almost treated like a non shooter. That's why I think having Kitts instead of Beal will help a lot offensively. If their 2 can shoot a bit, they'll really be in business
Finally, someone mentions the impact of Zia Cooke(24 pts, 8 rebounds). Without her they lose by 20. She can really play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom