Iowa beats South Carolina! | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Iowa beats South Carolina!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have admired DS for years, I have agreed with her politically and have admired the stances she has taken, as well as her coaching; but in her press conference, she should have talked about the game last night and not tried to sidestep the fact that her player, Boston, had no impact on the game. Truly great players have a way of putting their teams on their back and winning. Paige did it when she was healthy, Clark did it last night. Boston was MIA when she was in the game, and in fact, the team scored more points without her. DS should have said that Clark proved tonight she was the best player in the country...instead she made excuses and blamed everything and everyone except her team

Reaction Score
While I like Dawn and recognize the tremendous job she’s done in building SC to be one of the dominant programs in the nation, it’s probably good for WBB that the Gamecocks lost. SC’s “phone booth” offense, with 2-3 centers on the court at the same time takes WBB basketball back to the dark ages, at a time when everyone else is spreading the floor, running motion offense and shooting the 3.

Don’t get me wrong. If I had the same roster that SC has, I would be running the same offense Dawn is running. But from an aesthetic standpoint, it’s not very entertaining.
Right and I totally agree but that offense only works when you can get the ball inside which they couldn't last night at will because Iowa brlliantly packed the paint and let them shoot from the outside. Also, the referees didn't favor the SC bigs on either put backs or body fouls which many of us have been complaining about for years. Of course, 16 points from Clark in the 4th quarter didn't hurt either.

The best part is that Clark will be back next year and only better and that she and a healthy Paige will likely be the faces of America's backcourt in international and Olympic play for years with some Azzi added in. Assuming Paige is healthy and we play Iowa next year, the TV audience will be through the roof and another step forward for the sport. I'm sure last night's numbers were terrific as well.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
+1

Boston was treated tonight like Edwards has been treated for 3 years. When she put her shoulder into her defender and a foul was called she was legitimately shocked and so was I. I watched her do that 3 times in a row to a defender, finally knocking them on their butt on the third hit. No whistle.
Cardoso was herself. When she got low position she was basically unstoppable but Iowa didn't compound it by fouling.

The game was iced with an Iowa offensive rebound and also that Iowa was 14-14 from the line while SCar was 9-13. Missed shots and failure to rebound did in the Gamecocks at the end.
Boston finished with 3 committed at least 8. A few examples 1st SC possession committed one, no call. The last " held ball, A foul not called.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
While I like Dawn and recognize the tremendous job she’s done in building SC to be one of the dominant programs in the nation, it’s probably good for WBB that the Gamecocks lost. SC’s “phone booth” offense, with 2-3 centers on the court at the same time takes WBB basketball back to the dark ages, at a time when everyone else is spreading the floor, running motion offense and shooting the 3.

Don’t get me wrong. If I had the same roster that SC has, I would be running the same offense Dawn is running. But from an aesthetic standpoint, it’s not very entertaining.
Their offense offensive. Same with their defense.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Clark was sensational. Iowa's game plan was sensational. A couple of things I noticed was Clark had her hands on the ball almost all the time. When SC scored she walked the ball up the court many times. Iowa's offense forced SC to come out and guard them. What a great game.

Congrats to Iowa and the NPOY Clark. She put on a show much like Diana did when she was UConn.

Reaction Score
This is why you cannot give the championship to a team in October like everyone was doing. South Carolina was beatable.... I picked Iowa to beat South Carolina in my brackets..... So happy that I was right about that..... Just wish that UCONN was also there....

Reaction Score
Aaliyah Boston, feeling like the referees, let Iowa be a little more physical in her post game presser was a very laughable moment. South Carolina obviously is a hard team to referee against but you can't complain when other teams fight back. Great game by Caitlin Clark and the Iowa Hawkeyes. I feel like both teams played to their brand of basketball and did everything that makes them dominant teams. It's the small things that leads to a victory for a team and I feel like that is what won the game tonight.

PS
As a UConn fan, I feel cheated. The potential of a three-headed monster Lou, Azzi and Paige. Seems like that was the formula Iowa had. Perimeter shooting not allowing South Carolina's post players to stand in the paint. We have that formula but we never have had a chance to see it at full strength.
Agree, but what Iowa also had (at least in Clark) is a guard who actually drives to the basket. I think Paige has that ability too, but it really was evident last night that part of Iowa's strategy was to drive to the basket, they took advantage of being generally quicker than SC's strength (their bigs). Clark is a great team player, she has more assists than anyone in women's basketball, she only turned it over a few times with her passes. What beautiful execution of assisting to Czinano once Clark beat her defender. There was no hesitation by Czinano in shooting once she received the pass too. The comparison of Clark to Paige is interesting- very similar- Clark probably has deeper range but is more of a gunner. Maybe Clark has to be a gunner for Iowa though especially against a team like SC- someone has to put up the shots. Really was impressed by Czinano who had a great game. Superb coaching job too by Iowa. Game reminded me in some ways of the 2013 Louisville vs Baylor and Griner game, which is still the most exciting game I've seen.

Reaction Score
Not sad to see SC lose. Happy for Iowa. Clark is sooo good. She has a knack for creating space and making off-balance shots. SC couldn't guard her and that surprised me. I just hope that LSU doesn't win tomorrow. I put LSU in the same category as Tennessee and Notre Dame. Go Iowa!

Reaction Score
,.Clark did whwt I emplored the UConn playersb to do, attack South Carolina's front court

South Carolina's lack of outside shooting was always their weakness forcing them to depend on their superior height for offensive rebounds all season long..........that formula worked until it didn't.......there was always a chance they could lose if their opponent managed to put up points, but it took Clark's fearless showing to make it happen........congrats to Iowa.....now go do it one more time against LSU!!

Reaction Score
Dawn is a coach, not an artist. Aesthetics or winning? Entertaining or winning? The Tim Duncan Spurs were viewed as boring. Duncan was viewed as boring. The Spurs fans were bored with 5 NBA championships. Are the SC fans boring in the same manner? Well, probably not the fans on SC's answer to the Boneyard. I remember a criticism about John Madden's 70s Raiders. You knew they were going to run left. Madden's response was on the left side I have Art Shell, Gene Upshaw and Jim Otto, all Hall of Famers. "Why wouldn't I run left?"
Dawn should have got another good shooting guard in the transfer window instead of simply collecting multiple 6'4" frontcourt players......I have a feeling that won't happen again......

Reaction Score
The first thing she did was congratulate Iowa, but after that…..
Also, remember the last time she lost to UConn she blamed it on the ball.
I did hear her compliment Iowa. I believe it was at the start of the post game press conference, and also it looked like outside the locker room with a reporter whose name I can’t remember. She might be just trying to protect her players against criticism, particularly Boston. Lisa Leslie had questions about Boston’s second foul when I was watching the Bird- Taurasi show. I believe Boston only ended up with three fouls total so fouls did not affect her game. It looks like she just had an off night.

Reaction Score
True but I think Clark and Paige are that good especially offensively. There will be a physical catch up period since Sabrina is way ahead on that score but no doubt in my mind that at one point Clark- Bueckers is the nation's backcourt.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Dawn just said in the post game presser that if Boston asks her for advice regarding her decision to declare or not, Dawn will tell her to go…I don’t believe that
I'm not a Dawn fan but I'm not going to call her a liar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom