Iowa beats South Carolina! | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Iowa beats South Carolina!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is this a reasonable take....or crazy...or even worse...Boneyard crazy?

I think Cardosa will have a better wnba career than Boston. Also more
likely to be on future USA teams...including the 2028 Olympics.

Boston will be very good,,,and may well be on the 2028 team with Cardosa...
but I think Cardosa's ceiling is higher....and she is younger.
I respectfully disagree-Cardosa gets most of her points on putbacks and 2-foot jumpers. She has little or no moves to the basket. or doesn't possess a short range jumper These limitations will not be met with success at the next level....

Reaction Score
It was also that everyone expected a " Hollywood ending" for AZZi and Caroline. But injuries prevailed. When we saw the never ending line-up of injuries, beginning with the complete demoralization from Paige and Ice Brady going out for the entire season, it became clear that sweet sixteen was a likely " top" for the team that remained. With better health ( AZZI and Caroline, and Aubrey, at the end ) we could have moved up one level. But it wasn't to be. Better luck next year.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Absolutely agree, thr sweet 16 was this year' team peak. I can't imagine another team in the country accomplishing what we did this year, under the unprecedented circumstances this team had to endure. Azzi was not Azzi this year. Not even close. And can you blame her. I don't care who you are, but after the setbacks Azzi had, injury wise, it constantly lingers in your head. As an athlete myself, can tell the many times Azzi wanted to do a move she would naturally do in her sleep, but then retreated to not do it because of fear of re injuring her knee. That feeling sucks bro.

Reaction Score
Couldn't have said it better myself. Absolutely agree, thr sweet 16 was this year' team peak. I can't imagine another team in the country accomplishing what we did this year, under the unprecedented circumstances this team had to endure. Azzi was not Azzi this year. Not even close. And can you blame her. I don't care who you are, but after the setbacks Azzi had, injury wise, it constantly lingers in your head. As an athlete myself, can tell the many times Azzi wanted to do a move she would naturally do in her sleep, but then retreated to not do it because of fear of re injuring her knee. That feeling sucks bro.
I mean, not to be that guy but ND did lose their starting backcourt, including their All-American point guard, and still made the Sweet 16 as well. UConn did have a great season though, all things considered.

Reaction Score
And I will take that trade in a heartbeat. I understand why everyone is hopping on the Clark bandwagon. She's fun to watch with her Steph Curry range, her DT swag and her court vision, while always adept, has entered into a new level.

Paige's game is esoteric. Caitlin's motor is always running, a high-risk, high-reward style. That style captures most people's attention. Paige, on the other hand, invariably lets the game come to her. Gene has been on record stating that you can't hurry her up or make her play faster than she wants. If Azzi's shot is precision, Paige's pull-up jumper is a thing of beauty. On the court, she is fluid, seldom wasting unneeded effort. Had she been available against Ohio State, their press against UConn would have had less impressive results.

Comparing the two of these talents is like arguing whether a Lamborghini is better than a Maserati. It depends on your taste. While I concede that Caitlin has taken the world by storm and is sitting on the throne now, no less an authority than DT has raved many times about Paige's ability. And, let's not forget how Paige was off to a phenomenal start last year before she injured her leg against ND.

I believe that at this point in time, a year from now, this conversation will have more ammunition for both players. I realize it is hard to make a competitive comparison today, given the amount of time Paige has missed, but I'm confident that her return next season will capture the attention of the basketball world with her style of play and production.

As Paige is playing in UConn's system, her numbers will never compare to Caitlin's.

Lastly, while I would want the ball in Clark's hands at the end of a game, I rather rely on Paige to take and make the winning shot.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
was there ever a player of a top team that the team depended so heavily on then Clark? A truly generational player!
The only other ones that comes to mind are Sheryl Swoopes and Ionescu, but neither carried the full load like Caitlin did. Swoopes scored at an incredible rate but didn't facilitate for others. Ionescu did it all like Clark but scored much less than Caitlin. No one has managed the offense like Clark has--every single play the offense runs through her and in the biggest games she's scored or assisted on 70%+ of her teams points which is truly mind boggling.

Reaction Score
And I will take that trade in a heartbeat. I understand why everyone is hopping on the Clark bandwagon. She's fun to watch with her Steph Curry range, her DT swag and her court vision, while always adept, has entered into a new level.

Paige's game is esoteric. Caitlin's motor is always running, a high-risk, high-reward style. That style captures most people's attention. Paige, on the other hand, invariably lets the game come to her. Gene has been on record stating that you can't hurry her up or make her play faster than she wants. If Azzi's shot is precision, Paige's pull-up jumper is a thing of beauty. On the court, she is fluid, seldom wasting unneeded effort. Had she been available against Ohio State, their press against UConn would have had less impressive results.

Comparing the two of these talents is like arguing whether a Lamborghini is better than a Maserati. It depends on your taste. While I concede that Caitlin has taken the world by storm and is sitting on the throne now, no less an authority than DT has raved many times about Paige's ability. And, let's not forget how Paige was off to a phenomenal start last year before she injured her leg against ND.

I believe that at this point in time, a year from now, this conversation will have more ammunition for both players. I realize it is hard to make a competitive comparison today, given the amount of time Paige has missed, but I'm confident that her return next season will capture the attention of the basketball world with her style of play and production.

As Paige is playing in UConn's system, her numbers will never compare to Caitlin's.

Lastly, while I would want the ball in Clark's hands at the end of a game, I rather rely on Paige to take and make the winning shot.
Well said!

Reaction Score
Oregon had a very bad injury year when they ended up short handed in the playoff and with their top post Hebard playing injured. The lost the younger Sabally before the season even started and were short handed at guard. They ended up losing to the eventual champion Baylor in the last minute of play. There were also other teams that were hit badly by injuries and went into the playoffs short handed with key players injured or out. Most people do not follow other teams that much so they are easily forgotten about.

Reaction Score
Did anyone see DS post game interview? I really really like her but was disappointed in her comments. She was an ungracious loser, blaming the refs, then she started on the media. Maybe I missed it somewhere, but I never heard her say anything complimentary about Iowa beating them. Just blame and excuses. I was shocked and saddened at her lack of class. She is usually more classy!
Boston finished with 3 committed at least 8. A few examples 1st SC possession committed one, no call. The last " held ball, A foul not called.
Thanks for the reminder about the last “ held ball” no call was a joke
The ref seemed to be too timid to call it so the held ball call was an easy way out t

Reaction Score
Finally, someone mentions the impact of Zia Cooke(24 pts, 8 rebounds). Without her they lose by 20. She can really play.
It struck me that Dawn didn’t use Cooke to guard Clark like Nika did
Cooke was much more needed for offense?
Just a question for the BY sages!

Reaction Score
Yes. Not much more pressure than Caitlin faced at the end of that game. Had to make four straight free throws. Never blinked. She is the best. She just "loaded that Iowa team upon her back" and took the win away from South Carolina. Praise beeeee. I can't imagine she has any gas left in her tank for Sunday. We shall see.
Whoever said that the best WBB player beat the best WBB team said it all

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Clark is in phenomenal shape. So I don’t think her conditioning will be a factor today against LSU. I do agree that she will need her teammates to step up. That is particularly true of Martin, Warnock & Marshall who collectively shoot just under 40% from the arc.

Reaction Score
Dawn is a coach, not an artist. Aesthetics or winning? Entertaining or winning? The Tim Duncan Spurs were viewed as boring. Duncan was viewed as boring. The Spurs fans were bored with 5 NBA championships. Are the SC fans boring in the same manner? Well, probably not the fans on SC's answer to the Boneyard. I remember a criticism about John Madden's 70s Raiders. You knew they were going to run left. Madden's response was on the left side I have Art Shell, Gene Upshaw and Jim Otto, all Hall of Famers. "Why wouldn't I run left?"
This ^ ! My coworker hates (maybe too strong of a word) Tim Duncan. Says that he is so boring and expressionless. I always said to her, the guy gets the job done. He never acted a fool because he didn’t have to do so. He’s been that way as a college player. As Chuck said, the best PF in history. The Big Fundamental.

Reaction Score
This ^ ! My coworker hates (maybe too strong of a word) Tim Duncan. Says that he is so boring and expressionless. I always said to her, the guy gets the job done. He never acted a fool because he didn’t have to do so. He’s been that way as a college player. As Chuck said, the best PF in history. The Big Fundamental.
I'd say your co-worker doesn't share that same appreciation, TheGOAT23, that I do of beautifully played basketball (as UConn's women have so long done it).

During Duncan's career, as much or more so because of Pops coaching as TD's brilliance, the Spurs were a joy to watch. That they happened to win five titles was a wonderful bonus.

Reaction Score
I know memory fades and I also know I can't convince you, so I'll let DT's game do the talking. The first 2 shots in this video you have never seen from Caitlyn and there is much more. She's a terrific player but she is no DT. And there is plenty more where this came from.

Totally agree about DT's greatness, Rocky. As a fellow Huskies fan who was also thrilled by Diana's skills during her UConn days, I have no argument that she's among the all-time greats of WCBB.

I'm not trying to convince you about anything about Caitlin Clark. If you've actually watched what she's done now for three full seasons and aren't convinced, well, I'll just bow to your allegiance to a UConn great.

In no way does what's happening these days take away from my appreciation for DT, Sue, Maya, Stewie or players like Cheryl Miller, Swoopes, Holdsclaw, Parker, on and on... I'll just watch and enjoy what Clark is doing during this era and not discount the possibility that someone could come along who's better, in coming years as well as right now, than the greats of past years.

And, as we're all wishing and hoping, here's to Paige somehow overcoming her major physical hurdles to rank among those greats in the next few seasons.

For the moment, cheers... go, Huskies (and today, go Hawkeyes!).
Well pack the car and head to Iowa. ;)
Is it okay with you if I maintain my lifelong Connecticut roots and still admire what Caitlin's up to?;)

Reaction Score
Geez, we are back to these tiresome individual comparisons. Last time I looked basketball was a TEAM sport. Each player has a role established by the coach. The first time Clark took a logo three for Geno, I am sure she would be taken out of the game.
Paige having been injured, I am confident she will return to form and lead CT to great things. No need to compare her to Clark.
As for any comparison to DT, gimme a break, she will be in the HOF. We have had numerous players (Sales, Moore, Charles, Stewart) who could score as many points that Clark does, but Geno wants to spread the points around and many of those players barely played any second halves.
As for DS, complaining about any post round comments, she just lost a heartbreaking game. The " agony of defeat" sometimes make comments sound harsher. Give her a break too.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
The deacon said:
I'm not trying to convince you about anything about Caitlin Clark. If you've actually watched what she's done now for three full seasons and aren't convinced, well, I'll just bow to your allegiance to a UConn great.

In no way does what's happening these days take away from my appreciation for DT, Sue, Maya, Stewie or players like Cheryl Miller, Swoopes, Holdsclaw, Parker, on and on..

Is it okay with you if I maintain my lifelong Connecticut roots and still admire what Caitlin's up to?

Right on Deacon
Hard to compare because they have different games...
Diana's will to guide a not so impressive group to Natty's...with a lot of help from Geno was truly amazing and will probably never be equalled. There was a raw will to win (along with a lot of skills) that distinguish her from everybody.

But Catlin surely is a monster talent...Curry-like range...and an ability to see the court and thread passes that is pretty amazing. And guts and nerves.
An spectacular package...

For anyone who loves pure BB, she's certainly the flavor of the month.

I'm enjoying the show she puts on and looking forward to this afternoon

Reaction Score
I agree. But Paige was the better player when they were both freshmen. So I wonder if Clark would be better now if Paige hadn’t been hurt for two years. Hopefully we’ll find out next year.
I think we all have to admit that no one knows how good Paige will be next season. In terms of playing experience and development, she is nearly two full seasons behind Clark, for example. Plus, no one knows whether there will be any lingering limitations resulting from her injury. Of course, I wish her nothing but the fullest recovery and development possible, but to believe that she will immediately be the equal of Clark or that she will simply resume her play as if nothing had happened is unfair to her. We have to wait and see and hope--which is a lot harder than it sounds.

Reaction Score
Dawn just said in the post game presser that if Boston asks her for advice regarding her decision to declare or not, Dawn will tell her to go…I don’t believe that
I believer that. Dawn, is tough and she loves beating Geno and winning NC's. But I believe she wants the best for kids, especially one kid that made South Carolina a world wide name. After BOSTON her team was talked about in any Uconn Conversation---which meant South Carolina ARRIVED. Now, can Dawn stay in the top 10? Will win the next 14 FF's?
She too knows Geno will have fire POWER galore next season.
Caitlin et al proved sustained fire power beats great defenses and a superior post player. The game is won be OFFENSE--Geno said it many times--just put more points on the score board--that's OFFENSE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom