Iowa 76 - Michigan St 73 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Iowa 76 - Michigan St 73

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Why should UConn drop because of injuries when they are still beating ranked teams? You think UConn shouldn't be ranked right now because they lost Azzi, Carol, Ayanna and Jana? Does the same apply to Notre Dame who has less quality wins and doesn't have Miles, Citron, or Prosper and was above us until yesterday?
Please show me where I said where the Huskies should be ranked.

Reaction Score
Yea Massey doesn't matter the committee and neither does top 25. But the committee isn't ranking the best teams, they are seeding teams based on resume.
NET is a good evaluate of resume a poor evaluate of quality of the team and actually ranking teams against each other. Michigan State is not the 14th best team in the country but they might have the 14th based resume. The #2 team in NET at the end of the year last year was UConn, not because they had the best team but because they had the second best resume. Do you see the difference.
I see a difference but believe that resume trumps mere opinion of best.

Reaction Score
Please show me where I said where the Huskies should be ranked.
"If any other team lost its two best players and was running on a skeleton crew like last year, they’d drop out of the polls into oblivion.This year, UConn lost 3 games and still stayed ranked."

Pretty heavily implies UConn shouldn't be ranked.

It's also unfair to say last years team shouldn't have been ranked considering they teams they beat early in the season. They ended the season 2 in net because their resume was that strong. I definitely don't think they deserved to fall out of the polls either.

Reaction Score
But Massey doesn't matter to the committee. NET is what they use for evaluating teams. MY or your or Massey's opinion don't matter. And, you can game any system - including Massey, if it was desirable to do so.

Top 25 is a meaningless ranking system, Used to be 20 when i wore a younger man's clothes. A more meaningful number would be Top 32. That's half the (old) NCAA field and it's close to the cutoff between where an at large team makes or misses the NCAA.

But, getting back to the point, Massey's or NET ranking "in the 25-30 range" is Quad One and a quality win for Iowa.
People get weirdly attached to particular ratings systems and very dogged at times about relying on it to the exclusion of anything else.

No doubt this board in particular has a particular lean toward Massey though there is not obvious reason why it's preferable to anything else. It's not even an afterthought on men's side.

I will say because of its availability and this board's preference I use it a lot.

Reaction Score
People get weirdly attached to particular ratings systems and very dogged at times about relying on it to the exclusion of anything else.

No doubt this board in particular has a particular lean toward Massey though there is not obvious reason why it's preferable to anything else. It's not even an afterthought on men's side.

I will say because of its availability and this board's preference I use it a lot.

I won't answer for anyone else, but IMO Massey passes the gut check more than the others do. That's why I prefer to use it versus others; however, none of them are infallible. I don't see as many oddball placements, I guess. At least those that I would consider oddball. LOL

One thing I do REALLY like about the NET is the Quad concept - even though it's imperfect too. I think it distills the SOS down to a level more reflective of the competition than just a broad SOS number.

Reaction Score
I don't agree there was "intent" other than being overly demonstrative. If she'd wanted to hit her opponent she would've swung behind her and not to the side where nobody was standing.

Commentators said the intentional foul was called for the contact as she stepped away with the other defender who'd fallen in front of her.

As for arguing with with the officials while running down the court, Tate must have learned that from Clark ;)
I’m not sure if you were there or not. This was definitely different than what Clark normally does.

Reaction Score
Did no other schools besides Iowa recruit Caitlin Clark? She very easily could be at a program with many other options than her shooting 34 shots. She deliberately made that choice.
Suppose you're a baseball manager trying to decide who to send in to pinch hit to try to win a critical game. You look down the bench and see two possibilities: Player A has a .400 batting average; Player B is hitting .100. Not too difficult of a decision, right?

Caitlin Clark did chuck up 20 3's in this game, but she made 8, which equates to 40% shooting. Yesterday's NCAA statistics website showed that only 5 teams were making 3's at 40% or better...out of 348! So 40% is good I guess. The rest of Iowa's team shot 10% on 3's.

So if you want to win, and Clark does...BADLY, can you blame her for taking a lot of shots? This isn't Iowa's offensive profile, it's just what happens as some games play out. She would much rather be shooting 15, maybe 20 times and having 14 assists because her teammates are actually draining shots.

I rolled my eyes myself watching her do the same thing in high school. Now I understand why it happens...she just wants to win.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom