Interview with Delany | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Interview with Delany

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
JayRU09 said:
It's not even just needing a good coach. Facilities are awful here. We put all of our political capital into football and even that rubbed everyone the wrong way.

I don't know if Eddie is the right guy, but even if he is, it'll take about 5 years just to make the tournament. We're much closer in football, especially once we get a new coach.

He's not, but probably the best you can do for now. BT doesn't carry the same cache as the BE in terms of lifting the bottom end BB programs. Need to win a few games first.

Reaction Score
OK genius, if that's the case then why does football drive the bus over all the other sports, so to speak, in conference expansion???? I can't wait to hear your answer.
I, too, have a question. I'd like to say I can't wait to hear your answer but I don't think someone as close to the problem as you will have much insight. Do you think s are born or made?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
OK genius, if that's the case then why does football drive the bus over all the other sports, so to speak, in conference expansion???? I can't wait to hear your answer.

Football funds the athletic department. It also increases exposure. Athletics is nothing more than marketing for most schools. It makes the school more attractive to students, and more visible to students. Those schools that don't need it for that purpose, like Harvard, Yale, MIT, abandoned or never offered high level scholarship sports, while still playing them at a lower level to help provide entertainment and a sense of school pride.

I don't think many schools actually make a lot of money from sports, on a net basis. I'd be curious to see, but I bet it is less than half the schools in the BCS. We know Maryland and Rutgers were losing money. They aren't alone. I suspect that there are a few schools, maybe a dozen or so, where the athletics profits (not revenues) are actually meaningful to the school.

Reaction Score
I think it's like 23 schools who make money overall from sports. I think, don't quote me.

Reaction Score
Seriously dude, you ought to lighten up. Let your belt out a notch. Have Mommy go a size or two bigger next time she takes you to the Underoo store. Something.

Reaction Score
Football funds the athletic department. It also increases exposure. Athletics is nothing more than marketing for most schools. It makes the school more attractive to students, and more visible to students. Those schools that don't need it for that purpose, like Harvard, Yale, MIT, abandoned or never offered high level scholarship sports, while still playing them at a lower level to help provide entertainment and a sense of school pride.

I don't think many schools actually make a lot of money from sports, on a net basis. I'd be curious to see, but I bet it is less than half the schools in the BCS. We know Maryland and Rutgers were losing money. They aren't alone. I suspect that there are a few schools, maybe a dozen or so, where the athletics profits (not revenues) are actually meaningful to the school.
So then tell me why John Swofford destroyed Big East football while trying to set up his ACC network deal with ESPN? You're saying all he wanted to do was make Duke, UNC, FSU, NCState, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, and Clemson more attractive to prospective students?????? Are you serious????? BTW, Rutgers AD just about breaks even while Marylands AD made money last year. I hope you can seriously debate this without resorting to personal attacks like RegisteredUconn.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/schools/finances/

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
So then tell me why John Swofford destroyed Big East football while trying to set up his ACC network deal with ESPN? You're saying all he wanted to do was make Duke, UNC, FSU, NCState, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, and Clemson more attractive to prospective students?????? Are you serious????? BTW, Rutgers AD just about breaks even while Marylands AD made money last year. I hope you can seriously debate this without resorting to personal attacks like RegisteredUconn.

But why? Why do these schools do what they do in regard to athletics? Why spend the money to support these teams? As fars as I know, most truly winning big time programs go against the mission of these schools. That's the question I have asked myself over and over. Why?

Rutgers had $27,000,000 come from subsidies from the school. 27,000,000 that could have been spent on its mission and purpose. UMD subsidized over $17,000,000 as well. Why?

I don't buy to win championships for championships sake either. What does that give the school?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
But why? Why do these schools do what they do in regard to athletics? Why spend the money to support these teams? As fars as I know, most truly winning big time programs go against the mission of these schools. That's the question I have asked myself over and over. Why?

Rutgers had $27,000,000 come from subsidies from the school. 27,000,000 that could have been spent on its mission and purpose. UMD subsidized over $17,000,000 as well. Why?

I don't buy to win championships for championships sake either. What does that give the school?

Boosters, alumni, board of trustees, politicians, fans.

Reaction Score

What does it give the school? In the case of National Champion, Florida State, about $18,000,000. This was in addition to the ACC distributed payout of $17,000,00 to it's member schools and what FSU's football program normally rakes in.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Can he sarcastically call you "genius" or would that be resorting to personal attack?

Reaction Score

If one of the purposes of the school is to develop leadership, are sports a way to accomplish that? The battle of Waterloo was won on the playing fields of Eton.

If one of the purposes of the school is to encourage students to test themselves, overcome obstacles, persevere under challenging circumstances, is sports a way to do that?

Is one of the purposes of the school to learn from both successes and defeats?

Is the school concerned with Jack becoming a dull boy? Recreation is important.

Reaction Score
Watched the Delaney interview on the BTN. Really got the vibe that the B1G is not done expanding eastward.

Reaction Score
Watched the Delaney interview on the BTN. Really got the vibe that the B1G is not done expanding eastward.

On BTN Delany gave an interview yesterday where he said:

“…we have other things we want to do but I think by July1 it will be crystal clear we are committed to competing and becoming relevant to this part of the country …”

That would fit in with the 60 Day tweet about something else happening.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
On BTN Delany gave an interview yesterday where he said:

“…we have other things we want to do but I think by July1 it will be crystal clear we are committed to competing and becoming relevant to this part of the country …”

That would fit in with the 60 Day tweet about something else happening.

Isn't July 1 the day that Rutgers and Maryland join the conference?

Reaction Score
Yes, July 1st is when Rutgers and Maryland join the Big Ten officially.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Your own link confirms what I said. Only the top ten schools even turn a profit at all. Almost everybody else loses. So why do it? It is a marketing exercise, designed to drive donations, loyalty, boost the endowment, reputation and the experience for students and alumni alike. All the things I said.

If you went to Michigan, you likely have Michigan sweatshirts, T-, a sticker on your car, and you camp out every Saturday and watch the games, or go to the games. You possibly donate. If you went to Bates...your experience ends the moment you graduate. Your connection to the school is more tenuous. Look at all of us here on the Boneyard. URI doesn't have an equivalent. Football is the sport that is most successful at creating those links, and attracting students. Basketball is next (although it is tops at schools like UK, KU, UConn, Indiana, Duke).

As to Swofford, why is he chasing money? So the schools in conference lose less money and can afford to continue competing. That's his mission. Increased revenue will decrease the losses. But let's not pretend that these are profit centers for most schools. They are marketing expenses. Now, if you dumped Title IX, and let these schools just run scholarship football and basketball, with no scholarship women's sports, then yes, they would probably make money.

Reaction Score
Isn't July 1 the day that Rutgers and Maryland join the conference?

In the absence of theBTN tweet yesterday about 60 days I would take Delany’s quote as just the obvious official join date stuff. But with the 60 day tweet I think another announcement is coming, good for us, bad for us, who knows but something else is coming down the pike.

Reaction Score
Probably has to do with getting into MSG, maybe Metlife, the DC area, etc. I think any expansion talk would not be hinted at during this juncture. That type of stuff would be heavily guarded, so temper your expectations right now.

Just getting the B1G into the area utilizing the arenas here, I would be shocked if it was anything more.

Reaction Score
ND would be the 15th ACC football team, not the 16th.

I think that Jim "Ahab"Delany has finally gotten the message and has given up chasing ND, his great white whale.

Yes, ND would make 15 - meaning there would be one spot left. They hope that a playoff format forces ND to join in a few years, otherwise taking their Olympic sports is just Big East Part 2. So if you work from that premise, one spot remains. UConn doesn't move the needle for the ACC because they already get the majority of East Coast TV eyeballs with Duke, NC, Syracuse for hoops, and Fla State, Miami, Clemson, Va Tech for football. Louisville brought the league a little further into the Midwest and SEC footprint. I think if ND gets forced to join, the ACC might make a move for Penn State. No one else really moves the needle.

Reaction Score
Get a good coach. Syracuse could be poised for a quick slide down the irrelevancy pole when Boeheim steps down. We'll keep the Garden warm for you.

30,000 people in the Dome, leading the nation in attendance, and among the top few earners among all private schools. There's no doubt there will be money and support to keep the program going. This is where your 8,000 people in Gampel hurt you down the road. You need a much better on campus arena.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Lol...Penn State.

Sure, that will happen.

Ah, the wisdom of a Syracuse fan - you wonder how central New York got to be such a raging s--- hole with that sort of brain power in their midst.

Reaction Score
30,000 people in the Dome, leading the nation in attendance, and among the top few earners among all private schools. There's no doubt there will be money and support to keep the program going. This is where your 8,000 people in Gampel hurt you down the road. You need a much better on campus arena.

I think you are on to something here. I can definitely see Penn State taking in 20 million less a year to play in an inferior conference. Right on!

Reaction Score
I've never thought myself to be a bigot, but my irrational hatred of every ACC fan is making me rethink that.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
ND is never joining the ACC full time. Deregulation looks like it will pass and ND has the ACC bent over just like they had the Big East bent over. ND wants a national recruiting base and will never join a regional conference.

Penn State is not going to walk away from $20M yr. The ACC needs its own network to generate more revenue OR it needs to add schools to open its ESPN TV deal for negotiation.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
If one of the purposes of the school is to develop leadership, are sports a way to accomplish that? The battle of Waterloo was won on the playing fields of Eton.

If one of the purposes of the school is to encourage students to test themselves, overcome obstacles, persevere under challenging circumstances, is sports a way to do that?

Is one of the purposes of the school to learn from both successes and defeats?

Is the school concerned with Jack becoming a dull boy? Recreation is important.

No doubt an accurate representation of the origins of scholastic athletics. today it just sounds... quaint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom