Interview with Delany | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Interview with Delany

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is there a short-form description as to why you feel this way?

If an organization/company uses a number (revenue/cash flow/expense) to counter an argument, the other organization (Union?) has to have the opportunity to vet the number(s).

The number one thing schools want to hide from parents is the losses/expenses of 10% of the fungible budget of the university. This is why they pad those budgets. Auditors would come in and find those AD budgets padded from the academic side.

Reaction Score
So you are saying that ESPN will pay at least $28 million for the non revenue sports that they already own? I was under the impression that ESPN owned almost all of the media rights (excepting coaches shows, radio broadcasting and the like). If they didn't, what would stop UNC from monetizing their "Tier3" games and starting their own network? This is what The Big12 did when The LHN put an end to The Big12 Network. If I remember correctly, ESPN bought The ACC's with the last contract so they could put the big non revenue games on ESPNU.

Let's say that they held back those games, how would ESPN make money on an ACCN if they gave each school at least $2 million more and take content away from ESPNU? Fox is itching to get their hands on as much content as they can and already owns the Big East. ESPN has to decide if they want to play with The Big 10 (I personally think the media will be split between Fox and ESPN) or lose that content as well. They are already losing money (or breaking even) on The LHN so they wouldn't lose them to Fox and either the Pac or The Big10. The ACCN may happen, but it will be bundled with The SECN and The ACC schools won't see as much as you would like. The exposure is priceless, but the money won't be as much, if at all.

Another thing - If you are thinking the Florida schools will get more than the others (or FSU/UNC), than The ACC is dead conference walking. Nothing splits apart a conference faster than a conference automatically giving more resources to certain schools and not others. The Big12 tried it and it almost fell apart. Now, I know you will say that Michigan makes more than Northwestern, and they do. Michigan charges way to high prices on a stadium that holds 115,000 fans and make much more on their non Big10 media (radio broadcasting, coaches show, merchandising licensing, ect). Not from the Big10 media payouts, though. Yes, Nebraska, Rutgers, and Maryland get less of a payout, but they are buying their way in and will receive equal payouts eventually.

How about giving all the big games to only half the conference?

As expected those are figures they report to the gov, there is a great reason to inflate the costs when you are applying for federal funding. And when there is title IX in play transparency wouldn't be of help.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
How about giving all the big games to only half the conference?

As expected those are figures they report to the gov, there is a great reason to inflate the costs when you are applying for federal funding. And when there is title IX in play transparency wouldn't be of help.

What are you talking about? I don't mean to be rude, but are you trying to reply to two different conversations? If you are referring to the Big10 West schedule over the next few years, than I guess 4 years straight of OSU isn't a big game for Nebraska. Neither is 3 years of Michigan for Wisconsin. You see, that's why the Big10 is going to a 9 game schedule. So they can spread out those big games.

BTW - I give no figures in my post you quoted.

Reaction Score
What are you talking about? I don't mean to be rude, but are you trying to reply to two different conversations? If you are referring to the Big10 West schedule over the next few years, than I guess 4 years straight of OSU isn't a big game for Nebraska. Neither is 3 years of Michigan for Wisconsin. You see, that's why the Big10 is going to a 9 game schedule. So they can spread out those big games.

BTW - I give no figures in my post you quoted.

Yes I was replying to Sea Blue in the 2nd paragraph.

The 9 game schedule will help keep it looking like one conference instead of two, but it won't change the fact that the new recruits going to Nebraska are going to play Miami more then they play Michigan while they are in Lincoln. That's a huge 180 from when NU joined the BUG (setting off CR) they all thought they would replace their lost rivals with new ones against UM/OH/PSU, who have now been quarantined.

Reaction Score
So a charter flight traveling 2800 miles round trip or 2400 miles round trip costs less than one traveling 2000 miles round trip? Got it.

Absolutely. How cheap is a flight to Florida compared to a flight to St. Louis? Do you think the women's volleyball team is taking charters or flying commercial?

Last edited:

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Yes I was replying to Sea Blue in the 2nd paragraph.

The 9 game schedule will help keep it looking like one conference instead of two, but it won't change the fact that the new recruits going to Nebraska are going to play Miami more then they play Michigan while they are in Lincoln. That's a huge 180 from when NU joined the BUG (setting off CR) they all thought they would replace their lost rivals with new ones against UM/OH/PSU, who have now been quarantined.

If the keep 14 for the foreseeable future, Nebraska and Wisconsin will see either OSU/Michigan/PSU every year, once they go to a 9 game schedule, usually they will see two of the three.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom