Interesting thread on WVU board about Big East 6 to B12 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Interesting thread on WVU board about Big East 6 to B12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This could be the best solution coming out of the current mess. Of course, this is assuming B12 schools go for it. With OU and TX flirting with every conference, I am guessing rest of the B12 schools don't feel too secure either. If BE and B12 merge, at least all the schools will have a conference even if TX and OU are not part of it. They can grow from there if either or both leave the conference at some point.
One thing, OU and TX are not flirting with other conferences anymore, because no other conference will agree to the LHN or the upcoming Sonner Network. B12 does not want to share tier 3 rights. Every other conference does. This makes it impossible for TX to go anywhere else. More than anything, TX would like to have a conference to play in where they could keep LHN all to itself. This arrangement would be just the ticket.

Reaction Score
One thing, OU and TX are not flirting with other conferences anymore, because no other conference will agree to the LHN or the upcoming Sonner Network. B12 does not want to share tier 3 rights. Every other conference does. This makes it impossible for TX to go anywhere else. More than anything, TX would like to have a conference to play in where they could keep LHN all to itself. This arrangement would be just the ticket.
But does that screw the rest of the teams in their conference in terms of revenue with those networks popping up everywhere.

Reaction Score

I guess being Texas' biatch is better than no home at all. If we do get together with rest of the B12 schools, at least we have some security in numbers if everyone decides to leave Texas at some point. We definitely would help improve basketball side of the things though.

Reaction Score

I don't care about the LHN. In this league UConn would be free to start our own network and with us being the premier basketball school in the league we could easily lock up the whole New England market if our football brand gets strong enough. Hell Rutgers could take the bulk of the NYC market and start their own. Maybe ours isn't national like the LHN but a regional Husky network that reaches New England and New York would be awesome. Also, don't forget we are THE national standard for Women's Hoops which is actually growing in popularity nationally.

Reaction Score
I don't care about the LHN. In this league UConn would be free to start our own network and with us being the premier basketball school in the league we could easily lock up the whole New England market if our football brand gets strong enough. Hell Rutgers could take the bulk of the NYC market and start their own. Maybe ours isn't national like the LHN but a regional Husky network that reaches New England and New York would be awesome. Also, don't forget we are THE national standard for Women's Hoops which is actually growing in popularity nationally.

In a screw up kind of way, each school having its own network might make the whole conference more secure cause no other conference would allow such a deal. All the schools would be forced to stay together in this format because this would be the only conference that allow it.

Reaction Score
I'm not crazy about playing home games in another state. I guess I could be OK with it for a year or 2 max. We would need to expand the Rent quickly if this came to pass in my opinion. Out of state conference home games are certainly not viable long term.

If we were to sell out Foxboro, the Meadowlands or maybe Yankee Stadium, I would expect the Rent expansion to begin quickly.

Reaction Score
If we were to sell out Foxboro, the Meadowlands or maybe Yankee Stadium, I would expect the Rent expansion to begin quickly.

I would prefer Foxboro or Yankee Stadium. UConn selling out Foxboro playing Texas or OU in BC's back yard would be epic. I think the Rent expansion would begin in earnest.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Would likely need to throw in the neutral site games as a carrot for Texas and OU to vote yes. I doubt there is much extra $$ for them otherwise.

What is truly sad is the this highly unlikely scenario is miles ahead of the pu pu platter of add-ons currently rumored.

ACC > B1G> this >>>> pu pu platter

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
Just read a rumor on the TCU board that BYU is in. Assuming that either Mizzou or WVU is going to the SEC I think this is where we are right now if this rumor about Big 12 going to 16 has any merit.

Big 16

Connecticut
Rutgers
West Virginia/Missouri
South Florida
Louisville
Cincinnati
Iowa State
Kansas St

Texas
Texas Tech
Baylor
TCU
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St.
Kansas
BYU

Reaction Score
A lot would depend on revenue sharing. I would not want to be a part of a league that is controlled and run by Texas, where they're getting all of the money and everyone else is their biitch. I do agree that this could be a nice leverage play against ND and the ACC. Culturally, it would be a bad move. Stability-wise, it would be good. I'd definitely be concerned if it was predicated on us playing Texas and/or OU at the Meadowlands. This would be like our old ND deal that never happened, play the games at home. The basketball league would be good, but not great. If it was coupled with some form of basketball scheduling agreement with the more powerful BE basketball onlies, I'd be happy in that department.

That's a concern. Not avoiding playing in a league that looks a lot like CUSA but having to play the most prestigious programs in the country at the Meadowlands or Gillette? I have an idea -- let's complain about any idea that isn't 100% of what anyone wants and just close the programs instead.

The name of the game is saving UConn sports. Quibbling about the details of a plan that does such is, frankly, idiotic.

Reaction Score
Just read a rumor on the TCU board that BYU is in. Assuming that either Mizzou or WVU is going to the SEC I think this is where we are right now if this rumor about Big 12 going to 16 has any merit.

Big 16

Connecticut
Rutgers
West Virginia/Missouri
South Florida
Louisville
Cincinnati
Iowa State
Kansas St

Texas
Texas Tech
Baylor
TCU
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St.
Kansas
BYU

This would make the most sense. Going to 16 into 2 divisions to minimize traveling. We still get to play most of the BE schools now. IOWA ST and KSU might complain but something has to give. You might want to swap KSU with TCU though. Maybe Baylor with ISU too?

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Not likely to happen Wishlist expanded: The new B16 Basketball Tournament could be held at the new arena in Brooklyn, if not MSG, after the Big East contract with MSG expires.
Atlantic 10 will have their tourney in the Brooklyn arena beginning in 2013.

Reaction Score
That's a concern. Not avoiding playing in a league that looks a lot like CUSA but having to play the most prestigious programs in the country at the Meadowlands or Gillette? I have an idea -- let's complain about any idea that isn't 100% of what anyone wants and just close the programs instead.

The name of the game is saving UConn sports. Quibbling about the details of a plan that does such is, frankly, idiotic.
No, I would much prefer this over the CUSA 2.0 scenario in just about any revenue structure. My concerns are beyond that, from the perspective of, if this scenario is on the table, it's absolutely worth serious consideration, and the revenue structure thing would be a negotiating point, not a walk away from the able point, unless it was so incredibly idiotic and stupid that we'd somehow make more money in CUSA 2.0.

Reaction Score
WVU board is now saying ND might be in as well. I really hope this thing has some legs. Could NBC be behind this? If ND came I would assume that either UConn, RU, USF, or TCU is not. The smart move would be to pass on TCU. I wouldn't mind them coming obviously but the Big 12 already has 3 other teams in Texas they really don't need TCU. I could see why ND would want to be in a conference with Texas, BYU and Oklahoma for football and UConn and Kansas in basketball.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
This is a rumor for everything including rumors. UConn will be fine.

How are you so confidence in all of this? Not trying to attack you, but it looks like a real storm is brewing out there.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
that rumor has been out for a while now.
Basically everyone is repeating all the possibilities and now are targeting other boards for something new even though that news is old.

Reaction Score
How are you so confidence in all of this? Not trying to attack you, but it looks like a real storm is brewing out there.
"...looks like a real storm is brewing out there" suggests it hasn't been a cesspool for years. In another life, were you Rip Van Winkle? ;)

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Even if things head in the direction of only 64 teams in four super conferences, there are several teams in the ACC, B12 and BE with less likelihood than UConn of being targeted to be one of the 64. And I'm far from convinced this super conference model will take place for quite some time. Most likely the B!G will wait to see what happens to the other conferences that jump into the 16 team model and observe how contracts are upgraded. And the media may not be throwing out lots of significant increases in monies until they see how these conferences work out. For all the hype associated with this process, I expect the media powers to proceed cautiously. They can afford to. So we can be talking about years from now before this becomes a done deal. Or it can fail miserably.

Almost everything we're hearing are rumors and conjectures. With all the rumors of worst case scenarios, I prefer to believe things will work out for the best regarding UConn. After the dust settles, and IF things turn out the wrong way, then I'll deal with the problems. But since none of us really knows how things will turn out, I'm staying positive and upbeat.

Additionally I'm staying flexible with all the options being thrown out by various intelligent people in this forum. We can argue until we are blue in the face we know the best way to accomplish things, but that isn't true. We don't have a crystal ball into the future. So rather than insist a particular model comes to fruition I'm more interested in being ready to support whatever takes place.

My opinion is there is no sense in being in the grave before the burial, particularly since I'm not steering the ship or handling any other capacity of the ship's movements. I can't reassure you or anyone else about what develops. I've just learned that worrying about things not in my control and before they take place is fruitless and unhealthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom