Interesting thread on WVU board about Big East 6 to B12 | The Boneyard

Interesting thread on WVU board about Big East 6 to B12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Works. Doubt it happens, but it works. It is one of 3 scenarios that has a somewhat happy ending.

Reaction Score
Sign us up. If it is not about football, and it is not about basketball, and its not about geography, and its all about markets, how does this not make sense? Missouri goes SEC, we have a fourteen team conference off rip.

Reaction Score
This option has fast become my first choice as to how I would like to see this all work out. Screw the ACC. They killed the Big East and left UConn hanging. I would love to be in a much better football conference than all of those Big East defectors and I would love to be able to show loyalty to the remaining football schools this way by sticking together.

Reaction Score
Sign us up. If it is not about football, and it is not about basketball, and its not about geography, and its all about markets, how does this not make sense? Missouri goes SEC, we have a fourteen team conference off rip.

Or Mizzou stays and we bring TCU too. Either works for me.

Reaction Score
Simple Math: Big-12 nine + Big East-7 =SuperConference plus Stability if schools sign up for a Bajillion $ buyout to ensure staying together. I say go for it. olympic Teams will play a lot of locals anyway, so what's the hangup?

Reaction Score
This option has fast become my first choice as to how this all works out. Screw the ACC. They killed the Big East and left UConn hanging. I would love to be in a much better football conference than all of those Big East defectors and I would love to be able to show loyalty to the remaining football schools this way by sticking together.
Agree, mostly. First choice for me is a B10 invite, this B12 option is definitely ahead of the ACC option (for the exact same reason), but admittedly, if the ACC did come calling - I'd want UConn to say yes to get us out of the conference formerly known as the Big East.

Reaction Score
In this set up I would even be for UConn (and RU) to alternate playing Oklahoma and Texas at the Giant and Jet stadium. Work it out so we get one of those teams in E Hartford every year. Put a permanent dent in either the Big Ten or ACC ever establishing a presence in the NYC market.

Reaction Score
Could work well with PODs. Praying someone is working on this.

UConn
RU
WVU/UCF
USF

UC
UL
ISU
Mizzou/BYU/WVU

KState
KU
TCU
Baylor

OU
OSU
UT
TT

Reaction Score
Just think about the recruiting advantage we would have over Syracuse, Pitt, and BC by us being in a conference with Texas and Oklahoma. Plus it reduces the prospects of the ACC being able to find logical additions to get to 16.

Reaction Score
could work with PODs.

UConn
RU
WVU/UCF
USF

UC
UL
ISU
Mizzou/BYU/WVU

KState
KU
TCU
Baylor

OU
OSU
UT
TT

I like this pod structure a lot. I would hope it would be UConn, Rutgers, WVU, and USF. I think Louisville being in a pod with Mizzou and Baylor with TCU would also be great for league rivalries. I think being in a football conference like this would do wonders to build our football fanbase in the state. I think the Rent would have to be expanded sooner rather than later with teams like Texas and OU coming here for conference games.

Reaction Score
This is semantics as the odds of this happening are slim, but the pod example is crazy. No way that OU, OSU and Texas agree to be in the same pod. Love the concept as it sets up nicely for TV, with markets. Priority #1 for UConn would be to enlarge the Rent. In fact, that should be at the top of the board for any discussion w/ any conference. Getting to 50K capacity will be needed. Even if you give tickets away or do a groupon deal to fill the stadium, you build a fan base over time.

Reaction Score
Better than CUSA. Better than the MAC.

But don't discount impact on travel. That's a long way to go.

Rutgers the only northeast school. President Herbst has been steadfast in expressing geographic concerns. How those concerns play out, who knows.

Having Oklahoma and Texas come to the rent once every four years sounds good.

No cultural fit, kind of like the full big east confetence, okay academic fit with RU, Texas, Baylor, TCU, Missouri.

I don't see Big 12 members reaching a consensus to expand that far.

Reaction Score
Get the feeling that this may just be a rumor thrown out to try to get the ACC or B1G to react. Neither would like to have another large conference presence in the northeast.

Reaction Score
Seems unlikely to me, but I'd prefer this over Big East leftovers + whatever add-ons we can find. If it were to happen, it would probably mean uneven revenue splits and becoming subservient to the interests of Texahoma. It would retain the only real football rivalry we have left (RU), and there would be some great basketball series there.

Reaction Score
This is semantics as the odds of this happening are slim, but the pod example is crazy. No way that OU, OSU and Texas agree to be in the same pod. Love the concept as it sets up nicely for TV, with markets. Priority #1 for UConn would be to enlarge the Rent. In fact, that should be at the top of the board for any discussion w/ any conference. Getting to 50K capacity will be needed. Even if you give tickets away or do a groupon deal to fill the stadium, you build a fan base over time.

PODS are basically away to reduce travel and protect rivalries. The two highest BCS ranked teams would play in the Championship game - even if they were in the same pod. The ISU president (or athletic director) mentioned they were discussing 9,10,12 or 16 team configurations, so there is a chance :)

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
At this point in time anything is possible. With the ACC already at 14, the possibility of a 16 team conference is not unrealistic at all.

It certainly is a better option than we face right now. If indeed a pod system is employed, the Big 12 might go for it. It would stabilize the conference and give them a boost for all sports.

Reaction Score
Think about it. You know how we follow and watch other BE teams to see how they're doing?

Imagine having Texas on our schedule and watching the Tex/Oklahoma game knowing we play Texas next. Can't even get a grasp on that.

Count me in on this longshot

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This would be my second option after the B!G. I don't see the odds being great for this. If Cuse and Pitt were still in the mix, then most of the travel problems would have been avoided. Heck if we're dreaming about unlikely situations for UConn maybe the 12 and BE football teams pressure Pitt and Cuse to stick it to the ACC. I see Pitt reconsidering.

Reaction Score
Better than CUSA. Better than the MAC.

But don't discount impact on travel. That's a long way to go.

Rutgers the only northeast school. President Herbst has been steadfast in expressing geographic concerns. How those concerns play out, who knows.

Having Oklahoma and Texas come to the rent once every four years sounds good.

No cultural fit, kind of like the full big east confetence, okay academic fit with RU, Texas, Baylor, TCU, Missouri.

I don't see Big 12 members reaching a consensus to expand that far.

I don't see those things as being quite so problematic. If we have what amounts to a B12 East and West then we can stay East most of the time and maintain our own culture. This conference would not only make the B12 a superconference, but it would be one of the top two conferences in both football and basketball every year. It would access quality small (WVU), medium(Hartford, Cincy, Ville etc) and large markets (New York, Boston) in the east and the same holds true in the west. It would be able to withstand a raid at any given time because not only would it have plenty of good memebrs, but a new member could drawn from the east or west if needed, which provides a better pool of candidates.

I just don't see the disadvantages outweighing the advantages. I also don't see how anyone in the west, even Texas, couldn't see the value of exposure in the eastern metropolises if they want to preserve their conference and make big money.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Sign me up too. If it is true I bet we can expect an ACC offer anyday.

Precisely. The Big 12 could force the ACC's hand. The question is, which conference do we pick? The Big 12 has more money, but the ACC has more like-minded institutions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom