Interesting thread on WVU board about Big East 6 to B12 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Interesting thread on WVU board about Big East 6 to B12

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Great post Fleudslipcon (what does your username mean anyway lol).

I should take some of your advice as this thing drives me crazy! I just have visions of UConn, Rutgers, USF then 5 C-USA and MAC teams and no BCS bid!

Reaction Score
Better to be guaranteed a seat at the big boy table than not having a seat. I'd take this conference in a heartbeat. Look at it this way. The 7 teams from the Big East & one from the Big -12 (Iowa State?) will be in one division. With a nine game conference schedule, this would allow for 3 OOC games to round out the 12 game regular season. UConn would play 2 teams from the opposite division Home & home on a rotation. (One rotation is 8 years). This could work.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Nothing will happen until the details are reached on the revenue sharing (and the ceding of television rights) but if this does get signed off on by the current (eight or nine, depending) members of the B-12, there could be worse homes than this.

1 - Yes, we will be bound (pretty much an indentured nservant) to that conference for six years but it is not out of the realm of possibility that the invitation to wherever would take effect (our actually joining) four or five years down the road. If it is the ACC we want as our final destination, there wouldn't be any pool of candidates for them to look into instead of former BE schools so there won't be any risk of losing a spot in that conference. If the B1G is to be our ultimate destination, we are likely a half dozen years away from being where they would consider us anyway.

2 - Yes, there is a large likelyhood that we would not receive the revenues that Texas does. We won't anyway regardless of where we play and if all tier 1 and tier 2 revenues go to the conference, we will end up making more in the B-12 than we would have in a reconstiuted BE 9and possibly in what the BE would have been). The biggest argument on remaining with the catholics is revenue potential (vs football memebrs starting a new con ference). If there is more money to be made here, it becomes a no brainer.

3 - What would we pay for a medium term set of home and home football games with Texas and Oklahoma? The intangible value of these games has to be iun the millions of dollars. Could we land a home and home series with schools like Texas Tech or Okie St? Would we turn down a medium term home and home series with Kansas or Kansas St? We had a home and home with both Iowa St and Baylor and I doubt that anyone with a realistic outlook would say we are beyond the point where we should do it again. We've played each of Kansas, Texas, and Oklahoma in home and home men's hoops games and from what I understand the only reason we didn't renew with Kansas (in the 90's) was that they didn't want to agree to equal home and road games. Baylor and K St (on on occasion Okie St) have all been quality teams in recent years as well. We also can fill our non conference schedule (in men's hoops) with former conference mates from the BE.

I doubt that this will move anywhere near as quickly as most want (we want an answer yesterday, we'll be lucky if the B-12 solves the ceding issue by Halloween) but we should know what's going on before the football season ends (which in reality isn't all that long).

Reaction Score
If WVU, UL, UC and TCU go to the Big 12 - it will force Notre Dame's hand. If they decide to stay in the BE, ACC will take UConn and RU. If they decide to go to the ACC we will go with them. If they decide to go to the B1G Rutgers will join them and we would be screwed (unless ACC decides to take us and Villanova???)

Reaction Score
If WVU, UL, UC and TCU go to the Big 12 - it will force Notre Dame's hand. If they decide to stay in the BE, ACC will take UConn and RU. If they decide to go to the ACC we will go with them. If they decide to go to the B1G Rutgers will join them and ACC we would be screwed (unless ACC decides to take us and Villanova???)
If BC is blocking, or at the very least influencing others, to keep us out of the ACC, you don't think they'd get in ND's ear (who they've had a longstanding athletic relationship with) and lobby them to ask for Rutgers to join w/ them instead of UConn?

Reaction Score
The big-12 allows schools to start their own network and thats what a few of those schools are doing if this happens I wonder if we see a regional network of the former big east football schools.
just an idea

Reaction Score
Even if things head in the direction of only 64 teams in four super conferences, there are several teams in the ACC, B12 and BE with less likelihood than UConn of being targeted to be one of the 64.

If it is the Big East that doesn't survive, it will be Big East schools that get left out. Nobody is getting kicked out of the ACC or B12.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
If it is the Big East that doesn't survive, it will be Big East schools that get left out. Nobody is getting kicked out of the ACC or B12.
As things appear today, I couldn't argue with you. But things sometimes evolve in ways that drastically change the landscape. People have proposed possibilities of the ACC and the B12 changing in a manner that could make those conferences vulnerable. A lot of things have yet to take place to say the process of conference configuration is complete. As someone pointed out this is like the game of risk. Sometimes the weak players in that game can negotiate truces until they become strong enough to come out victors.

Reaction Score
If BC is blocking, or at the very least influencing others, to keep us out of the ACC, you don't think they'd get in ND's ear (who they've had a longstanding athletic relationship with) and lobby them to ask for Rutgers to join w/ them instead of UConn?

Between ND, Syracuse and UConn - you've captured the New York market. What does RU bring to the ACC? We are better in every sport than them (including dominant basketball, soccer, field hockey and baseball programs) and our Academic profile has surpassed theirs. What athletic relations does ND have with RU? In basketball and soccer we are one of their biggest rivals. If they want to play at the Meadowlands, I'm sure both SU and UConn would be accommodating.

Reaction Score
Between ND, Syracuse and UConn - you've captured the New York market. What does RU bring to the ACC? We are better in every sport than them (including dominant basketball, soccer, field hockey and baseball programs) and our Academic profile has surpassed theirs. What athletic relations does ND have with RU? In basketball and soccer we are one of their biggest rivals. If they want to play at the Meadowlands, I'm sure both SU and UConn would be accommodating.
It's more about ND's indifference b/w RU and UConn. If they could truly care less which team came with them (of UConn and RU), and their long time "friend" BC had a strong opinion, you could see how it could get there. I have no clue what will happen, just pointing something out.

As for UConn having better overall athletics and academics than RU, same could be said for UConn over SU and Pitt. That didn't seem to have any impact on the ACC's decision.

Reaction Score
It's more about ND's indifference b/w RU and UConn. If they could truly care less which team came with them (of UConn and RU), and their long time "friend" BC had a strong opinion, you could see how it could get there. I have no clue what will happen, just pointing something out.

As for UConn having better overall athletics and academics than RU, same could be said for UConn over SU and Pitt. That didn't seem to have any impact on the ACC's decision.

SU and Pitt have strong basketball programs and tons of football tradition. They might have also been seen as bait for Notre Dame. I agree with you - I dont think Notre Dame will really outline a preference, so certainly BC could lead a charge to block us, but as long as UConn is around ACC will have a thorn in their side in terms of basketball dominance in the region, so that would be a big incentive to add us.

Reaction Score
I continue to think this makes sense for all involved.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=159&f=4582&t=8011338
I still think the ACC makes the most sense but we have to get invited and that hasn't happened. If not, I like the Big 12 (16) as a second choice and the while the BE football schools pulling out together is appealing, things like this tend to be short lived satisfaction. Kansas, K-State and Texas would be great basketball opponents.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I think you are giving BC way to much credit with it's closeness with Notre Dame. I think Notre Dame see's BC as it's little brother and nothing more.

One last thing. If some school in a BCS conference now gets left out you can beat that this will some how become an issue in congress. If the government gets involved God only knows what will happen

Reaction Score

This is the scenario where K and Roy Williams would get pissed off about watering down the basketball side. The football schools would be more than appeased with ND, I doubt the brass at the basketball-first schools in NC would be happy about having to play Rutgers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom