Interesting Opening Day/Week Games | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Interesting Opening Day/Week Games

Reaction Score
Competition level has maybe been suspect, but Madison Conner has been killing it so far for TCU. Thru 3 games averaging 23.7 ppg, shooting 44% from 3, the really surprising thing is 9 rpg. Looks like Adia Barnes was not utilizing her very well in Tucson.
The same could be said about Lemyah Hylton who is at Miami. Scoring double digits and efficient from 3 in the last couple games.

Reaction Score
Stanford looked scary good yesterday. When the pre-season rankings came out, I wondered why Stanford was ranked so low. They appear much better than advertised.

Sort of OT...but when the latest round of expansion was announced, I was thrilled to see Stanford added to the ACC. That is such a proud WCBB program...I'm looking forward to adding Stanford to the annual list of opponents for NC State.
Stanford : NCState logos are to similar

Reaction Score
Lauren Betts transfer from Stanford looks pretty clear right now. Play behind Brink for another year or go to another Top Ten team (UCLA) and start. With the ease of the Portal = no brainer.
And exceptional talent. That helps too.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Yes even I get confused sometimes when looking at ESPN box scores at a distance!
Stanford looked scary good yesterday. When the pre-season rankings came out, I wondered why Stanford was ranked so low. They appear much better than advertised.

Sort of OT...but when the latest round of expansion was announced, I was thrilled to see Stanford added to the ACC. That is such a proud WCBB program...I'm looking forward to adding Stanford to the annual list of opponents for NC State.
Thanks @LETTERL ! While I'm still very sad about the decimation of the PAC-12, if I had to pick a landing spot, the ACC was my first choice, because for basketball, it's just such a great fit, and I do think our emphasis on both athletics and academics is a great fit for the high caliber of ACC schools we'll soon be competing against.

Here's to many years of great rivalries in the All Coasts Conference. ;)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

You might want to hold off on that Stanford lovefest for a bit. If they come in like ND did, and run roughshod over tobacco road... Well i might just have to call up the ACC commissioner and give him an earful.

Reaction Score
Yes even I get confused sometimes when looking at ESPN box scores at a distance!
So, my learned friends, which of you will instruct the ACC office that either Stanford or NC State must change its logo? Maybe an esteemed neutral person such as the Triad could step in here?;):cool::)

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
So, my learned friends, which of you will instruct the ACC office that either Stanford or NC State must change its logo? Maybe an esteemed neutral person such as the Triad could step in here?;):cool::)

hqdefault.jpeg

Get ready for this headache at least once a season!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Tennessee, really? Every year we do this. They're back. They're for real this year. No, they aren't. And probably never will be. They've had a few excellent players every season, but it never adds up to much. Been a long time since CP left. Warlick obviously wasn't the answer, and I think it's pretty clear that neither is Harper. FYI they are currently in OT against Memphis. Who came into the game at 1-1 with a loss by 20 points to Middle Tennessee.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Tennessee, really? Every year we do this. They're back. They're for real this year. No, they aren't. And probably never will be. They've had a few excellent players every season, but it never adds up to much. Been a long time since CP left. Warlick obviously wasn't the answer, and I think it's pretty clear that neither is Harper. FYI they are currently in OT against Memphis. Who came into the game at 1-1 with a loss by 20 points to Middle Tennessee.

Looking at the box score. Jackson didn't play.

Reaction Score
My enjoyment of their needing OT is tempered by discovering that Rickea Jackson didn’t play

Reaction Score
Lady Vols won, but boy was I shocked at how close Memphis played them.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Okay, I'll give the Vols a slight pass. Still a veteran roster with way more talent than their opponent, playing on their home court.

Can Belmont have Destinee Wells back? Looks like Tennessee isn't really using her at all.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Is Le Moyne a real school? I don't recall ever hearing of them before, although apparently they are D1. They have been absolute cannon fodder this year, getting crushed by Colorado St., Colorado, Stony Brook and now USC. Interesting schedule, 2 trips out west with a quick return home inbetween.

Reaction Score
Is Le Moyne a real school? I don't recall ever hearing of them before, although apparently they are D1. They have been absolute cannon fodder this year, getting crushed by Colorado St., Colorado, Stony Brook and now USC. Interesting schedule, 2 trips out west with a quick return home inbetween.
They are indeed a real school, in Dewitt, NY, about a 15 minute drive from my house! Shockingly, I have never been to a game (no offense to the 'Fins), though I often see people out and about wearing Le Moyne apparel quite often. I actually saw a billboard the other day advertising upcoming WBB games! :eek:

However, I will note that they only are Div 1 of 2023; prior to that they were Div 2. Currently they play in the NEC, which is host to powerhouses like CCSU, Sacred Heart, Stonehill, LIU, etc.

EDIT: Their alumni list is pretty interesting.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
However, I will note that they only are Div 1 of 2023; prior to that they were Div 2
Ah, my quick perusal didn't tell me when they moved up. That's why I'd never heard of them. Now I feel a little better. Wow, teams sure were quick to add them to their schedule.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
There are 348 current D1 WBB schools

There are 12 schools that are D1 that are in what the NCAA considers the "transition stage"
I believe a team has to play 4 years in the transition stage period(someone correct me if I am wrong on the time period), before it can be considered for the NCAA Tournament. These teams can play in the WNIT tournament, if qualified or invited.

These are the 12 teams in transition stage.

Utah Tech (WAC)
Tex. A&M-Commerce (Southland)
St. Thomas (MN) (Summit League)
Lindenwood (OVC)
Southern Ind. (OVC)
Tarleton St. (WAC)
UC San Diego (Big West)
Bellarmine (ASUN)
Stonehill (NEC)
Queens (NC) (ASUN)
Merrimack (NEC)
Le Moyne (NEC)

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
A Pac 12 team will have to lose a game eventually. Utah in danger of becoming that team @ Baylor. It's close, but they've been trailing pretty much the whole way I think. They looked not really ready to play at the beginning of the game. Dre Edwards looked like she was gonna put up 40 or 50 on her former team, although that seems like almost a decade ago. I'm pretty sure there's nobody left there that was teammates with her. Anyway she calmed down after an opening flurry the first 5 minutes or so. Also Pili got 2 fouls in about a minute at the start and sat almost the whole first half.

Reaction Score
A Pac 12 team will have to lose a game eventually. Utah in danger of becoming that team @ Baylor. It's close, but they've been trailing pretty much the whole way I think. They looked not really ready to play at the beginning of the game. Dre Edwards looked like she was gonna put up 40 or 50 on her former team, although that seems like almost a decade ago. I'm pretty sure there's nobody left there that was teammates with her. Anyway she calmed down after an opening flurry the first 5 minutes or so. Also Pili got 2 fouls in about a minute at the start and sat almost the whole first half.
I forgot she played for Utah back in 2018-19. She has to be 23 or 24 years old by now!

I thought Baylor was underranked to open the season, with Edwards and Blackwell returning. Edwards is a huge addition because she has so much college basketball experience and has been around the game for 6 seasons now. Now that’s a player who has experience and familiarity with college hoops.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom