Interesting Opening Day/Week Games | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Interesting Opening Day/Week Games

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
They invested more than the $300K you mention. The group behind it also had a new court built specifically for this event. Not cheap when they have used an existing one. I'm assuming the city put their best foot forward in the hopes of landing larger events down the road. The end result was amazing to see. They deserve a chance at hosting conference tournaments and the sooner the better .

hey hey hey now

Reaction Score
I'm curious to see how the eight newcomers mix with the returning veterans for NC State vs. UCONN. Saniya Rivers said in pre-season she plans to serve in more of a leadership role this year and we'll need it early.
Rivers is such a nice person and always one of the most athletic players on the court. She still can’t shoot a lick though. Coming out of HS I really thought she was going to light up the college ranks. Still a very good player and a great slasher and defender, but she still struggles shooting the ball for some reason.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Competition level has maybe been suspect, but Madison Conner has been killing it so far for TCU. Thru 3 games averaging 23.7 ppg, shooting 44% from 3, the really surprising thing is 9 rpg. Looks like Adia Barnes was not utilizing her very well in Tucson.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
NC STATE. Oh my :eek:

@LETTERL

20221214_114241.jpg

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
The beauty of college sports. Players come and go, but sometimes it just opens up opportunities for other players to step forward. Some teams that suffered heavy losses of personnel from last year don't appear to be looking back at all, in fact they might be better. South Carolina, NC State and Stanford all fitting in that category early on.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Worth noting Van Lith has 16 assists thru 3 games. For her naysayers who question her ability to run the point, it appears she is making an effort.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I think Stanford just had too many players last year. Tara tried to get all of them on the court. Roles and rotations probably never really got settled. Also I think some of the veterans didn't improve as their careers continued, several of them probably peaked as sophs.

This year the front court is Brink and Iriafen. That's it. Don't need to try to shuffle 5 or 6 players around. They combined for 40 pts/28 reb/5 blocks today. Totally dominated Holmes, one of the best post players in the Big 10.

Bosgana should get more minutes this year. She looks good. And Agara and Clardy are a pair of Fr. who look ready to contribute right away.

Jump looks much more comfortable attacking off the dribble. She's much more than just a 3 point shooter now.

Reaction Score
I think Stanford just had too many players last year. Tara tried to get all of them on the court. Roles and rotations probably never really got settled. Also I think some of the veterans didn't improve as their careers continued, several of them probably peaked as sophs.

This year the front court is Brink and Iriafen. That's it. Don't need to try to shuffle 5 or 6 players around. They combined for 40 pts/28 reb/5 blocks today. Totally dominated Holmes, one of the best post players in the Big 10.

Bosgana should get more minutes this year. She looks good. And Agara and Clardy are a pair of Fr. who look ready to contribute right away.

Jump looks much more comfortable attacking off the dribble. She's much more than just a 3 point shooter now.
Iriafen looked great against South Carolina last season and apparently did little after. Could not figure that out.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Iriafen looked great against South Carolina last season and apparently did little after. Could not figure that out.
Yeah early in the year I thought she was the second coming of the Ogwumikes. Then she more or less disappeared as the season continued. I couldn't figure it out either.

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
Yeah early in the year I thought she was the second coming of the Ogwumikes. Then she more or less disappeared as the season continued. I couldn't figure it out either.
I think it was largely a confidence thing. This year she's a year stronger and more skillful, plus the team is united with everyone supporting each other.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Davidson put up a heck of a fight but came up just short at North Carolina. I really like Utsby, does a little bit of everything for the Heels. Been a fan her whole career.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Does that imply there was a bit of dissension among the team last year?
There were rumblings that some players were dissatisfied and the new NIL opportunities were leading to both distractions and a bit of interpersonal contretemps. I truly mean this when I say I wish Lauren Betts all the best, but I get the strong sense that she was not a good fit and everything I've seen from her mother on social media (and our fan board) makes me grateful that both she and we have found sunnier pastures.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Rivers is such a nice person and always one of the most athletic players on the court. She still can’t shoot a lick though. Coming out of HS I really thought she was going to light up the college ranks. Still a very good player and a great slasher and defender, but she still struggles shooting the ball for some reason.

I thought Rivers last year had star potential. I actually think she is at worst the second best WNBA prospect in the ACC regardless of Class.

Reaction Score
I thought Rivers last year had star potential. I actually think she is at worst the second best WNBA prospect in the ACC regardless of Class.
I agree with this, her upside is incredible. She is physically gifted. Is Miles your first? She’d be mine.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Competition level has maybe been suspect, but Madison Conner has been killing it so far for TCU. Thru 3 games averaging 23.7 ppg, shooting 44% from 3, the really surprising thing is 9 rpg. Looks like Adia Barnes was not utilizing her very well in Tucson.
Conner was really very talented, I'm not surprised. Very popular as well. She had no chance to start when she was with Arizona, so she was used as a sub primarily to rescue with 3 point shots off the bench. As noted, Adia has never quite gotten the player management piece of it, although she is getting better I think.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Stanford looked scary good yesterday. When the pre-season rankings came out, I wondered why Stanford was ranked so low. They appear much better than advertised.

Sort of OT...but when the latest round of expansion was announced, I was thrilled to see Stanford added to the ACC. That is such a proud WCBB program...I'm looking forward to adding Stanford to the annual list of opponents for NC State.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom