Interesting commentary from DeLeone on N. Williams and M Nebrich | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Interesting commentary from DeLeone on N. Williams and M Nebrich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://7220report.com/2011/08/16/by-the-numbers-true-freshman-quarterbacks/
"how have true freshman starting quaterbacks fared the past few seasons in college football?
These stats were accumilated from the official NCAA website for the 2009 and 2010 seasons and here is how the numbers look:"

Fair analysis if that's the list. Some of these guys have very low yardage so I looked up Wenning. He had about 2/3's of their yardage and Pass Efficiency Rating of 111.3 for the year. He was I thought a generally low performer for the group shown above given the yardage. JMc's passing efficiency rating to date is 113. Also, looked to see if the freshman is still playing this year. Low and behold, a year of experience has helped Wenning. Has PER of 125.3, 2,478 yards passing, 17 TD's and 9 Int so far this year.
How about a lits of RS Junior walkons who have not played a meaningful snap their 1st 3 years and start their 4th year and see how they do as a group? Make sure you show only those who ran the scout team all three of those years. Would like to see that list. Talk about MN not having played against anyone but high school kids, JMc had not played in a game (well maybe a snap here or there) with refs, against an opponent who is not his teammate since 2007. And those guys in 2007 were high school kids.

Reaction Score
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2011-2012/teamcume.html#TEAM.IND
i got them from UConn's website, which are the same stats as CBS. like i said earlier, i think stats are overrated, but the numbers are what they are. he had 27 positive yards rushing minus 20 negative yards rushing. voila 7 yards on 6 carries. i don't want to come off like i'm against Nebrich b/c aside from Grant i was probably his biggest fan as a recruit, but nothing's happened on the field to indicate he's any better than our other options at this point in time.

to be honest, McEntee's production at QB has been in the ballpark of what we've gotten from any of our QBs over the last few years. we'd all like it to be better of course, and some times he really blows what should be an easy play, but i'm used to that from years of watching (insert name of any UConn QB since DanO). i think the bright side is that we're getting it from someone that was never intended to see the field, and we have some young options that look to push him for time next season.

Wow some of you in-the-know fans amaze me. Palantine is at least clsoer to correct than most because one thing is for sure the Huskies would have at least as many wins as they do now if Neibrich were QB. McEntee is putrid, simply put. I have run into UConn fans everywhere - at the Cuse game, at the golf course, at work and besides the Boneyard I have never heard a good thing about this kid other than the fact he is a nice kid (and that means something). But he's not even close to the "fair" QB's of recent past such as Endres, Frazier and others, not close. He might be smart based on his veteranship on the playbook and that does count for something I guess, especially with the staff. But he's really unathletic, hardly throws moving into the pass as he's always scared (admittedly makes good throws when he does but it's too rare) and is real lucky DB's and LB's can't catch or he'd be running away with that national title of interceptions. I'mnot an expert and sholdnt have been hired any faster than Palantine - but it's obvious Johnny Mac is not the Qb of now or the future and if he is the Huskies are in deep doo doo!!! I think they're looking at a possible bowl with either Neibrich or McCummings having played the majority as the offense hasn't won any games except maybe McCombs. How can anyone see improvement - it's impossible to find it!!??

Reaction Score
Why don't they have Mac throw out of the shotgun more often? As far as McCummings, he seems to have a chronic problem putting the ball on the ground at too high a rate yet for him to be getting 50-60 snaps a game.

Reaction Score
Wow some of you in-the-know fans amaze me. Palantine is at least clsoer to correct than most because one thing is for sure the Huskies would have at least as many wins as they do now if Neibrich were QB. McEntee is putrid, simply put. I have run into UConn fans everywhere - at the Cuse game, at the golf course, at work and besides the Boneyard I have never heard a good thing about this kid other than the fact he is a nice kid (and that means something). But he's not even close to the "fair" QB's of recent past such as Endres, Frazier and others, not close. He might be smart based on his veteranship on the playbook and that does count for something I guess, especially with the staff. But he's really unathletic, hardly throws moving into the pass as he's always scared (admittedly makes good throws when he does but it's too rare) and is real lucky DB's and LB's can't catch or he'd be running away with that national title of interceptions. I'mnot an expert and sholdnt have been hired any faster than Palantine - but it's obvious Johnny Mac is not the Qb of now or the future and if he is the Huskies are in deep doo doo!!! I think they're looking at a possible bowl with either Neibrich or McCummings having played the majority as the offense hasn't won any games except maybe McCombs. How can anyone see improvement - it's impossible to find it!!??

You're either extremely ignorant or just love taking a dump on Mcentee

Reaction Score
IMHO, we've needed to make a change at WR coach for years now. I've always been frustrated that the one position we've struggled most with is WR. They don't get separation, create space, or develop during their time here. Easley is an outlier, and he sat on the bench for the bulk of his time here. I really do hope PP and GD look to make a change here during the off season. We kill our QB's , but Zach, Cody, and even JMc have been victimiszed by a lot of dropped passes, as well as WR's not getting open. Just my opinion.

Reaction Score
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2011-2012/teamcume.html#TEAM.IND
i got them from UConn's website, which are the same stats as CBS. like i said earlier, i think stats are overrated, but the numbers are what they are. he had 27 positive yards rushing minus 20 negative yards rushing. voila 7 yards on 6 carries. i don't want to come off like i'm against Nebrich b/c aside from Grant i was probably his biggest fan as a recruit, but nothing's happened on the field to indicate he's any better than our other options at this point in time.

to be honest, McEntee's production at QB has been in the ballpark of what we've gotten from any of our QBs over the last few years. we'd all like it to be better of course, and some times he really blows what should be an easy play, but i'm used to that from years of watching (insert name of any UConn QB since DanO). i think the bright side is that we're getting it from someone that was never intended to see the field, and we have some young options that look to push him for time next season.
Then you should also have pointed out that so far McEntee has gained 72 yards rushing and lost 170 yards rushing on 47 attempts, for a total of minus 98 yards rushing.

Reaction Score
You're either extremely ignorant or just love taking a dump on Mcentee

I guess there is no option for, is correct. JMc is not a Div 1, never mind BCS level QB, is not athletic and has thrown many passes that defenders have flat out dropped. So JMc is the QB for next year? I sure hope not.

Reaction Score
But he's not even close to the "fair" QB's of recent past such as Endres, Frazier and others, not close. quote].

i don't care how many uconn fans youve run into or what they thought of anybody, but McEntee has averaged 168 passing yards/game compeleting 52% of his passes with 1.5 TDs/IN with 6.4 yds/attempt. if you don't think that's in the same ballpark as the production we've gotten over the last 5 years i suggest you spend less time talking to other fans and more time watching games. i never said McEntee was as good as Endres or anyone else, i said he was about as productive, and he was, and he did it without Donald Brown, Todman or Dixon to hand off too. McCombs is good, but he's not those guys yet

Reaction Score
Then you should also have pointed out that so far McEntee has gained 72 yards rushing and lost 170 yards rushing on 47 attempts, for a total of minus 98 yards rushing.

why would i point that out? i never said McEntee can run the ball. he's averaging -2 yards/attempt. he's not mobile. we all know this. you're the one that said Nebrich was light years ahead of McEntee which is just fiction.

Reaction Score
IMHO, we've needed to make a change at WR coach for years now. I've always been frustrated that the one position we've struggled most with is WR. They don't get separation, create space, or develop during their time here. Easley is an outlier, and he sat on the bench for the bulk of his time here. I really do hope PP and GD look to make a change here during the off season. We kill our QB's , but Zach, Cody, and even JMc have been victimiszed by a lot of dropped passes, as well as WR's not getting open. Just my opinion.

WRs have been our biggest issue by far. i think we're recruiting good ones, they're just not developing. does anyone know who our WR coach was in the DanO years? it seems odd that we got so much production out of Keron Henry, Feldheisen, ONeill Wilson, etcetera, but can't get squat out of the Moores, Williams and company now. even Kanuch seemed to get worse every year (even accounting for the injuries he seemed to regress). the one great WR we've had didnt' really get to show his stuff off until halfway through his senior year. i know that players seem to like Coach Sos, but there's obviously some kind of deficency in how we develop WRs

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
i don't care how many uconn fans youve run into or what they thought of anybody, but McEntee has averaged 168 passing yards/game compeleting 52% of his passes with 1.5 TDs/IN with 6.4 yds/attempt. if you don't think that's in the same ballpark as the production we've gotten over the last 5 years i suggest you spend less time talking to other fans and more time watching games.

I can't agree, matt. You cite stats to make your case than you end by using the eye test. JMac is far behind the others using the eye test. And from watching the games in person where you can see the whole field, JMac has had many, many more open recievers to throw to than his predecessors. And I don't think it's much of a surprise that the recievers looked better when we had a top flight QB.

Reaction Score
all i said was that for all of McEntee's shortcomings, he's produced about the same as any of the other QBs we've had lately, and i stand by that. it's not like the bar was set very high. i said it was a reason to be optimistic because i think that speaks more for our improved playcalling. i think if we still had Frazer or Endres we'd have well over 2000 yards passing by now. i never said McEntee was as good as our past QBs, only that he's been as productive.

Reaction Score
hey folks, there's a game in 48 hours. Our team needs to be consistent. That means every player from the QB to the Strong Safety to the place kicking unit.

Our problem at QB is simple. Consistency. McEntee, when he's on, looks a lot better than any QB we've had out there in a long time. The drive to open up the second half in Morgantown was a thing of beauty, right up to the point where he tried to do too much and lost the ball.

In the second half against Cuse, he had it going again.

I don't know what he needs to get it going in the first half, and stay consistent for a full game, maybe an Espresso or something, or maybe somebody needs to give him a real good head butt or something to get the ass in gear, I don't know. Maybe he's got a little too much California in him and doesn't wake up until 4 oclook in the afternoon. Whatever it is, we need the best of what he's capable of for four quarters and it starts at 12:00, not 3:30pm.

So, I hope he finds a way to kick that play into gear and keep it consistent for a four quarters.

THe kid starts to do that, and play well CONSISTENTLY, and there's nothing to talk about except post season travel plans.

And you can insert any one of our players names into that last sentence for "kid".

We start doing what we're capable of consistently for four quarters as a team, and things are going to be just fine.

Reaction Score
JM throws the ball a little better than Zach did. Better at some throws, not as good at others, but as a thrower he is as good to slightly better. Zach was far, far superior to JM at the decision making and moving in pocket prior to throwing the ball. And I didn't think Zach was particularly good at those aspects.

But I agree with Carl. It is what it is, and where we are is 12 good quarters from defending our conference championship. All I need from JM Saturday is turnover free football. I don't need him to turn into an average Big East QB.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
WRs have been our biggest issue by far. i think we're recruiting good ones, they're just not developing. does anyone know who our WR coach was in the DanO years? it seems odd that we got so much production out of Keron Henry, Feldheisen, ONeill Wilson, etcetera, but can't get squat out of the Moores, Williams and company now. even Kanuch seemed to get worse every year (even accounting for the injuries he seemed to regress). the one great WR we've had didnt' really get to show his stuff off until halfway through his senior year. i know that players seem to like Coach Sos, but there's obviously some kind of deficency in how we develop WRs
I think you're under rating the talent we had at WR during the DanO years... both Keron Henry and O'Neil Wilson went on to pro careers. Heck, Wilson is still in the CFL.... The funny thing is before he came to UConn Coach Moorhead was known for producing some great WRs... and very productive WRs. I do think we've been snakebit at WR and QB... we've had a lot of injuries at both positions. Particularly at QB over the last three years. That can't help the situation out at all.

Reaction Score
JM throws the ball a little better than Zach did. Better at some throws, not as good at others, but as a thrower he is as good to slightly better. Zach was far, far superior to JM at the decision making and moving in pocket prior to throwing the ball. And I didn't think Zach was particularly good at those aspects.

But I agree with Carl. It is what it is, and where we are is 12 good quarters from defending our conference championship. All I need from JM Saturday is turnover free football. I don't need him to turn into an average Big East QB.
I know you've been to more games than I have this year but I really don't think McEntee is a better passer than Zack was, McEntee has big problems throwing short passes into the flat in that they are almost always into the grass, and he has bigger problems with accuracy in throwing to receivers running lateral routes across the field, either they're behind or way out in front and get picked off. If he has time to throw and no pressure he's a little better but not much. Add to that his running ability is zero so QB draw plays are out of the question, he can't scramble and if he does he also has problems throwing off of his heals so even play action is a crapshoot. The only thing he can do well is throw straight down the field or deep routs down either sideline and that's only if he has time. Bottom line is defensive coordinators love him.

Reaction Score
Mac can throw three passes.

An 8-yard button hook to Griffin.
A 12-yard down and in to I. Moore.
A 9-yard square out to K. Moore

He has shown some consistency with those three routes. The rest is pretty chancy. Not exactly the stuff of nightmares for defensive coordinators.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Then run him on an end around. Throw him a bubble screen. Put him in the backfield and have him run an out to the corner (SF did this with Crabtree on the two-point conversion Last Sunday). None of those involves running complex routes.

If if he didn't get it. How did he win the Buffalo game when none of the other receivers did squat.? Explain that?

I agree with her completely with you on this.

Reaction Score
Completely disagree. Frazer's upper body throwing motion was closer to ideally throwing motion of a shotput, rather than a football. He threw high velocity knuckleballs, and couldn't hit the side of a barn when he tried to do anything else but throw a ball on a frozen rope. He had a great lower body and footwork though, and could reset and throw if he got knocked out of his rhythm. Never ceased to amaze me how much force he could get behind those knuckleballs he threw.

McEntee is the textbook definition of a rhythym passer. This guy can spin the ball, and thread a needle anywhere on the field, and change velocities, arcs on the ball, if, HUGE IF, he's able to drop back, step and throw without getting his lower body and footwork disturbed. see you tube video. He gets inconsistent when his rhythym with the lower body is disturbed, and needs to make good decisions when he's not able to throw in rhythym. He's lost if he's throwing off his back foot, or having to throw on the run, but he's gotten a lot better at moving around, and then resetting if he's got time, and then throwing.

Johnny Mac's got to read the field, know the defense, know the offense, make a good decision and let the ball fly fast out of his hands. A ball that comes out in 2 seconds post snap and flies over the bench, is better for this guy than holding it 4 seconds and trying to make something happen out of nothing. Live to play the next play, and get the rhythym going of getting the snap, and letting it fly - FAST.

That's this man's opinion.

Reaction Score
If the offensive line dominates scrimmage on Saturday, I think you'll see McEntee have a good game. That's what I hope to see. The offensive line needs to control scrimmage, and it's easier for McEntee to get into rhythym and make good decisions.

Reaction Score
Completely disagree. Frazer's upper body throwing motion was closer to ideally throwing motion of a shotput, rather than a football. He threw high velocity knuckleballs, and couldn't hit the side of a barn when he tried to do anything else but throw a ball on a frozen rope. He had a great lower body and footwork though, and could reset and throw if he got knocked out of his rhythm. Never ceased to amaze me how much force he could get behind those knuckleballs he threw.

McEntee is the textbook definition of a rhythym passer. This guy can spin the ball, and thread a needle anywhere on the field, and change velocities, arcs on the ball, if, HUGE IF, he's able to drop back, step and throw without getting his lower body and footwork disturbed. see you tube video. He gets inconsistent when his rhythym with the lower body is disturbed, and needs to make good decisions when he's not able to throw in rhythym. He's lost if he's throwing off his back foot, or having to throw on the run, but he's gotten a lot better at moving around, and then resetting if he's got time, and then throwing.

Johnny Mac's got to read the field, know the defense, know the offense, make a good decision and let the ball fly fast out of his hands. A ball that comes out in 2 seconds post snap and flies over the bench, is better for this guy than holding it 4 seconds and trying to make something happen out of nothing. Live to play the next play, and get the rhythym going of getting the snap, and letting it fly - FAST.

What you are saying is that if you needed a QB to shoot a YouTube trick passing video (hopefully with no mean defensive lineman included) you'd pick JMc hands down over Zach.

Reaction Score

This man's opinion is McEntee should be playing at Marist, not at UCONN. He's in way over his head more often than not, and what's worse is the defenses know it.

Reaction Score
What you are saying is that if you needed a QB to shoot a YouTube trick passing video (hopefully with no mean defensive lineman included) you'd pick JMc hands down over Zach.

Yup. and if I could play 6 million dollar bionic man, I'd put together individual pieces and parts of the brains, hearts, legs, hips, arms, upper body's, eyes, hands and feet and lower body's from the 3 QB's we've got now, and several of the ones we've had recently.

Be real nice to have it all in one package. I'm not so sure we don't have it right now, but the kid is jsut 18 years old and trying to grow into a body and develop the brain.

Reaction Score
This man's opinion is McEntee should be playing at Marist, not at UCONN. He's in way over his head more often than not, and what's worse is the defenses know it.

Well, too bad for you then that McEntee actually does play for UConn, and will play Saturday. I hope you're not at the game Saturday. High level sports always attracts energy suckers, and football is the highest level of energy. Energy is what it's all about. Experiencing it, contributing to it is what makes it great. Energy suckers are the worst though, they just come to suck. Stop sucking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom