interesting article on Brittney Griner | The Boneyard

interesting article on Brittney Griner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
On loving broken women and Brittney Griner

supplies a far more appreciative view of her struggles than the public usually sees, and, once again, Baylor doesn't look so good:
what she describes as an anti-homosexuality stance of Baylor University that forced her into a closet she didn't want to be in

I'm sure Baylor is not alone, but schools that have theological underpinnings are especially caught in conflicting values.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I'm sure Baylor is not alone, but schools that have theological underpinnings are especially caught in conflicting values.

True. They either come across as oppressive, or in some more relaxed mode appear to be hypocrits who write one set of rules and follow another if it suits their situation.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I don't think UConn fully supports the "Griner types"... I don't believe Dolson just turned on the switch. Banks (hasnt come out) but never looked comfy in a dress and heels. How about Samarie and why she left UConn... did the CD dress code bother her as well?

Reaction Score
As nice as it would be if one of the major conferences would have UConn, the concept of UConn joining the Big 12 is sort of like thinking New Zealand should join NATO.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

supplies a far more appreciative view of her struggles than the public usually sees, and, once again, Baylor doesn't look so good:
what she describes as an anti-homosexuality stance of Baylor University that forced her into a closet she didn't want to be in

No, it doesn't make Baylor look good....but honestly, Griner should have done a lot more research on the school/area if she was openly LGBT and considering at different schools. It doesn't take more than a 2 minute search to discover Baylor is one of the nation's most anti-LGBT schools, so for her to be surprised that the school didn't have an LGBT Center, that being openly LGBT might be frowned upon or discouraged, etc. is naive on her part. Yes, the fundamental issue is that she shouldn't be forced into a closet or feel that she has to hide her sexuality, but at the same time, she should have been aware of her surroundings and researched what she was getting herself into.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I don't think UConn fully supports the "Griner types"... I don't believe Dolson just turned on the switch. Banks (hasnt come out) but never looked comfy in a dress and heels. How about Samarie and why she left UConn... did the CD dress code bother her as well?
Wow, stereotype much? What do you think lesbians wear, exactly?

Reaction Score
No, it doesn't make Baylor look good....but honestly, Griner should have done a lot more research on the school/area if she was openly LGBT and considering at different schools. It doesn't take more than a 2 minute search to discover Baylor is one of the nation's most anti-LGBT schools, so for her to be surprised that the school didn't have an LGBT Center, that being openly LGBT might be frowned upon or discouraged, etc. is naive on her part. Yes, the fundamental issue is that she shouldn't be forced into a closet or feel that she has to hide her sexuality, but at the same time, she should have been aware of her surroundings and researched what she was getting herself into.
I think you're a bit hard on her. She's young, she thinks she hears assurances whether implicit or explicit, maybe she's too shy to be explicit in her questions, maybe she really doesn't even fully know what she wants yet. I certainly agree with you about Baylor. But even so, Baylor is caught between a lot of conflicting interests here. We can/should call Baylor out for this, because it's an institution and institutions need to lead. But I think compassion is due to all sides: we're in the middle of a completely unprecedented and historic shift in values and gender identity. 25 years ago, this public discussion would have been all but impossible. Progress is extraordinarily rapid, like the Berlin Wall falling. We will never go back to the "bad old days" but we're still far from where we are going to get, and lots of individuals, institutions, and theologies are still struggling to adjust.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think you're a bit hard on her. She's young, she thinks she hears assurances whether implicit or explicit, maybe she's too shy to be explicit in her questions, maybe she really doesn't even fully know what she wants yet. I certainly agree with you about Baylor. But even so, Baylor is caught between a lot of conflicting interests here. We can/should call Baylor out for this, because it's an institution and institutions need to lead. But I think compassion is due to all sides: we're in the middle of a completely unprecedented and historic shift in values and gender identity. 25 years ago, this public discussion would have been all but impossible. Progress is extraordinarily rapid, like the Berlin Wall falling. We will never go back to the "bad old days" but we're still far from where we are going to get, and lots of individuals, institutions, and theologies are still struggling to adjust.

You're probably right and make some good points. I'd still expect her to have an inkling that LGBT life at Baylor isn't going to be as ideal as it is at other schools.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Wow, stereotype much? What do you think lesbians wear, exactly?

Exactly. We have no idea when Stef realized who she was, and for the record, I only have 2 dresses in my closet and always hope that either will be acceptable at any event. I am most comfortable in t-shirts and shorts or jeans, flip flops, sneakers. I have more sneakers in my closet than any other shoe combined. And, I've been a happy married hetero for 14+ years. Please let's not assume anything about anyone based on appearances alone. If I did that, I would have been incredibly wrong and embarrassed when meeting a number of acquaintances over the last few years.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Exactly. We have no idea when Stef realized who she was, and for the record, I only have 2 dresses in my closet and always hope that either will be acceptable at any event. I am most comfortable in t-shirts and shorts or jeans, flip flops, sneakers. I have more sneakers in my closet than any other shoe combined. And, I've been a happy married hetero for 14+ years. Please let's not assume anything about anyone based on appearances alone. If I did that, I would have been incredibly wrong and embarrassed when meeting a number of acquaintances over the last few years.
I spent 17 years doing field audits at motion picture theatres, and over that time met a number of managers who did not hide that they were gay (obviously, I likewise met a number that did not hide that they were straight, and a very much greater number that I knew absolutely nothing about their personal life at all). I can think of no characterization that applied to all the straight or all the gay folks.

Very important in that line of work not to stereotype from appearance or any other reason. The most innocent looking and apparently well-to-do person could turn out to be a thief and the manager that acted suspicious could turn out just to be uncomfortable being scrutinized.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Griner was naive. She told Mulkey that she was gay and asked if that would be a problem. Mulkey said no, and I'm sure to Mulkey it was not. But what Mulkey failed to say was that to the university it was.

However, Griner's dad, who was very controlling, basically told her that she could play for Kim or Pat, and she chose to stay closer to home. Griner committed very early, not as a senior in high school like many do now. At the time she committed to Baylor she simply wasn't mature enough to know the impact that her decision would have on her life as a lesbian. Most gay kids of that age cannot recognize what the world is going to be like as a gay person once they leave the comforts and protections of home.

Last edited:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

It is too bad that this is the item that this article inspires people to talk about. This article was very well written and explains the struggles that Griner, and countless other gay men and women encounter in their lives. For those who have never had to deal with "coming out" you cannot possibly imagine the inner struggles that you deal with for years and years before you get the courage to tell even those who love you the most that you are gay in fear of losing their love. And let me tell you, I know many who have come out to their families and have gone through hell.

I hope that this article inspires a more compassionate conversation of what gay youth, and many adults, go through in their struggle to love themselves and trust that others can love them for who they are.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
As nice as it would be if one of the major conferences would have UConn, the concept of UConn joining the Big 12 is sort of like thinking New Zealand should join NATO.

Well, that was relevant to this conversation.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
You're probably right and make some good points. I'd still expect her to have an inkling that LGBT life at Baylor isn't going to be as ideal as it is at other schools.

Maybe she just thought it would be the same, or even better, since Christians love everyone equally.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

Your ignorance on this is astounding. What evidence do you have that UCONN is not supportive of he players? Plus did you just out a player who has made no public acknowledgements or statements regarding their sexuality. WTG, DC.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score

Wow anyone else you wish to "out"?Or anyone else you think you should "out"? Or anyone else you wish to speculate on?

Reaction Score
Every time I see them at Home Depot they are wearing flannel. And all of the gay men are wearing pink shirts.
Next time I go to Home Depot I will check who are wearing flannel and pink shirts....

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Maybe I'll wear a pink flannel shirt, and make everybody wonder.....;):p:rolleyes:

One thing I won't wonder about is your self-confidence! Anybody who wears pink flannel is pretty daggone sure of themselves!:D

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I used to wear pink Oxford cloth button down shirts. My sister in law thanked me saying she had been trying to get my younger brother to wear the same. I always thought they looked good with chinos and a blazer with ot without a tie.

T

TroyHouse66

ChicGG-
<<Maybe I'll wear a pink flannel shirt, and make everybody wonder.....>>

Nay, Laddie
Gay over ta the Hoom Depot in yer wee Highlan' kilt an sporran...
Make em all wunder!

[At the extreme end, you could always turn your experiment into an expose (that's ex-po-ZA') for you non-Francophiles)]

Serious note:
Kudos to you Stef...
You have always seemed to lead the purple & passionate...
Your May 23rd ESPN essay was an EXCELLENT articulation.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
ChicGG-
<<Maybe I'll wear a pink flannel shirt, and make everybody wonder.....>>

Nay, Laddie
Gay over ta the Hoom Depot in yer wee Highlan' kilt an sporran...
Make em all wunder!

[At the extreme end, you could always turn your experiment into an expose (that's ex-po-ZA') for you non-Francophiles)]

Serious note:
Kudos to you Stef...
You have always seemed to lead the purple & passionate...
Your May 23rd ESPN essay was an EXCELLENT articulation.

An aside....this lassie does have a clan tartan, but no sporran. A dirk in the sock, well, that would be telling...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom