interesting article on Brittney Griner | Page 2 | The Boneyard

interesting article on Brittney Griner

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TroyHouse66

An aside....this lassie does have a clan tartan, but no sporran. A dirk in the sock, well, that would be telling...

Ah, Lassie
Do pardon me...
I dinna ken between laddie 'n lassie... only between Highlanders and Gillies
[An' trust not a Campbell.. they fought on BOTH sides in the '45]
Dinna carry a dirk... get a real sgian dubh .. ask for a "skeen-dew"

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Ah, Lassie
Do pardon me...
I dinna ken between laddie 'n lassie... only between Highlanders and Gillies
[An' trust not a Campbell.. they fought on BOTH sides in the '45]
Dinna carry a dirk... get a real sgian dubh .. ask for a "skeen-dew"

My brother has the whole rig, and my nephew ( clan-sub chief of another clan) got married in his kit. They have the long knives....and none of us a Campbell! Great-Auntie Maisie brought heather down from the highlands for my sister-in-law's bookay when my brother and sister-in-law were married in that Sassanach town of Epsom many years ago...with luck I will be going to the Highlands this fall for a wee visit! To see Blair Athol, seat of the Murrays of Athol.

Reaction Score
I used to wear pink Oxford cloth button down shirts. My sister in law thanked me saying she had been trying to get my younger brother to wear the same. I always thought they looked good with chinos and a blazer with ot without a tie.
Pink oxford button-down with striped Brooks Brothers tie & blue blazer is classic CT/blue blood conservative sportswear. No straight male should have any insecurity about wearing that pink shirt. (Matching pink socks might be a little gauche, but not 'gay'. Although I probably won't be dressing in pink to go to Home Depot now :D ).

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
My brother has the whole rig, and my nephew ( clan-sub chief of another clan) got married in his kit. They have the long knives....and none of us a Campbell! Great-Auntie Maisie brought heather down from the highlands for my sister-in-law's bookay when my brother and sister-in-law were married in that Sassanach town of Epsom many years ago...with luck I will be going to the Highlands this fall for a wee visit! To see Blair Athol, seat of the Murrays of Athol.
I've been researching my Scots-Irish ancestors' genealogy with little luck. No wonder; Thomas Smyth b. 1812 married Bessie Moody and his son, Hugh Smyth b. 1836 married Martha Brown. Smyth and Brown! Does it get any harder than that?

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I don't think UConn fully supports the "Griner types"... I don't believe Dolson just turned on the switch. Banks (hasnt come out) but never looked comfy in a dress and heels. How about Samarie and why she left UConn... did the CD dress code bother her as well?

A very sad post as I see it, small words, vacuous thoughts, providing no wisdom or insight.

"Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.”
Socrates"

Reaction Score
I don't think UConn fully supports the "Griner types"... I don't believe Dolson just turned on the switch. Banks (hasnt come out) but never looked comfy in a dress and heels. How about Samarie and why she left UConn... did the CD dress code bother her as well?

Wow! Is this post part of the nomination process for the Darwin Awards?

Reaction Score
[QUOTE=""Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.”
Socrates"[/QUOTE]
This quotation has been attributed to just about everyone under the sun, including Socrates, but of course Socrates never wrote anything down. Plato wrote what he "heard" Socrates say and the later dialogues which quote Socrates are completely Plato's words. I've never come across this in Plato and can't find a specific reference to it in the Platonic dialogues. Almost certainly 19th or 20th CE folk wisdom attributed upward to Socrates (and others).

Reaction Score
"Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.”
Socrates"

70% of all human conversation, including that on sports forums, is about people - otherwise called gossip. No reason to expect any difference here.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
[QUOTE=""Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.”
Socrates"
This quotation has been attributed to just about everyone under the sun, including Socrates, but of course Socrates never wrote anything down. Plato wrote what he "heard" Socrates say and the later dialogues which quote Socrates are completely Plato's words. I've never come across this in Plato and can't find a specific reference to it in the Platonic dialogues. Almost certainly 19th or 20th CE folk wisdom attributed upward to Socrates (and others).[/QUOTE]

I thought he was a good choice...but you seem better informed.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
70% of all human conversation, including that on sports forums, is about people - otherwise called gossip. No reason to expect any difference here.

Seventy per cent!!!I did not know that. I guess I am out of step again.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
I've been researching my Scots-Irish ancestors' genealogy with little luck. No wonder; Thomas Smyth b. 1812 married Bessie Moody and his son, Hugh Smyth b. 1836 married Martha Brown. Smyth and Brown! Does it get any harder than that?

One of the most amazing artifacts I have seen in a long time is my sister-in-laws copy of the family bible. The first entries are back in the late 1600's, and trace every birth, death and marriage of the main line of the family. As someone who would love to do geneology, I was staggered. Not just the information, but looking at the handwriting of generations long past. I only wish my family had done the same. But it gives me a spur to move forward. The Scottish side will be easier than the Swedish side....since I don't speak Swedish.

Reaction Score
This quotation has been attributed to just about everyone under the sun, including Socrates, but of course Socrates never wrote anything down. Plato wrote what he "heard" Socrates say and the later dialogues which quote Socrates are completely Plato's words. I've never come across this in Plato and can't find a specific reference to it in the Platonic dialogues. Almost certainly 19th or 20th CE folk wisdom attributed upward to Socrates (and others).
I thought he was a good choice...but you seem better informed.[/QUOTE]
I know I sound horribly pedantic (and maybe I am), but, if so, I apologize. The web is a fantastic source of information and of misinformation. The displacement "upward" to Socrates of that expression that is all over the web sounds like a nice thing for Socrates (in the sense that all publicity is good publicity), but it robs him of his own voice, which is one of the most challenging and beautiful in the Western experience. Sorry I reacted like this.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Every time I see them at Home Depot they are wearing flannel.
And short hair, don't forget the short hair. :rolleyes:

1430763528.png

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I thought he was a good choice...but you seem better informed.
I know I sound horribly pedantic (and maybe I am), but, if so, I apologize. The web is a fantastic source of information and of misinformation. The displacement "upward" to Socrates of that expression that is all over the web sounds like a nice thing for Socrates (in the sense that all publicity is good publicity), but it robs him of his own voice, which is one of the most challenging and beautiful in the Western experience. Sorry I reacted like this.[/QUOTE]

I found your response interesting.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
One of the most amazing artifacts I have seen in a long time is my sister-in-laws copy of the family bible. The first entries are back in the late 1600's, and trace every birth, death and marriage of the main line of the family. As someone who would love to do geneology, I was staggered. Not just the information, but looking at the handwriting of generations long past. I only wish my family had done the same. But it gives me a spur to move forward. The Scottish side will be easier than the Swedish side....since I don't speak Swedish.
I was able to trace my Swedish-Finn (ethnic Swedes living in Finland) ancestors waaaaay back because they didn't move around much. The records are excellent in Scandinavia. Likewise my husband's Catholic ancestors stayed in the same village in Germany for centuries and the priests were diligent about recording vital records. I have his folks back nearly to the 1500's.

I just joined Ancestry.com. If you're stuck somewhere, shoot me a name, approximate year of birth, place of birth (even a guess is good, just the country is fine) and a place where they may have lived, such as New York, if they emigrated there. It's ok if you don't know that either, though. Any info is helpful. I even splurged for the International package so I might be able to find something on your Swedish ancestors.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
And short hair, don't forget the short hair. :rolleyes:

1430763528.png

well, at the risk of offending any number of folks, I'll trot out one of my favorite non-PC jokes:
You know what the difference is between a Maine debutante and a cow moose?

50 pounds and a flannel shirt...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Pink oxford button-down with striped Brooks Brothers tie & blue blazer is classic CT/blue blood conservative sportswear. No straight male should have any insecurity about wearing that pink shirt. (Matching pink socks might be a little gauche, but not 'gay'. Although I probably won't be dressing in pink to go to Home Depot now :D ).
My college-aged son told me Vineyard Vines clothing, you know, with the whales is in now. Pink plaid shirts galore.

Men's Clothing: Preppy Clothes for Men - Vineyard Vines

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I was able to trace my Swedish-Finn (ethnic Swedes living in Finland) ancestors waaaaay back because they didn't move around much. The records are excellent in Scandinavia. Likewise my husband's Catholic ancestors stayed in the same village in Germany for centuries and the priests were diligent about recording vital records. I have his folks back nearly to the 1500's.

I just joined Ancestry.com. If you're stuck somewhere, shoot me a name, approximate year of birth, place of birth (even a guess is good, just the country is fine) and a place where they may have lived, such as New York, if they emigrated there. It's ok if you don't know that either, though. Any info is helpful. I even splurged for the International package so I might be able to find something on your Swedish ancestors.

You are absolutely correct about the quality of Swedish and Scandinavian genealogical information a number of family members have have amazing luck to connect to people who were of great assistance and aided in lines back to the 1300s and earlier.

Amazingly on my mother's side of the family and Clan Armstrong from Scotland the latest immigrants to this country among her ancestors was 1730. Everyone else is earlier including Edmund Freeman a founder of Sandwich, MA born in England in 1585.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Amazingly on my mother's side of the family and Clan Armstrong from Scotland the latest immigrants to this country among her ancestors was 1730. Everyone else is earlier including Edmund Freeman a founder of Sandwich, MA born in England in 1585.
We may be related by marriage. My mother's sister married a man who was descended from both the Winslows and the Whitings. My aunt still lives in the big house on the Plymouth shore.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I've never tried, but it can get complicated. In my particular case, there is believed to be an adoption involved (we are talking in the middle 1800's in Germany), a name change and probably a change from Jewish to Christian. It just seems too challenging to me.

Interestingly, however, because the descent was from Scots nobility (not very noble, as far as I can tell), my great aunt on my mother's side traced her mother's family back to the early 1700's from family records. Of course, she didn't care about any other part of the family because they weren't "important", at least to her. For everyone else, I just know back to the mid 1800's when all my known ancestors apparently came to America.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score

Thanks, Nan....I am trying to get my brother to remember the small town that Great-grandfather Carl Gustav emigrated from (as a cabin boy).

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Thanks, Nan....I am trying to get my brother to remember the small town that Great-grandfather Carl Gustav emigrated from (as a cabin boy).
A region is OK or just the country. An approximate year of birth or of emigration would be very helpful.

Reaction Score
I think you're a bit hard on her. She's young, she thinks she hears assurances whether implicit or explicit, maybe she's too shy to be explicit in her questions, maybe she really doesn't even fully know what she wants yet. I certainly agree with you about Baylor. But even so, Baylor is caught between a lot of conflicting interests here. We can/should call Baylor out for this, because it's an institution and institutions need to lead. But I think compassion is due to all sides: we're in the middle of a completely unprecedented and historic shift in values and gender identity. 25 years ago, this public discussion would have been all but impossible. Progress is extraordinarily rapid, like the Berlin Wall falling. We will never go back to the "bad old days" but we're still far from where we are going to get, and lots of individuals, institutions, and theologies are still struggling to adjust.
'
'Progress is extraordinarily rapid'? Really?
That's like the actor/actress who becomes an overnight success after working 20 years in minor roles, off-Broadway, in local theater, etc....
And, 'we will never go back to the bad old days'.....you may want to, or not want to, consider the rise in anti-semitism and racism in this country today.
I appreciate your compassionate tone and positive outlook, though.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
'
'Progress is extraordinarily rapid'? Really?
That's like the actor/actress who becomes an overnight success after working 20 years in minor roles, off-Broadway, in local theater, etc....
And, 'we will never go back to the bad old days'.....you may want to, or not want to, consider the rise in anti-semitism and racism in this country today.
I appreciate your compassionate tone and positive outlook, though.
I think in the context of my entry, I was talking quite specifically and only about acceptance of sexual difference, which in most Western democracies, IS extraordinary rapid. I wasn't talking about any other issue here. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom