Interesting article, Deseret News 9/19/16 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Interesting article, Deseret News 9/19/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If we are left out it will be because of our own football program. It's easier to point fingers at others, but we only have ourselves to blame. We have had years to make substantial improvements (i.e. hire a big name coach - would've been worth the money in the long run) and we have not done so.
Diaco was a pretty big hire. Not sure who you thought was coming to Uconn, but snagging a def. coordinator from ND on paper was a decent hire. And while people may complain about the style and the way in which his team is winning, they are winning. And the kids are playing for him.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Best thread ever
troll.jpg

Reaction Score
I interpret that list a little differently. Cincinnati has made a commitment to pay p-5 money for a football coach at over 2 million. Houston has a 5 million $ bonus if Herman gets them in a p-5. Houston AD: Herman gets $5M if we go Power 5

Looking at the list it would seem that for the most part somewhere in the 2-2.5 million $ range is the minimum commitment as far as coaches salaries for p-5 football.

The School Presidents vote on the invites. You should start from the premise that just about all of these School Presidents are of the shared opinion that ALL these football Head Coaches are vastly overpaid with their school's payout to all these Head Coaches. As such, what a school decides to pay its football coaches will be a total nonfactor with these School Presidents on what schools ultimately get an invite to all these athletic leagues, and who does not. What WILL matter to these School Presidents is how much money they believe their School will receive in any decision they will ultimately make.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
The School Presidents vote on the invites. You should start from the premise that just about all of these School Presidents are of the shared opinion that ALL these football Head Coaches are vastly overpaid with their school's payout to all these Head Coaches. As such, what a school decides to pay its football coaches will be a total nonfactor with these School Presidents on what schools ultimately get an invite to all these athletic leagues, and who does not. What WILL matter to these School Presidents is how much money they believe their School will receive in any decision they will ultimately make.

Yawkey, I usually don't agree with you, but I think you nailed it here.

Reaction Score
I think it's time you get lost. Either contribute to CR discussion or get lost.

Ho Ironic. Actually I am the one acting like an adult while giving my opinion as well as facts relevant to the discussion.

I actually was really impressed with the resume you built up for UConn but am surprised that you are acting like this. Just stop with all the butthurt and have a realistic discussion.

You an Matt do the same thing over and over all day. If anyone has a different opinion than yo do you attack and then tell them to leave. Stop being so insecure or at least hide it better.

What do you think is the minimum investment a football program should make in it's coach?

Reaction Score
KU went cheap because they were paying off the previous two coaches, who they paid 2.5 million a year each.

They seem to be getting exactly what they paid for this time around which is better than paying big money for crap results like they did the last 2.

Reaction Score
Okay, so you are actually saying nothing and just wasting everyone's time. Why are you here again?

LOL. You need to stop making things up as the posts are right there for everyone to read so they can tell you are wrong almost immediately. I get the feeling that you act like this toward anyone who doesn't share your opinion. Reeks of insecurity.

Maybe you should just put me on ignore so you can spend more time getting upset and playing the victim with somebody else as playing this game with me is not working out well for you.

I used to have some respect for you as I was impressed with you spending time to put together a resume of accomplishments. But now I see you are just like the rest of the whiners.

Reaction Score
Herman will be gone long before he ever earns that money at Houston. He won't stay there.

Diaco is paid well enough. If you look at the list, young coaches don't get paid as much until their second or third stop. Diaco is a first time HC so won't make as much. But if he can win here, somebody else will offer him $2.5-$3M. Is he then an appropriate P5 hire in your view?

Diaco is a great ambassador. He looks like a solid program builder to me. He's a decent recruiter. He's still got issues as a game coach, but that's the easiest part of the job. He's certainly not a failure.

I'm not so sure about that but if he does leave I'm sure Houston can find a replacement just like they did when all the other great coaches they had left like Briles, Sumlin, Holgerson, etc...

I think there are boosters at Houston who will write him 7 figure checks to keep tim there. He is a smart guy and if Houston gets into the Big 12 I could see him staying there as there really wouldn't be a reason to leave. Houston has proven to be a pretty goo coaching gig over the years and going to UT or LSU will certainly have a downside.

I agree that Diaco is a good fit for UConn. He is young and successful but not so much that other programs will be trying to take him, yet. But when he does have a successful season its' going to be tough to keep him IMO as he can probably double his salary pretty easily by moving at that point.

I never said Diaco wasn't' an appropriate hire nor did I say he was a failure. You just keep making stuff up. LOL. Stop already

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
What do you think is the minimum investment a football program should make in it's coach?
It's a silly question, a school should, of course, pay as little as it can for the coach it wants. UConn hired a Broyles winning, first time, head coach for 1.5; A roll of the dice for the school but if he performs he'll get paid. He already got an extension, one we may end up regretting, for getting to a low-level bowl game at 6-6 -- probably a reflection of how far we had fallen under the previous staff.
They seem to be getting exactly what they paid for this time around which is better than paying big money for crap results like they did the last 2.
Yet your argument is that they were a more committed program when they were overpaying for the same performance?

Reaction Score
You an Matt do the same thing over and over all day. If anyone has a different opinion than yo do you attack and then tell them to leave. Stop being so insecure or at least hide it better.
This is spot on

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I never said Diaco wasn't' an appropriate hire nor did I say he was a failure. You just keep making stuff up. LOL. Stop already

It's somewhat of an art form to make clear, unambiguous disparaging inferences while preserving deniability by avoiding detailed references. I mean I'm not saying that that is what you're doing here... I'm just sayin.

Reaction Score
What WILL matter to these School Presidents is how much money they believe their School will receive in any decision they will ultimately make.
Wait so you're saying it's all about money?!!!

Reaction Score
Lol. Says the lawyer of all people. Too funny!

Where in there was your statement as to whom we should have fired or what we can do that forces us to be admitted to a P-5 conference?

Reaction Score
Where in there was your statement as to whom we should have fired or what we can do that forces us to be admitted to a P-5 conference?
I have never said we should have fired anyone or that there is anything that we could do to force us to receive an invitation to a P5 conference (I don't even really know what that means tbh). Your questions are irrelevant and therefore do not merit an answer.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
+1 I love my ignorebot. Apparently, there's multiple members of my penalty box active in this thread. I think that's a first for me.

Me too. I was always against putting people on ignore as I feel it messes up the flow of a thread. But since I've instituted it today on a couple of people I don't feel like I'm missing much. Should have done it a while ago.

The down side is that it appears BizLaw is just talking to imaginary friends.

Reaction Score
Me too. I was always against putting people on ignore as I feel it messes up the flow of a thread. But since I've instituted it today on a couple of people I don't feel like I'm missing much. Should have done it a while ago.

The down side is that it appears BizLaw is just talking to imaginary friends.

Won't have been the first time. Probably won't be the last.

Reaction Score
I have never said we should have fired anyone or that there is anything that we could do to force us to receive an invitation to a P5 conference (I don't even really know what that means tbh). Your questions are irrelevant and therefore do not merit an answer.
actually, the questions are very relevant to your position. your entire viewpoint, the only input you've made in fact, over and over and over in your 30-40 posts in the past 2 days is that Uconn needs to be more 'self-reflective' on why it isn't in a P5 conference and that it needs to correct it's previous decisions. which you included the hiring of Bob Diaco as one of those poor decisions.
That along with continuing to insult Uconn fans for not being able to look at the program's flaws.

so if your position is that Uconn has made the wrong decisions, Buslaw is asking what you think are the right decisions? What can Uconn do that they haven't already done to get into a P5? What are those flaws that we are so blinded by as Uconn fans?

You can ignore the questions, add your snarky remarks, and act like you have added value to the dialogue. but in the end, you are just a blow-hard that offers nothing to the conversation, except to play the contrarian. That doesn't play well and it gets boring.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Some time ago, there was a guy named okielite. He would pose a question, debate every single post on the thread while never really giving his position, get upset when UConn fans on a UConn board would have the audacity to speak highly of UConn, play a victim card while at the same time insult most of the posters here, and make posts while never actually holding a position of any sort whatsoever...except to be annoying. If it looks like an okie, smells like an okie, and posts like an okie, it's an okie.

Ignore.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
LOL. You need to stop making things up as the posts are right there for everyone to read so they can tell you are wrong almost immediately. I get the feeling that you act like this toward anyone who doesn't share your opinion. Reeks of insecurity.

Maybe you should just put me on ignore so you can spend more time getting upset and playing the victim with somebody else as playing this game with me is not working out well for you.

I used to have some respect for you as I was impressed with you spending time to put together a resume of accomplishments. But now I see you are just like the rest of the whiners.

LAFFIN

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Me too. I was always against putting people on ignore as I feel it messes up the flow of a thread.

That was me a while back. But I started slow and found it didn't hurt a bit. I just checked and I'm up to 52.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
That was me a while back. But I started slow and found it didn't hurt a bit. I just checked and I'm up to 52.

Lol 52 on ignore? I can't name 52 posters on this site. (I know we have many more than that but I am the kind of person who is bad with names... And memory recall. Could be the 8 concussions...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom