Insult to Pat | The Boneyard

Insult to Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
These CBS half time announcers are tooooooo much. Ann Schatz claims that Pat Summit's handling of Alzheimer's is going to be her defining legacy? What bullcrap!

What an insult....to define an individual by their diagnosis...totally discounting all the woman has accomplished in her life.

PURE HORSE POOP! GET THEM OFF THE STAGE!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
These CBS half time announcers are tooooooo much. Ann Schatz claims that Pat Summit's handling of Alzheimer's is going to be her defining legacy? What bullcrap!

What an insult....to define an individual by their diagnosis...totally discounting all the woman has accomplished in her life.

Well I didn't listen to the segment, but in reading your words, you said they claim that her "handling of Alzheimer's is going to be her defining legacy". Saying that how someone handles Alzheimer's is going to be their defining legacy is a much different thing than saying she is going to be defined by the diagnosis per se.

Reaction Score

But, Dudley, how do you really feel? :p

Reaction Score
Blame her bosses for her comments or lack of smarts.....

Reaction Score
Well I didn't listen to the segment, but in reading your words, you said they claim that her "handling of Alzheimer's is going to be her defining legacy". Saying that how someone handles Alzheimer's is going to be their defining legacy is a much different thing than saying she is going to be defined by the diagnosis per se.

Do you really think Pat wants to be remembered, or should be remembered forever (Lasting legacy) for how she handled her disease? That this is the only thing people would remember when all is said and done?

What this woman said was way out of line....she couldn't have put any thought into what she said, but I don't understand why she didn't think about it....they knew the video piece on Pat was going to run at halftime. They had plenty of time to think of something meaningful, positive and uplifting to say.

Reaction Score
I can think of a 100 more (POSITIVE) things as to why I would remember Pat Summit

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Do you really think Pat wants to be remembered, or should be remembered forever (Lasting legacy) for how she handled her disease? That this is the only thing people would remember when all is said and done?

What this woman said was way out of line....she couldn't have put any thought into what she said, but I don't understand why she didn't think about it....they knew the video piece on Pat was going to run at halftime. They had plenty of time to think of something meaningful, positive and uplifting to say.

I actually agree with you - I was simply pointing out that the way you quoted them was, to me, different than what you were calling them out for

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Some will argue (a la Arthur Ashe) that her willingness to rip the veil of secrecy off of Alzheimers impacts far more people than winning a bunch of basketball games.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Some will argue (a la Arthur Ashe) that her willingness to rip the veil of secrecy off of Alzheimers impacts far more people than winning a bunch of basketball games.
Didn't know there was a veil of secrecy with Dementia, it is an epidemic in this country.

Ruffian75

Uncle Mo of Posters
Reaction Score

It is a dead horse that will be beaten well past when she retires. Leave the woman alone.

Silly me.....asking the media to leave someone alone. How are Casey Anthony and the Kardashians doing today? I am just so sick and tired of the media digging into people's lives

Every morning I watch WTNH (ABC) news from 5 to 7 and then I forget to change the channel. Then I see GMA with Robin Roberts, once a serious news person, giggling for two hours with her pretty shills while presenting two hours of Access Hollywood type news about trivial people when there are serious things going on in the world

Reaction Score
Didn't know there was a veil of secrecy with Dementia, it is an epidemic in this country.

not shocked but you all are missing the point of what they said, it is very common for an persons end to define their career and thats not just with a disease.

Lou Gehrig.........one of the great baseball players of all time...............I mean they call ALS "Lou Gehrig's disease' and you think that isn't defining

Arthur Ashe..........................

Lance Armstrong...................I have my livestrong bracelet or wait is that disrespectful to wear it? I don't want anyone to think cancer awareness or raising money for cancer overshadows the tour de france wins

jimmy v........is it a bad thing all that money the jimmy v foundation has raised because it overshadows his 'career'

John Mackey.........perhaps greatest TE defined by his struggle with dementia

Ernie Davis.............

I think you are just taking it entirely wrong. They aren't saying that people will only talk about the disease and not her wins(glad you consider that more important ha) but now you can't talk about her without talking about it.

I also love people who have attacked her on a professional and personal level towards her integrity saying things like 'leave the poor woman alone'. Now she is a 'poor woman'..........calling her that is so disrespectful but I am convinced a few of you apparenlty don't know what that word means. Fact is it just burns icebear that someone would make positive and supportive comments towards summit and her struggles he just wants people to ignore her. I am sure that he thinks the same way of people like Jimmy V, Michael J Fox and Christopher Reeves. Those men did things that made their struggles so public shined lights on things that were never hidden(like dementia) but are all things we all like to pretend aren't there because its tough and we all like to live on the easy road. If she helps bring dementia into the public eye more its a wonderful thing not a terrible thing and sure as hell is 'disrespectful'. It will prove she isn't just a coach but that she is much much more.

dudley your statement is downright offensive.

"What an insult....to define an individual by their diagnosis...totally discounting all the woman has accomplished in her life. "

-How is saying someone is bravely facing a disease that has stricken millions of americans discounting all she has accomplished? it ADDS to her legacy it doesn't diminish it. your other issue is that life is more important then basketball and you clearly don't know this. Its offensive that your concerned about her coaching legacy when her son will have to deal with his mother possibly not knowing or understanding who he is in the near future. She is a person not just a coach get that through your head please.

I mean is it offensive to you how espn handles the jimmy v foundation and all that? They named the special yearly award the ARTHUR ASHE COURAGE AWARD. I mean they gave it to the families of the guys who charged the front of a plane hijacked on 9/11. I mean they didnt name the award after him because he won a tennis tournament and you know what the stands for and what type of people it is given to. Ashe's legacy is both defined and heightened greatly by his disease..........but your going to say its disrespectful?

dudley, icebear, js and kevin g need a break from message boards because its clearly clouded their brains from real life and comments on a message board. haven't seen posts that far off base on things in real life in a long long time.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Cuse, my objection has nothing with anything you wrote about the piece. It is rather the presumption that Pat's response is in someway heroic or different, or exceptional. What she does have is access to media that few others have. I am thankful she has that and yes she can bring attention others don't. My objection is that she is in someway more heroic than the millions of people whose lives are already spent fighting this disease or that she is in someway doing something unusual. What is different is she has far more resources available than most people. On the other hand dementia is hardly a hidden disease because of the numbers affected. It has had whole issues of Newsweek, Time and other major magazines given to it. What is hidden is the devastation it brings to families trying to survive with it.

I can tell you about the 80 something husband who is so exhausted he dozed off in the car in his driveway with his wife who has Alzheimer's. He woke 5 minutes later to find his wife had already woken and wandered off leading to a two hour neighborhood search with those neighbors and friends. I can tell you about the 85 year old friend who just had a heart valve replacement and needed to stay in a nursing home for 10 weeks because his wife couldn't understand why he couldn't do the usual tasks around the house or drive her where she wanted to go, including wanting to go to "her home" two away where she grew up. Or the bright and vital engineer and great churchman who now has dementia and is forced to choose between the community of his local friends and his church and the need to move several hours away to be near his son's family so they can provide the care he will increasingly need.

I, presently, have nine individuals in my life fighting this horrible disease and have had a couple of dozen across the years. The battles of every one has been filled with heroic moments and effort. Mostly by the folks around them because it is the caregivers who suffer the greatest burdens of the disease in time. That is why they call the lives of the caregivers "The 36 Hour Day."

When Jimmy V and Kay Yow raised the battle against cancer they refused to let it be about them. They put the focus on every person who battled cancer. Every year at Penn State's Pink Zone celebration the halftime court is filled with dozens of cancer survivors who had that light put on them bringing hope to hundreds of others battling cancer.

Alzheimer's isn't about Pat it is about every family ravaged by its chaos every day. If she helps to cast her light upon them I will be the first to celebrate her contribution.

Reaction Score
I am just happy Pat got this recognition, even if it may not have been framed in a perfect way..... Pat isn't going to be defined by what some CBS commentator puts forth. Pat deserves credit for making public her dementia struggles, and CBS deserves equal credit for publicly citing her for it.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I am just happy Pat got this recognition, even if it may not have been framed in a perfect way..... Pat isn't going to be defined by what some CBS commentator puts forth. Pat deserves credit for making public her dementia struggles, and CBS deserves equal credit for publicly citing her for it.
This is true but there wasn't much choice since it was clear something had changed.

Reaction Score
These CBS half time announcers are tooooooo much. Ann Schatz claims that Pat Summit's handling of Alzheimer's is going to be her defining legacy? GET THEM OFF THE STAGE!
My guess is that Schatz was handed a script to read as part of the Summit cameo piece. Summit's misfortune is now in the hands of the fund raisers. Yes, Pat has graciously agreed to allow her name to be used to raise money for Alzheimers, but I'll bet there is a lot of pressure on the Summit family to cooperate with the big business fund raising folks. There is a good side to this and a bad side.

Reaction Score
Still, to imply that the decades of hard work Pat put into her passion is less important than a doctor's diagnosis (something that happened to her, rather than something she did) is insulting. It's true that, depending on how the next couple of years play out and how she exits the game, she might be better remembered for her disease in the long term, but I sincerely doubt that's how she wants to be remembered, and to talk that way now is inappropriate. She's still one of the most famous and successful basketball coaches ever. My first reaction on hearing the comments on CBS was that maybe they had forgotten about that.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Still, to imply that the decades of hard work Pat put into her passion is less important than a doctor's diagnosis (something that happened to her, rather than something she did) is insulting. It's true that, depending on how the next couple of years play out and how she exits the game, she might be better remembered for her disease in the long term, but I sincerely doubt that's how she wants to be remembered, and to talk that way now is inappropriate. She's still one of the most famous and successful basketball coaches ever. My first reaction on hearing the comments on CBS was that maybe they had forgotten about that.

Absolutely.

Reaction Score
I guess some of us just don't accept political correctness yet. Announcers will band wagon the current popular sentiment or whatever they think will advance their career.

Reaction Score
Absolutely.

this post and 'agreement' should be titled 'when dumb people think too hard

nobody said her career as a coach will be forgotten. It is just puzzling why you think its one or the other I mean do people not known lance armstrong was a cyclist or that jimmy v was a baseball coach/broadcaster?

do people not know kay yow was a coach? seriously you guys didnt know?

some people just don't get it it.

when a famous person gets sick its a story it doesn't overshadow anything but it is part of their legacy if they chose to make the battle public, WHICH SHE DID.

if she didn't want anyone to know or anyone to talk about it she could've done that but she has chosen bravely to go public. Now your insisting that it not be, it was her wish and her life and you will just have to deal with fact she is going to be praised for her handling of it.

I know I will regret asking but what would you have done?

had her quit and disappear and never speak or have anyone speak on it? do you think she did this to draw attention to herself?

Also do you think Jimmy V during that speech was that all about him? did he(and espn by showing it all the time and supporting the jimmy v foundation so much) make it all about himself by giving that speech? should he have just stayed silent because he isn't the only person thats had cancer?

what should she have done?

deep down for icebear there is just such a deepseeded hate of her that he just fumes at any sort of praise thrown her way. I'd actually have more respect for icebear if he was just honest.

Reaction Score
Cuse, my objection has nothing with anything you wrote about the piece. It is rather the presumption that Pat's response is in someway heroic or different, or exceptional. .

Her response to go public is heroid and is exception and is different. Vast marjority of people chose to keep their illnesses private and this goes for famous and nonfamous people alike.

There is nothing you can do or say to knock her down. give up your being so selfish you are truly embarrassing yourself with the idea that her going public is somehow insulting to herself lol.

Reaction Score
I think Cusefan's list makes the point of the original post. Only Gehrig and Armstrong on the list compare to Summitt in terms of what they accomplished in sport. And in Gehrig's and Armstrong's cases it strikes me as silly to claim that their main legacy related to their disease. So I believe it will be with Summitt.

Reaction Score
I think Cusefan's list makes the point of the original post. Only Gehrig and Armstrong on the list compare to Summitt in terms of what they accomplished in sport. And in Gehrig's and Armstrong's cases it strikes me as silly to claim that their main legacy related to their disease. So I believe it will be with Summitt.

I hope that is true. Basketball is obviously her passion, and she deserves to be remembered for that.

Armstrong is actually a good example: personally, when I think of him, I think [personal opinion], good bike rider, Livestrong, and yeah, all that Livestrong stuff is for cancer research and awareness. Although his good work related to his illness is not forgotten and may well have the most lasting impact on society, he is mostly acknowledged first for his accomplishments and dedication in his chosen field of work. I imagine that's how most people in comparable situations would want to be remembered.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
this post and 'agreement' should be titled 'when dumb people think too hard
there is just such a deepseeded hate of her that he just fumes at any sort of praise thrown her way. I'd actually have more respect for icebear if he was just honest.
Settle down. Your hysteria adds nothing to this thread. Why you need to resort to name-calling and hyperbole (icebear hates PHS?) is beyond me.

Reaction Score
I hope that is true. Basketball is obviously her passion, and she deserves to be remembered for that.

Armstrong is actually a good example: personally, when I think of him, I think [personal opinion], good bike rider, Livestrong, and yeah, all that Livestrong stuff is for cancer research and awareness. Although his good work related to his illness is not forgotten and may well have the most lasting impact on society, he is mostly acknowledged first for his accomplishments and dedication in his chosen field of work. I imagine that's how most people in comparable situations would want to be remembered.

but apparently being remembered for a great accomplishment is somehow offensive?

Like probably 95% of people with livestrong bracelets(and actually more) I haven't seen a single second of lance armstrong in a race live on TV, however I know all about his cancer struggle and livestrong.

I think thats incredible legacy however to select uconn fans its 'offensive' to armstrong that I think that.

Do you think armstrong would find it offensive if someone said a big part of his legacy is the cancer and the livestrong?

seriously would someone answer that, do you think armstrong would find it offensive that cancer/livestrong is big part of his legacy?

I mean the guy wrote a book about it is that something you do about something that you would be offended by if someone thought about?

instead of hiding, blocking people, and immature 'settle down' comments lets have icebear answer a question.

Is lance armstrong offended by his legacy?(answer is no)

why should pat summit be?(love to read an answer of why she should be offended by idea that fighting dementia at end of her career adds to her legacy and not why your offended but why should she be. we know why your offended.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom