OT: - Inspiring message from Kara Lawson | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Inspiring message from Kara Lawson

Reaction Score
Kara gets it. Her speech reminds me of one by Tom Hanks in A League of Their Own, talking about baseball.

“It’s supposed to be hard! It’s the hard that makes it great.”
That was a movie! I disagree with the concept: However, you train hard so that you are READY when it really gets hard. Life is hard, if you are prepared for it, it is less hard. It does not have to be difficult. It becomes difficult if you are not prepared. I been through 2 boot camps, it was hard for some, for some not so much. I enjoyed both.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
IMHO, Kara would have been a "perfect fit" at her alma mater Tennessee. They missed a golden opportunity in not hiring her. Tennessee wanted to replace Holly Warlick with a with a coach with prior HC experience. Kara had no prior HC experience at that time.

Kara likes Duke and is grateful for the opportunity she's been given, But she loves Ol' Rockytop, and if given the choice, probably would prefer to coach there. I don't see KARA at UConn. If Geno has any input in naming his successor, it will be one of his former players. ;)
She was a constant companion for Pat in Pat's final days. That is TRUE loyalty to a mentor. That alone makes her a superb
person. She received my love, doing that--the really hard stuff of life. Pat had to be some mentor to get that kind of loyalty.
Kara, on TV was my favorite basketball expert, she knows the game.

Reaction Score
Yes, thanks for sharing. Great line "They're waiting for the easy bus to come around" And it's the truth.
As for the Tennessee job, I thought she wasn't interested. Not sure why she decided to coach Duke, but I wish her well. They are lucky to have her.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Regardless of what Duke did, I see no wisdom in hiring anyone who has never coached anything

Regardless of what Duke did, I see no wisdom in hiring anyone who has never coached anything.
How abt being An assistant with the Celtics? Kinda turned out pretty well for a young man who was an assistant at Virginia

Reaction Score
When she posted this on IG the other day, I was geeked watching it then like I am just now. Coach Lawson just has the "IT" factor. All of her talks to the players, if you check them out, are always on point. She just keeps dropping "mind candy" and I love it!! She is an awesome person, coach, and leader. I keep hoping that her Duke players get it together so that we can see her in a Final Four setting. I just love to hear her talk!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Seems like these produced videos are a thing now and are being used for recruiting purposes.

Coach arranges for videographer to film a speech to the team, the camera focuses solely on the coach (team not in the video) and then the coach or program puts the video out on social media. Saw that Tennessee did something very similar just yesterday.

Reaction Score
How abt being An assistant with the Celtics? Kinda turned out pretty well for a young man who was an assistant at Virginia

Do you really believe it was anything but a public relations hire? Do you really believe the millionaire Celtic's players, who already had real, experienced, NBA coaches, paid much attention to her?

Lawson was a ESPN talking head. ESPN has NBA contract. Lawson wanted to coach, but had no experience. Celtics hire her to give her coaching experience on her resume, and the Celtics got credit for hiring a woman and a minority.

Reaction Score
Do you really believe it was anything but a public relations hire? Do you really believe the millionaire Celtic's players, who already had real, experienced, NBA coaches, paid much attention to her?

Lawson was a ESPN talking head. ESPN has NBA contract. Lawson wanted to coach, but had no experience. Celtics hire her to give her coaching experience on her resume, and the Celtics got credit for hiring a woman and a minority.

Or maybe they hired her because she impressed them in the interview with her knowledge of the game and her command presence. Maybe just maybe she was what the were looking for in an assistant coach and person. To write it off because of her gender and race is just too GD easy for the narrow minded and disrespectful to her and every other women or minority. Be better. Please.
You’d be surprised how much the NBA players respect the women of basketball. Players know which former players know the game. Male or female.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score

IMHO everyone seeking to climb to the top of their profession of choice, be it man or woman, has to be an assistant or apprentice, they just wanna get their foot in the door, learning as they go along, im sure Kara being a smart woman picked up lots of experience playing under Pat Summitt and working as a analyst for ESPN, wht you may call a public relations hire I call giving a person a chance to educate themselves and be around others in their soon to be profession, imo if ur thinking was correct thn I guess Bill Russell being the winner of 11 championships, 2 as a player coach, was only an public relations hire, and if so it turned out pretty well for a black man in 1966 a time where minorities were often denied the chances given to others. Kudos to the Celtics and to Kara! And I thk tht she's a great hire for Duke. Time will tell.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Thank you for your interest in the Boston Celtics, Kara Lawson, ESPN Media, and the Equal Rights Amendment.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Yes, Kara didn't have college coaching experience, but this is what she did have:

As a studio analyst and a game commentator, she had access to practices of any team she was covering.
She had access to the coaches of any team she was covering.
She had access to players of any team she was covering.

Talking to Tara, Vic, Jeff, Dawn, Kim, and of course, Geno. Don't you think that she has picked up any coaching tips by talking to these coaches, not to mention how they conduct their practices. She has the knowledge of the game from personal experiences as well as her dealings with the fore mentioned coaches. The only think she needed was the temperament, and the drive to succeed. WELL, HELLO, if you can't see that in her, then you are blind.

I think she has what it takes to be a good one, but only time will tell.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Did you bother to look anything up or just decide to throw crap against the wall and hope it stuck?

Lawson helped USA make history in the summer of 2021 as she guided the United States 3x3 Women’s National Team to a gold medal in its Olympic debut in Tokyo. It marked her 10th overall gold medal in USA Basketball competition and seventh as a coach.

Recently, Lawson assisted USA Basketball’s 3x3 team qualification for the Tokyo Olympic Games, where the squad posted an 8-1 record and won the gold medal. She has helped USA Basketball 3x3 teams to seven gold medals since 2017. With Lawson on the sideline, the USA U18 women have won four straight titles (2021 Olympics, 2017 & 2019 FIBA 3x3 U18 World Cups and 2018 Youth Olympic Games) while the U18 men captured gold at the 2019 FIBA 3x3 U18 World Cup. Additionally, Lawson helped guide the USA 3x3 men’s and women’s teams to first place finishes at the 2019 Pan American Games.

1657504457835.jpeg

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom