OT: - Inspiring message from Kara Lawson | The Boneyard

OT: Inspiring message from Kara Lawson

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Kara gets it. Her speech reminds me of one by Tom Hanks in A League of Their Own, talking about baseball.

“It’s supposed to be hard! It’s the hard that makes it great.”

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Vancat a big thumbs up to you for posting this. I nominate this post for “post of the week.” Every word Kara said was true. I know this message was directed to her team, but every high school and college athlete in America needs to hear this message, and act accordingly. :cool:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Kara gets it. Her speech reminds me of one by Tom Hanks in A League of Their Own, talking about baseball.

“It’s supposed to be hard! It’s the hard that makes it great.”
He also said “there's no crying in baseball.” :) He could have substituted basketball for baseball and still been correct.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Still waiting to find something not to like about this woman. I have a feeling that will never happen. She's at the top of the list of non Husky affiliated basketball people that I love.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I could see her dad, the military man, giving Kara that message as a teenager again and again. Tough guy that he was he didn't want her to go to Tennessee. When she did he turned his back on her for years. She was tough as nails at Tennessee, but she went to Tennessee with the nails already embedded.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
She sounds like my DS back in basic training in 73 at Fort Knox. But she was much nicer in the delivery of the message and not an inch away from my face. She delivered it in an even keel monotone and not screaming at the top of her lungs waving her arms and jabbing my forehead at the same time like my DS did. They were both correct, but I wished she had been my DS instead of the angry SFC scared the S*** out of us for the first 5 weeks of basic.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
@MSGRET speaking of military I love that Kara is liberally borrowing form a junior member of the US Armed Services.

1657220463226.png

Reaction Score
What an impressive person Kara Lawson is! I think Duke has a real winner there and will soon be back among the elites! She always impressed me as a player and an analyst and now is bringing that same level of competence to her coaching. I wish her great success and happiness.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
i like kara OK, but she ain't presenting the full picture ... may be a good message for impressionable kids, but her speech is full of holes ... everybody must face reality eventually, some sooner than others, and finally they'll find it's fine if all their aspirations are not as imagined.

so i believe, as a dissenting opinion

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I mentioned this last year. I hated her as a college player, learned to respect her as a member of the Sun, and ended up loving her as an analyst. It seems that I could go even higher if she coaches like she preaches. Wouldn't it be a hoot if she was asked to take over at UConn when Geno retires. LMAO

Carnac

Reaction Score
I mentioned this last year. I hated her as a college player, learned to respect her as a member of the Sun, and ended up loving her as an analyst. It seems that I could go even higher if she coaches like she preaches. Wouldn't it be a hoot if she was asked to take over at UConn when Geno retires. LMAO
IMHO, Kara would have been a "perfect fit" at her alma mater Tennessee. They missed a golden opportunity in not hiring her. Tennessee wanted to replace Holly Warlick with a with a coach with prior HC experience. Kara had no prior HC experience at that time.

Kara likes Duke and is grateful for the opportunity she's been given, But she loves Ol' Rockytop, and if given the choice, probably would prefer to coach there. I don't see KARA at UConn. If Geno has any input in naming his successor, it will be one of his former players. ;)

Reaction Score
Tennessee should’ve hired her! Her rep and personality plus the schools legendary basketball history would’ve been a deadly recruiting combo!! How’d they miss that?
Regardless of what Duke did, I see no wisdom in hiring anyone who has never coached anything.

Reaction Score
Regardless of what Duke did, I see no wisdom in hiring anyone who has never coached anything.
Good thing Golden State didn’t seek your advice. Also I believe Kara has coaching experience just not at the NCAA level.
She began her coaching career as an assistant coach for the Boston Celtics of the NBA in 2019. Additionally I believe she coached 3x3.

Reaction Score
No attack here but anyone who has ever been coached can pass on that knowledge. That and gone on to the highest levels of a sport have a bounty of knowledge to share / pass on.
I'll will gladly eat the crow on this topic if she fails. I simply think she has the brand name and savvy to recruit which is job one in any college sport.
The girl knows the game, is respected at all levels and has the fortitude to ignore detractors.
Both your and my wisdom is in question here, let's see how it plays out. I think she finds success. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom