Inside the gym w/Evina Westbrook | The Boneyard

Inside the gym w/Evina Westbrook

Reaction Score
I like that she says that she wants to be a Top 3 draft pick her senior year. Hope she stays that long!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I was quite surprised that her first reference on this video to her new coach was to "Geno". Later she referred to "Coach Geno". That is a major departure from precedent. As far as I know, every UConn player during her active college career has referred to him as "Coach". Maya was calling him by that name several years after she graduated. I'm pretty sure this won't go unnoticed, and that one of the seniors will speak to her about it.

Reaction Score
I was quite surprised that her first reference on this video to her new coach was to "Geno". Later she referred to "Coach Geno". That is a major departure from precedent. As far as I know, every UConn player during her active college career has referred to him as "Coach". Maya was calling him by that name several years after she graduated. I'm pretty sure this won't go unnoticed, and that one of the seniors will speak to her about it.

I believe Anna and Paige has also called him coach Geno, maybe it’s something new.

Reaction Score

I have seen other recent players called him "Geno", for example

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I would suggest playing 2 years at UConn to maximize her development. Azura short-changed her development.
When last we spoke you and I agreed on that. Sometimes relieving short term financial problems impedes long term success.

Reaction Score
I still remember my surprise encounter with Geno, Morgan, and Moriah outside of the Orlando Airport the summer before their senior year. I was so starstruck that I just exclaimed, "Geno!!! Can I get a photo?" Looking back, I wish I would have addressed him as Coach Auriemma, but I was just too excited :D All three of them were so kind and courteous during the whole thing. I wish I could turn back time and tell them how proud and excited I was for all of them (and how I, along with 99% of America, was predicting the 4-peat);) Oh well, maybe one of them actually reads the BY and sees it now <3

"In a world where you can be anything...be KIND"

Reaction Score
When last we spoke you and I agreed on that. Sometimes relieving short term financial problems impedes long term success.
Your (the philosophical YOU) fixing short term financial issues often allows long term issues to be corrected. I don't believe in putting off for tomorrow today's problems. That's just me.
But regardless of how she chooses to fix her problems belong to her.
In terms of how she fixes Uconn issues we fans see and comment on all of them --right or wrong that's the world of being in a UCWBB uniform. Of one thing I'm certain this young woman has a future as great or tiny as she decides it should be. I'm totally impressed with her.
Aside from all that baloney- (mine not yours) she is one talented young lady. I had a completely different view or idea of her--the ORANGE tainted my mentality.

Reaction Score
I got to watch this young lady in High School. She is a gem. She is a great kid. Played with Katie McWilliams (OSU) in Salem, OR. When this kid gets on the court, UCONN coaching staff gains considerable flexibility in how UCONN can match up vs. their competition.

Reaction Score
Any idea WHEN we'll hear about the waiver request? Heard of many others allowed so far... are they doing it alphabetically?

Reaction Score
Any idea WHEN we'll hear about the waiver request? Heard of many others allowed so far... are they doing it alphabetically?
I’m not sure if the waiver was denied or if they just decided a redshirt year was in Collins’ best interest, but if it was denied, the chances of Westbrook’s waiver appear slim to none.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I’m not sure if the waiver was denied or if they just decided a redshirt year was in Collins’ best interest, but if it was denied, the chances of Westbrook’s waiver appear slim to none.

Odd phrasing. Was the waiver petition denied?

The respective cases for transferring (and thus waiver petitions) are/were different. Collins left because Holly was fired. That's not true wrt Westbrook. That's not to say the outcomes will be different.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

While there are obvious similarities between Collins and Evina, there is a key difference that may actually give Evina a better chance for the waiver. Collins left specifically because HW was fired. As you are probably aware, a player signs a scholarship with the school, not the coach. I don’t know of any waiver granted solely on the basis of a HC’s firing.

On the other hand, Evina left TN in part because of a level of abuse on social media and who knows where else. We certainly don’t know all the facts in Evina’s case, but if she can document that the abuse she received created an unhealthy environment at TN, she has a better chance than Collins to secure a waiver.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If I had her shake and bake, shot, moves I coulda been a contender. She is one tough defensive assignment. Now NCAA, NOW--what is the point of waiting?
Interesting point you raise; "she will be one tough defensive assignment." The key with Geno, of course, is how good is she defensively? I am sure she will soon become great, if she isn't already. But I don't think she was known for defense at Tennessee. Anyone have any insights here?

Reaction Score
Interesting point you raise; "she will be one tough defensive assignment." The key with Geno, of course, is how good is she defensively? I am sure she will soon become great, if she isn't already. But I don't think she was known for defense at Tennessee. Anyone have any insights here?

Tenn's defense has been based on ball pressure. Full court presses & half court traps. UConn's bread and butter has been a switching MTM along with some zone presses. It's going to take time because it's a team thing, everyone has to know what everyone else is doing. But if she is the athlete many say then she should pick it up. I don't know if Makurat has any experience with that defense but if she does it could be her battling with Westbrook for playing time.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Europeans usually play zone, I believe, so Anna will have to learn man-to-man defense most likely.

Reaction Score
Some film on Evina:

She had a pretty solid game vs. Mississippi State in the SEC tournament (19 points, 6 assists, 6 turnovers):

She really struggled in the turnover department against more athletic teams (South Carolina, Mississippi State, UCLA), but that should be alleviated playing beside Crystal and/or Paige. She has terrific court awareness and vision.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
From this afternoon's story in the Baltimore Sun:

No waiver for Collins

The addition of former Tennessee forward and McDonald’s All-American Mimi Collins in May had raised expectations around the program. But the Waldorf native did not get a waiver from the NCAA and will sit out the upcoming season.

The 6-foot-3 Collins averaged 5.5 points and 3.4 rebounds in 14½ minutes per game as a freshman last season for the Lady Volunteers and shot just over 50 percent from the field, including 8-of-15 from 3-point range. Frese said she is looking forward to Collins returning for her sophomore year in the 2020-21 season.

“Excited about what she’s going to be able to bring to the table with her size, talent,” Frese said. “The opportunity for her to focus both in the classroom as well as in the court and use that a year after we graduate four seniors is going to be really invaluable to this team.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom