Injury update | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Injury update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
While it is fair game to question Why INJURIES, it is unfair to blame anyone for the unknown. 3 straight years of important injuries deserves an answer if an answer is possible. For the benefit of the TEAM, the coaches and yes the fans.
God decided UConn had enough success and decided to level the playing field. :rolleyes:

Do you think the UConn staff and/or players are doing it on purpose? There's no conspiracy here.

Reaction Score
It’s possible Ice could start, but I think only if it’s absolutely necessary. Going forward, they might be very careful with that injury she had, a slipped patella can slip again even after surgery, especially in athletes. It’s similar to a dislocated shoulder, once you do it, it can pop out again. On a positive note, her 3 pt shooting has been off the charts good, not to mention her size around the basket, so she will see significant minutes.
Off the charts good? I must have missed something! If we somehow manage to win this game (pretty unlikely) it will be a huge deal! I’ve never seen anything like this seemingly never ending streak of injuries! This game though, as nice as it would be to win, will not determine the outcome of this season. Of course, we’d like to win but more important than winning or losing is the overall play of the team. Will our freshmen continue to play well?
Can Ice continue the improvement we’ve seen since the NC State game? Personally, especially since the most recent injuries, I believe she, more than any of the others, holds the key to the continuing growth of this team. Clearly we’ve hit the jackpot with this group of freshmen, but Ice is really the one who can elevate this team if she can step up and provide effective minutes in the frontcourt! I’m just hoping for continued effort on the defensive end, strong play from all but especially from Paige, and no injuries! A win would be gravy.

Reaction Score
While it is fair game to question Why INJURIES, it is unfair to blame anyone for the unknown. 3 straight years of important injuries deserves an answer if an answer is possible. For the benefit of the TEAM, the coaches and yes the fans.
Finding solutions is different than assigning blame. The idea that any trainer is not preparing players to the best of their ability really doesn’t deserve discussion. People need to be reminded of the other times we’ve had terrible injuries to multiple starters and also of the many years we’ve had nothing but a few scratches and bruises. These things happen to all teams, in all sports.

Reaction Score
The ongoing disparaging comments about the training staff for any injuries sustained is borderline nuts. Stuff happens to people all the time. No one’s fault. Our kids have one of the very best staffs and some of the best resources of anyone. Are you blaming our staff for the ND player pushing AE into Azzi?
I remember that push ... very Well..... It was painful to watch and Painful to remember!!

Reaction Score
The injuries to Fudd and Ducharme are terrible for them and the program. I truly wonder if either will ever be back at a high level again when or if they return.

Hope I'm not breaking a rule by sharing that but I suspect others have thought it too.

Reaction Score
Off the charts good? I must have missed something! If we somehow manage to win this game (pretty unlikely) it will be a huge deal! I’ve never seen anything like this seemingly never ending streak of injuries! This game though, as nice as it would be to win, will not determine the outcome of this season. Of course, we’d like to win but more important than winning or losing is the overall play of the team. Will our freshmen continue to play well?
Can Ice continue the improvement we’ve seen since the NC State game? Personally, especially since the most recent injuries, I believe she, more than any of the others, holds the key to the continuing growth of this team. Clearly we’ve hit the jackpot with this group of freshmen, but Ice is really the one who can elevate this team if she can step up and provide effective minutes in the frontcourt! I’m just hoping for continued effort on the defensive end, strong play from all but especially from Paige, and no injuries! A win would be gravy.
Yes, this game Ice did not shoot well from beyond the arc like she did a couple games ago. IMHO Nika was a big liability, she seemed afraid to shoot open shots at some times, or go to the hoop even on fast breaks. 32 min and only 3 assists, 6pts. Looking to pass the ball to a teammate when you’re wide open usually results in a TO.

Reaction Score
IMHO, the coaching, S&C, and medical staff evaluate a player's progress after surgery, and decide whether they can move forward with activities or not. They will not rush players back, as this is not a pro sports team

Could we not blame the S&C staff (again) for injuries? Concussions happen. Other injuries have nothing to do with the training staff. Many players are coming into college with lingering issues from all the hoop they play year round.
Has HIPAA changed the game in prospect evaluation?

Azzi, Ayanna and Ice (maybe more) came to UConn with problems arising from high school injuries. I don’t know what Geno knew about those injuries before signing them. I’m asking - not criticizing.

In the old days, coaches could get all sorts of medical info. Now, they can only get info from or with permission of the player/parent. So, the question arises as to whether the staff is getting sufficient medical info before anccepting commitments ? Are they giving prospects more benefit of the doubt than other coaching staffs?

I could be wrong on this but it seems that UConn gets commitments from top 10-ish prospects earlier than other programs. My opinion is that Geno is an old school bound-by-his-word person. Thus he is not the type to accept a commitment in January and then not take the player who gets injured after commitment but before UConn is bound.

I dunno I’m just throwing this out there as a possibility of a ( not “the”) reason for UConn’s rash of injuries.

@HuskyNan . @temery Letting you know up front about this post so you can zap early if you feel it is inappropriate

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The ongoing disparaging comments about the training staff for any injuries sustained is borderline nuts. Stuff happens to people all the time. No one’s fault. Our kids have one of the very best staffs and some of the best resources of anyone. Are you blaming our staff for the ND player pushing AE into Azzi?
Many players in college ball come to college with past problems with knees, hips, back, etc. Azzi is case in point. Likewise Caroline. No surprises when they go down with injuries. None.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom